I heard CT Surgery Was making a comeback and tha Cardiology on its way down!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cacaman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, today while on my surgery rotation (gen surg) I was with my attending and another attending (Vascular Surg) was talking to him and he was saying something about CT surgery making a comeback. He also said that cardiology even with all its bells and whistles was on its way down. He said that he doesn/t understand all the hype about cardiology specially when Vascular Surg. can stent any vessel in the body, coronary circulation included, and CT Surg can fix any other problem in the heart. He said that all the advances in cardiology could not stop vascular from eventually performing angioplasties cardiologists do now and CT Surgs from learning to place stents. In the end he said: "Cardiology is ih shambles and going down. CT surg is coming back to stay"
What do you guys think abput this?

Members don't see this ad.

today an attending told me we are annexing mexico and canada. i believe him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interventional cardiology cases are down 20% this past year.
The general cards now hate interventional cards for putting everyone on plavix and making them bleed out the butt....

They are still predicting a shortage of CT surgeons .
You heard right.

R.I.P CT Surgery

today an attending told me we are annexing mexico and canada. i believe him.

Do you realize how much simpler border control would be if we had annexed Mexico?

Long live the rumor mill.

Oh yeah, I am the Great Saphenous or something!

cards owns all the referrals...plus it's not just about stenting, it's about foci ablation and pacemaker/arrhythmia management as well. also they do cardio imaging.

so no, cards is far from going on its way down, but vascular is definitely on its way up too.

I agree. It is the self-referral (or referral to a partner/someone in the department/old buddy from fellowship) that puts the cardiologists in the driver's seat when it comes to interventions of the heart. When a patient comes into the ED with an acute MI, the call doesn't go to CT surgery, it goes to cards.

Hi folks, today while on my surgery rotation (gen surg) I was with my attending and another attending (Vascular Surg) was talking to him and he was saying something about CT surgery making a comeback. He also said that cardiology even with all its bells and whistles was on its way down. He said that he doesn/t understand all the hype about cardiology specially when Vascular Surg. can stent any vessel in the body, coronary circulation included, and CT Surg can fix any other problem in the heart. He said that all the advances in cardiology could not stop vascular from eventually performing angioplasties cardiologists do now and CT Surgs from learning to place stents. In the end he said: "Cardiology is ih shambles and going down. CT surg is coming back to stay"

Haha I laughed when I read this… I can't believe it was actually written by a medical student. It's like in the waterboy movie when bobby was in class and is like "my momma says dat gators are angry because they got all dem teeth and no toothbrush". :laugh:

Don't believe everything you overhear… 9/10 times it's b.s

Cardiology gets first dibs on the vast majority of vasculopathic cases, because most vasculopaths have coronary diease. After the heart issues are taken care of, cardiology gets to bid or pass (kinda like the Price is Right and the Showcase showdown) on the patient. Usually if they pass, its because the patient is a wreck and there isn't much interventional stuff to offer.

The issue is that there is a glut of interventional cardiologists chasing not enough coronaries (besides stents aren't always the best thing for the patient all the time) so they've to branched into the peripheral vessels to stay gainfully employed. Not necessarily because they offer the best peripheral vascular care, but because they CAN. My only contention is that IRs and Vascular surgeons have always treated peripheral vascular disease since the inception of the respective fields and have been the ones to help pioneer the development of the technology, and it seems that the cardiologist's recent in-roads into peripheral disease seems suspiciously financially motivated.

The issue is that there is a glut of interventional cardiologists chasing not enough coronaries (besides stents aren't always the best thing for the patient all the time) so they've to branched into the peripheral vessels to stay gainfully employed. Not necessarily because they offer the best peripheral vascular care, but because they CAN. My only contention is that IRs and Vascular surgeons have always treated peripheral vascular disease since the inception of the respective fields and have been the ones to help pioneer the development of the technology, and it seems that the cardiologist's recent in-roads into peripheral disease seems suspiciously financially motivated.

Hans, have you ever thought that maybe cardiologists are motivated by becoming the best provider of cardiovascular care and maybe trying to become a one stop for many patients ( not all of course) is the best for the patient??
This way the patient sees one doctor for many of his cardioVASCULAR needs and get it all from the same person. Of course if major intervention that cant be fixed by stenting gets a referral to a vascular or CT surgeon.
I dont mean to offend you, but the truth is that cardiologists control the patient base, and not Vascular Surg., and definitely not IR. Now you can talk all you want about how you know one radiologist or a vasc. surgeon who is the primary physician of some patients, but that is not the rule for IR and Vasc. as it is for cards. I think if the cardiologist can be for many patients the person who can solve many of his cardiovascular problems then so be it. I'd rather see one doc who can stent my coronaries and my carotids all in one stop than being seeing one doctor after another.
I see how many of your posts seem to be motivated by the same thing you say day after day that is what motivates cardiology: money. You always say how cards stole this and that from IR.
Just my take on this issue.

I see how many of your posts seem to be motivated by the same thing you say day after day that is what motivates cardiology: money. You always say how cards stole this and that from IR.

It's not just his perception. It's true and everyone knows it.

truth is that cardiologists control the patient base, and not Vascular Surg., and definitely not IR.

This is what it boils down to. It's not about technical expertise because any of the three groups can learn to do the minimally invasive stuff. It's all about who coordinates the initial care and gets first dibs. Unfortunately, cards are in the driver's seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what it boils down to. It's not about technical expertise because any of the three groups can learn to do the minimally invasive stuff. It's all about who coordinates the initial care and gets first dibs. Unfortunately, cards are in the driver's seat.

This sounds childish to me and driven by pure jealousy, and since you say that any of the three groups can learn to do the minimmaly invasive stuff, then you are contradicting yourself. I'd rather have the cards guys, that know how to manage many problems, than IR, in the driver's seat.

Hans, have you ever thought that maybe cardiologists are motivated by becoming the best provider of cardiovascular care and maybe trying to become a one stop for many patients ( not all of course) is the best for the patient??

Just my take on this issue.

You are absolutely right, it IS about money. Just as you have seen in my other posts, I can't stand it when its clear an applicant is only interested in the money and lifestyle of radiology.

When I talk about certain interventional cardiologists and their peripheral ventures, it absolutely has to do with money. I have a problem when they treat 'an opportunity to help patients' as an excuse to print money.

But before I continue, I want to say that radiologist owned cash-only screening 'body scans' are just as deplorable. Fortunately most of these centers have gone under.

Anyways, as patient advocates, we should do whats best for the patient, not necessarily whats best for your pocket book.

The problem with the cardiologist set-up you describe is the inherent conflict of interest and a set up for unbridled self-referral. Would you be more inclined to Stent the renal arteries for a mild stenosis if there was $2500 extra to be made from each one, knowing that in the majority of cases the cause of the hypertension is essential and medicine is a better option? You, LGMD, may not but for others it might be a little tempting. I don't have a problem with a cardiologist stenting, if he/she can do it SAFELY and WHEN its indicated. My problem is with cardiologists have a tendency to stent everything like its going out of style, for some of the most dubious indications. Drive-by-stenting is really happening. What patients don't realize and some cardiologists don't want to admit iis that stents have a certain life span before intimal hyperplasia occludes the stents. STENTS STENOSE over time! Stents also limit future surgical anastomoses. When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail, especially when there is a huge financial incentive.

This conflict of interest also exists when a clinician owns a share of an imaging center to which he refers patients.

Let me give you an example: 30 year old with worst headache of his life - the clinician (who is also an investor) orders a $2000 brain MRI. If you suspect an a ruptured aneurysm with bleed the indicated study is a non-contrast head CT which is faster, but also happens to be about 1/4th cheaper. If you actually see a bleed then consider a CTA of the brain. Instead he orders the most expensive test. If you are really worried, why not send the patient to the ED instead of your imaging center!

15 year old kid with back pain but no focal neurologic defect order a $1500
L spine MRI (the pretest probability is virtually nil without focal defect).

Its no different from certain GI docs, insisting that every patient be scoped first from above and below, before they will be seen -- 'just to be sure'. Though this is a much less common occurence.

As other posters have alluded to, there are very unscrupulous business practices going on out there, which I am bringing to light. If you can't understand whats going on, then the problem might be with you and not me.

Best

PS.
LGMD trust me you don't want a carotid stent if you can tolerate a CEA instead. And thats something best left to a vascular surgeon... not a cardiologist... and not even an IR!

This sounds childish to me and driven by pure jealousy, and since you say that any of the three groups can learn to do the minimmaly invasive stuff, then you are contradicting yourself. I'd rather have the cards guys, that know how to manage many problems, than IR, in the driver's seat.

I think you got it backwards. IR initially invented and were doing most of the minimally invasive stuff that cards do now. Just like rads were doing cardiac CT reads long before cards. It was the cards who became envious. They're the ones who invaded rads' territory through their control of the patient base to get a piece of the action. Self-referral problems is practically synonymous with cards. That's part of the reason why CMS is cracking down on self-referrals.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118955155529824347.html.html

I see how many of your posts seem to be motivated by the same thing you say day after day that is what motivates cardiology: money.

LG,

You may think I just have a big mouth (OK so maybe I do!), but its not just me.

Taurus you beat me to the punch! ;)

Most interventional cards guys DO NOT follow patients. they are just the "technicians" that do the dirty work for their partners. interventional cards guys are too busy in the cath lab (doing drivebys and other non-indicated procedures). therefore its not like the patient is "one-stop shopping"

Cards is probably on its way down for now, but hey- its all cyclical

Don't get fooled and think its hard to stent things technically. i am sure my junior resident could learn to technically drive a little wire and deploy some stents. its not hard. it's a joke of a "procedure"

the real challenge is for the CT surgeon who has to fix all the screw-ups.
or the vascular guy who has to fix the retroperitoneal hematomas

if you cant fix the complication- don't perform the procedure.

overheard that the FDA is going to approve a percutaneous method to do aortic valvuloplasty.

looks like cardiology is the new cardiac surgery and while i think all this new stuff is kickarse, i do think that cardiac surgery still is cool and should remain an elite specialty...too bad that won't happen.

our health system is so messed up. a place where a guy reading x-rays makes more than a surgeon? well that's just reality i guess eh? =)

LGMD trust me you don't want a carotid stent if you can tolerate a CEA instead. And thats something best left to a vascular surgeon... not a cardiologist... and not even an IR!

God I HOPE Cards and IR aren't thinking of doing CEAs! :eek:

God I HOPE Cards and IR aren't thinking of doing CEAs! :eek:

Nah, my point is that I'm not gonna push for a carotid stent over a CEA, when I know that CEA is better than carotid stenting in the long run in lower risk patients.

Its no different from certain GI docs, insisting that every patient be scoped first from above and below, before they will be seen -- 'just to be sure'. Though this is a much less common occurence.

As other posters have !

GI DOCS do too many scopes and make too much money.. thats a fact.. They scope for any little indication.. geez.. PLus they have a huge poppulation to scope ... everyone over the age of 50... this is the field to go into..

you have to know something about the heart to be imaging it which surgeons know very little about.... \

I disagree... everything is trending towards non invasive... so i cant see how cracking a chest open and going on bypass for a few hours is gonna make a comeback... i mean its not gonna go away.. you are going to need them but its not going to be like it was in the 80s. no freakin way.. not to mention how people are a little more health conscious.. more people are quitting smoking. trying to lose weight... natural and health food stores are becoming more popular.. more people on lipitor.. so primary prevention is the rule.. more people on aspirin. I work with these guys all day long. the vascular surgeons are miserable.. I dont know how they can find what they do gratifying. the patients are all train wrecks and seemingly its hard to help someone who continues to smoke, and drink and to lead a unhealthy lifestyle.. no lower exremity stent or bypass can contend against those elements.. I think vascular is on the decline as well..

"I agree. It is the self-referral (or referral to a partner/someone in the department/old buddy from fellowship) that puts the cardiologists in the driver's seat when it comes to interventions of the heart. When a patient comes into the ED with an acute MI, the call doesn't go to CT surgery, it goes to cards."

to this comment- thank ****ing goodness! the last thing I want when I'm on CT call is to have to come down and work up every bloody patient who has an MI for CABG the next day!

As for the whole "so i cant see how cracking a chest open and going on bypass for a few hours is gonna make a comeback... i mean its not gonna go away.. you are going to need them but its not going to be like it was in the 80s. no freakin way."
I recommend that you go and read the latest research which shows that patients w/ unstable angina> NSTEMI have better outcomes w/ CABG vs PCI (all PCI does is sx relief and then the majority of patients w/in 2 years have to have another intervention). CABG is here to stay.

"not to mention how people are a little more health conscious.. more people are quitting smoking. trying to lose weight"
LOL- really? I guess that's why greater percentages of the population are morbidly obese/overweight and 20% of teens are obese. yea- everyone is getting healthy. There will never be a large patient population for future CT/Vascular surgeons.

I think that while stents have gone down this year, it is only a matter of time before a new generation of stents is delivered and available. Keep in mind that bio-absorvable stents are being studied and researched, and if that fails then something new will come out, and eventually an excellent stent will be produced and be accepted. Cardiology research regarding CAD and stents is booming. Can't say the same for CT surgery. There is a limited number of new things for CT surgery to invent that can be blockbuster treatments.
Heard a CT surgeon the other day say: "All this will be over in around 20 years, because cardiology will take over all this" , this coming from a CT surgeon with 20 years in practice.

, this coming from a CT surgeon with 20 years in practice.

are you currently working as a ct surgeon or are you an assistant or doing vascular? what are you doing out of curiousity?

are you currently working as a ct surgeon or are you an assistant or doing vascular? what are you doing out of curiousity?

Didn't you read on my post that I heard a CT surgeon say this.
Im a med student.
Father and other family members/friends are CT or vascular surgeons.
Why your curiosity?