Question About TBR Book Practice Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneBroCO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just recently started my content review using TBR books for the sciences. After doing the about one third of the practice problems at the end of the chapters, I have noticed that many of the questions require knowledge from outside of that specific chapter of the book. For example, one of the questions from chapter 1 of the biology book (Chapter on nerve and muscle) is a straight up genetics question. Do the questions from each chapter actually correspond at all with that chapter or are they all just a mixture of biology questions spread throughout the book? If I don't know the content for specific questions is it safe to assume it will show up in a later chapter?

Members don't see this ad.

This is by design in our phases. The questions embedded in the text portion of each chapter are purely from the material in the chapter, but roughly 20% of the passage-based questions that follow the reading (phases 1, 2, and 3) are aimed to incorporate information from other sections. It can be really frustrating at first, because you are being tested on material you have yet to review. However, it's worth it in the long run, so hang in there. About half way through your review, you will no longer notice it, and in the second half of your review you'll appreciate being reminded of things from other chapters you have reviewed. The scores you get on the homework sections don't matter. The important thing is that you are learning to think like the test writer writes, which often incorporates multiple topics into one question. The only score that matters is your actual MCAT score, and people who stay the course and work hard and time-efficiently are typically quite pleased with the final result.

This is by design in our phases. The questions embedded in the text portion of each chapter are purely from the material in the chapter, but roughly 20% of the passage-based questions that follow the reading (phases 1, 2, and 3) are aimed to incorporate information from other sections. It can be really frustrating at first, because you are being tested on material you have yet to review. However, it's worth it in the long run, so hang in there. About half way through your review, you will no longer notice it, and in the second half of your review you'll appreciate being reminded of things from other chapters you have reviewed. The scores you get on the homework sections don't matter. The important thing is that you are learning to think like the test writer writes, which often incorporates multiple topics into one question. The only score that matters is your actual MCAT score, and people who stay the course and work hard and time-efficiently are typically quite pleased with the final result.
Thank you so much for the reply! I kind of thought that was the case, but I thought I would make sure. So far I am really liking your books!