Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with MWU's post-bac program? I know a lot of students that attend MWU eventually get accepted into osteopathic schools or end up in the MWU DO program. But has anyone heard of MWU post-bac students succeeding in getting into allopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad.

MU's MBS program is very effective (well, I can only speak for the Glendale, AZ's MBS program). You're right, majority of the MBS students do feed into the DO route, but I believe it can be due to the following reasons:

1. If you did well in MU MBS program, you're automatic granted an interview at AZCOM in the next application cycle
  2. Since MU MBS's program, you take the same exact basic science courses with the DOs and if you did well in the courses, other DO schools are more compiled to consider to extend an interview to you.
  3. If you do well in the MU MBS program (getting an A in any of the basic science courses) and if you got into AZCOM, then you don't have to take those same courses again when you're actually a DO student because you've already passed it when you're a Post-Bac student! That's a huge incentive for many MU MBS students to stay at AZCOM instead of going to another allopathic school and retake the basic sciences again!

I realize 99% of pre-meds would like to be a MD instead of a DO, but a Post-Bac program is just a mean to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your academic abilities. Becoming a competitive applicant, you can not solely rely on "what post-bac program you attend", but the entire package! You may need to retake your MCAT as well! We all know allopathic admission is much more competitive than osteopathic, so if you want allopathic, then just be sure that you have the "whole" package! I strongly believe that MU's MBS program in Glendale, AZ is an amazing effective program! The basic science department faculty members are great, they teach well and they teach it right. I've experienced basic science teachers from both AZCOM and NSUCOM, the AZCOM basic science faculty BLOWS NSUCOM basic science faculty away!

MU MBS got me into multiple dental schools back in 2001 and I decided on NSU College of Dental Medicine. Dental students at NSU, we had basic science courses with the NSUCOM students taught by the same basic science faculty members. I am not nor I was an Osteopathic student, however, I am an allopathic medical student now because of my Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery residency.

If you need a mean to make your academic profile more competitive, I highly recomend Midwestern University's Masters of Biomedical Sciences program in Glendale AZ! If you got into the program already and you want allopathic schools, then I say go for it. I know there had been students out of this program that had successfully gain admission to an allopathic school. Again, it all depends on the whole picture (ie MCAT), not just what post-bac program you attended. Good luck!

MU MBS got me into multiple dental schools back in 2001 and I decided on NSU College of Dental Medicine. Dental students at NSU, we had basic science courses with the NSUCOM students taught by the same basic science faculty members. I am not nor I was an Osteopathic student, however, I am an allopathic medical student now because of my Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery residency.

I am also really looking into going to MWU in AZ, being it is as close to CA I can get... I am pre-dental and was wondering if you know if MWU AZ would take DAT scores? Also, since I have done all the pre-requisites because I am a science major, would MU MBS be the right thing to do? Is it a formal or informal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have ANY information, whether good or bad, about the Pharmacy School on the Glendale, AZ campus? I was thinking of attending but I can't find much info on it. Anything would be helpful!

i can only speak from what i learned from talking in depth and asking these exact types of questions of the chicago campus location about the program.

they told me that they graduate about 15-20 graduates per year in the program and that every single person who graduated from their program was in some sort of allopathic/osteopathic or professional school somewhere.

my impression from speaking with them that their placement rate at both allopathic as well as osteopathic schools is very very good.

i do not know about the arizona campus but every single person i talked to at the chicago campus was more than willing to answer any and all questions i had about he program :)

god luck :luck:

I am glad to hear about this. I was looking into going there and was wondering about the Allopathic admissions. I am considering this route because of lots of feedback from people on Special Masters Programs, and because I have a 3.3 GPA now, and plan to take the MCAT in a year. I believe that due to my GPA, I should do some more schooling if I can't get it up to a 3.5+. If anyone has done the program in Downers Grove IL please message me!!:)

Hi there... I'm currently a 1st year student in the Masters of Biomedical Science (MBS) Program ("special post-bac program") at Midwestern University in Downers Grove, IL. If you have any specific questions about the program, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck in your endeavors.

Could you tell us how long the program at the IL campus is? I know the site says something like 18-24 months, but I was wondering if it could be done in less.

Could you tell us how long the program at the IL campus is? I know the site says something like 18-24 months, but I was wondering if it could be done in less.

It's a 2-year program that consists of 7-quarters. The reason the program is 18-24 months is because each student works with a research mentor to design and complete an original research project, write a thesis, and defend their thesis. Some students have been able to complete all their required credit-hours and thesis in as little as 18 months. On the other hand, students have had to stay an extra quarter (8-quarters total), during the summer after their classmates had already graduated because they did not yet finished their thesis or needed to make up credit-hour deficiencies. It seems that most students complete the program in 21 months. Again, I am a 1st-year student but I know of some 2nd-year students that were already done with all their classes at the 16th month and now all they need to do is complete their research/thesis. So to answer your question, I think 18 months is probably is the soonest a student can complete this program because in the end it is the research that dictates the length of stay. I hope this helped. Good luck.

It's a 2-year program that consists of 7-quarters. The reason the program is 18-24 months is because each student works with a research mentor to design and complete an original research project, write a thesis, and defend their thesis. Some students have been able to complete all their required credit-hours and thesis in as little as 18 months. On the other hand, students have had to stay an extra quarter (8-quarters total), during the summer after their classmates had already graduated because they did not yet finish their thesis or they needed to make up credit-hour deficiencies. It seems that most students complete the program in 21 months. Again, I am a 1st-year student but I know of some 2nd-year students that were already done with all their classes at the 16th month and now all they need to do is complete their research/thesis. So to answer your question, I think 18 months is probably is the soonest a student can complete this program because in the end it is the research that dictates the length of stay. I hope this helped. Good luck.

Hey Rubbertoe,

Do you think it would be shady to leave this program after a year, once you've gained admission? Is that even possible?

Hey Rubbertoe,

Do you think it would be shady to leave this program after a year, once you've gained admission? Is that even possible?

It is possible to leave the program after one year and it's not considered shady. The reason students leave this program after one year is usually because they become accepted into a professional school (i.e. Dentistry, Medical, Veterinary, etc.). In fact, I have some classmates who have been given interviews to this med school (CCOM), during this first year in of the MBS program, in hopes that they will be starting the med school program this fall.
Our program director addressed this issue to us during our orientation. He said that it is his goal to see that those of us MBS students that want to continue our education in profession schools do so. He continued to say, that if we get accepted during the middle our MBS program, then his goal came that much sooner. Our Masters in Biomedical Science program wants us to move on to the next level, whether it's at the completion of our 2-year program or after one year, once you've gained admission.

I hope this helps. Good luck.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made the deposit for Midwesterns MBS program at Downers Grove! WOOHOO!!! Who will be joining me?

Does anyone know about how many people apply for the program in IL? I am more than likely going to send in my application this upcoming Monday or Tuesday. Is this too late?

Hey! I'm not sure how many apply. I didn't submit my application until a month ago. They did not receive my updated MCAT score until February 26th. I was accepted March 3rd. It is a very fast process.

a friend of mine did the post bac at azcom. he and 3 of his post bac classmates are at st georges now.they did not finish the program. they entered st georges january class

a friend of mine did the post bac at azcom. he and 3 of his post bac classmates are at st georges now.they did not finish the program. they entered st georges january class

hey ORTHO4ME,

what do mean they didnt finish the program and went to georges in JAN? what are they doing in georges then..??

-m

hey ORTHO4ME,

what do mean they didnt finish the program and went to georges in JAN? what are they doing in georges then..??

-m

med school at st georges. instead of finishing the program and trying for a us school, they opted to leave the program early and attend a carribean med school. 3 that i know of. maybe more.

hey ortho4me,

so it seems like they preferred to get an MD in the caribbean instead of getting a DO in US right?

thanks for your response..and gl :luck: with all.

-m

Hmm that is very interesting about the Caribbean thing. I didn't think it was possible.

But, the AZCOM deal is starting to feel up on me. I'll call to see if I am complete tomorrow, but this is taking quite awhile to just hear SOMETHING from them other than please call back tomorrow. I guess you can say its not looking good.

Anyone else hear from their post-bac program (MA)?

hey ortho4me,

so it seems like they preferred to get an MD in the caribbean instead of getting a DO in US right?

thanks for your response..and gl :luck: with all.

-m
i dont think it was a md over do thing at all. i think they were just in a rush to enter med school, and decided to apply for the january class and they got accepted so went. plus, i know, for sure, one of them really wanted to practice in new york, so it wasnt a bad idea to go to st georges. im sure they would have applied to us do schools as well if they had january entering classes. so, it wasnt a do or carrib md issue at all. not to my knowledge at least.

Hmm that is very interesting about the Caribbean thing. I didn't think it was possible.

But, the AZCOM deal is starting to feel up on me. I'll call to see if I am complete tomorrow, but this is taking quite awhile to just hear SOMETHING from them other than please call back tomorrow. I guess you can say its not looking good.

Yes, I am currently applying to MA program.
MA program opens for the first time.
I like it better than MBS.

dentistin2011 Did you already apply for the MA? Have you heard anything yet? If you did get in and don't mind me asking what are your stats like? Thank you...

They have an MA program now in additiona to the MBS program? What's the difference and why did you choose one over the other?

I've just checked my status by phone calls and they've told me that I would have phone-interview soon.
I applied in January.
MA program is 1-year program with course-work only.
Did you apply, Ehhhh?

I have applied recently but I haven't heard back yet... I think they've only filled up a few spot so far... I think they have under 40 applicant so far as well.... I think the range of GPAs for applicant is 2.7 to 3.7... So I have no clue how it will go...

I have applied recently but I haven't heard back yet... I think they've only filled up a few spot so far... I think they have under 40 applicant so far as well.... I think the range of GPAs for applicant is 2.7 to 3.7... So I have no clue how it will go...

I'm not sure how many they will accept but the class size of MBS is 40ish.
how do you know they have under 40 applicants so far?
I am waiting for interview so badly.

I'm not sure how many they will accept but the class size of MBS is 40ish.
how do you know they have under 40 applicants so far?
I am waiting for interview so badly.

I spoke with the program director. They are going to accept around 50 and they may even petition the Administration for more... I think you will have a phone interview with Dr Bell, he's incredibly nice and straightforward... goodluck to you and maybe we'll both be there in fall....

I'm having some difficulty finding this M.A. program on the Midwestern website. Does anyone know where it explains it? It is different from the MBS program only in length apparently? Also, is it available in Arizona and Illinois?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm having some difficulty finding this M.A. program on the Midwestern website. Does anyone know where it explains it? It is different from the MBS program only in length apparently? Also, is it available in Arizona and Illinois?

Any help would be much appreciated.

check this website. it explains everything you asked.
http://www.midwestern.edu/az-biomed/

I was wondering about that too. I applied in Feb and haven't heard anything yet. I know they have my application.

They have an MA program now in additiona to the MBS program? What's the difference and why did you choose one over the other?

They have a chart of differences here.

I choose MA over MBS because I only want to go for a year to strengthen my application and I'm not interested in research.

I am very sorry for cluttering up the message board.

I was only looking at the Illinois campus as I thought their MBS programs were the same. Turns out the AZ has this MA track.

Wow, I feel like a gigantic *******. Once again, very sorry.

I interviewed last Wednesday and received acceptance this week. My interview was with Dr. Jones. The interview was very relaxed and he was very friendly. I think our whole conversation was only about twenty minutes or so. I haven't decided yet but it is likely I will attend in the fall.

:
I interviewed last Wednesday and received acceptance this week. My interview was with Dr. Jones. The interview was very relaxed and he was very friendly. I think our whole conversation was only about twenty minutes or so. I haven't decided yet but it is likely I will attend in the fall.

hey,
Congrats~:thumbup:
Did you apply to MA in Glendale?

hey everyone!!

is there any sort of a linkage (cant think of any other word) when completing a MA in AZ, glendale? I know it strenghtens you application to professional school and what not. does it help you get into AZCOM later..?

hope someone can answer..
congrats to those already in...and gl to everyone else

-m

I'm not sure of the specifics for Glendale. I do know of a few people who did the MS at Downers Grove and are now in at CCOM. There is also a similar program in Ft. Worth, TX at TCOM. If you finish with atleast a 3.5 in the program you are granted an interview and the med school has about 15 spots for the post bac students.

I'm not sure of the specifics for Glendale. I do know of a few people who did the MS at Downers Grove and are now in at CCOM. There is also a similar program in Ft. Worth, TX at TCOM. If you finish with atleast a 3.5 in the program you are granted an interview and the med school has about 15 spots for the post bac students.

thanks axebjc :)

-m

I just applied to both the Glendale & Downers Grove programs. Am I considered late?

Also, can anyone fill me in on what the interview consists of? I work full-time so I'm wondering how it's going to work out.

I applied to the Downers Grove and I never had an interview. I just got a letter of acceptance after they received my updated MCAT score.

I applied to the Downers Grove and I never had an interview. I just got a letter of acceptance after they received my updated MCAT score.

Cool. I didn't know that. I guess only Glendale does interviews.

How long did they give you before a deposit is due?

It was right under 2 weeks. I had to submit a $750 deposit. If I decline the offer atleast 30 days before school starts then I can get $100 back. I have an interview at LECOM this Friday and one at KCUMB April 14th, so if I get in at either school I will be losing $650. I went ahead and paid the deposit because I did not want to risk not having anything to do next year.

^ Yikes.

2 weeks is hardly enough time to ponder such things.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any general information about the interview for either the MA or MBS program? Like what types of questions are asked or any other information regarding the interview. Thank you very much!:)

The interview was pretty standard. He asked about research experiences, short term and long term goals, why do you want to attend the program, etc. Basically everything you would expect to be asked. He spent most of the interview answering my questions about the program.

^ Yikes.

2 weeks is hardly enough time to ponder such things.

Downers Grove gave me about ten days, Glendale on the other hand gave me close to a month to decide.

The interview was pretty standard. He asked about research experiences, short term and long term goals, why do you want to attend the program, etc. Basically everything you would expect to be asked. He spent most of the interview answering my questions about the program.

Thanks so much for the response! Did you interview over the phone or did you have to go to their campus? Thanks.