Public hospitals+ER residencies list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n2b8me

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
05D969AB-341E-4D88-A150-5F673CC89855.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Arrowhead Regional Medicine Center in Colton, CA is a county hospital for the largest county in the US by land area and somewhere in the top 10 for population.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a couple wrong ones on the map. Detroit Receiving is owned by Tenet, a for profit company. Orlando Regional is owned by Orlando Health, a not for profit. Charity in New Orleans is run by LCMC, a not for profit. Additionally there are lots of public hospitals that you might not know are public. Atrium Health in North Carolina is a public hospital authority and has 30+ hospitals. Do you consider public university owned hospitals to be public? That adds probably around 30 programs. Additionally public hospitals do not necessarily meet stereotypes. There are suburban and rural public hospitals and the old idea of an urban war zone public hospital is on the decline.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure what your map shows. All the Boston hospitals are non-profit entities, not publically owned.

This also doesn’t account for who runs the ED. For example, Tampa General Hospital is a non profit affiliated with USF, but the ED group running the EM residency is part of USACS.

University Health System (aka Bexar County Hospital System) is covered by UT Health San Antonio.

Basically any major city is going to have a county hospital that's covered by someone. A good number are going to be covered by public (county/state) authorities.

Brings back good memories on the residency trail interviewing at Grady, Maricopa, Parkland, Ben Taub, and Charity (before Katrina)

you all are missing the best thing: not that numerous public hospitals with ED residencies (mine included, and MULTIPLE nyc ones included) are missing.

but that many of the dots are hundreds of miles away from the actual location of the hospital. Immediately hysterical is:
Cook county hanging out somewhere in Wisconsin
Detroit Receiving - Famously of Sandusky Ohio, apparently.
King's County in what has to be Danbury Connecticut (the hat city! apparently the hat is a king's crown)
Bellevue of New York has been relocated due to typo to Newark.
Orlando Regional is on the wrong side of the state and is either in Tampa now or just in the damn everglades treating crocodiles.

and thats just the glaring errors I couldnt possibly overlook. I also think something is off with Ben Taub and Parkland but I cant figure out what it is.

you all are missing the best thing: not that numerous public hospitals with ED residencies (mine included, and MULTIPLE nyc ones included) are missing.

but that many of the dots are hundreds of miles away from the actual location of the hospital. Immediately hysterical is:
Cook county hanging out somewhere in Wisconsin
Detroit Receiving - Famously of Sandusky Ohio, apparently.
King's County in what has to be Danbury Connecticut (the hat city! apparently the hat is a king's crown)
Bellevue of New York has been relocated due to typo to Newark.
Orlando Regional is on the wrong side of the state and is either in Tampa now or just in the damn everglades treating crocodiles.

and thats just the glaring errors I couldnt possibly overlook. I also think something is off with Ben Taub and Parkland but I cant figure out what it is.
LA County... famously now located in San Diego County...

Bro what is going on here. In addition to the dots being in the wrong spot I think you’re mixing several different kinds of systems.

I think what you were going for is “county hospitals” which are health systems owned and operated by municipal or county governments. This is different than non-profit hospitals or hospitals with public/private partnerships or not for profit hospitals that act as “safety nets.”

ORMC and UF-Shands are safety nets but they’re not county hospitals.

There’s also a ton of county hospitals in the northeast that aren’t listed.

Others not there are JPS in Fort Worth; UMC in Ep Paso, UHS San Antonio too.

Atrium/Carolinas Med Cntr is another one that’s an interesting case because it’s technically part of mecklenberg county but operates much more like a private hospital with fancy services, tons of private patients, and eats up competition in the area.