UC Berkeley Extentsion WARNING

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtg5677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PBPM certificate program is an absolute nightmare. I just want to put this out there. I have numerous examples of why this program or lack there of should be avoided at all costs! I don't want any other post bacs to make the mistake I have. The short list of short comings:
1) Not Berkeley affiliated
2) No real Berkeley profs (contract profs that teach typically for one semester)
3) Inexperienced instructors
4) Poor quality instruction
5) Evening and weekend classes
6) Unethical money grubbing admin
7) Over enrollment of classes
8) NON TRANSFERABLE BASIC SCIENCE CREDIT (some courses will not transfer to local state schools)
To be more specific, after over enrollment of our chem course and the unwillingness of the admin to provide a TA our exams became all multiple choice. Thats right multiple choice chem exams. True the MCAT is multiple choice, but it sure is nice to solve problems and get feedback when you're first learning. Immunology: industry scientist would spend up to 1 hr of our three-hour lecture talking and having us vote on class logistics. This course was also over enrolled and the exams became multiple choice. Not a black and white science, but we were given a black and white exam format. We're covering about half of the material on the syllabus, but we're held accountable for things not covered. Power point slides are incorrect or neglected all together. Class average on the first midterm was a 67, and the instructor will not address this issue. Despite these problems I'm doing well in the courses. Many of us got a petition together to present to the admin, we did this especially after we heard that a few students received refunds for the immunology course. I was pulled into an office and told that I should stop causing trouble and not to go back to class. I was offered a refund on all the courses I'm taking, but I was denied the refund on the only course that I requested one for. Like I said I'm doing fine (an A and a B), so why wouldn't I want to keep those grades right? Basically I was singled out for being a whistle blower on the quality of their "program". I have made arrangements to transfer to a state informal program, and interestingly enough...the chem I'm taking will not transfer!!!!! What Berkeley extension is calling general chemistry is the equivalent to survey/intro or chem for nursing at the state school. The physiology I'm taking is a joke too, hardly a step above an online course. Berkeley extension is not Berkeley! Stay away. I can give more specifics if anyone needs them.
:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

The PBPM certificate program is an absolute nightmare. I just want to put this out there. I have numerous examples of why this program or lack there of should be avoided at all costs! I don't want any other post bacs to make the mistake I have. The short list of short comings:
1) Not Berkeley affiliated
2) No real Berkeley profs (contract profs that teach typically for one semester)
3) Inexperienced instructors
4) Poor quality instruction
5) Evening and weekend classes
6) Unethical money grubbing admin
7) Over enrollment of classes
8) NON TRANSFERABLE BASIC SCIENCE CREDIT (some courses will not transfer to local state schools)
To be more specific, after over enrollment of our chem course and the unwillingness of the admin to provide a TA our exams became all multiple choice. Thats right multiple choice chem exams. True the MCAT is multiple choice, but it sure is nice to solve problems and get feedback when you're first learning. Immunology: industry scientist would spend up to 1 hr of our three-hour lecture talking and having us vote on class logistics. This course was also over enrolled and the exams became multiple choice. Not a black and white science, but we were given a black and white exam format. We're covering about half of the material on the syllabus, but we're held accountable for things not covered. Power point slides are incorrect or neglected all together. Class average on the first midterm was a 67, and the instructor will not address this issue. Despite these problems I'm doing well in the courses. Many of us got a petition together to present to the admin, we did this especially after we heard that a few students received refunds for the immunology course. I was pulled into an office and told that I should stop causing trouble and not to go back to class. I was offered a refund on all the courses I'm taking, but I was denied the refund on the only course that I requested one for. Like I said I'm doing fine (an A and a B), so why wouldn't I want to keep those grades right? Basically I was singled out for being a whistle blower on the quality of their "program". I have made arrangements to transfer to a state informal program, and interestingly enough...the chem I'm taking will not transfer!!!!! What Berkeley extension is calling general chemistry is the equivalent to survey/intro or chem for nursing at the state school. The physiology I'm taking is a joke too, hardly a step above an online course. Berkeley extension is not Berkeley! Stay away. I can give more specifics if anyone needs them.
:mad:

for u bay area pre-meds out there, sfsu open university is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something about extension courses at the UC's have always thrown me off. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

yes, unless they are summer courses, UC extension has always been... disorganized... to its students. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

After doing some research and browsing through the internet, I have come to the conclusion that the Immunology course through the UC Berkeley Extension Online Program is not worth the money, especially for the amount of effort I have put in. No matter how much time I spend on ensuring that I have answered the question properly I can not seem to get anything better then a B. I know this is an online course and that it's up to the student to independently learn the subject, but this is the worse course I have ever taken in my life! The professor is Amy Morgan.

Can someone tell me how to withdrawal while getting all of my money back? Or offer some advice on how to survive this horrible class.

ratemyprofessor.com Maybe you'll save at least one future student...

Kenny081, just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat. I also signed up for the immunology class and cannot make higher than a B on the assignments. At first, I spent hours trying to make my answers perfect. I quickly realized it didn't matter--I receive the same grade no matter what. Oh well...I'm about to start writing the paper, and then just have to pass the final.

On that note, if anyone who has taken this class could tell me ANYTHING about the final I would be extremely grateful. I can't seem to get any answers from the professor about the format (short answer, multiple choice, etc.) or how I should study. The amount of material is so overwhelming!

Pomfii, I have no idea whats in store for the final examination. I'm barely starting on the 4th Unit. I skimmed over the questions ahead and I noticed that they seem to be shorter then the first three, but for all I know they could all be trap questions. =X. Also I was able to get a copy of the Benjimini book on immunology and it seems to be an easier text to understand. The professor is from UC Davis, and I know professors there are pretty easy to understand in general, so this book is a reflection of that.
I should've taken the class while I was there.

Still, when you cant find any parts of an answer on google or wikipedia you know you're in trouble. Please please please please provide any knowledge you could share or heads up about topics that will throw me into a tailspin. Its good to know I'm not the only one on this miserable boat.

All I know is that its a proctored examination and closed book. These are very scary thoughts because of the brain-busting amount of information in this course.

I'm still trying to find a proctor myself. I'll probably send her a question about the final examination when complete the 5th Unit. I'll throw you a life vest if I find out anything specific. Luckly for me she's responded to emails after one-three days.

I was so close to ending up in this program, but I couldn't get my finances straight quick enough. Thank God for that. It is either Mills or SFSU for me.
Any one have any opinions about either one. Mills is crazy expensive!

I was so close to ending up in this program, but I couldn't get my finances straight quick enough. Thank God for that. It is either Mills or SFSU for me.

sfsu hands down. its as cheap as u can get without going to a CC. and the quality of education is excellent.

Thanks for the thread, I was thinking about the extension program vs. the post-bac at SJSU, guess that makes it SJSU for me.

i heard the SFSU postbac program is two years unless you take the informal post bac which is basically extension classes. Do medschools care you are just informally taking classes rather than having a structured formal post bac program?

i heard the SFSU postbac program is two years unless you take the informal post bac which is basically extension classes. Do medschools care you are just informally taking classes rather than having a structured formal post bac program?

formal or informal, med schools couldnt care less. the formal sfsu program is very expensive and u are basically taking the same courses as the informals. informal is the way to go: cheaper + same quality of classes.

I prefered Mills over SFSU for reasons of class size/availability/reputation with adcoms. But SFSU is a good program as well. If you want to avoid big loans for Mills, SFSU is a good choice. Carefully look at scheduling, though, as availability might make it hard to get all the classes you need in one year at State.

Ditto what markboonya said about the formal program at State. It's a complete rip. Just enroll as a second BA-er and you can get essentially the same program.

Best of luck...

Thank goodness you have decided to voice your concern.

Berkeley Extension is a money making machine. That's all they care about. I was a student there and the faculty quality is below that of a community college.

They do not have office hours.....how do students get quality letters of recommendation just by talking to the professor 3 minutes before class and 3 minutes after class? In one of my classes, a fellow student even received an LOR before the classes ended....he got an LOR before he took the final. It is a joke!

The powerpoint presentation was a joke too! You spend a lot of time figuring out the stuff due to severe mistakes. There were a lot of favoritism going around, such as professors telling selected students what will not be on the test, etc.

Some professors even read from the paper for the whole 3 hours!

It is great that you got refunds for your classes. When I was in the problem, we did not know about refunds, and some classmates (they were bored out of their minds....lectures are VERY MIND NUMBING!) even wasted $750 and took a W. The reason why lectures are mind numbing: (1) professors view this position as a second pay check.....some have openly admitted this to us (2) they are not experts. On the website, they are presented as credible professionals, but in real life, they have long retired (and did not update their knowledge) or are just not in the field anymore.

Extension was a WASTE OF MONEY. Go to a state school or even a local community college. You will learn a lot more!

I forgot to mention. Sometimes you will find very optimistic people on this board advertising their program. While some of them are legitimate (e.g. past students talking about their positive experience, etc.), you should still be very careful.

Sometimes, it is the school's administration or professor talking about the program. (Happened to me a few time already!) If I were you, I woud always attend classes and see for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user