Question regarding LICSW licensure supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michalita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding post-masters supervision to gain licensure as an LICSW/LCSW (independent licensure), I was wondering if this is something that people have to pay for or if it something available as part of a job, i.e. if you're working somewhere while being supervised -- does that count?

How much does it normally cost?

Thanks!
Michalita

:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Often times (at least with LPC, MFT stuff) the organization you are working for allows you to complete your hours under a licensed supervisor; personally, my organization just changed it to where I can't, so I will have to find somewhere else...

As far as allowing that, I know that it's perfectly legit, but it may depend on the state. Here in Colorado you are allowed to accrue hours for as much as what you doing. I have many cohorts in my program who are completing their intership hours, and they put 40 hours/week toward their licensure requirements. The same goes for when they are working and have to get the rest of their hours met.

It works out nicely.

I guess the problem with LICSW stuff is that you have to get your supervision from another LICSW in order for it to count. I guess I'm worrying a little early but it'll be good for me know when I'm looking for work post-graduation. For now, I need to be supervised for my pre-masters hours by an LICSW supervisor, which I will be during my placement.

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

Members don't see this ad :)
So supervision is something done above and beyond just having a boss at work. I'm a certified licensure supervisor in my state for LCSW, so I can tell you how we do things but YMMV depending on where you are.

First off, the requirements for the LCSW here are that you must have graduated from a CSWE-accredited school with a MSW. There was a period in the early '90s when the statutes were newly implemented that some non-MSWs got grandfathered in, so every once in a while you find a MEd LCSW or the like but that's increasingly rare. Secondly, you must have a "passing" score on the ASWB exam (usually the clinical exam, not intermediate or advanced). "Passing" varies by state- my state's is 70, but our neighboring state is 75. Then you have your supervised hours requirement...

Typically it has only been a LCSW (or equivalent) who is "qualified" to supervise a MSW for licensure. This is not to be confused with workplace supervisor; I've been supervised in a work setting by LPCs, MSWs without a license, and PhDs. But LICENSURE supervisor will most likely need to be a LCSW. A qualified licensure supervisor may or may not be available through your employer; agencies are not required to provide this, however most recognize that new grads consider it an added benefit. My supervision was provided at my job by someone who was NOT my direct work supervisor. What a blessing, as my direct work supervisor was bat**** crazy and got fired 9 months into my employment. After I was licensed, my company instituted a policy that if you signed up to be supervised in-house (either LPC or LCSW), you had to commit to working there a year post-licensure, or pay back $1000 if you left early (pro-rated monthly for each month you stayed). Some places may contract with someone to come in.. some places may tell you you're on your own. There are certainly private practitioners (myself included) who will offer supervision; your state committee for SWs may keep a list of these people. Some will charge the full hourly fee they charge to a client, some will charge a lower rate or do sliding scale, and some may offer supervision pro bono. If you are using a supervisor outside your agency, it is imperative that your agency be aware of this and that they are in agreement. After all, you cannot effectively do supervision without disclosing some confidential patient information. Written consents will likely need to be obtained. (I've seen it before where the agency officially makes the supervisor a "business associate", thereby skirting the "every client must sign a consent for the MSW to share info with the supervisor" thing.) Effectively, you wind up with your work supervisor AND your licensure supervisor, often not the same person.

On finding a supervisor, the supervisee then has to register their supervision, so the state can make sure it's an acceptable supervisor. Supervision consists of regular meetings to discuss cases, go over ethical issues, do education, etc etc etc. It needs to average to 1 hr/week, but can be done as 2 hrs e/o week or at max, 4 hrs 1x/mo. Some of this can be done in group supervision (ie 1 supervisor, multiple supervisees) but not all of it. Length of supervision is minimum 24 months AND 3,000 hours, no longer than 48 months. "Two years" is a good guideline if you're working full-time the entire time. Extend it if you're part-time or if you take a break in there. Once you're done, AND you meet all of the other requirements, you apply for your license. I have to fill out an "Attestation Form", verifying that we have done supervision and that I'm willing to stake my license on this person.

State statutes will direct you to how this is done. My state's Department of Professional Regulation website has all the info online, so check for your state.

As a side note, I really don't recommend that your work supervisor be your licensure supervisor.. as I said, my work supervisor got fired, which would have made a HUGE impact on my supervision (would have lost all those hours b/c no attestation form). Also, though, if you have serious concerns about how your supervisor or agency is doing something, it's nice to be able to talk with your licensure supervisor without fear of having professional consequences from raising your concerns. And finally, by going outside your agency, you don't have to worry about changing supervisors if you switch jobs in the middle- you can usually just stay with yours (in my state you just fill out a "Change of Setting" form).

Thanks for your reply!!

Seems to me like getting licensed is an expensive and extensive process, even after you've gotten the degree and taken the exam.

What happens if you switch states in the midst of getting supervision (for MSW)? Or is it best to stay in one place for the duration of the supervising? Do you have to have the same supervisor for all 3,000 hours? I'm concerned because we're planning to move (to California no less - I know, totally different requirements) as soon as I'm done with my degree -- we think.

Thanks for your reply!!

Seems to me like getting licensed is an expensive and extensive process, even after you've gotten the degree and taken the exam.

What happens if you switch states in the midst of getting supervision (for MSW)? Or is it best to stay in one place for the duration of the supervising? Do you have to have the same supervisor for all 3,000 hours? I'm concerned because we're planning to move (to California no less - I know, totally different requirements) as soon as I'm done with my degree -- we think.

It can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I could easily charge that time, but I'm choosing not to. My supervision was free through work, so I feel somewhat obliged to do that for at least one other person.

Again, check the statutes, but it's likely that every state has provisions in place for a change of supervision. In my state, you can give one of two reasons: change of supervisor, or change of setting (work location). Sometimes it's both.

My strong recommendation is to stay in one state for the duration of your supervision. I have anecdotal knowledge of people losing hours because the new state didn't recognize the previous state's supervision regulations. It is MUCH MUCH easier to transfer a license to a new state than it is supervision hours. The last thing you want to have to do is repeat your hours.

And currently, FWIW, I'm dealing with this with my own supervisee. She is getting a new job in our neighboring state (just across the river, not even 15 minutes from my office). We are 19 months in on a 24-month commitment, and our state licensing committee has refused her requests to allow me to continue supervising her because I am not licensed in the other state. Luckily her new employer is able to provide the remainder of her supervision. I still have concerns over whether our state will recognize those last 5 months, as the new supervisor is not licensed in my state. Hopefully it works out for her.

Darn, I wish we were moving to NY instead of CA ;)

pingouin

That was an outstanding reply as to how the supervising process is carried out. Just to follow up, the process is almost exactly the same for an LPC. I always recommended people to find supervisors that are not a part of thier workplace, it makes it much easier to tell the workplace to take a hike when you need to.

Jeff

pingouin

That was an outstanding reply as to how the supervising process is carried out. Just to follow up, the process is almost exactly the same for an LPC. I always recommended people to find supervisors that are not a part of thier workplace, it makes it much easier to tell the workplace to take a hike when you need to.

Jeff
thanks, Jeff! :)

I've noticed that LPCs seem to have a little tougher time moving between states due to different course requirements built into the statutes. Have you seen anything like that?

and btw, michalita- I'm getting the impression you think I'm in NY. not true- I'm in the middle of the middle! :D (transplanted back after grad school in NY)

and btw, michalita- I'm getting the impression you think I'm in NY. not true- I'm in the middle of the middle! :D (transplanted back after grad school in NY)

oh good lord, i'm sorry! my ASSumption!

pingouin

I have found that moving between states is not really a difficulty after you have your full independent license. Most states have moved to using the same license test, the NCE or national counselor exam, so that helps with resiporsity *SP*. I think that it is unwise to try and move between states when working on your internship hours. Good luck everyone.

Jeff