Chem Question (Community vs University)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScubaEMT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my prerequisites for transfer to a university from the community college I am currently attending. My community college offers chemistry through biochem. It would be nice (and inexpensive) to get as many classes out of the way as possible at the community college, but I have heard that anything beyond the first year chem classes taken at the community college level could be harmful to me later on.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago and did a lot of research into this issue. In a nutshell, unfortunately, it is true that CC grades are not percieved as competetive as University grades. Thus, it is recommended to take your sciences at a 4 year school.

However, if you plan on taking upper level courses at a 4 year school in the same area as the introductory level course you took at the CC then it shouldn't pose a problem - assuming you do well in them of course. In my situation I took my intro biology and chemistry courses at the CC because I knew that I would take quite a bit of upper level bio and chem courses (Biochem Major) at my 4 year school. I avoided physics at the CC for the same reason, I wasn't planning on taking any upper level physics courses. I was also told to look at Orgo as a seperate discipline as well, if you don't plan on taking advanced organic chemistry at a 4 year school (some schools don't even offer this to undergraduates) then avoid taking orgo at the CC as well.

Hope this helps...

It depends on the school [Med] some care while others care less. Get it from the horse's mouth as these tendencies also may vary from time to time, depending on who is the people sitting in the adcom. Best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school [Med] some care while others care less. Get it from the horse's mouth as these tendencies also may vary from time to time, depending on who is the people sitting in the adcom. Best wishes!
completely agree...a 4.0 is a 4.0. no one on the adcom committee is going to bust your chops b/c its a CC and not a "univ". getting the numbers is what will get you to the interview. once you're there, selling yourself is where the PS, resume, individual grades, personality comes in.

I am in the process of finishing my prerequisites for transfer to a university from the community college I am currently attending. My community college offers chemistry through biochem. It would be nice (and inexpensive) to get as many classes out of the way as possible at the community college, but I have heard that anything beyond the first year chem classes taken at the community college level could be harmful to me later on.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

As long as your community college courses are comparable to university coursework, that is, they transfer, then you should be fine. There is nothing wrong with community college coursework as long as it is transferable and you do well. In fact, it's pretty smart to save as much money as you can on tuition so that you don't owe tons of money for your undergraduate degree.

I can't speak for med schools but i did have this same debate when i was doing my post-bacc pre-req's for PT. I already had undergrad loans and was anticipating PT loans so opted to do my sciences at a CC. Many people told me the GPA would not hold it's weight and that it was necessary to go to a 4 year school. I applied at a very competetive time for PT. To my surprise, it never worked against me. My GPA, and not where it came from, was what mattered to get interviews. I ended up at a top 3 school.

I am hopeful that when i apply for med school, the grades will be given a fair review. I worked my butt off in those classes! I'm taking organic chem this fall and opted again for the CC ($600 vs $2,500).

Good Luck

I really appreciate all of your comments and now feel a lot better about taking more classes at the CC. Ive got a 4.0 thus far, so Im not too concerned the grades. Was just a little worried about how it would look to ze admissions people.

With a kid on the way, I am excited about anything that is going to save me a bit of money. :D