2007-2008 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have trouble filling out the secondary that is online at their website. I can't seem to be able to fill in the blanks. Any advice??

Which school are you talking about? Did I miss something?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will not be doing any more secondary applications ever. That is my final contribution to this topic.

So today I got an envelope in the mail from PCOM and I have one or two questions...

the first is a little trivial. They included a CDROM with the letter and its super tiny...can i play this in any drive?

My next question is a bit more grave. On the secondary itself it says "what healthcare related experiences have you had?" ... um, other than spending time with sick relatives and family and a few days at a nursing home for a psych project in high school I cant really say anything for that question.

however, I will be volunteering at my local hospital and shadowing a pathologist. I'm wondering ... should just say that I'm pursuing it and I'll send an update letter detailing my activities later on or should just hold off on the secondary altogether and take the risk of sending it in a month or two down the line when I have the hours?

So today I got an envelope in the mail from PCOM and I have one or two questions...

the first is a little trivial. They included a CDROM with the letter and its super tiny...can i play this in any drive?

My next question is a bit more grave. On the secondary itself it says "what healthcare related experiences have you had?" ... um, other than spending time with sick relatives and family and a few days at a nursing home for a psych project in high school I cant really say anything for that question.

however, I will be volunteering at my local hospital and shadowing a pathologist. I'm wondering ... should just say that I'm pursuing it and I'll send an update letter detailing my activities later on or should just hold off on the secondary altogether and take the risk of sending it in a month or two down the line when I have the hours?

As for the CD, I wouldn't play it in a drive that doesn't pop out (the kind that you just put the CD into like on Mac's) but any other pop out CD drive should be OK.

Not trying to be discouraging, but clinical experience is a big thing that Adcom's look for in an applicant. I think the average applicant has around 100+ hours of clinical volunteer hours, so you might not be competitive in that area. I guess I would send in the secondary now, tell them that you are planning on volunteering and, like you said, send an update letter when you've gotten some hours in. So does that mean that you don't have a LOR from a DO or MD yet?

Good Luck :luck:

As for the CD, I wouldn't play it in a drive that doesn’t pop out (the kind that you just put the CD into like on Mac's) but any other pop out CD drive should be OK.

Not trying to be discouraging, but clinical experience is a big thing that Adcom's look for in an applicant. I think the average applicant has around 100+ hours of clinical volunteer hours, so you might not be competitive in that area. I guess I would send in the secondary now, tell them that you are planning on volunteering and, like you said, send an update letter when you've gotten some hours in. So does that mean that you don't have a LOR from a DO or MD yet?

no i do not have a letter for an MD or DO...I won't be able to start volunteering until late Jan. I guess when I start working with the pathologist I'll have him mail something to them?

no i do not have a letter for an MD or DO...I won't be able to start volunteering until late Jan. I guess when I start working with the pathologist I'll have him mail something to them?

Yeah, I think you can definitely ask the pathologist for a letter after you shadow them a few times. Tell them up front that you would like a LOR and ask if they can send it while you're still shadowing. You never know, they might feel comfortable writing you a letter after working with you for only a couple of shifts (my DO LOR writer was like this).

Then you can send the LOR to the schools that you're applying to along with your volunteering update. :)

I have a question about PCOM's secondary as well, but not for the same question. I recently wrote an essay on "why I want to be an osteopathic physician" at PCOM...but I was wondering how detailed about the school you guys went in your essay? I've written a great essay, but I couldn't find many things about the school I wanted to include besides the norm. I did research the school fairly thorougly, but I was wondering how imperative it is to "talk up" the school? Thanks

I have a question about PCOM's secondary as well, but not for the same question. I recently wrote an essay on "why I want to be an osteopathic physician" at PCOM...but I was wondering how detailed about the school you guys went in your essay? I've written a great essay, but I couldn't find many things about the school I wanted to include besides the norm. I did research the school fairly thorougly, but I was wondering how imperative it is to "talk up" the school? Thanks

I just mentioned how the physicians I shadowed were PCOM grads and they were fantastic. Didn't mention the school at all directly...figured that would give me questions for the interview.