IM/ER Combined Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr figs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if you can get validation to be exempt from one year of emergency med after completing internal medicine, so u can do two years instead of three of emergency med?
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I know for certain that you CAN NOT. You will need to apply to the residency via ERAS like all other candidates and go through the 3-4 year program like every one else.

Sorry man. They are really tightening up.

The residency director of LSU-NO Emergency program said that he would do it like this to get dual board certification, b/c he felt that the combined program had some problems (essentially, you don't have a home b/c you are going back and forth).

He said apply to a 3 year residency program in emergency medicine. Then a year before you graduate, apply to a pediatric (internal medicine) residency, but ask for six months advanced standing. He said almost all of them would grant it, b/c as an EM doctor, you are a lot more valuable than a fresh-faced kid who just finished fourth year med school. So, instead of a 5 year combined program, you are finished in 5.5 years. And it is less competitive then a Peds/EM or IM/EM residency.

But, the guy was really not down with 3 year programs (probly cause LSU-NO is 4 year) ...

Good luck,

Simul
Tulane Med '05

Members don't see this ad :)
thanx a bunch guys! :D

The rules in this situation are pretty straightforward, according to the ABEM (American Board of Emergency Medicine).

You are ELIGIBLE for a maximum of 6 months of credit/advanced standing for prior training. However, you have to have done at least TWO years of the training (that excludes folks doing just an internship year), within 5 years of entering the EM program. ELIGIBLE means that any advanced credit is at the discretion of the EM program director (it's not an automatic deal). If you are going to do this, it must be done IN ADVANCE of starting the residency program, or it won't be granted.

You cannot get credit for any EM rotations (i.e., you still have to complete all the EM training months). Obviously any IM trained person would not likely be required to repeat any IM floor rotations. ICU/CCU time would be at program director discretion as well.

Hope this helps. You can check with the American Board of Emergency Medicine to get a copy of the official policy if you need it.

Marc Squillante, DO, FACEP, FAAEM
Director, EM Residency Program
OSF St. Francis Medical Center/ Univ. of Illinois College of Medicine @ Peoria, IL

Hello there, do any of you guys know anything about a combined Internal and Emergency medicine residency? Ive read bits and pieces about certain programs but Im not sure what it involves actually. This would definitely be something I would be interested in, although with so many peds cases in the ER, its hard to imagine adult medicine covering enough to work in ER....

UCLA has an excellent Med/ER program. It's a five year deal, split equally between IM and ER. You train at 2 main hospitals. UCLA campus, and the UCLA Olive View County Hospital. I believe they go to Children's hospital LA for Peds Training.

I've met their residents and they are a great bunch!

So, the EM Residency Director at LSU-Charity told us that he thought the combined programs weren't always the best idea because you flip-flop too much between them, and you don't really have a home. Also, he said they were so highly competitive, and that there was a way around that part.

He said that a good way to do it is to apply to a 3 year EM residency, and upon completion, apply to an IM residency and ask for advanced standing. They'll give you six months, and instead of 5, it will be 5.5 years, but you'll have a lot more continuity and an easier time doing both residencies.

Good luck,
Simul

For an added twist on the discussion, Pitt is starting a new program where you do 2 years of EM, 2 years of IM, and 2 years of critical care to eventually be board certified in all three areas.

hey drov,

If you don't mind I'll ask the program directors to drop you an email for some advice since you obviously know more about medical training than they do.

j/k

who knows that could make this program become the envy of the western world