Prometric Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theTODD1001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my mcat on august 20th, and kaplan had told us to take and read a verbal passage on the break after the PS to get ready for the VR.

As I did this, they proctors told me that i'm not supposed to do that, they have got me on video, and my actions have to be investigated.

I explained to them that i'm on my break, and I haven't seen any part of the test, and they didn't listen to me. This incident drastically lowered my performance on the test; as I was doing the verbal section, all I could think about was that whats going to happen.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know what is going to happen next? Are they going to put a note on my mcat score when they send it to the schools?

I signed up for the sept. 8th test day, should I retake it ? Any suggestions anyone?

I signed up

Members don't see this ad.

wait wtf? what's gonna have to be investigated? what'd they think u were doin?

really sry about this man, absolute motherf*cking horsesh*t

I took my mcat on august 20th, and kaplan had told us to take and read a verbal passage on the break after the PS to get ready for the VR.

As I did this, they proctors told me that i'm not supposed to do that, they have got me on video, and my actions have to be investigated.

I explained to them that i'm on my break, and I haven't seen any part of the test, and they didn't listen to me. This incident drastically lowered my performance on the test; as I was doing the verbal section, all I could think about was that whats going to happen.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know what is going to happen next? Are they going to put a note on my mcat score when they send it to the schools?

I signed up for the sept. 8th test day, should I retake it ? Any suggestions anyone?

I signed up

You're not supposed to look at any study material during breaks. At my test center there were signs stating this and they said that they throw people out who looked at any notes, etc. I think at worst you will have a note by your score... You should email Kaplan and tell them what happened. Good luck on Sept. 8th.

Our TPR teachers told us this too, but I read in the MCAT essentials (which we all have to click "yes" we read and understood it) that you are not allowed to look at any material during the break.

But if you actually leave the testing center during your break, how will they know what you read and didn't? Maybe this isthe best strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our TPR teachers told us this too, but I read in the MCAT essentials (which we all have to click "yes" we read and understood it) that you are not allowed to look at any material during the break.

But if you actually leave the testing center during your break, how will they know what you read and didn't? Maybe this isthe best strategy.

At my center, if we went out the door, they wouldn't let us back into the room to finish our test, and our score would be voided. We were all told this explicitly before we began our test.

Don't blindly follow advice, even if it is from Kaplan or TPR. Don't let the pressure of the exam ruin your common sense. It's all explicitly stated in the MCAT Essentials that they make you promise to say you have read. They'll probably void your exam, tell AMCAS, or both.

I wouldn't rush to take another exam, unless you are certain your score is bad. You don't want to end up with a worse score on the second try. But then again this isn't your standard scenario. Good luck.

I signed up
What!!
reading a passage during the break, what were you thinking, and in the exam room too with notes (since they caught you on video), you're out of your mind, why would anyone in their right mind do that? Man I do not know what to tell you, all mcat scores in the world will be worthless if this gets reported to medical schools, cheating on the MCAT (THEY MIGHT THINK), how can they trust anything else in your file? You need to do what ever you can(if there is anything you can do at this point) to keep that from being reported next to your score.

What!!
reading a passage during the break, what were you thinking, and in the exam room too with notes (since they caught you on video), you're out of your mind, why would anyone in their right mind do that? Man I do not know what to tell you, all mcat scores in the world will be worthless if this gets reported to medical schools, cheating on the MCAT (THEY MIGHT THINK), how can they trust anything else in your file? You need to do what ever you can(if there is anything you can do at this point) to keep that from being reported next to your score.

It wasn't in the exam room. It was out of the exam room, where the lockers are. It was during the time where you can go to the bathroom, get something to eat, or anything else.
They don't monitor the bathroom now, do they?

NON of the proctors ever told us that we are not allowed to read anything during the breaks, a time where you haven't seen any new part of the test, and submitted the part which you have seen. Though they did tell us about do's and dont's of the exam room itself !

When they were using paper exams, people were allowed to take their notes into the exam room, and study them during the breaks !!! This seems really inconsistent, and they should have communicated that better.

I called up prometric, and they told me this has been happening often, and they are informing AAMC about it. I called up the mcat people several times and got different answers. They told me not to worry about anything one time, since prometric has been reporting the most minor mishaps. Another time, they told me someone will call me if they decide to investigate it, I haven't received a call. The proctors also told me that they received an email from AAMC, saying that kaplan has been telling student that we are allowed to read during the break; meaning that AAMC knows about kaplan.

I guess at this point its best to retake it again, although I haven't been keeping up with my studies since aug 20th; Im hoping that I still retain the material and my training of 3 months.

What!!
hahahaha I love how you overreacted lol :D:laugh:

but to the OP, dont worry man, If you were outside the exam room, you can do pretty much anything.. i mean they are not gonna follow you to the washrooms to make sure you are not reading a passage.

It wasn't in the exam room. It was out of the exam room, where the lockers are. It was during the time where you can go to the bathroom, get something to eat, or anything else.
They don't monitor the bathroom now, do they?

NON of the proctors ever told us that we are not allowed to read anything during the breaks, a time where you haven't seen any new part of the test, and submitted the part which you have seen. Though they did tell us about do's and dont's of the exam room itself !

When they were using paper exams, people were allowed to take their notes into the exam room, and study them during the breaks !!! This seems really inconsistent, and they should have communicated that better.

I called up prometric, and they told me this has been happening often, and they are informing AAMC about it. I called up the mcat people several times and got different answers. They told me not to worry about anything one time, since prometric has been reporting the most minor mishaps. Another time, they told me someone will call me if they decide to investigate it, I haven't received a call. The proctors also told me that they received an email from AAMC, saying that kaplan has been telling student that we are allowed to read during the break; meaning that AAMC knows about kaplan.

I guess at this point its best to retake it again, although I haven't been keeping up with my studies since aug 20th; Im hoping that I still retain the material and my training of 3 months.
Well, You should have read that passage in the bathroom then,:laugh::laugh:
Just kidding, good to hear it isn't investigated, you better keep praying for this not to happen, because if it did, kiss your ass good night medical school.

So this hasn't happened to anyone at all here? Prometric people told me that this has been happening very often this year, since it hasn't been communicated very well.

Anyone whose gone through this?

I'm not sure why it is all of a suddent this huge security breach with the CBT test to look at your notes (that's what AAMC says, it is protecting the materials, blah blah blah).

In the past people could look at their notes during breaks, so why is it this huge fuss now?

Anyway, they can't have cameras in the bathrooms so maybe we should just go in there....

I think it depends on your testing center. The center that I used didn't care what you did during your breaks.

A friend of mine tested at a center where obsessive compulsive dictators are running the show. THey were super-strict on all the rules.

Might be a good idea to talk to the workers at the center beforehand. As for this particular dilemma, I wouldn't worry that much about it unless you get a call from AAMC telling you that an investigation is started, if that is the case, discover the merits of a great lawyer.

P.S. I actually ended up arguing with the center workers to get another set of scratch paper. They tried telling me they were conserving paper and that it was impossible to get another set. WARNING: Do not tick off a pre-med student during an MCAT. THey know this now:)