Writing your own LOR, Tips and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was trying to sent out reminders to all of those whom I asked for my LOR's, when I get a letter back from a professor (who has known for over 6 months I wanted a letter from them) that they are too busy and that I should write the letter and they'll revise.

Ha. I have no clue where to start off and I'm sure many of you have been in the same situation. I hear its fairly common for those MS IV's asking for LOR's that sometimes doctors do the same thing so I was looking for tips from some of you who have been there and done that.

Some of the tips I found on the web I'll post now. Oh and yeah, I didn't cite where I got everything so some things I'm just blatently posting on here without reference, sorry. I didn't copy all the addresses around when I was looking last night and trying to figure out how the heck I'm supposed to do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Writing Your Own Recommendation
by ResumeEdge.com - The Net's Premier Resume Writing and Editing Service
When requesting a letter of recommendation, don't be surprised if your instructor or supervisor hands the forms back to you and says, "Sure, why don't you go ahead and write the first draft yourself, and I'll revise it and sign at the bottom."

Chances are, that person will already be handling (or dodging) a large number of such requests, and in addition busy schedules sometimes call for letter-writing delegation. This is particularly true within professional settings, where employees are expected to carry out self-evaluations.

You might at first find the assignment rather awkward, but this is a great opportunity to make sure the letter matches your goals and effectively highlights your most relevant achievements. When preparing to write a draft for your own letter of recommendation, keep a few things in mind:

Balance praise with candidness. Many people feel uncomfortable praising themselves. If you are the shy type, cast aside your timidity and try to be objective about your accomplishments. Letters of recommendation are, by definition, laudatory: so grab a sheet of paper and make a list of your good qualities. On the other hand, don't completely discard modesty and err on the side of pure, distilled self-praise: your supervisor might not agree that you are indeed "superhumanly brilliant", and anyway admissions readers are much keener on candid, well-balanced letters than ones rife with superlatives.

Pick wisely and discard the fluff.
Writing your own letter of recommendation is not unlike putting together your resume: you must choose your accomplishments carefully. A letter that highlights two or three specific qualities, accomplishments, and achievements is far stronger than one that covers all your positive traits. If you are having trouble paring down the content, ask a friend or colleague to look over the text and pick out the most impressive points.

Maintain credibility.
Concentrate on making the letter believable. This doesn't mean just sticking with the facts; it means finding a voice that accurately portrays you from the recommendation writer's perspective. Remember that the letter must be stylistically different from your other submitted written work. Vary your vocabulary, adapt expressions, and generally avoid phrasing things exactly as you did, say, in your personal statement or cover letter.

Avoid redundancy. Don't repeat accomplishments that have been described in detail elsewhere in your application. The letter should support your main accomplishments rather than merely rehash your resume. Write about these accomplishments in a new light, expanding on areas where you did not have the opportunity to elaborate on elsewhere in the application or cover letter.

Writing a Letter by ResumeEdge.com - The Net's Premier Resume Writing and Editing Service
Once you have enough information to actually write the letter, set aside anywhere from an hour or two to write it. Remember that, if the applicant needs five versions of the letter (say, for five different graduate programs), you don't necessarily need to write five separate letters. Application forms usually request the same type of information, and you simply need to create variations based on a template.
MAKE A LIST
A great first step is to jot down a list of keywords and key phrases -- accomplishments and qualities -- you want to address within the letter. Such a list will help you avoid the most common mistake made in these letters: vague, metaphoric writing. Anchor your writing to specific images and anecdotes; provide concrete, convincing evidence.
Classify your keywords into:
  • professional/academic qualities
Is this person a leader?
Is this person a strong team player?
Is this person a keen analytical thinker?
Is this person capable of conducting sophisticated research?

• specific skills
Strong communication skills?
Fluency in certain languages?

• personal qualities
Does this person get along with peers?
Does this person have a good sense of humor?

• past accomplishments
What are the principal two or three accomplishments this person has achieved under my guidance?
  • weaknesses
What are some points this person must address to advance his/her career?
How well does this person learn from past mistakes?

• future potential
What do I believe this person is capable of achieving?
Letters of recommendation vary widely in content and form, but solid letters contain a number of common traits. Here below is an outline for a well-structured letter that covers all main points.
INTRODUCTION
First Paragraph: Introduce Yourself
Begin the letter by clearly stating your position, where you work, your relationship to the applicant, and how long you have known and/or worked with the applicant.

Second Paragraph: Give Your General Impression of the Applicant
BODY
Third Paragraph: Applicant Quality # 1
State the applicant's most noteworthy quality, and support that claim with a specific anecdote. For instance, you might say that Samantha is, first and foremost, a born leader; then, support that statement by telling about the time Samantha took the initiative to form a task force to deal with a glitch in the company's computer accounting system.

Fourth Paragraph: Applicant Quality # 2
Again, state your claim with specific anecdotes and concrete examples.

CONCLUSION
Sixth Paragraph: State why you think the applicant's plans suit him/her.
Seventh Paragraph: State how you think the applicant will contribute to the program or company.
Last Paragraph: Strongly reaffirm your confidence in the applicant's abilities and conclude by telling the readers they should feel free to contact you in case they need more information. Don't forget to include your contact information beneath your signature and name.
NOTES ABOUT THE FORMAT AND LENGTH:
Don't handwrite the letter; type it. Handwriting a letter is a sign that you are not serious about the task and will reflect poorly on the applicant.
Remember to use official letterhead, to sign the letter, and to include both complete contact information. When you have folded the letter and put it in an envelope, sign across the seal.
The length of letters of recommendation varies greatly, but five paragraphs is usually the minimum. On the same note, don't go overboard and churn out seven pages, even if you are highly enthusiastic about the candidate. Choose your content wisely, and remember that a concise letter is usually more effective than an overly verbose one.

Do not be surprised if a person you are asking for a recommendation asks you to write a first draft of the letter that he or she will then modify and sign. Begin by providing an accurate assessment of your strengths without dwelling on limitations. Letters of recommendation are intended to be positive and realistic evaluations of performance, competence, and capability. Do not be shy in communicating your strengths. Look at the following suggestions:
  • List your strengths, talents, and abilities. These may include diligence, punctuality, leadership, reliability, enthusiasm, creativity, independence, teamwork, organization, etc.
  • Highlight your strengths and accomplishments without bragging.
  • Choose several of your qualities and strengths that match the current situation; do not list everything you have ever done.
  • Use a professional vocabulary and style; write as if you were the employer providing the letter.
Introduction
  • Introduce yourself as the recommender. State your professional position, how you know the applicant, the length of your relationship, and any other pertinent information to build your credibility as a knowledgeable contributor.
  • Provide an overview of your general impressions of the applicant.
Body
  • Cover one exceptional quality of the applicant in each paragraph
  • Use specific examples to show how you observed each quality
  • Address qualities in order of importance
  • Keep the body of the letter to two or three paragraphs
Conclusion
  • Confirm that the applicant would be a desirable employee, adding any other comments you feel appropriate.
  • Encourage the reader to contact you for additional information or with any questions.
  • Don't forget to personally sign the letter.
Sincerely

Members don't see this ad :)

EXAMPLES
Dear [Mr./Ms. Last Name]:
I am writing to you in support of [Mr./Ms. Full Name] and [his/her] desire to attend [University Name] for the [Program Title] program. Though many students ask me to make this request on their behalf, I only recommend students whom I feel are well-suited for the program of their choice. [Mr./Ms. Last Name] is one of those students and therefore, I highly recommend that [he/she] be given the opportunity to attend your university.
As [Professor’s Title] of [Professor’s Department] at [University Name], I work with many students who have substantial knowledge of [Subject]. [Mr./Ms. Last Name] has consistently shown such a strong desire to learn [subject] that I simply could not turn down [his/her] request for recommendation.
I first met [Mr./Ms. Last Name] in my [Course Title] course during the [Season and Year] semester. Compared to the class average of [Class Average], [Mr./Ms. Last Name] earned a [Grade] in the class. [Mr./Ms. Last Name] was evaluated on [explain basis for grades, e.g., exams, papers, etc.], in which [he/she] performed exceptionally well.
[First Name] is an outstanding individual with a strong character. [He/She] has the ability to produce impressive results in a wide variety of areas. [First Name] is/has [list of positive traits/skills, e.g. organized, motivated, etc.]. I have seen astonishing results on complex projects that offered great attention to detail where quality was never compromised. Additionally, [he/she] has a very positive attitude and truly embraces learning all there is to know about [subject].
Though [First Name] has consistently exceeded in all areas of [his/her] coursework, the best example of [his/her] intelligence shone through a [paper/presentation/project/etc.] on [Work’s Title]. The work clearly showed [his/her] ability to deliver a clear, concise, and well-thought presentation with a new perspective by demonstrating [embellish here].
In addition to [his/her] coursework, [First Name] also dedicated some of [his/her] time volunteering at [Club or Organization Name]. [His/Her] position required [him/her] to [list of tasks]. [He/She] felt volunteering was an important leadership role, in which [he/she] learned [list of skills]. The skills acquired through volunteering will be beneficial to all of [First Name] future endeavors. [First Name] has the ability to manage and organize [his/her] time and schedule around different activities without having them interfere with school. [His/Her] experience at [Club or Organization Name] provided [him/her] with the aptitude that [he/she] needs for graduate school and for a career in [name of career].
I believe [First Name] is destined to be a leader in [type of field], and therefore is an excellent candidate for your school. I highly recommend that you consider [his/her] application, as [he/she] will be a great asset to your program. I’m sure you will find [him/her] to be a student whose talents will only shine further through your graduate program. It is my hope that you will accept [his/her] admission to your university. If you would like further information, please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely,
[Professor’s Name]
[Professor’s Title]
[University]

Dear [Name of Employer]:
This reference letter is provided at the written request of [name of student], who has asked me to
serve as a reference on [his/her] behalf. It is my understanding that [name of student] is being considered by your organization for the position of [job title]. Please be advised that the information contained in this letter is confidential and should be treated as such. The information should not be disclosed to [name of student, if student has waived access] or anyone in your organization who would not be involved in the hiring decision regarding this individual. Additionally, the information should not be disclosed to anyone outside of your organization without the consent of the student.
I have known [name of student] for the past [number of months, semesters, years] as [he/she] has taken the following courses which I teach: [list courses, give brief description of content of course]. As [his/her] professor, I have had an opportunity to observe the student's participation and interaction in class and to evaluate the student's knowledge of the subject matter. I would rate the student's overall performance in these subjects as average. This is evidenced by [his/her] grades--[state the grades].
[One or two specific examples of the student's performance may be appropriate.] As part of [his/her] grade in [name of course], the student was required to prepare a paper. The paper was designed to measure the student's ability to research, to analyze the results of the research, and to write. [Discuss how the paper submitted by the student indicated to you the student's skills in these areas.] Based upon this, I rate the student's skills competent but not excelling.
The one area in which the student performed above average was in oral communications. [Give specific example to support this.]
Based upon the student's academic performance and my understanding of the position for which the student is applying, I believe the student would perform (place overall evaluation here).
If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely,

So, I was trying to sent out reminders to all of those whom I asked for my LOR's, when I get a letter back from a professor (who has known for over 6 months I wanted a letter from them) that they are too busy and that I should write the letter and they'll revise.

I wish I had thought of that because I had a few LOR writers who took forever! It was really surprising to me how long some professors would take. Some of the ones I thoughtt would be on top of things were the very slowest. I even went to my advisor and asked him if he would speak to a couple of them to let them know how important timeliness is in the application process. I'm glad you shared this because I think a lot of people will find it helpful. :D

:D Does anyone have any advice to share about how they started their draft? Without sounding completely conceited and non-professor-sounding-like?

I'd be worried that this would result:

To whom it may concern:
Recently the student Theraball requested a letter in support of his application to medical school. To test his ethics, I offered to have him write the letter on the pretext that I was "too busy", as though I haven't been in the business long enough to know how to whip off a suitable LOR in 10 minutes or so. The ethical test, of course is whether he signs the waiver on your secondary application that specifically states that he has never seen the LORs that were submitted.

If Theraball declined to sign the waiver, then I would say he is honest enough to attend your medical college. If he did sign it, then I leave it up to you to decide how honest and ethical you want your students to be. If it were me, I'd ****can his application. Have a nice day,
Joe "Not so Ivory" Professor

If a professor asks you to write your own LOR, I would recommend running the other way. If he or she doesn't think enough of you to write a strong letter on your behalf, do you really want his recommendation in the first place?

I can see where this practice is sometimes justified, but something about it just rubs me the wrong way. I will admit, one of my professors asked me to write a draft and he would take it and "make it his own" and sign it. Since we've been friends for years, I felt OK about writing my LOR and sending it to him as an example of what would be expected. But with most profs, I'd rather they wanted to write it.

If a professor asks you to write your own LOR, I would recommend running the other way. If he or she doesn't think enough of you to write a strong letter on your behalf, do you really want his recommendation in the first place?

It's actually a pretty common move in the business world...I've seen it happen quite a few times. I don't see why it shouldn't apply in the pre-med world as well.

One of my big-shot letter writers had me write my own LOR. He is an academic neurosurgeon at a major medical center, runs a lab on degenerative neurological diseases, and I was grossly intimidated. At first, I was like, "You have got to be kidding me..." but then I realized after a while that this is pretty normal. And so off I went.

Really, it's a good experience, learning how to write about yourself in a way that is genuine, humble, but makes you shine. My PI signed it without any edits to it whatsoever. I took that as a major compliment.

After that, I had to write letters for my employees and on occasion I would ask the best ones to write the letters themselves, just to see what would happen. I only allowed this because I trusted these people and wanted to ensure they got the best letter they could possibly have. It always turned out really well.

So...take the offer as a compliment, as a testament to your wonderfulness. Have fun with it and make sure you highlight your true talents!

It's actually a pretty common move in the business world...I've seen it happen quite a few times. I don't see why it shouldn't apply in the pre-med world as well.
It actually happens quite a bit in the med world too (unfortunately :p). I know a few people who wrote drafts of letters for their residency as well as for med school. I was just hoping it wasn't me. I half expected this to happen with this professor (very busy but I know wants to write me the best letter) but it would have been nice to let me know sooner.

I hope this is not a problem, but I'd like to resurrect this thread as I am currently undergoing this process. And thank you very much for the templates and the outline. It's helping a lot.

So, I finished a nice day of shadowing today and it ended with "So, when are you going to ask me for a letter of rec?" I felt bad for not bringing it to the table right away and I was a little surprised, but I finally asked and he said for me to write it myself.

Now I'm sitting here trying to do just that before I see him tomorrow.

Since the examples use mainly professors, I don't know if I can use that whole class average or performance thing. At best, all I did was run and get charts for him. We had good conversations, both medical and personal, but how do I go about presenting qualities?

So, here's a checklist, I suppose.
1. Why do you want to get into medicine?
2. You're a re-applicant. What did you do differently this time?
3. Do you think this stuff is cut out for you? (he's family medicine)
4. What do you like to do outside school/med school stuff?

Basically, he asked me things I'd expect on an interview. Can I extrapolate qualities out of this? I know I can't compare myself to others since I figure this letter is going to be qualitative, but what can I say? That I can do this?

All I really want to avoid is a situation where he is reading this tomorrow and saying "That's pretty funny. You'd really think I'd say this?" or something of that nature. So, advice? I'll be up all night if it takes :eek:

EDIT - I thought I'd add this in later, because it might be important:
He is a D.O., but does not believe in the D.O. perception of a holistic philosophy. In fact, he said plainly when I asked him that he picked a D.O. school because he couldn't get into an MD school :(

So, I'm trying to make the letter general to both DO and MD programs, since I also plan to apply to both (at least in TX, where I'm a resident), but I fear this might hurt the whole DO letter requirement thing that DO schools want. Which is the way to go? I feel I can't say things like "He's a good candidate for DO school" because he pretty much said to me that I should go to anywhere that takes me. That's really the only major dilemma I have in terms of content.

:D Does anyone have any advice to share about how they started their draft? Without sounding completely conceited and non-professor-sounding-like?
I had to write three of them for myself. The hardest part was trying to not get them confused and have them sounding alike. I started off by the usual (hold on here, lemme get it) ahhh here we go...

#1 "Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is John Doe, MD. I am an emergency physician practicing as base medical director for podunk ambulance service, as well as an emergency physician(credentials noted) for podunk hospital. As a personal mentor and as a colleague, I feel that I am in an excellent position to attest to his qualities as a person, a student, as well as a clinician... blah-blah-blah.

Dear Admissions Committee,

I take great pride in writing this recommendation in support of "the homie's" candidacy for your program in DO/MD. I am an Associate Professor in the Emergency Medical Service Department at Podunk University. The last 8 years have been spent as the Emergency Medical Technician Program Coordinator and as the primary instructor. In addition to this I have been an active provider in the EMS field for over 20 years. Furthermore, many of my previous students have become very successful physicians. Therefore, I hope my perspective will assist you in evaluating this exceptional candidate.

Mind you, They all revised them extensively. It was just a platform for them to start. Often enough they remember how it is. They are no stranger to the scene.
It helps though to get to know a little bit about the person you are pretending to write for. Anyways, they're pretending to write for you. BTW it also makes them feel better as well when you read up on them a little. It's all a game;-)

jmo