Accepted To Previous Cycle, What Happens to My Other Applied Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scalpel

Reaction score
Hello this is an unexpected and unique situation I’m hoping to get information on. I applied to the current 2023 cycle, and a great DO school reached out and accepted me into the previous 2022 cycle starting in a few days!

1 year I’m ahead now, after sending supplemental apps to other schools. What happens now? Do those schools know I’m going to be a student in a DO program? If they invite me to an interview, can they accept me even if I’m a student and is it even possible for that to happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you can transfer medical schools after completing your first year. I honestly would just take the acceptance if I were you. This cycle could be more difficult than the past one and you risk the chance of striking out with 0 acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdraw your application to the other schools if you intend to go to the school that accepted you.

Withdraw from all of the schools you applied to this cycle if you are accepting the DO acceptance. Congratulations.

Reactions: 3 users
Withdraw from all of the schools you applied to this cycle if you are accepting the DO acceptance. Congratulations.
This^^^^.

OP, what you asking about just isn't done. Most people are not willing to lose the year.

While AMCAS doesn't technically ask about prior matriculation to a DO program, all schools do require all transcripts for every post-secondary institution where you were enrolled for at least one course, even if the credits were transferred, no credit was earned, or you withdrew.

If you get caught messing around with this, your medical career will be over. And, if you disclose that you are currently enrolled in a DO program, no MD program will accept you.

You have a few days to decide whether or not to enroll at the DO school. Once you enroll, you really have no choice but to withdraw all your applications for the current cycle. Not doing so will very likely come back to bite you later.

Reactions: 5 users
Take the acceptance and kiss the premed life goodbye. Celebrate! You’re a medical student now! I think that’s what most would do, and it’s certainly what I would do.

Withdraw your 2023 apps if you choose to accept the 2022 spot. They won't have any way of knowing that you're going to another school unless you tell them.

You cannot interview at a medical school while enrolled at another medical school... that's obviously crazy.

EDIT: Merging your duplicate threads. Please don't post the same thread in multiple locations

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello this is an unexpected and unique situation I’m hoping to get information on. I applied to the current 2023 cycle, and a great DO school reached out and accepted me into the previous 2022 cycle starting in a few days!

1 year I’m ahead now, after sending supplemental apps to other schools. What happens now? Do those schools know I’m going to be a student in a DO program? If they invite me to an interview, can they accept me even if I’m a student and is it even possible for that to happen?
If you're a student in medical school applying to other medical schools, on your primary app you will be asked "have you ever matriculated at another medical school?"

How will you answer that?????

If you're a student in medical school applying to other medical schools, on your primary app you will be asked "have you ever matriculated at another medical school?"

How will you answer that?????
Crazily enough, the AMCAS application only asks about MD programs. The bigger issue is going to be lying by omission by not disclosing when they ask what the applicant is doing during the gap year. Not to mention having to provide transcripts, explaining to the DO why they applied to a MD school while enrolled, etc.

It's difficult to see how it would end well, or even why someone would want to deal with it when they already have a seat in a US medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Crazily enough, the AMCAS application only asks about MD programs. The bigger issue is going to be lying by omission by not disclosing when they ask what the applicant is doing during the gap year. Not to mention having to provide transcripts, explaining to the DO why they applied to a MD school while enrolled, etc.

It's difficult to see how it would end well, or even why someone would want to deal with it when they already have a seat in a US medical school.
Oh, that's right!

But it would definitely open a can of worms even if it wasn't mentioned