Which one sounds better with your name? DDS/DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering today how many people choose one or the other based on how it sounds with their name. For exame: Jamie Smith D.D.S. You get that nice S consistency there as opposed to Jamie Smith D.M.D, not as cool sounding!

Anyway just making a joke topic to ease everybody up.

p.s. I think DDS compliments mine name better.

Members don't see this ad.

DMD fits my name better...but arent you required to keep the title on the degree you earn?

Yes, that is why you choose a school with the oen you want!

Members don't see this ad :)
My dad is a DMD, and I have my maiden name (his name) so I'd really like DMD... I know its silly... but.. well, you asked :)

finally, someone asks a question we want answers to...

DMD is the wave of the future, man.

It's well known that DMD is for insecure MD wannbes with small peepees. I'll rock the DDS to the grave.

Plus, say you ended up doing a 6 yr oral surgery program, think about how ridiculous you coat would look. DMDMD? People are going to think the tailor fell asleep on a keyboard or something.

Reactions: 1 user
It's well known that DMD is for insecure MD wannbes with small peepees. I'll rock the DDS to the grave.

Plus, say you ended up doing a 6 yr oral surgery program, think about how ridiculous you coat would look. DMDMD? People are going to think the tailor fell asleep on a keyboard or something.

saw your pacific class pics. WAKE THA HELL UP! no catnapping in class!

...and oh look, David Duchovny goes to Pacific.

hahaha

saw your pacific class pics. WAKE THA HELL UP! no catnapping in class!

...and oh look, David Duchovny goes to Pacific.

i-want-to-believe.jpg

David Duchovny

IMG_1418.jpg

Elliott Morgan, DDS

vs.

Elliott Morgan, DMD

... the ultimate battle.

I am embarrassed to say how much time I have spent thinking about this. I can open my Organic Chem notebook and see these two contestants facing off in almost every lecture. I can't help it. Their feud is more interesting than the markovnikof and anti-markovnikof battle.

lol

DDS is the most interesting acronym

Doctor of Dental Surgery

In the end, I don't give a (expletive) lol...I just want to practice in my profession & not let the initials bother me.

DMD is a newer degree, and I have heard that some states allow you to use a DDS title, even if you have a DMD degree (because the two are virtually the same). [but I don't know which states]

Members don't see this ad :)
My brothers are both in med school, so for clarity purposes I would like DDS. Plus they'd hate that I would have a title similar to their prestigious, >a dentist, "MD" title; although that could be fun too, haha :)

First, get accepted to one dental school (let alone multiple) before you worry about if you want to have a DDS or DMD degree.

First, get accepted to one dental school (let alone multiple) before you worry about if you want to have a DDS or DMD degree.
*This isn't a very serious thread. ;)

following that I think I will put both in my Initials

Dr. Crrees DMD/DDS

I dont think the OP is being that serious either, hes probably just trying to get people involved in discussing an interesting topic. Plus, with 12 interview invites, (I envy and pity you at the same time...you are gonna be broke for a while, lol) I am pretty confident that the OP will get into at least ONE dental school.

i was talking to an OMFS this past summer and i was discussing whether there is a difference in DDS and DMD (i was kind of new to the dentistry thing back then); so he mentioned that there is a potential psychological reasoning with patients. that is, patients don't really know they are two of the same and simply associate the dmd as higher than DDS since it has "MD' in it and is like a regular MD. therefore, they would rather have a DMD than DDS as a dentist. personally, i think its all kind of stupid but can def happen.

IMO, i would be glad with either but DMD def provides better flow.

i was talking to an OMFS this past summer and i was discussing whether there is a difference in DDS and DMD (i was kind of new to the dentistry thing back then); so he mentioned that there is a potential psychological reasoning with patients. that is, patients don't really know they are two of the same and simply associate the dmd as higher than DDS since it has "MD' in it and is like a regular MD. therefore, they would rather have a DMD than DDS as a dentist. personally, i think its all kind of stupid but can def happen.

IMO, i would be glad with either but DMD def provides better flow.

That OMFS is probably an ego maniac who ended up letting the MD portion of his/her OMFS education go to their head. The general public doesn't know squat about DMD vs DDS. All they know is that the dentist who is working on their mouth graduated from dental school.

I am likely the only one that never heard of DMD before taking an interest in the dental profession? I thought it was DDS or bust.

SugarNaCl, I'll one up you, I didn't know what DDS or DMD was. I would have to say most of the public would not really think about either and just know they are going to see a dentist. The abbreviations on the back i'd assume don't mean a thing. Also, to the MD thing, if they really did put 2 and 2 together and take the time to read it, Doctor of Dental Surgery vs Doctor of Dental Medicine some might put surgeon above medicine because surgeon means more schooling. Although I think this thread is being taken a bit too seriously!!

DDS rhymes with my name so I'll go with DDS

I am likely the only one that never heard of DMD before taking an interest in the dental profession? I thought it was DDS or bust.
My situation precisely.

Hold on, I'm gonna try to turn this thread a bit...The real question is, what tastes better, vanilla cake with chocolate frosting, or chocolate cake with vanilla frosting??? I mean, it's the same thing yet it's just different enough to make you wonder.... I would personally go with vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.

How's Dr. SugarNaCl, Goddess of Occlusion... nice ring, but I just stepped over that line and OFFICIALLY made this thread LAME. I would like to congratulate myself... but I will wait for my fans to do that for me :rolleyes: ... fans? fans? Is anyone out there? :sleep:

How's Dr. SugarNaCl, Goddess of Occlusion... nice ring, but I just stepped over that line and OFFICIALLY made this thread LAME. I would like to congratulate myself... but I will wait for my fans to do that for me :rolleyes: ... fans? fans? Is anyone out there? :sleep:

Congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup: :love::hardy:

and vanilla cake, chocolate frosting. I think chocolate cake vanilla frosting is more D.M.D

Personally DMD goes better...Dr. Lee DMD, but if I ever get married then who knows which one will go so I guess it doesn't matter.

I concur about the vanilla cake with chocolate frosting, although I don't like cake much period would opt for a good homemade cookie instead, plus I'm allergic to dairy so I probably couldn't eat the cake.

DMD went better with my maiden name. DDS goes with my married name - which is good since I'm going to get a DDS degree.

Also, vanilla cake and VANILLA frosting.

I can't remember where I read this or when, but I do remember reading it. :D I read somewhere that a poll was done once, asking patients which degree they thought required more training and who they would rather see. Most picked DMD as requiring more training and a preferable provider (If I remember correctly, it was around 78%). Food for thought.

I am a DMD. I have had patients show up at my place because they thought I had a more prestigious degree. If it works --- I'll use it.

Looks like I accomplished my goal by going for the degree that sounds better with my name.

Dr.Sanchez D.D.S
gotta love that S sound!

Hmm. I think I'll go with W. K. Edgar Lam DMDDS just for fun:D

I am a DDS myself, My last name is hyphenated and I know the DDS goes with my maiden name (my grandfather had DDS) I actually only looked at schools with DDS last year. This year it is DDS at WVU.
L.J. Gordon-Buttermore DDS

So If I became a OMFS

Dr. Awesome B.S B.A M.S D.D.S. M.D------ wow hahhahahaha

Dustin Cohen, D.M.D.... I like it!
Dustin Cohen, D.D.S.....I like it too, ha

Nova = DMD
therefore
Dustin Cohen, DMD, MS, MBA is what it will be

This is something im really passionate about, it's chocolate cake with vanilla frosting till the day i die.

I love the "S" sound personally too. Plus it's classic. But I wouldn't care so long as people still let me put my hands in their mouth.

Last edited:
I am very strongly leaning towards, DDS.

It just has a certain ring to it. I worked for 3 years in a group practice with 9 DDSs and 1 DMD. Very often patients would ask if the DMD was a dentist. I want a title that patients recognize and feel comfortable with.

Well, I'm not sure which one sounds better with my name, although I will be getting a DMD, but I think you just proved that DMD sounds a lot better when talking about multiple dentists. "DDSssssss" versus "DMDs." DMDs just rolls off the tongue. Or we could just call them all dentists. :D

I am very strongly leaning towards, DDS.

It just has a certain ring to it. I worked for 3 years in a group practice with 9 DDSs and 1 DMD. Very often patients would ask if the DMD was a dentist. I want a title that patients recognize and feel comfortable with.

If I accept UMDNJ's offer (which is almost certain at this point), I'll be a DMD. I like it better for several reasons:

1. My last name is very uncommon in the U.S., and according to Google, there is only one dentist with my last name in the country -- and she is a DDS. So I'll be the only one with my last name and DMD after it.

2. Due to some unfortunate experiences a few years ago, I have a (relatively mild) visceral negative reaction to the word "surgery." If I were to graduate from a DDS-granting school, I'd find a way to live with it, but right now I don't want that blasted word next to my name.

My initials are DDS, so naturally I will opt for the DDS title :D

Either one would satisfy me (and my name). :)

I love this thread! DMD, though, is the answer. I've got the Dr. D thing going on.

The best choose DDS!

This will be funny if I go into practice with my father (which i most likely will).

He will be Dr.Spagnoli D.D.S. and I will be Dr.Spagnoli D.M.D :laugh:

This should confuse the hell out of patients, hahaa.

Maybe we can put a sign up that says

Spagnoli & Spagnoli D.D.S./D.M.D. or Spagnoli and Son, D.D.S./D.M.D. hahahaaaaaa

My name is so awesome that either one will be good.

My Mom has a DMD though and in all likelihood, I probably will too. :)