Keith Olbermann's comments on D.O.'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crypticdo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, (sorry for the crazy long post)

First I would just like everyone to know that even though I am a "newbie" I have been coming to site for some time and always read the posts, but never really had anything to post, so just never made a post. There has been discussion about the publics "confusion" over the D.O. degree and if it should be change to _____ (insert whatever initials here). Until recently I had no real opinion either way (I am currently a 3rd year osteopathic student).

My thoughts were:
1) It is a less known degree, because there are less of us, but that just means we have to educate people when necessary.
2) Most of the physicians I know and have talked to agree that there is no real difference and it is usually a non-issue in the "medical realm." (except for the premeds :) )
3) I had the feeling the the educated public, and more pertinent to my discussion, the media would know the difference, or at least look it up when they come across the D.O. degree.

Then last night, as I usually do, I check out "Countdown" online to see what I missed (still studying for the boards). On one of the stories "Paris almost out", he mentions a "Dr. Charles Sophy. This is the psychiatrist that saw Paris in jail. The whole "Paris" thing is dumb in my opinion, but he goes on to say that Dr. Sophy is "NOT a medical doctor." He states he is practice "osteopathy" an "alternate medicine." I did some research and if I am correct Dr. Charles Sophy is a board certified psychiatrist that graduated from PCOM.

My point is this. If in this day and age, people I considered educated and "in the know" have no idea what a D.O. is and assume that they are not "real doctors" because the do no have the M.D. ("medical doctor") behind their name, is it time we did something to clarify or keep this from happening? Maybe it is time for M.D.O. or something to that effect. Everyone that watched that program now thinks that osteopaths are not REAL doctors. Anyways, I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this topic. If you want you could still go check out the video by going to the "cowntdown" on MSNBC.com and click on the video "paris almost out" to listen for yourself (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/). Now I need to get back to studying. This was bugging me so much, I just had to post it. But in closing... I still love Keith... Countdown rocks...., but I have written the show to inform them of their mistake (if my research is right), and the impact of that statement. You may want to do the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, (sorry for the crazy long post)

First I would just like everyone to know that even though I am a "newbie" I have been coming to site for some time and always read the posts, but never really had anything to post, so just never made a post. There has been discussion about the publics "confusion" over the D.O. degree and if it should be change to _____ (insert whatever initials here). Until recently I had no real opinion either way (I am currently a 3rd year osteopathic student).

My thoughts were:
1) It is a less known degree, because there are less of us, but that just means we have to educate people when necessary.
2) Most of the physicians I know and have talked to agree that there is no real difference and it is usually a non-issue in the "medical realm." (except for the premeds :) )
3) I had the feeling the the educated public, and more pertinent to my discussion, the media would know the difference, or at least look it up when they come across the D.O. degree.

Then last night, as I usually do, I check out "Countdown" online to see what I missed (still studying for the boards). On one of the stories "Paris almost out", he mentions a "Dr. Charles Sophy. This is the psychiatrist that saw Paris in jail. The whole "Paris" thing is dumb in my opinion, but he goes on to say that Dr. Sophy is "NOT a medical doctor." He states he is practice "osteopathy" an "alternate medicine." I did some research and if I am correct Dr. Charles Sophy is a board certified psychiatrist that graduated from PCOM.

My point is this. If in this day and age, people I considered educated and "in the know" have no idea what a D.O. is and assume that they are not "real doctors" because the do no have the M.D. ("medical doctor") behind their name, is it time we did something to clarify or keep this from happening? Maybe it is time for M.D.O. or something to that effect. Everyone that watched that program now thinks that osteopaths are not REAL doctors. Anyways, I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this topic. If you want you could still go check out the video by going to the "cowntdown" on MSNBC.com and click on the video "paris almost out" to listen for yourself (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/). Now I need to get back to studying. This was bugging me so much, I just had to post it. But in closing... I still love Keith... Countdown rocks...., but I have written the show to inform them of their mistake (if my research is right), and the impact of that statement. You may want to do the same.

That was really really bad! I just watched the video and olbermann totally discredited Dr. sophy and the entire D.O. degree.....he said 'Dr. Sophy is not a medical doctor at all...' HUH???:confused::eek: Yes he is!!! That's why he is a psychiatrist and not a psychologist...Wow...you would think that his staff at msnbc would do at least a very minimal search on what the D.O. degree is because if they had olbermann would not have touted such inaccuracies as he did.

I am glad you said something and I think individuals such as yourself hold more water because you are in a D.O. med school or you are D.O.s.

-PlAnEjaNe

Members don't see this ad :)
wow.. i just saw this..this is unbelievable. This is something that the AOA, needs to, and must respond to. Just like the HERO M.D thing, this is also something the AOA needs to take seriously....

That was really really bad! I just watched the video and olbermann totally discredited Dr. sophy and the entire D.O. degree.....he said 'Dr. Sophy is not a medical doctor at all...' HUH???:confused::eek: Yes he is!!! That's why he is a psychiatrist and not a psychologist...Wow...you would think that his staff at msnbc would do at least a very minimal search on what the D.O. degree is because if they had olbermann would not have touted such inaccuracies as he did.

I am glad you said something and I think individuals such as yourself hold more water because you are in a D.O. med school or you are D.O.s.

-PlAnEjaNe

This is the second time MSNBC has been mistaken. The first time was the Hero, MD thing.

That's why he is a psychiatrist and not a psychologist
-PlAnEjaNe

lol I hope you realise the irony in what you posted - you took offence at them not giving credit to DOs and yet, you slighted psychologists (even if its just a tiny bit)

there's always a relative comparison of something/someone being 'better' or 'worse' - like a PhD vs MD or a harvard MD vs podunk MD or MD vs DO or DO vs chiropractor............it never ends

p.s. as far as Paris goes, I guess karma does exist and its certainly a bitch lol

I check out "Countdown" online to see what I missed... I still love Keith... Countdown rocks....

I was not aware that people actually watch Keith Olbermann on MSNBC. He never should have left Sportcenter.

lol I hope you realise the irony in what you posted - you took offence at them not giving credit to DOs and yet, you slighted psychologists (even if its just a tiny bit)

there's always a relative comparison of something/someone being 'better' or 'worse' - like a PhD vs MD or a harvard MD vs podunk MD or MD vs DO or DO vs chiropractor............it never ends

p.s. as far as Paris goes, I guess karma does exist and its certainly a bitch lol

No I didn't...I said psychiatrist v.s. psychologist because olbermann said dr. sophy, a psychiatrist, was not a medical doctor, when in fact, all psychiatrists are medical doctors, they have the right to diagnose and prescribe meds...just like the medical degree allows (whether it be MD or DO)...psychologists do not have a medical degree...yes they are still 'Dr.' in the sense that they earned a PsyD or PhD, but they do not have a medical degree. This is what olbermann was essentially saying. I never had any 'slight' against psychologists. I never said that psychiatrists were better than psychologists...I was merely pointing out how wrong olbermann was.

-PlAnEjaNe

Edit: I almost felt like emailing olbermann not only telling them that they were wrong (but I have no credentials so my words wouldn't go far with them), but more than that, telling them how stupid they are wasting all this time on that dumb girl's jail time, who gives a $hit about her? No one here in Orange County or L.A. cares a rat's a$$ about her and I wish they would quit shoving that crap down our throats and pay attention to more important things..for example, if he want's to talk about 'dr.s' and 'medicine' perhaps he should be focusing on the current condition of healthcare in America, and not on that dumb bitch's 'psychiatric' evaluation which has no effect on the 300 million people that reside in this country.

Ridiculous!

I just emailed the f*ckin bastards. Flood their inboxes people!!

I'm very familiar with Countdown but I've noticed Olbermann is becoming more and more like the man he hates, Bill O'Reilly, only the left-wing version. Ever since he took Edward Murrow's sign off, which was right after Good Night, and Good Luck came out, I knew the man had an out-sized ego for an ex-Sportscenter anchor. Plus, he's such a demagogue now, too. I avoid watching him for "news." I stick with Hardball.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send an email to: [email protected] with your response. Remember to keep it professional.

In addition, you might want to contact the AOA Media Contacts so that they may be made aware of the situation and draft an appropriate response that can be mailed to MSNBC and Countdown ... again, keep it professional

Nicole Grady
[email protected]
(800) 621-1773, ext. 8038
(312) 202-8038

Vicki Martinka
[email protected]
(800) 621-1773, ext. 8159
(312) 202-8159

(contact information publicly listed on the AOA's website)

Dang, and I like Keith Olbermann. I saw that story, and I thought all he said was that he was not faculty, just a volunteer, at UCLA. I will have to listen to the clip.

Go ask an orthopedic or neurosurgeon if they consider OB/GYN's as surgeons, and tell me what their response is.

Anyhow, the point was that psychiatrists are licensed physicians. Psychologists are not. Of course, anybody with 1/2 a brain would have realized that before responding.

Oh, and learn to spell correctly while you're at it.

I cant believe so many people still don't Know what a DO is. I think it is time for everyone on SDN to write a short email about what a DO is and that there are 2 kinds of fully licensed physicians in the U.S. today....MD and DO. In the email people to check and see what kind of doctor they have......this may peak their interest. Ask them to google Osteopathic Medicine and have them forward the email to their contacts. If everyone did this then we would be able to get to a lot of people pretty quickly. Just an idea cuz i am sick of this bull****!!!!!!!!:mad:

I cant believe so many people still don't Know what a DO is.

The general public knows that the doctor they go to when they get sick are "medical doctors", and they assume MD means "medical doctor". When they see DO, many don't associate the letters with the training of "medical doctor".

You seem to not be the only one who is sick of it... based on the perceived push to change the letters to ridiculous crap like MDO.

I 2nd this comment.

I sent an email too. I should have said he was better on sportscenter ;)

Yah I emailed him as well. Man that blows me away. Keith used to be the man. I agree with the previous message... ever since his speeches at the end, the Jerry springer final thoughts, it's gone dooooowwwnn hill.

But I can't believe he went there with DOs. I hope Chris Matthews decks him next time he gets a chance. Matthews is a Philly boy, he'll represent.

I've never seen his show, I've actually never even heard of Keith Olbermann before today. Do you guys that watch his show and know him think that all of our emails might make him say something about it? It would be interesting if he did. The site said he's on weekdays at 8pm, I guess i'll have to check it out to see!

my sister in law who is a nurse and works in a hospital had never heard of D.O.'s... I was pretty shocked

My response - emailed to [email protected] and [email protected]:

Subject: "Countdown with Kieth Olbermann" story on 6/22: "Paris is Almost Out!" and your slanderous remarks about Osteopathic Medicine

To Whom it May Concern;

My name is <my name here>. I am an Osteopathic physician in Pennsylvania completing my residency in Emergency Medicine. I recently viewed Mr. Olbermann's segment on 6/22/07 titled "Paris is Almost Out!" in which he claimed Dr. Charles Sophy is not a medical doctor and is instead a doctor of osteopathy "which focuses on alternative treatments." This is apparently not the first time NBC has slandered the Osteopathic profession. The first was when your news magazine, Newsweek, printed the article, "Hero, MD" when Dr. Richard Jadick is, in fact, a D.O.

In case you did not bother to do your research (which is quite apparent from the content of your broadcast), Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (or Osteopaths, as we were called 30 years ago) are fully licensed physicians in all 50 states and US territories. Osteopathic medicine was founded by Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, M.D. in 1894 when the medical care of that time was causing more harm than good to his patients. Today, D.O.'s, as noted above, are equivalent in every way to the more common M.D.'s.

D.O.s make up between 5 and 10% of the total physician workforce, and are currently practicing in every known medical specialty. There are currently 26 Osteopathic medical schools, in contrast to the more than 120 Allopathic ( M.D.) medical schools.

I would appreciate a clarification of yours and Mr. Olbermann's mistake on monday's broadcast. I would refer you to the American Osteopathic Association's (AOA) website http://www.osteopathic.org for more information. In addition, the link to this broadcast will be sent to the AOA to let them determine if any further action need be taken.

Thank you for your rapid attention to this matter.

<my name here>

jd

Here is my response:

Keith,

First of all, let me say that I love your show and I Tivo it every evening. The reason I don't watch it live every night is because I am in the middle of my residency training to become a physician, where I often work 80 hours in a week. I graduated from an osteopathic medical school and am attending an MD residency. Unfortunately, your research team led you astray last night. Osteopathic physicians are every bit as qualified to practice all types of medicine in the United States, including psychiatry. We attend 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 3-7 years of residency depending on the specialty that we choose. We are required to take board examinations, just like MD's. In fact, our training is nearly identical to MD training, except that we are required to take an additional course in medical school. Our philosophy regarding medicine is somewhat different from MD's, and as a profession we tend to be more open minded than our allopathic counterparts. As a point of fact, osteopathic medical schools were among the first to regularly admit women and minorities. This, sir, is not something to ridicule.

Certainly, we are fewer in number as there are only about 20 osteopathic schools in the United States as compared to 150 allopathic schools. However, we are present in every aspect of medicine. Sir, we are your neurosurgeons, cardiologists, psychiatrists, pulmonologists, general surgeons, plastic surgeons, and of course, your friendly family physician. I ask that you look at this objectively and not succumb to the tactics of a Fox News Channel. It would be wonderful if you could devote a little time (and possibly an apology) to those who have dedicated years of their lives and their families' lives to the study of medicine, and specifically to those who have pursued Osteopathic medicine.

I have enclosed a list of just a few of our more prominent representatives.

William G. Anderson, D.O
The first African American to be elected president of a major medical association when he held this position at the American Osteopathic Association in 1994-1995. In addition, Dr. Anderson was a civil rights activist who worked closely with Martin Luther King, Jr., and was president of the Albany Movement.

Lt. General Ronald Blanck, D.O., MC, USA (Ret.)-Former Surgeon General of the U.S. Army
While serving as Surgeon General, Dr. Blanck was the highest ranking D.O. in the commissioned services. A three-star general, Dr. Blanck was the director of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC. Dr. Blanck also served as the Army’s chief medical officer during the Gulf War.

Sister Anne Brooks, D.O.
Catholic nun whose work in impoverished rural Mississippi was covered nationally in People Magazine, and on Good Morning America and Sixty Minutes. Sister Anne joined Ronald Reagan and Ryan White as a recipient of the first Norman Vincent Peale Positive Thinking Award.

Jon W. Fong, D.O.
Since July 1998, Dr. Fong has served as a technical advisor for NBC’s ER. In this capacity, he orchestrates every medical procedure on the show and trains the actors to realistically mimic performing medical procedures and discuss medical topics.

Lawrence Lavine, D.O.
Speedskater Apolo Anton Ohno flew Dr. Lavine to Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympics after injuring his thigh during a competition. After receiving osteopathic manipulative treatment from Dr. Lavine, Apolo went on to win the gold medal in the 1,500 meter short-track race.

Barbara Ross-Lee, D.O.
As the past dean of Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Ross-Lee became the first African-American woman to head a U.S. medical school. She has contributed to the field of medicine through appointments to the National Advisory Committee on Rural Health and the Advisory Committee on Research on Women’s Health for the National Institute of Health.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I am certain that the response I receive will be far superior to what I would get if I were emailing Bill O'Reilly. Good night and good luck!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I e-mailed him as well. We have the blind leading the blind. +pissed+

I sent an email as well. I'm curious to see what the response will be (but I don't have cable). Maybe someone can keep all us cable-less folks updated if/when Olbermann responds. :)

Nice letters, folks! I love his political coverage, but I have really despised his coverage of the Paris Hilton imprisonment. It has been even worse than the normally acerbic pop news coverage he does.

I just sent one too. I can't wait to see if there is a response. Keep me posted

To Whom it May Concern;
On the episode "Paris is Almost Out!" Keith stated that the doctor was not a real physician because he was a DO. Just to inform you that statement is could not be further from the truth. DO or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine are fully licensed in all 50 states and have all the rights and privileges of MD's in scope of practice, surgery, and prescription rights. I highly suggest a retraction and/or apology to the entire profession is made for such an ill informed comment. If your show is not informed about osteopathy which was found over 100 yrs ago please refer to this link http://www.osteopathic.org/.

Greetings,

This email is to notify the American Osteopathic Association-Media
Dept of the recent misrepresentation of osteopathic medicine in the
media. The MSNBC show Countdown with Keith Olberman" discredited the
osteopathic medical field by blatantly stating that Paris Hilton's
psychiatrist who is a DO was not a medical doctor and instead some
alternative medicine practicioner. It deeply concerns me that the
media can erroneously disseminate information like this, which in the
long run can be detrimental to public health. I believe it is the
responsibility of the AOA to make sure the media correctly portrays to
the public that there are 2 fully licensed and complete medical
doctors in the US, MD and DO. Bellow is a copy of the email I sent to
the MSNBC show with Keith Olberman. I hope the AOA will take
appropriate action in the light of this event.

Thank you,

--
Dr. David A. Roshal, D.O.
Medicine Intern, SUNY Upstate Medical University (2007-2008)
Neurology Resident, Thomas Jefferson University (2008-2011)

Letter sent to MSNBC Countdown with Keith Olberman

Greetings,

I am a recent graduate of an osteopathic medical school in Kansas
City, MO and after watching the clip from the Keith Olberman show on
the story of Paris Hilton's psychiatrist not being a medical doctor
because he was a D.O., I was appaled. I believe that Mr. Olberman
should have been informed by the staff that there are two schools of
medicine in the United States, one offering the Doctor of Medicine
(MD) and the other offering the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO).
Both MD and DO are complete physcians and are considered by law
"Medical Doctors". It is wrong and dangerous for your show to send
the wrong information to the public like this. In the future please
make sure that you do proper research before disseminating incorrect
information over the air ways. You can obtain formal information
about the DO degree by contacting the American Osteopathic
Association, who would gladly provide you with the correct
information. Again, it has been very disconcerting to watch comments
on the news which discredit more than 50,000 physicinas who have been
delivering osteopathic medicine to the public for more than 100 years.

Thank you,

--
Dr. David A. Roshal, D.O.
Medicine Intern, SUNY Upstate Medical University (2007-2008)
Neurology Resident, Thomas Jefferson University (2008-2011)

This is really great you guys, this is exactly the kind of pro-activeness that osteopathic medicine needs. When things like this come up, instead of brushing it off and saying, "well, D.O.s are the minority and who cares what some t.v. show says...blah..blah...blah". If osteopathic medicine wants the recognition it has long deserved this is how that recognition has to start....from people that won't let incidents like this slip through the cracks....people will only care if you care.

-PlAnEjaNe

Just sent my email to him.

Here's what I wrote:

"Dear Countdown Staff,

As an Osteopathic Medical Student, I was deeply insulted by your program's flagrant dismal of the Osteopathic Medical Profession during the June 22nd "Paris Almost Out" segment. Doctor's of Osteopathic Medicine (DOs) are fully licensed physicians and surgeons practicing in all 50 states, who complete equivalent medical and residency training to MDs. Whatever public opinion surrounds Ms. Hilton's physician, disapproval of one physician should not be grounds for insulting an entire reputable profession of hardworking individuals serving the medical needs of the American public. Countdown's description of DOs as "fake doctors" practicing "alternative medicine" displays a lack of research and basic understanding of the medical profession by your "research" staff. Your airway time would be better spent covering the news than disseminating erroneous information while covering bubble gum stories about celebrities. Along with other members of the Osteopathic Community, I ask that a formal apology/correction be aired regarding the error made during Thursday's program."

I probably should have been a little more diplomatic, but I was too ticked off. Give 'em hell, I say!

I don't know what all the fuss is all about. I clicked on the video and it just seems like a simple mistake that Olbermann made. The majority of the general public knows that DOs are real docs.

Mr. Olbermann,

Your recent assertion that Paris Hilton's psychiatrist isn't a "real medical doctor," but instead a "doctor of osteopathy" is disrespectful to the thousands of D.O.'s who work hard to care for the people of the United States every day. D.O.'s are real doctors. They are licensed in all 50 states and are members of the American Medical Association. The D.O. degree is the legal equivalent of the M.D. degree. Please do your research and correct your previous statements. It is important for your viewers to know that D.O.'s are, in fact, real medical doctors.

Thanks

I don't know what all the fuss is all about. I clicked on the video and it just seems like a simple mistake that Olbermann made. The majority of the general public knows that DOs are real docs.

The majority of the American public has never heard of the DO degree and will not hear of it in the course of their lifetime since we're such a tiny portion of the health care community. So when a program that reaches millions of viewers makes us out to be quacks, it really hurts the community and our efforts to make the public aware of our contributions to the medical system.

It's ironic that a "news program" which has nothing to report on but Paris, and uses terms such as "berry hole" (or whatever it was) in their reporting, has the nerve to call an entire profession fake. Maybe Countdown should hire some "real journalists".

I sent one this morning too. I won't post it because it basically said the same thing everyone else has posted. I kind of doubt we'll each get a response with the (hopefully) hundreds of emails they'll be receiving over the next 2-3 days but I certainly hope NBC responds formally, and soon.

Ack, sorry for the double reply - tried to edit the first one. Anyway, I was shocked by his blatant insult towards our profession and I hope he and NBC get the message loud and clear that we are not happy about it.

I agree that Olbermann made a blunder with the Osteopath comment, but I had another listen to it. It's a 5min 45 sec video of Paris Hilton's problems. Literally, only about 10 seconds was used in that piece talking about how Paris' doctor may have exaggerated about his professional credentials. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.

Don't get me wrong here. I totally respect DOs and I feel that the majority of the public does as well. Olbermann's comment is poorly worded, but it's really not a big deal. People out there are concerned more about Paris Hilton that who Paris' doctor is.

I agree that Olbermann made a blunder with the Osteopath comment, but I had another listen to it. It's a 5min 45 sec video of Paris Hilton's problems. Literally, only about 10 seconds was used in that piece talking about how Paris' doctor may have exaggerated about his professional credentials. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.

Don't get me wrong here. I totally respect DOs and I feel that the majority of the public does as well. Olbermann's comment is poorly worded, but it's really not a big deal. People out there are concerned more about Paris Hilton that who Paris' doctor is.

His comments weren't "poorly worded." He made the point that he was trying to make- that doctor's of osteopathy aren't "real medical doctors." They obviously hadn't done their research, and they should correct any incorrect information that they helped to spread.

Clearly you're missing the bigger picture here. How many times have you seen a single "10 second" statement have an impact that is not proportional to the ten seconds it took to utter? You're giving the public too much credit...I suspect that you and I and everyone else here has been fooled by the media more than once on subjects that we're not informed about. In many parts of this country (the state that I'm from especially) people have no idea what a DO is. Many of these people may have visited a DO before, but they just didn't realize it. If a public figure like Olbermann uses the Paris Hilton story to influence the opinion of thousands of bubble-gum-chomping-Paris-Hilton-worshiping teens, it WILL make a difference. DOs will be perceived differently by a portion of the public. THAT is why it's a big deal.

This thread is amusing. Do some people think that the Countdown staff actually give a crap about some emails from hostile DOs? Do you honestly think that 10 seconds of Keith Olbermann matters at all when it comes to public perceptions about osteopathic medicine? Seriously, let it go.

This sort of reminds me about the great Email-the-producers-of-ER-campaign-of-2004. We all know how well that worked out.

I admire the proactive nature of many of these letters. If we didn't have enough reasons for title change...well here is another. Thank you for the messages.

I am not typically a stickler for grammar, but I hope you guys are at least spell checking these missives prior to hitting send. The grammatical errors in many of your letters are spectacular.

Using forums like these, we can all get lazy regarding the rules of written language.
When trying to educate a large communications agency that a group is "well-trained" and "professional" it behooves us to sound like we are.

Below are a few examples from these letters

quite apparent
monday's
nearly identical to MD
that statement is could not be further from the truth
MD's
I highly suggest
which was found over 100 yrs ago
I was appaled
airway time

A reminder on some of these rules-
Adverbs weaken any declarative sentence. Capitalize days of the week. Apostrophes denote possession not plurality.
Some hints-Let it rest then read out loud prior to hitting send. Please spell check.

Thanks again. Mine will follow.

This thread is amusing. Do some people think that the Countdown staff actually give a crap about some emails from hostile DOs? Do you honestly think that 10 seconds of Keith Olbermann matters at all when it comes to public perceptions about osteopathic medicine? Seriously, let it go.

This sort of reminds me about the great Email-the-producers-of-ER-campaign-of-2004. We all know how well that worked out.

Ten seconds is all that is needed for the media to mess up and spread bad information to the general public. Also, ten seconds is all that is needed for these guys to lose their jobs. Remember what happened to Don Imas. It was only ten seconds. Granted what he did was a lot worse and he made many of bad remarks towards all groups of people. Also, I am in no way calling for Kieth's head. Ten seconds should not be taken lightly. What I would like to see is a correction or better than that a report on DO's where the profession is shown accurately and in a positive light.

Ten seconds is all that is needed for the media to mess up and spread bad information to the general public. Also, ten seconds is all that is needed for these guys to lose their jobs. Remember what happened to Don Imas. It was only ten seconds. Granted what he did was a lot worse and he made many of bad remarks towards all groups of people. Also, I am in no way calling for Kieth's head. Ten seconds should not be taken lightly. What I would like to see is a correction or better than that a report on DO's where the profession is shown accurately and in a positive light.

Maybe we should email O'reilly on how misinformed and how much they lack research on the olbermann show based on this osteopathy thing..Maybe if O'reilly mentions it on his show and I know for sure 10 times more people watch his show...:thumbup:
Should we email Dr. Sophy? Can he actually sue the show by saying he is not a medical doctor?...that would be something crazy

I also sent an email. While we don't know what effect this will have, however as osteopathic medical students/residents we can't just sit back and watch our profession be hit over the head and surrender because we don't think we can make a difference. If we see someone who is misinformed/hasn't learned about osteopathic medicine, we have a duty to teach them about it. Whether it be a patient, their family, our family or someone in the media who just slandered our profession

Maybe we should email O'reilly on how misinformed and how much they lack research on the olbermann show based on this osteopathy thing..Maybe if O'reilly mentions it on his show and I know for sure 10 times more people watch his show...:thumbup:

I believe his email is: [email protected]. Not sure what others think about this, but maybe it is something worth considering?

Don't be too hostile to Keith. He knew his career was all downhill after sportscenter. Just remind him that the only a "fake" doctor was willing to travel into Falluja with marines, risk his life while saving the lives of 30+ of our soldiers and was recognized with one of the highest military honors one can receive....Was not a "real" doctor...Even better, ask one of the marines whose life was saved by this "fake" doctor if he thinks DO's are legit ;)