2007-2008 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone compiled a list of secondaries that are available online i.e. before they have to send it to you?

I found a MSUCOM secondary online. Does anyone know if it is for the 2008 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone compiled a list of secondaries that are available online i.e. before they have to send it to you?

I found a MSUCOM secondary online. Does anyone know if it is for the 2008 cycle?

Here is DCOM's secondary from their website.

I thought it would be a good idea for those of us applying to make sure we all know which schools automatically post their Secondaries instead of emailing them. Anyone want to start posting? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a thread that might give you a bit of a head start in the process:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=220291

It has a number of the secondary essay prompts from 2006.

Early applicants should start looking at this thread to get an idea of what's in store and maybe start brainstorming. As far as schools that actually post secondaries on their site, the only one I came across was LECOM-B.

I believe it is the same every year, and that says last updated on June 12th, so hopefully it is the right one. Might be good to start looking it over. But I would wait for secondary before you have LOR's sent in.

Just submitted AACOMAS, but transcripts are still on the way and I'm taking my MCAT in july. Does this mean I will get my secondaries after then?

I'm in the same position. Not sure, but I think we'll probably get them after our MCAT scores have been sent. Anyone know specifically?

I got an e-mail from UNECOM today saying that they received my application and that it did not include an MCAT score, which they need to see before they send out the secondary application.

AAMC is holding me up w/ a mistake on my social security number. They recorded it as 999-99-9999, which is obviously incorrect. Unfortunately, it's going to take 5-7 business days to correct it. :thumbdown:

I'm in the same position. Not sure, but I think we'll probably get them after our MCAT scores have been sent. Anyone know specifically?

Is this your first MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they do rolling admissions?

Do they do rolling admissions?
Yes and the earlier you get it in the better chance you have of getting in the pathway you want (LDP, PBL, ISP). PM if you have more questions.

I'd also recommend taking a look the questions beforehand (like the essay prompts) and maybe print out a copy and fill out the app since you can't save your progress online or go back and edit something, once you submit that's it.

Once I have the application complete, should I wait till I officially receive a secondary invitation from the school before submitting it or can I just send it in ?

Once I have the application complete, should I wait till I officially receive a secondary invitation from the school before submitting it or can I just send it in ?

Wait until they ask you, but download the PDF and fill it out--everything--beforehand. Have everything ready to enter into the online form before you start...you can't save your work on the secondary app and come back later to finish it.

That looks like the one I did last cycle

The second essay is Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, include extracurricular school and community activities.

I pretty much answered this when explaining my EC's. Do I really need to re-write all those into one giant essay ? Should I completely re-write or just combine them all and make it flow nicely using mostly the same text ?

Advise/comments ?

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion about what secondaries are out, compilation of all the secondary questions, and EVERYTHING about secondaries!

**disclaimer: Threads may be merged in here as the season progresses.

Updated: 6/28/07 thanks to dr.kicia

ATSU-Kirksville---> online secondary-by invite only ($60 or $70 if you request paper)
ATSU-Arizona----> online secondary-by invite only ($60 or $70 like above)
CCOM---> by invite only, they will send you all info, plus you can check your status online at https://www.midwestern.edu/ToolBar/Login.asp , they will send instructions on how to do it with your secondary ($50)
AZCOM----> same as CCOM
DMU----> by invite only, they will send you an email with instructions and password for online secondary ($50)
LECOM Erie---> online, available now for everyone who is completed with AACOMAS http://www.mutualgravity.com/archang...CID=76&VID=163 ($50)
LECOM Brandenton----> online, available for those who are done with AACOMAS primary http://www.mutualgravity.com/archang...CID=76&VID=164 ($50)
LMU-DCOM---> available now for those who are done with AACOMAS, paper based http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/supp...pplication.pdf ($50)
Nova---> by invite only ($50)
UMDNJ---> paper based, it's ready now and you can fill it out but they advise to wait with mailing it in for the green light from them by email http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admis...072008_000.doc ($90)
UNECOM---> by email invite only ($55)

My friend received secondaries before she received her MCAT scores, I'm hoping that I can submit my secondaries before. I'm affraid to see my MCAT scores later this month...

I guess that I have to call and ask, I have so many questions, I feel like the school is starting to recognize my voice, haha... I try to wait a day or two before I call back with another 20 questions, I feel like they hate questions!

Does one need to be invited to send the secondary, or since its available does that mean they'll just screen later? Figured I'd post before I called them.

Does one need to be invited to send the secondary, or since its available does that mean they'll just screen later? Figured I'd post before I called them.

diverdoc...why don't you call the school?:rolleyes:;)
i just called...the lady was very nice.
She said you can fill it out and send it in but they recomend to wait for when they read your profile and invite you thru email or mail. I guess that makes sense. It would suck to pay 90 bucks and then find out they decided to reject you pre-secondary:eek:
I will probobly fill all the secondaries that are available and have them ready in spamped envelopes so when i do get invoted i will just mail them in right away or fax them.
:luck::luck:

diverdoc...why don't you call the school?:rolleyes:;)
i just called...the lady was very nice.
She said you can fill it out and send it in but they recomend to wait for when they read your profile and invite you thru email or mail. I guess that makes sense. It would suck to pay 90 bucks and then find out they decided to reject you pre-secondary:eek:
I will probobly fill all the secondaries that are available and have them ready in spamped envelopes so when i do get invoted i will just mail them in right away or fax them.
:luck::luck:

Wait...So you're saying that UMDNJ will invite you for an interview before you need to fill out the secondary? Is that what you mean?

Thanks!

Wait...So you're saying that UMDNJ will invite you for an interview before you need to fill out the secondary? Is that what you mean?

Thanks!

no i mean that they say it is better to wait till they give you green light for sending them your secondary. But if you are not scared of wasting 90 bucks you can go ahead and send it in now.
They just advise to wait because they may reject you without willing to read your secondary...so wait to be invited to fill it out.

I just thought i will make this list for people's information...feel free to pinch in with whatever you know:
:luck::luck::luck:
ATSU-Kirksville---> online secondary-by invite only ($60 or $70 if you request paper)
ATSU-Arizona----> online secondary-by invite only ($60 or $70 like above)
CCOM---> by invite only, they will send you all info, plus you can check your status online at https://www.midwestern.edu/ToolBar/Login.asp , they will send instructions on how to do it with your secondary ($50)
AZCOM----> same as CCOM
DMU----> by invite only, they will send you an email with instructions and password for online secondary ($50)
LECOM Erie---> online, available now for everyone who is completed with AACOMAS http://www.mutualgravity.com/archangel/websurvey/d_survey.php?CID=76&VID=163 ($50)
LECOM Brandenton----> online, available for those who are done with AACOMAS primary http://www.mutualgravity.com/archangel/websurvey/d_survey.php?CID=76&VID=164 ($50)
LMU-DCOM---> available now for those who are done with AACOMAS, paper based http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/supplemental_application.pdf ($50)
Nova---> by invite only ($50)
UMDNJ---> paper based, it's ready now and you can fill it out but they advise to wait with mailing it in for the green light from them by email http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/documents/secondaryapplication20072008_000.doc ($90)
UNECOM---> by email invite only ($55)

FYI: Secondary info is listed at length here

no i mean that they say it is better to wait till they give you green light for sending them your secondary. But if you are not scared of wasting 90 bucks you can go ahead and send it in now.
They just advise to wait because they may reject you without willing to read your secondary...so wait to be invited to fill it out.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. :)

FYI: Secondary info is listed at length here

i know but it's old and half of the links to the secondaries do not work:D
plus i thought it would cool if all the links were in one place and if we knew which ones for 2008 cycle are available now to the public :)

merging threads ...

top post will contain the summary that dr.kicia was kind enough to provide for us. As it gets updated, let someone know and we'll update it!

I was just wondering for those secondaries that do not have a character limit or page limit, how long should the secondaries be? Also, what should be the focus of some of the why osteopathic medicine essays? Thanks

i know but it's old and half of the links to the secondaries do not work:D
plus i thought it would cool if all the links were in one place and if we knew which ones for 2008 cycle are available now to the public :)

Thanks Dr. Kicia! :love:

I was just wondering for those secondaries that do not have a character limit or page limit, how long should the secondaries be? Also, what should be the focus of some of the why osteopathic medicine essays? Thanks

I am going to use about a page for those without a limit.

How long did it take you guys to start receiving secondaries after your AACOMAS app was sent out?

Both by snail mail... essays are:

PCOM-GA- "Why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Georgia Campus"

PCOM- "Why you wish to attend Philadelphia college of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician."

Anybody heard anything yet secondary wise? Snail mail, email for the '08 apps?

I know that the KCOM prompts haven't changed. The admissions counselor of the stars here said that everyone who applys will be getting an email with a login to access it. And now we wait!

Ok - I know we have a list of secondaries and their websites, but most are not available yet. Can we make a collective list of secondaries that are actually available now?

Anybody heard anything yet secondary wise? Snail mail, email for the '08 apps?

got both pcom's, and TOURO-NY via snail mail

VCOM email just saying they are reviewing my primary

Kicia and mshheadoc - thanks for putting this thread together. It's a great resource and good to be able to stay in touch w/ people going through this process.

I got exactly the same letters/e-mails as Tanner has so far.

I didn't apply to any of the schools that tanner did...aaaah too bad...at least i would have more secondaries to fill out:laugh:
for now i am working on my secondary essays (secondaries all filled out) for DCOM, LECOM-B and UMDNJ. And still waiting for the DO LOR which should be comming this week. Plus my MCAT on 7/06:scared::scared::scared:
I had a dream i got an 18 and then i had a dream i got a 30:eek: yeah my mind does not like this stress!:scared: