Continuing education after PharmD (MBA/MPH/MS/PhD/etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDBro2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here completed a masters degree after pharmd? Any recommendations on programs/schools?

I'm curious about MS in Pharmacy Leadership, Healthcare Administration, or maybe even informatics... would like to hear feedback if any of you have gone and completed one of these programs. Would need to be online and reasonable price-wise.

Discuss.

Some resources I've come across:
List of programs in the US that would be applicable to our field: Graduate Degree Programs for Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences | AACP

Members don't see this ad.

I have a hard time thinking about putting more money into something I already have a terminal degree. Schools are pushing this like companies push residencies. I guess you can ask for the world now but the question is who would pay for it

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone here completed a masters degree after pharmd? Any recommendations on programs/schools?

I'm curious about MS in Pharmacy Leadership, Healthcare Administration, or maybe even informatics... would like to hear feedback if any of you have gone and completed one of these programs. Would need to be online and reasonable price-wise.

Discuss.

Some resources I've come across:
List of programs in the US that would be applicable to our field: Graduate Degree Programs for Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences | AACP
The answer is it depends on what your end goal is...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is it depends on what your end goal is...

DOP at large teaching hospital (maybe childrens hospital) ultimately.

The majority of these folks have at least a board cert and 1-2 masters.

Last edited:
If you pay for your own graduate school (except MBA in certain cases if you are doing it for initial credentials), you are not really wanted. Even in this economy, a graduate degree is paid for by the university through service or the employer. For the MS/PhD classical route, you should not pay for the tuition.

And due to credential escalation, most teaching hospitals are also corresponding faculty that their service or practice appointment is as a DoP. Scott Knoer was that at UMN when he was FU MC's DoP.

If DoP is your endgame, I think time is better spent trying to land a management position at a small rural hospital. Then bounce around to better opportunities every 2-3 years. I had a DoP who had a MS in Microbiology, and of course there are those that have no masters... which leads me to believe it's not really about the degree.

However, there is the argument that some job descriptions "prefer" someone with a masters... so I would look for a cheap MBA and/or HSA program. You mentioned an interest in informatics also... there is a Texas MBA that offers a specialization is informatics and/or business analytics and is 100% online and very cheap (Texas A&M-Kingsville). DM me if you have any particular questions about it.

Some will make the argument that prestigious top 10 programs ($100K+) are your only hope... this is not the case in pharmacy from what I have seen. Even at the c-suite level.

PS: make the Mark Cuban argument if it is ever brought up about why you chose a cheap program... it offers what you need for the lowest price, being cost-conscious is step 1 to being a good business manager.

DOP at large teaching hospital (maybe childrens hospital) ultimately.

The majority of these folks have at least a board cert and 1-2 masters.
At my org I can't think of a single pharmacist who got into management due to getting an MBA. Matter of fact I'd say only <30% of management (including managers, directors, VPs etc) even have an MBA. Of those that do, they typically did those programs after getting into their current role as part of continued professional development, as opposed to getting those credentials "in order to be promoted." If you want to get into management, I don't think there are any glass ceilings that good old hard work, networking and experience can't overcome. Though I do hear that this is completely different in pharma.

Get the job first. Get the credential later. At least this is what I’ve seen our DoPs do, at a very large hospital.

To be frank, the job is already done.

The credential is what's on the horizon. And it's not about the credential, it's about the knowledge learned while completing it. That is what I'm seeking.

To be frank, the job is already done.

The credential is what's on the horizon. And it's not about the credential, it's about the knowledge learned while completing it. That is what I'm seeking.
Completing an MBA only gives you theoretical knowledge that you can't translate into practice/find application for if you're not already working in a managerial role. That's why in my opinion, doing a PharmD/MBA is a waste and doing an MBA when you're a staff pharmacist is also a waste. Regarding the latter, what's more important than "head knowledge" is the understanding of how your particular organization runs, where the gaps are and what levers you need to pull to solve problems which you cannot obtain through taking classes.

I did an MS in jurisprudence after working in industry for a couple years... it wasn't for any practical reason. I had always wanted to take some law classes but I had zero interest in practicing law, so when an option came up to do something with a lot less of a time and cost commitment of a JD, I jumped on it.

I might go for an MBA eventually, I am not sure. I want *some* of those classes but I am not sure I want a full degree. I also like being in school, so for me it's never about something I *need* to do, it's about what I *want* to do.

Back to the original question, no one has a program they've completed that they'd be willing to recommend?

I mean, back to the original point made. You need to ask yourself (1) how much money are you willing to spend, (2) how much time are you willing to invest. If it's only about the credential, go for a cheap program. If it's not about the credential, why even go for one - there are plenty of free Ivy league business classes. If it's a mix of credential and learning, you can literally do that any program. I recommended a program that diversified their curriculum to different interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, back to the original point made. You need to ask yourself (1) how much money are you willing to spend, (2) how much time are you willing to invest. If it's only about the credential, go for a cheap program. If it's not about the credential, why even go for one - there are plenty of free Ivy league business classes. If it's a mix of credential and learning, you can literally do that any program. I recommended a program that diversified their curriculum to different interests.

I think this is great advice! OP might just be looking for people who have completed specific programs to weigh in on what the specific program was and on the quality/what they took away from it.

I already said in OP it needs to be reasonable price-wise, and that it's not about the credential so much as the knowledge. The credentials are what it often takes to get into these positions or at least get your foot in the door. The knowledge is what makes you keep the job and excel. I'm more interested in the latter which is why I asked for specific program recommendations.

I think this is great advice! OP might just be looking for people who have completed specific programs to weigh in on what the specific program was and on the quality/what they took away from it.

That was the point of the thread, indeed.

I am unsure where the disconnect is... but I completed a distant learning MBA that offered diversified business certificates (e.g. business analytics, informatics, etc.) built into the curriculum.. which are hot areas in (pharmacy) business atm. It is one of the most affordable programs in the country. Perfect for non-residents bc it's 100% online, and only takes like 1-1.5 years to complete.

Although I completed the degree, I disagree you need an MBA to acquire and/or maintain a management job... look at all the CEOs that have only a bachelor's from BFE universities. It is my opinion that it's about connections and being good at your job.

Oh well, I gave my 2¢.

Also, I am familiar with all the TX programs listed on your OP list and also know people who have completed the MS program in KS. I think it's hard to make a direct comparison given that people obviously only know about the program they completed.

Based on the management I've met during my career, it also helps to simply be a douche. Is there some kind of advanced douche degree? ADPh (advanced pharmacy douche?)

Based on the management I've met during my career, it also helps to simply be a douche. Is there some kind of advanced douche degree? ADPh (advanced pharmacy douche?)

People can be douches regardless of the credentials behind their name.... and everyone has ****ty bosses/leaders at some point in their careers. I'd hope that people going through leadership/administration training learn how to NOT be a douche, and how to be an encouraging/empathetic leader.

Yeah...I hope a lot of things too....