PharmD+MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPharmN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for pharm schools right now, and it's time to consider some dual programs. PharmD + MBA especially appeals to me. But how's the job outlook for this program though?? It takes 5 years to finish, so I hope it's worth the while, in addition to fulfilling my interest.

It seems like almost 100% of pharmacy students here want to work in retail or hospital. Does any of you want to work as an industry pharmacist, or have MBA? Can you share some of your insights with me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying for pharm schools right now, and it's time to consider some dual programs. PharmD + MBA especially appeals to me. But how's the job outlook for this program though?? It takes 5 years to finish, so I hope it's worth the while, in addition to fulfilling my interest.

It seems like almost 100% of pharmacy students here want to work in retail or hospital. Does any of you want to work as an industry pharmacist, or have MBA? Can you share some of your insights with me? Thanks!

not worth it...if i were you who is willing to spend another 5 yrs for pharm education, just do a residency instead....or do a dual Pharm.D/Ph.D, that'll be way cooler.

Well, I think you have to look at what your goals are as a pharmacist. If you want to work in Retail/Hospital, then I don't see a MBA benefiting you as much. If you want to work in industry, then it will likely improve your chances of getting into managerial positions and above during your career. I would apply for a joint MBA/PharmD degree if it were offered at my schools of choice, but I'm not really in a position to move away. I already have a business degree, and it's only a few more classes.

Some schools offer a joint MBA/PharmD in less than 5 years, so I'd recommend looking around more for schools that offer the joint degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at a school that offers the pharmd/mba joint degree. However, the dual degree does not affect the length of time you are in school. I'll be done at the same time as my pharmd classmates.

Even though I've also been looking for additional info as to the benefits of the joint degree, as far as I've been able to ascertain, it is a way to become a managerial pharmacist. In hospitals, you'd be shooting for administrative positions. The head of my dual degree program said that promotions in the retail field to manager positions come quicker than for pharmds. As for industry, I'm not too sure myself. I know that the potential career choices in industry are broadened with a joint degree. In any case, I've always been interested in business, so it seems like a good idea.

not worth it...if i were you who is willing to spend another 5 yrs for pharm education, just do a residency instead....or do a dual Pharm.D/Ph.D, that'll be way cooler.
It isn't an additional 5 years after the PharmD. It's more like 2 years, unless you can combine it with your PharmD studies to graduate with both PharmD and MBA in 5 years.

I'm at a school that offers the pharmd/mba joint degree. However, the dual degree does not affect the length of time you are in school. I'll be done at the same time as my pharmd classmates.

Hi, which school are you attending, if you don't mind me asking? As far as I know, only South Carolina and UOP have 4 years of PharmD/MBA. Well, UOP is 3 years of PharmD without MBA.

ACP/union do a tandem MBA/PharmdD

Hi, which school are you attending, if you don't mind me asking? As far as I know, only South Carolina and UOP have 4 years of PharmD/MBA. Well, UOP is 3 years of PharmD without MBA.

Mercer university.