06 Ranking of Dental School based on admission stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A frequently asked and debated question on SDN relates to the ease or difficulty of entering a particular dental school. The assessment is a difficult process even when using only objective criteria. There are a number of objective parameters which can be used to assess how competitive a particular school happens to be. These parameters include the DAT scores (AA and PA), the GPA (overall and science), the number of applicants, the number of position available for first year matriculants, residency, and minority status.

The following ranking of top and bottom ten school is based upon AA, PA, GPA (overall), GPA (science), composite of DAT and GPA scores and on the ratio of applicants to enrollees. While the composite AA and GPA score (the AA, PA, GPA-o and GPA-sci scores are added together) may be of questionable value, it is, nonetheless, an empirical value which can be used to rank school. Such a system is, in fact, being used to rank applicants by at least one dental school in the country. The relevant statistical information used was obtained from the 2007 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

It should be evident to all applicants that there is no school that is a slam dunk for acceptance. There are, however, certain schools to which gaining acceptance is less of a challenge in terms of applicant/enrollees ratio. For example, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana have the most favorable applicant/enrollee ratios; however, this advantage is of value only to residents of the states in question. Louisiana accepted only 2 non residents out of 60 first year enrollees. UT-SA with has a favorable applicant/enrollee ratio but it ranks 3rd in overall GPA. It should be stressed that the rankings are strictly intended as a guide to applicants. The absolute values can easily be misinterpreted. Lower DAT or GPA value does not mean the schools are less competitive for the particular pool of applicants. For example Boston, Loma Linda and UOP have a low GPA ranking but rate among the top in the nation for DAT scores. Meharry and Howard may have low DAT and GPA rankings, however, Howard and Meharry have very high applicant/enrollees ratios making them very competitive for the minority group. Puerto Rico may have low DAT and GPA score and a favorable applicants/enrollees ratio, however, these advantages are meaningful only to applicants that are both residents and of hispanic origin. Puerto Rico accepted only 2 out of state applicants and 2 non hispanics (Native Americans). It is hoped that this post will encourage applicants to analyze the available data and help them make an objective choice when deciding what school to apply to.

Code:
		Top Ten				

School	AA	School	PA	School	GPA-o	School	GPA Sci
Harvard	24.4	Harvard	21.6	Neb	3.78	Harvard	3.77
Columb  22.16	Washin	20.33	Harvard	3.77	SUNY SB	3.72
UCLA	22	UCLA	20	UT-SA	3.74	Neb	3.7
Washing	21.22	Maryl	20	SUNY SB	3.71	Colo	3.66
SUNY SB	21	Boston	20	Colo	3.71	Penn	3.63
Penn	21	S Carol	19.89	Iowa	3.7	Iowa	3.63
UCSF	20.6	UOP	19.7	Penn	3.68	UCLA	3.6
UOP	20.5	Loma L	19.7	UCLA	3.65	S Ill	3.6
Conn	20	Colo	19.6	S Ill	3.64	UT-SA	3.6
USC	20	Mich	19.25	Missou	3.64	Missou	3.6

Bottom Ten				
School	AA	School	PA	School	GPA-0	School	GPA-Sci
Kentu	18.44	Baylor	17.8	Puerto R3.45	UOP	3.29
Marq	18.44	UT-Hou	17.8	Tufts	3.41	Nevada	3.26
Missou	18.3	Kentu	17.64	UOP	3.37	Virgini	3.25
Louis   18	UMDNJ	17.58	Virg	3.36	Loma Lin3.24
Tenn	18	Louis	17	Temple	3.33	Arizona	3.21
W.VA	18	W. Va	17	NY	3.29	Temple	3.19
Miss	17.4	Miss	16.9	Loma L	3.27	NY	3.16
Howard	17	Howard	16	Boston	3.23	Boston	3.11
Meharry	16	Puerto R16	Meharry	3.1	Howard	3
Puerto R15	Meharry	15	Howard	3.09	Meharry	2.9

Top Ten		Bottom Ten		Top Ten		Bottom Ten	

School	AA+GPA	School	AA+GPA	School	App/Enrol	School	App/Enr
Harvard	53.54	NY	43.31	Arizona	      54	UT-SA	11
UCLA	49.25	Kentu	42.97	SUNyYsb	      44	Missou	10
Wash	48.46	Tenn	42.81	Case	      42	Oklah	10
Colum	48.15	Missou	42.64	Marq	      37	Minn	9
SUNYsb	47.43	Louisv	42.03	Conn	      35	UT-Hou	9
Penn	47.31	W. Va	41.94	Boston	      34	Puerto R7
UCSF	46.98	Miss	41.48	Nevada	      34	Louis	6
UOP	46.86	Howard	39.09	Creigh	      33	Tenn	6
Colo	46.57	Puerto R37.78	Louisv	      30	Georgia	4
S Carol	46.36	Meharry	37	Temple	      29	Miss	4

Members don't see this ad.

By giving validity to ranking dental schools based of admissions stats, one assumes:

1) The higher stats of entering dental school freshmen will make them better dentists.

2) Dental school training of dental students does not affect the quality of graduating dentists.

3) Admission stats is reflective of the stats that the students will achieve while in dental school.

I do not think that admission stats is what makes a quality dental school. I would be more interested in parameters such as Dental Board Scores, percentage of students that successfully specialize, and even evaluations by dental graduates on their dental education experience, etc..

entering stats have no bearing on the quality of dentists produced by a school. your patients dont care where you went to school or what undergrad GPA and DAT scores got you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
By ranking dental schools based of admissions stats, one assumes:

1) The higher stats of entering dental school freshmen will make them better dentists.

2) Dental school training of dental students does not affect the quality of graduating dentists.

3) Admission stats is reflective of the stats that the students will achieve while in dental school.

I am not sure that is what makes a quality dental school. I would be more interested in Dental Board Scores, percentage of students that successfully
specialize, and even followup evaluations by dental graduates on their dental education, etc..

i dont completely agree with this...you tend to notice that those schools who have the highest entering GPAs and DATs also tend to have the highest board scores...ie. Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, etc... and the reason they are competitive to get into is because they want students who can withstand the rigor of the program and GET those high board scores

does this mean that students who don't go to "highly" ranked schools based on entrance stats will be bad dentists? of course not...if anything they will probably be better clinicians. nevertheless, entrance stats, very much like undergrad entrance stats, are a good indication of the sort of students being admitted to the schools...saying that this means nothing is like claiming that community college courses are just as difficult as courses in a top ranked and extremely competitive 4 year institution

or atleast...thats what i think. feel free to disagree.

i dont completely agree with this...you tend to notice that those schools who have the highest entering GPAs and DATs also tend to have the highest board scores...ie. Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, etc... and the reason they are competitive to get into is because they want students who can withstand the rigor of the program and GET those high board scores

does this mean that students who don't go to "highly" ranked schools based on entrance stats will be bad dentists? of course not...if anything they will probably be better clinicians. nevertheless, entrance stats, very much like undergrad entrance stats, are a good indication of the sort of students being admitted to the schools...saying that this means nothing is like claiming that community college courses are just as difficult as courses in a top ranked and extremely competitive 4 year institution

or atleast...thats what i think. feel free to disagree.

Though I do agree that a correlation may exist between admission stats and stats achieved during dental school, I think the presentation of ranking dental schools should be based on the latter and not the former. This is because the rankings based dental training (e.g board results, specialization, etc.) is more reflective of a quality education (and thus the quality of the dental school) which is in contrast to the rigid admissions criteria established by an administrative committee which may or may not know much about quality dental training.

By giving validity to ranking dental schools based of admissions stats, one assumes:

I do not think that admission stats is what makes a quality dental school. I would be more interested in parameters such as Dental Board Scores, percentage of students that successfully specialize, and even evaluations by dental graduates on their dental education experience, etc..

dmd2011 said:
entering stats have no bearing on the quality of dentists produced by a school. your patients dont care where you went to school or what undergrad GPA and DAT scores got you there.

masterDDS said:
higher stat = better school?

Maybe you guys should read the original post again...

Sorry, I misread the intent of the title of "06 Ranking of Dental Schools based on admission stats". I think it should more appropriately be retitled "06 Ranking of acceptance into dental schools based on admission stats".

However, I like the discussion of the now modified thread.

harvard's average academic average is 24.4? that's ridiculous.

Sorry, I misread the intent of the title of "06 Ranking of Dental Schools based on admission stats". I think it should more appropriately be retitled "06 Ranking of acceptance into dental schools based on admission stats".

However, I like the discussion of the now modified thread.

Make a new thread then.

How can ADEA put out statistics for 2007 when this application cycle is not even done yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
harvard's average academic average is 24.4? that's ridiculous.

Time to make the DAT harder, I think. It's too easy having random guessing affect one's score when it's towards the higher end.

But those are some smart kids at Harvard, UCLA, and Columbia. Wowzers.

I find it very interesting that dental schools are not officially ranked.

I read somewhere that dental schools stopped using a ranking system in an effort to differentiate themselves from medical schools.

Time to make the DAT harder, I think. It's too easy having random guessing affect one's score when it's towards the higher end.

But those are some smart kids at Harvard, UCLA, and Columbia. Wowzers.

Hasn't it gotten harder? I haven't looked into it, but it seems that the SDN scores took a dive since 2007 started. anyone else notice this?

okay guys. harvard has a very small class size. so if you think about it, its not as hard as you think to make that average a 24. take the top 30 kids from any dental school and you'll see the averages go way up too.

one assumes nothing, your assuming all this!!

I totally agree.

Also, I really think they should add a physics section to the DAT. Like they have with the MCAT.

they HAVE made the exam more difficult...i too have noticed the dive in scores lately. we've yet to see anyone hit 20+ on all sections, or an AA above 21 in months, which either means 1) the exam has indeed gotten more difficult, or 2) these students have had to juggle school and studying for the DAT, resulting in lower scores

i'm willing to put my money on #1

ppl on SDN are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too focused on stats. i hope everyone knows that just because your stats may match the averages in this thread that you are not assured an interview or an acceptance. there is more to an application than stats, i hope everyone here realizes that.

How come NYU isnt listed ?

they HAVE made the exam more difficult...i too have noticed the dive in scores lately. we've yet to see anyone hit 20+ on all sections, or an AA above 21 in months, which either means 1) the exam has indeed gotten more difficult, or 2) these students have had to juggle school and studying for the DAT, resulting in lower scores

You haven't seen anyone hit 20+ in all sections? You haven't seen a 21 in how long? What group of students are you referring to?

I read somewhere that dental schools stopped using a ranking system in an effort to differentiate themselves from medical schools.

Or that the ranking system doesn't really provide an indication of how good a school actually is? Most rankings are based on research dollars the school takes in and faculty opinions of their program. Even med school rankings are disgustingly subjective.

Or perhaps the ranking system doesn't really provide an indication of how good a school actually is? Most rankings are based on research dollars the school takes in and faculty opinions of their program. Even med school rankings are disgustingly subjective.

How come NYU isnt listed ?

Actually it was listed. For FYI

AA at 19.06 = #31
PA at 17.80 = #45
GPA-o at 3.29=51
GPA-sci at 3.16=#53
DAT+GPA at 43.31=#47
applicants/enrollee at 17=#37

Is there a school in Puerto Rico? Under the original post under the bottom ten category, it says Puerto Rico. I didn't know there was a school there, unless I am mistaken...

I think we will know when the summer scores start comming in

Does anyone know anything about the Puerto Rico school. I just did a little searching but the website doesn't work. Good/bad school?

Does anyone know anything about the Puerto Rico school. I just did a little searching but the website doesn't work. Good/bad school?

Puerto Rico Accepts roughly 5 "out of staters" each year and it is a requirement to be fluent in Spanish

Good job. If you have more time, can you do the list for all of the schools, from highest to lowest [gpa, science gpa, dat, pat]. :D

A frequently asked and debated question on SDN relates to the ease or difficulty of entering a particular dental school. The assessment is a difficult process even when using only objective criteria. There are a number of objective parameters which can be used to assess how competitive a particular school happens to be. These parameters include the DAT scores (AA and PA), the GPA (overall and science), the number of applicants, the number of position available for first year matriculants, residency, and minority status.

The following ranking of top and bottom ten school is based upon AA, PA, GPA (overall), GPA (science), composite of DAT and GPA scores and on the ratio of applicants to enrollees. While the composite AA and GPA score (the AA, PA, GPA-o and GPA-sci scores are added together) may be of questionable value, it is, nonetheless, an empirical value which can be used to rank school. Such a system is, in fact, being used to rank applicants by at least one dental school in the country. The relevant statistical information used was obtained from the 2007 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

It should be evident to all applicants that there is no school that is a slam dunk for acceptance. There are, however, certain schools to which gaining acceptance is less of a challenge in terms of applicant/enrollees ratio. For example, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana have the most favorable applicant/enrollee ratios; however, this advantage is of value only to residents of the states in question. Louisiana accepted only 2 non residents out of 60 first year enrollees. UT-SA with has a favorable applicant/enrollee ratio but it ranks 3rd in overall GPA. It should be stressed that the rankings are strictly intended as a guide to applicants. The absolute values can easily be misinterpreted. Lower DAT or GPA value does not mean the schools are less competitive for the particular pool of applicants. For example Boston, Loma Linda and UOP have a low GPA ranking but rate among the top in the nation for DAT scores. Meharry and Howard may have low DAT and GPA rankings, however, Howard and Meharry have very high applicant/enrollees ratios making them very competitive for the minority group. Puerto Rico may have low DAT and GPA score and a favorable applicants/enrollees ratio, however, these advantages are meaningful only to applicants that are both residents and of hispanic origin. Puerto Rico accepted only 2 out of state applicants and 2 non hispanics (Native Americans). It is hoped that this post will encourage applicants to analyze the available data and help them make an objective choice when deciding what school to apply to.

TOP TEN

....School .....….AA…....School ..….PA…....School..GPA-o-…School…..GPA-sci

1. Harvard... .24.4…..Harvard…...21.6….Nebraska…3.78….Harvard …...3.77
2. Columbia….22.16….Washingt….20.3….Harvard…..3.77….SUNY SB…..3.72
3. UCLA…....…22….....UCLA…....…20…….UT-SA…….3.74…..Nebraska…..3.70
4. Washingt…21.22….Boston......20…….SUNY SB...3.71….Colorado…...3.66
5 .SUNY SB ..21……...S.Carolin...19.89..Colorado….3.71…..Penn………...3.63
6. Penn………..21……..UOP..........19.7...Iowa……….3.70…..Iowa………...3.63
7. UCSF……...20.6…..Loma Lin....19.7….Penn……….3.68…..UCLA………...3.6
8. UOP…….. .20.5……Colorado....19.6....UCLA……...3.65…..S.Illinois….…3.6
9. Loma Lin….20……..Nichigan....19.25..S. Illinois….3.64…..UT-SA…….…3.6
10.USC…….....20……..UCSF....…..19.25..Missou KC..3.64….Missou KC….3.6.

BOTTOM TEN

1. Puerto R…….15……..Meharry…...15…….Howard…….3.09.…..Meharry……..2.9
2. Meharry…….16….…..Puerto R…..16…...Meharry…….3.1......Howard……..3.0
3. Howard……..17……….Howard…...16…...Boston……….3.23...Boston..……..3.11
4. Miss..………..17.4…….Miss……....16.9….Loma Lin.….3.27....NY........……3.16
5. W. VA……...18……....W. VA……..17…...NY.......…….3.29....Temple..……3.19
6. Tenn..........18.......Louisville....17....Temple.......3.33....Arizona.......3.21
7. Louisville.....18.......MissouKC...17.1..Virginia……..3.36…...Loma Lind...3.24
8. Missouri KC.18.3…...UMDNJ......17.58.UOP....…..…3.37..…Virginia….....3.25
9. Marquette…18.44…..Kentucky..17.64.Tufts……....3.41..…Nevada.......3.26
10. Kentucky...18.44....UT-Hou....17.8...Puerto Ric...3.41.…UOP…….......3.29

……………..AA+GPA……………………………..Applicant/Enrollee

Top Ten………………….Bottom Ten……………… Highest………………..Lowest

1. Harvard…..53.54….Meharry…....37.00…Arizona…….54…….Georgia....…4
2. UCLA….....49.25….Puerto Rico..37.78…SUNY SB…..44…….Miss…….....4
3. Washingt..48.46….Howard……..39.09…Case………...42…….Tenn………..6
4. Columbia..48.15….Mississippi...41.48….Marquette…37…..Louisiana…..6
5. Penn……...47.31….W. Virginia…41.94….Conn………..35….…Puerto Ric…7
6. SUNY SB…47.13….Louisville…..42.03….Boston………34….…UT-Hou……..9
7. UCSF..……46.98….MissouriKC…42.64….Nevada………34…..Minnesota….9
8. UOP……...46.86….Tennessee..42.81….Creighton....33....Oklahoma….10
9. Colorado…46.57…Kentucky..…42.97…..Louisville……30….MissouriKC….10
10.S.Carolina..46.36. NY........….43.31….Temple……….29….UT-SA……...…11

Puerto Rico Accepts roughly 5 "out of staters" each year and it is a requirement to be fluent in Spanish

For 2005 2 out of 40 enrollees were out-of-state.
For 2006 2 out of 42 enrollees were out-of-state. For 2006 40 out of 80 in-state were accepted. This is one of the best applicants to enrollees ratio. The out-of-state ratio was, however, dismal with 2 enrollees out of 222 applicants. (Only 2 out-of-state applicants were interviewed!).

You haven't seen anyone hit 20+ in all sections? You haven't seen a 21 in how long? What group of students are you referring to?

sdn kids, naturally...and those taking it in the summer usually end up taking it in late summer i.e. august...and we've seen what a nightmare that has been for some people

and i have seen people hit 20+ in all sections (myself included), just not in the past few months

I just wanted to add my two cents to this sdn "Stats" game that means so much.

My sGPA is above average at every dental school in your list

My GPA is above average at every dental school in your list

My PAT is average or above every school except for the top 4 in the nation.

However, I will be attending one of the schools that shows up near the bottom of the list in a lot of categories.

My point is this: Where your school is ranked doesnt mean anything. How good your schools stats are doesnt mean everything. There is too much emphasis on stats on this forum.

But how does your DAT AA/TS compare?? thats the most important part... :thumbup:

I just wanted to add my two cents to this sdn "Stats" game that means so much.

My sGPA is above average at every dental school in your list

My GPA is above average at every dental school in your list

My PAT is average or above every school except for the top 4 in the nation.

However, I will be attending one of the schools that shows up near the bottom of the list in a lot of categories.

My point is this: Where your school is ranked doesnt mean anything. How good your schools stats are doesnt mean everything. There is too much emphasis on stats on this forum.

But how does your DAT AA/TS compare?? thats the most important part... :thumbup:

NO!!! stats are important, but not the entire story. a solid GPA and DAT probably wont overcome other parts of the application that are lacking and/or a poor interview.

GOOD point. interviews counts just as much as stats. so its GOOD stats and GOOD interviews = acceptances! :)
(I just wish I knew interviews counts just as much BEFORE I apply...)

NO!!! stats are important, but not the entire story. a solid GPA and DAT probably wont overcome other parts of the application that are lacking and/or a poor interview.

Well let's not use last year's data for things have changed dramatically since.

For the time being let us just rely on predents.com till official stats of this years are published. But I know that a couple of schools have turned things around.

GOOD point. interviews counts just as much as stats. so its GOOD stats and GOOD interviews = acceptances! :)
(I just wish I knew interviews counts just as much BEFORE I apply...)

yea i think many ppl tend to get so caught up in the stat game that they forget about the interview.

The DAT is A LOT harder than it was a year or two ago. I took the DAT 2 years ago, and retook it last week and the difference was remarkable. I improved on the most recent DAT, so my scores are better than before, but the test was a significantly harder. The new DAT requires more studying to do well. I studied, so I did really well. Part of what makes it so difficult is that is tests things that are not covered in any of the test prep books or programs, and until the books and programs are updated, it is really hard to study the correct material. I guess people were scoring too high on the DAT so they had to bump it up a level. The 2007 version of the DAT can't even be compared to how it was in 2005, it is in a whole other league of difficulty!

This is good NEWS!! for the people that have ARLEADY taken the DAT like myself!! I took it on Aug 2006... This means I don't have to go against as many 25AA this year!! thanked GOD!! :laugh:

The DAT is A LOT harder than it was a year or two ago. I took the DAT 2 years ago, and retook it last week and the difference was remarkable. Part of what makes it so difficult is that is tests things that are not covered in any of the test prep books or programs, and until the books and programs are updated, it is really hard to study the correct material. I guess people were scoring too high on the DAT so they had to bump it up a level. The 2007 version of the DAT can't even be compared to how it was in 2005, it is in a whole other league of difficulty!

UNC and I think Louisville also counts the interview 40% and the DAT-30% and GPA-30%. (I didn't know interviews counts sooo much until AFTER the interview!! lol..)
I figure DAT would count the most b/c its the ONLY OBJECTIVE thing. GPA is subjective b/c different schools different level of diffculity. Interview is pretty much your LUCK.. So I figure they will count the subjective areas less but I was wrong...
better go brush up on my interview skills. :D

yea i think many ppl tend to get so caught up in the stat game that they forget about the interview.

Look, I had 19 and 20's on my dat. Thats not the point. Im going to one of the schools thats not on the top of the list for the following reasons:

1) Im an out of state going to a public school and my total tuition with living expenses is only $132,000 for FOUR years

2.) There is only 50 students in my entering class. I will get great teacher/student interaction

3.) The clinic was just built, in fact they just started using it a couple of months ago

4.) Everyone from the secretary to the staff has been extremely helpful and nice

But thats only what I look for in a dental school. Its not that expensive, new and a small class size.

My point is there are others like me in different schools that may not be in the top ten in the nation...but what does that matter? Stats arent everything is all Im saying.

And about me...I was in the honors program at my undergrad, I was active in many organizations on and off campus, I presented a thesis my senior year, I traveled and won many honors for that and granted im not in the top ten in the eyes of many sdners but im at the best school for me and so are many others!

I hope none of that came of rude as none was intended

Good luck to everyone!

The DAT is A LOT harder than it was a year or two ago. I took the DAT 2 years ago, and retook it last week and the difference was remarkable. Part of what makes it so difficult is that is tests things that are not covered in any of the test prep books or programs, and until the books and programs are updated, it is really hard to study the correct material. I guess people were scoring too high on the DAT so they had to bump it up a level. The 2007 version of the DAT can't even be compared to how it was in 2005, it is in a whole other league of difficulty!
maybe you got dumber

UNC and I think Louisville also counts the interview 40% and the DAT-30% and GPA-30%. (I didn't know interviews counts sooo much until AFTER the interview!! lol..)
I figure DAT would count the most b/c its the ONLY OBJECTIVE thing. GPA is subjective b/c different schools different level of diffculity. Interview is pretty much your LUCK.. So I figure they will count the subjective areas less but I was wrong...
better go brush up on my interview skills. :D

The interview is based on luck?! I''d like to hear your rationale behind that :laugh:

You know what DoctorHappyFeet? I probably DID get dumber! Of course that must be it; thank you for calling that to my attention! I did A LOT better on this most recent DAT. I am not saying I did worse because that is not the case, I am just saying that the new DAT is harder. But doing better DOES make me dumber I guess. I think earning my Master's degree must have been what made me dumber. But thankfully I am accepted to dental school, so I can just take my dumbness out on my classmates, professors, and patients. If only we could all be as smart as you Doctor! *Sigh*

maybe you got dumber

This is another great example of how a well-intentioned post on SDN turns into an exercise in ridiculousness.

Take the school statistics for what they are: statistics. The OP never said these rankings corresponded to which schools are the "best" or "worst". These types of statistics certainly don't paint the full picture of a school, but they can be very helpful for people deciding which schools to apply to based on their own academic profile.

What amazes me about the stats is that the 9th and 10th lowest average GPAs are a 3.41, and the 9th and 10th lowest DAT averages are essentially a 19 (since you can't score fractions of a point). Dang these d-schools are getting competitive!