Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here ya go! I figured I would take the time to post this. (thanks to Mstoothlady2012 & ScienceAide)

SN1 -- Prefer in order: 3'>2'> 1' and will not react with methyls.

Prefers good leaving groups in order:
I- > Br- > Cl- > F- > OH- > OR- > NH2 -
The strength of the nucleophile does not matter, because it is a two-step reaction and the first step is the rate limiting step. The first step is the spontaneous dissociation of the leaving group. (this is why it prefers a highly substituted C)

Prefers Polar Protic Solvents: ex. Water, Alcohol, Carboxylic Acids, Ammonia

2 step mechanism, rate kinetics dependent on only the reactant.

SN2 -- Prefers in order: methyl > 1' > 2' and will not react with tertiary.

Prefers good leaving groups in order:

Prefers a strong nucleophile, because it is required to 'force' the leaving group off of the carbon chain.

Nucleophilic Strength: OR- > OH- > RCOO- > ROH > H20

Prefers Polar Aprotic solvents: ex. Aldehyde, Ketone, DMSO, acetone, DMF, acetonitrile, and HMPA

single step mechanism, and rate kinetics dependent on both reactant and nucleophile concentration. (The higher the concentration of each, the greater chance of a collision between the two)

E1- Prefers in order: 3' > 2' (will probably not react with primary or methyl groups)
( For a secondar reaction, it will require a strong base)
Likes good leaving groups, but less important for E1 than SN1

The nucleophilic strength is not significant for the same reason as SN1.

Prefers polar protic solvents: Water, alcohol, carboxylic acids, ammonia

Mechanism and kinetics follow same trend as SN1

E2- Prefers in order: Methyl > 1' > 2' > 3' (Tertiary is very unlikely, but requires strong base)

Likes good leaving groups.

Prefers Polar Aprotic Solvents: DMSO, aldehyde, ketone, acetone, DMF, acetonitrile, and HMPA

Single step reaction, that relies on Anitperiplanar configuration so that there is no hindrance in the large electron shuffle that takes place in that single step.

If anyone would like to add to the list of Solvents, bases, nucleophiles, etc, please reply to this thread. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.