Miracles can happen.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumpintahoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had lost hope. Looked like another round of applying for me. I was on the waitlists for West Virginia and Wake and recently received the rejection letter for West Virginia. Wake starts July 30th....snowballs chance in hell. I received a call on my cell phone from an unfamiliar area code. It was a doctor from WVU. An unexpected slot had just opened for the incoming class - I was next on the list. Rejection was withdrawn and as of a couple hours ago I am the newest addition to the WVU SOM Class of 2011!

Don't give up...

Members don't see this ad.

I had lost hope. Looked like another round of applying for me. I was on the waitlists for West Virginia and Wake and recently received the rejection letter for West Virginia. Wake starts July 30th....snowballs chance in hell. I received a call on my cell phone from an unfamiliar area code. It was a doctor from WVU. An unexpected slot had just opened for the incoming class - I was next on the list. Rejection was withdrawn and as of a couple hours ago I am the newest addition to the WVU SOM Class of 2011!

Don't give up...

Tiem for you to find an apartment. Class starts in 11 days!

Members don't see this ad :)
that's awesome! I just got pulled off a waitlist as well. 8 months of waiting paid off..and now I have a couple weeks to relax before the fun begins

first thread i've read on sdn that gave me chills. I'm currently waiting on 4 with no acceptances, you all have given me a little more hope!!!
congratulations to you all!

Simply awesome. Congrats! Are you from WV?

I am so happy to hear this wonderful news! I wish you success.

THAT IS AWESOME!!! Congrats. Ohhh, the relief of not doing this again.....

Congratulations! They sent you the rejection letter and then called you to take you off the list? How strange.

Congrats :D ... What a great story for you to tell years from now...

That's the most feel-good thing i've read on this site this week. Anyone else have a story like that?

Awesome to hear!!! Congrats!!:thumbup:

Congratulations...I am still waiting for my white knight.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats i got that same rejection letter from WV....heres hoping another spot opens up and they call me!!! pretty please.....

Might have been my spot you got :D

Congrats! So much doom and gloom around here that its great to hear of things working out!

Congratulations on getting into med school!:thumbup:
Good luck to all those still on waiting lists :luck::luck::luck:

Congratulations!! That's just wonderful. I hope you have an absolutely fantastic time.

Don't give up...

Wow, congrats on your miracle! :thumbup: You're gonna be a doctor! :D

How does it feel to be the last person entering a class??? ;)

bleh, if i answer, i risk being the last person in class again, as well as ruining my lurker status. But if i dont answer, then i have to study for mol bio instead of wasting time on sdn. procrastination prevails and i will answer your question with a defiant...i dont know.

that was long-winded

That is really awesome, Congratulations!

By any chance, did you update your application, send an LOI, or do anything for them to change their mind like that?

bleh, if i answer, i risk being the last person in class again, as well as ruining my lurker status. But if i dont answer, then i have to study for mol bio instead of wasting time on sdn. procrastination prevails and i will answer your question with a defiant...i dont know.

that was long-winded

That was really funny, Good Job! keep em comin

Wow, they unrejected you? Awesome, congrats! :)

I shed a tear of happiness for you.
I hope you do great in school.:thumbup:

Thanks everyone, it's still sinking in...

The letter they sent me was pretty much a carefully worded rejection letter, the first line states "It is becoming increasingly apparant that it is highly unlikely that you will be accepted into medical school at West Virginia University for this fall 2007." Then the rest of the letter gives the typical 'don't give up' and 'talk to us about how to improve your application' advice.

Guess that 'highly unlikely' denoted there was still a small chance :D

By any chance, did you update your application, send an LOI, or do anything for them to change their mind like that?

I sent them a letter every 2/3 weeks updating them on what I was doing (I was/am working in oncology clinical trials) and letting them know I was still very interested.

Thanks everyone, it's still sinking in...

The letter they sent me was pretty much a carefully worded rejection letter, the first line states "It is becoming increasingly apparant that it is highly unlikely that you will be accepted into medical school at West Virginia University for this fall 2007." Then the rest of the letter gives the typical 'don't give up' and 'talk to us about how to improve your application' advice.

Guess that 'highly unlikely' denoted there was still a small chance :D

I sent them a letter every 2/3 weeks updating them on what I was doing (I was/am working in oncology clinical trials) and letting them know I was still very interested.

You sent update letters after being REJECTED??! :idea:
Why didn't I think of that?! :oops:

WHat a great story. I am on the waitlist for med school and hoping to be pulled off. Congrats!

This really is an awesome story. I've always heard of these fabled tales of people getting in a few days before classes started but this is the first concrete story of this sort that I've heard. I hope you are still lurking around on SDN and find this thread bumped up so you can update us on how medical school is!