Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shoot, I accidently pressed enter and didnt finish my message. Newho, Miami I went to UCLA for undergrad and I am from the sf bay area. So if you hear someone saying hella in almost every sentence that comes out of their mouth, thats me!!! Norcal woohooo!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people are coming in from Cali. Dentistin2011 is also from Cali.

As to Miami's question, I'm from TX, undergrad being UT Austin. It's pretty hot here too so hopefully the adjustment isn't too difficult.

I just got off the phone with Dentist and he's a little stunned by the heat after living in San Fran so hopefully he'll get used to it fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure it is not pass fail. I'm guessing that any grade other than the standard A through F is going to have these. I wonder how many classes we can take pass fail though. Probably not that many or none at all.

Besides, they need that GPA standard in order to offer seats for the professional class of 2013. What else could they go by?

I'm pretty sure it is not pass fail. I'm guessing that any grade other than the standard A through F is going to have these. I wonder how many classes we can take pass fail though. Probably not that many or none at all.

Besides, they need that GPA standard in order to offer seats for the professional class of 2013. What else could they go by?

No classes are pass fail. There IS rounding of grades, which is awesome. Failing is <70 percent.

man i was supposed to fly out today, unfortunately one of my extracted wisdom teeth developed into a dry socket.............i'm getting it fixed up later today, then i'm coming down tomorrow!

SBK or anyone, do you have any suggestions for electives? The course descriptions are pretty vague and I and probably others don't want to get rocked this quarter with anything too challenging.

Yeah, if you could tell us about what electives you took, that'd be great :)

In other news, anyone here in San Lagos yet? I haven't heard about a get together from anyone yet, so I guess we can meet at orientation.

Hey flushot,
Three of us just moved into san lagos. we're right above the pool. Want to meet up later this evening around 5 or so?

Hey, sorry about that. I actually don't have internet until tomorrow. I posted using the office computer.

If you'd like we can meet up tomorrow around the same time. Dentistin2011 will be home then too so I can bring him along.

Who makes up the 'three of us'? Are they all on SDN?

SDK, are you still in San Lagos? I got a little confused when we were trying to work out living arrangements months back.

i just visited campus today to check it out and drove by san lagos...it looks AMAZINGGG! u guys are gonna have a great time there!

the 'three of us' all reside in #2072. We're all pre-med and in the MA-BS program. One other roomate besides myself has posted on SDN, however, I don't know his username.

So yea, we've been super bored this weekend and meeting up tomorrow sounds great. Same time works. Have you checked out campus yet?

See you then

That sounds good. Dentistin2011 is going to be back sometime after 5pm tonight so we can meet around 6 or so. Maybe grab dinner?

I'm also waiting for the cable/internet guy from 3-5pm so I'll need some time.

We can meet at the pool area. Just look for an asian guy :smuggrin:

Do any of you new guys want to grab dinner with my friend and I tomorrow night? We can answer any lingering questions you may have and show you around the area or whatever...just respond here or text me (8186534649)

Members don't see this ad :)
SBK, that would be awesome. I know Dentistin2011 would be up for it.

Unfortunately, neither of us have a car, so it might have to be around San Lagos. Anything would be fine, other than that.

I'm also waiting for a response from DHsurf about meeting up today too.

Flushot, we'll meet you at the pool around 6! We've been working on apps all day on campus so we're kinda hungry and might grab food before we meet.
Also, all three of us have cars. I think we would be interested in doing dinner tomorrow night with SBK.

SBK, I would be down. Are you talking about monday night?

Yeah, I'm going to give SBK a call tonight to figure it out. When I meed DHsurf and the others, I'll get their numbers too so we can get together.

Drm, are you in San Lagos too?

Last edited:
Hey ya'll,

I will be arriving in Glendale tomorrow evening....not sure what time. Most likely ~8 pm. What are you all up to? I am going to be living in a house in Arrowhead. However, I have absolutely no idea what the area is like so it'll all be new to me. Let me know what's up.

-Mark

Yeah, I'm going to give SBK a call tonight to figure it out. When I meed DHsurf and the others, I'll get their numbers too so we can get together.

Drm, are you in San Lagos too?

I am in San Prado

Alright, here's the tentative plan... meet in from of Barrel in the parking lot and then head out somewhere to eat and whatnot around 6:30 or 7:00...call me (818-653-4649) or post here if ya'll got questions/need directions/confirm etc.

Hey ya'll,

I will be arriving in Glendale tomorrow evening....not sure what time. Most likely ~8 pm. What are you all up to? I am going to be living in a house in Arrowhead. However, I have absolutely no idea what the area is like so it'll all be new to me. Let me know what's up.

-Mark

just curious where you went to undergrad mark. i went to miami university...and since you said you were coming from chicago and SO many miami students are from chicago i thought you may also be a miami alum. or you could be from florida originally haha.

I did actually go to Miami University. I graduated in 2007 but have been working in Chicago in finance for the past year....not for me. haha. We should catch up when I get in town. Message me your number or something and we'll go from there. Nice to know there's another Miamian in Glendale!

Alright, here's the tentative plan... meet in from of Barrel in the parking lot and then head out somewhere to eat and whatnot around 6:30 or 7:00...call me (818-653-4649) or post here if ya'll got questions/need directions/confirm etc.

see you there

I think my two roomates and I are in for this evening... thanks SBK for meeting up with us

hey guys! i just got in yesterday and would love to meet up with other mbs folks this evening...but i also don't have a car- DHSurf or SBK, is there still room in either of your cars?

-jess
903.312.6946 (but my texting is messed up, ugh! so give me a call!)

Well looks like I will be joining the contingent at the IL campus, I just got my call today, I am off the waitlist!!!!

Yeah, DH, could I also request a ride? Dentist isn't coming so it will just be me.

I'll probably call everyone up here in a minute and confirm where we're meeting, starting with SBK.

Congrats, mommy2three :) It's a shame you won't be joining us in the burning desert :)

Last edited:
Yeah, DH, could I also request a ride? Dentist isn't coming so it will just be me.

I'll probably call everyone up here in a minute and confirm where we're meeting, starting with SBK.

Congrats, mommy2three :) It's a shame you won't be joining us in the burning desert :)

Its so muggy today, kinda like a midwest summer day

I can drive...

Thanks for the great night SBK. I was pretty nervous going into this thing, but I think I speak for a lot of us that you really helped us figure some stuff out and calm the nerves. I'm sure we'll be seeing you around a lot.

Here's the block schedule in PDF format as promised. I'll also type out the courses and profs here.

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/Registrar/documents/08_FABlocks/MA.pdf

Electives

Med Terms - Faculty - 2
Biophysics - Cooper - 4
Epidemiology - Cooper - 1
Profession Exam - Cooper - 2
Oncology - Jones - 3
Medicinal Chem - Chavez - 1.5
Learning Styles - Morgan - 1

I think Med terms and that last two are the only ones you didn't talk about.

Hey guys,
Did you really have to re-send all of your transcripts???
Just the thought of having to do all that in a short amount of time makes me want to go :eek: :barf::smack::bang::boom:

Hey guys,
Did you really have to re-send all of your transcripts???
Just the thought of having to do all that in a short amount of time makes me want to go :eek: :barf::smack::bang::boom:
I didn't resend mine, I just called the office to make sure they still had them. And they did :) Good luck!

I didn't resend mine, I just called the office to make sure they still had them. And they did :) Good luck!

I called today and they had them all with the exception of they need a final transcript from the class that was in progress for the spring semester so I only need one :)

You guys excited about Tuesday?

Oh and who is trying to get a waiver on that health insurance? I don't know if they got it or not yet it is still on my estimated budget. Do you guys think this is normal?

You guys excited about Tuesday?

Oh and who is trying to get a waiver on that health insurance? I don't know if they got it or not yet it is still on my estimated budget. Do you guys think this is normal?

I waived it back in July but it still came up on my bill... the waiver is online under student finances i believe at online.midwestern.edu. You have to make sure each field is filled out...my insurance didn't have an expiration date so I had left that blank... which makes the waiver incomplete so they wont count it.
It took a day after I resubmitted the waiver for the $600 to disappear from my bill...they're pretty good about all that :)

Well, that's the thing: I was pretty sure it was complete. All I could do is resubmit my information. Every field is full and all questions were answered yes. It is still on my estimated bill on the award letter page. Maybe there is another bill page?

Either way I will probably head down to student services on Tues to get it straightened out. I hope there won't be a huge line that day.

my waiver still is not showing either, so i am heading down to student services here to straighten that out on monday.

are you all ready for the first day of classes? let's get this party started already!!!

Woooo, who just bombed that miserable physio test?

In other words, what does everything think so far? It's not too bad right now. The tests are a little juvenile in the way the questions are asked, but that's just me. I finally see what they want and it makes me sad thinking about it.

we have our physio here next week wednesday.
we had biochem today.

i did not think the biochem was that bad....thanks for the forewarning about physio :cool:

I was wondering what kind of stats you think the Admissions committee would like to see? I am trying to get into the Downer's Grove campus.

What are the classes like? Campus life? Anyone from Downer's Grove out there?!

Last edited:
I was wondering what kind of stats you think the Admissions committee would like to see? I am trying to get into the Downer's Grove campus.

What are the classes like? Campus life? Anyone from Downer's Grove out there?!

i am at the downers grove campus, but i commute. feel free to shoot any questions you may have to me :)

i was checking midwesterns website for the MA biomed program(downers grove) but it doesnt mention anything on what their average applicants or acceptees MCATS were averaged to. Anyone have an idea?

i was checking midwesterns website for the MA biomed program(downers grove) but it doesnt mention anything on what their average applicants or acceptees MCATS were averaged to. Anyone have an idea?

i think my class if i remember correctly was a 25.