AOA Induction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

ekimsurfer

For any members of AOA, what exactly is taken into consideration when determining who is inducted into AOA? I heard that at our school it is based largely upon grades and Step1 scores, however, whether or not the current student members "like" you is also taken into consideration? Do you feel that politics plays a large roll in acceptance? If so, how much? Being top of your class doesn't necessarily mean you will be accepted correct? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For any members of AOA, what exactly is taken into consideration when determining who is inducted into AOA? I heard that at our school it is based largely upon grades and Step1 scores, however, whether or not the current student members "like" you is also taken into consideration? Do you feel that politics plays a large roll in acceptance? If so, how much? Being top of your class doesn't necessarily mean you will be accepted correct? Thanks

It depends on the school... At my school you are eligible to make AOA if you get 75% honors points for 2 of your first 3 academic terms. Each credit you take is a potential honor point. You can get 1 honors point in in a course if you score 90+% (if basic science) or "H" (if clinical), or 0.5 honors points if you get a high satisfactory in that course (85-89.5% in basic science or "S+" for clinical). Only a certain % of the class will be inducted however - I think the max is like 15%??? - so if a whole bunch of people make the above requirement then they need to show something above and beyond to be inducted. Basically its hard as hell haha

Definitly varies from school to school. Where I am senior AOA members are elected based on 3rd year clerkship grades. To be considered you mostly have to honored surgery, medicine, and one to two other clerkships and HP the rest. In addition you cannot have a bad comment written about you. Then junior AOA (students elected after 2nd yr) along with faculty decide which of these elegible candidates should be elected based on others evals and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
We only have MS4s elected into AOA at our school. The top 1/4 of the class, in terms of number of honors from 2nd and 3rd year, is considered. (We are only pass/fail first year.) From that top 1/4, the number selected can not exceed 1/6 of the class. They say it's dependent on your academic excellence and potential for leadership.

i have one down to earth fraternity...you don't need any special requirements. Its called Broke Phi Broke....come and join us, ain't no shame in being broke. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

i have one down to earth fraternity...you don't need any special requirements. Its called Broke Phi Broke....come and join us, ain't no shame in being broke. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm already a member of the ABA (A$$ Broke A$$), my lord dats alot of a$$.

It depends on the school... At my school you are eligible to make AOA if you get 75% honors points for 2 of your first 3 academic terms. Each credit you take is a potential honor point. You can get 1 honors point in in a course if you score 90+% (if basic science) or "H" (if clinical), or 0.5 honors points if you get a high satisfactory in that course (85-89.5% in basic science or "S+" for clinical). Only a certain % of the class will be inducted however - I think the max is like 15%??? - so if a whole bunch of people make the above requirement then they need to show something above and beyond to be inducted. Basically its hard as hell haha

I actually heard if you are within the top 25% or so you could be elected. Not sure of all the exacts (like besides grades what you need).

Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) rules vary from chapter to chapter. Many allopathic schools do not have AOA chapters. You may also be inducted as a resident/faculty if your residency program is located at an allopathic school that has an AOA chapter that selects residents and/or faculty.

Most people who are likely to be inducted into AOA are notified by the chapter that will induct them. Criteria may be scholarship or scholarship and leadership. AOA is nice to have but definitly not pre-requisite for anything as many schools do not have chapters of AOA.

AOA is not something that you can "lobby for". Either you meet the criteria or you don't. If you don't, don't sweat it and put your energy into having the best clinical years that you can.