You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
is a pharmacist considered a doctor
Started by iwantthis
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ok, don't beat me up over this, im not even finished my pre-reqs yet and i am asking b/c i honestly don't know. so only one person need respond, just with a yes or no... IS A PHARMACIST CONSIDERED A DOCTOR
You have got to be kidding me.
You knew exactly what you were doing posting this, as indicated by the large smiley face on the post.
no and yes
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have got to be kidding me.
You knew exactly what you were doing posting this, as indicated by the large smiley face on the post.
DUDE, are you kidding me. if i was "doing something", why would i ask for one person to respond with a yes or no. your response is what i didn't want. so if you can't tell me yes or no don't bother to comment back. you have got to be kidding me. this is a place where if you don't know something you can ask questions. DONT TRY TO IMPOSE THAT I KNEW ANYTHING. i put a smile b/c i like them and b/c i can -- SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE ONLY ONE PERSON NEED TO RESPOND W/ A YES OR NO-- get a life and try to stay off the drama pill😡
no and yes
here is the thing i want to enter the medical field, and right now i just want to read, inquire, and just learn about everything and put myself out there and get myself acquainted and what better way than this and i don't know if anyone noticed but i have recently joined this website in October, so yes i will ask all the question i want especially i there are people out there willing to help and lead me in the right direction ..... but anyways what do you mean yes and no?😕
Do you mean doctor as in a physician or doctor as in the holder of a doctorate degree?
Theoretically both PhDs and Pharm.D can add the prefix of Dr. to their name. A Ph.D is a doctor of Philosophy and a Pharm.D is a doctor of Pharmacy.
Theoretically both PhDs and Pharm.D can add the prefix of Dr. to their name. A Ph.D is a doctor of Philosophy and a Pharm.D is a doctor of Pharmacy.
Do you mean doctor as in a physician or doctor as in the holder of a doctorate degree?
Theoretically both PhDs and Pharm.D can add the prefix of Dr. to their name. A Ph.D is a doctor of Philosophy and a Pharm.D is a doctor of Pharmacy.
ok thanks for that, simple enough!!!

Like the above poster said, technically you could call yourself "Dr.", BUT I think it is just not practiced in pharmacy to avoid confusion. It seems like in the medical field the title "doctor" is reserved for the people who diagnose patients and write RX's, M.D.s in other words.
It seems like most customers are confused as to what a pharmacist does anyway, I think calling them "doctors" would probably only make it worse.
It seems like most customers are confused as to what a pharmacist does anyway, I think calling them "doctors" would probably only make it worse.
Like the above poster said, technically you could call yourself "Dr.", BUT I think it is just not practiced in pharmacy to avoid confusion. It seems like in the medical field the title "doctor" is reserved for the people who diagnose patients and write RX's, M.D.s in other words.
It seems like most customers are confused as to what a pharmacist does anyway, I think calling them "doctors" would probably only make it worse.
thanks for you opinion🙂 i really appreciate you thoroughness as well as the others on here... good feedback...
ok, don't beat me up over this, im not even finished my pre-reqs yet and i am asking b/c i honestly don't know. so only one person need respond, just with a yes or no... IS A PHARMACIST CONSIDERED A DOCTOR
a pharmacist earns a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, therefore a pharmacist is a doctor.
Think of it like this, some professors hold a doctorate degree and they are referred to as Doctor Smith or whatever. same thing applies to a pharmacist only a pharmacist get paid more.
Fact is Pharmacist and professors with Doctorate degrees CANNOT perform emergency medicine nor prescribe which distinguishes them from what a Doctor is known to be by the GENERAL PUBLIC.
Fact is Pharmacist and professors with Doctorate degrees CANNOT perform emergency medicine nor prescribe which distinguishes them from what a Doctor is known to be by the GENERAL PUBLIC.
Yes, pharmacists with PharmD degrees are doctors.
No, pharmacists with B.Sc degrees are not doctors.
By convention in the health setting, only medical doctors (MD and DO) are addressed as "doctor" to avoid confusion. This carries legal implications as well because only "doctors" (aka MD, DO) can prescribe (exception: PA's and some nurse practitioners under direct supervision).
DDS and OD's don't work with MD's typically, so you can call them doctor just fine without confusion (plus they can prescribe things).
School superintendents usually have Ed.D degrees, and we call them "doctor" within the context of the school system. Same with higher education, anyone with an MD, DO, PhD, PharmD, etc... is to be called doctor.
So yeah I'll be putting "Dr." down when I fill out forms unrelated to health care since I have a doctorate degree, but will avoid that designation when at work.
No, pharmacists with B.Sc degrees are not doctors.
By convention in the health setting, only medical doctors (MD and DO) are addressed as "doctor" to avoid confusion. This carries legal implications as well because only "doctors" (aka MD, DO) can prescribe (exception: PA's and some nurse practitioners under direct supervision).
DDS and OD's don't work with MD's typically, so you can call them doctor just fine without confusion (plus they can prescribe things).
School superintendents usually have Ed.D degrees, and we call them "doctor" within the context of the school system. Same with higher education, anyone with an MD, DO, PhD, PharmD, etc... is to be called doctor.
So yeah I'll be putting "Dr." down when I fill out forms unrelated to health care since I have a doctorate degree, but will avoid that designation when at work.
here is my take on pharmacists and the title doctor.
When you are working with a pharmacist, you call that pharmacist by the first name. Patients should be careful about calling pharmacists doctors because not all pharmacists have a PharmD degree.
When you go to pharmacy school or interview at one, you address professors with PharmD or PhD degrees by Doctor. Never call them by their first names, you will probably offend them. Just from experience.
When you are working with a pharmacist, you call that pharmacist by the first name. Patients should be careful about calling pharmacists doctors because not all pharmacists have a PharmD degree.
When you go to pharmacy school or interview at one, you address professors with PharmD or PhD degrees by Doctor. Never call them by their first names, you will probably offend them. Just from experience.
DUDE, are you kidding me. if i was "doing something", why would i ask for one person to respond with a yes or no. your response is what i didn't want. so if you can't tell me yes or no don't bother to comment back. you have got to be kidding me. this is a place where if you don't know something you can ask questions. DONT TRY TO IMPOSE THAT I KNEW ANYTHING. i put a smile b/c i like them and b/c i can -- SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE ONLY ONE PERSON NEED TO RESPOND W/ A YES OR NO-- get a life and try to stay off the drama pill😡
So thats what it must be like in the big leagues
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like the above poster said, technically you could call yourself "Dr.", BUT I think it is just not practiced in pharmacy to avoid confusion. It seems like in the medical field the title "doctor" is reserved for the people who diagnose patients and write RX's, M.D.s in other words.
It seems like most customers are confused as to what a pharmacist does anyway, I think calling them "doctors" would probably only make it worse.
In Illinois, pharmacists can now write prescriptions under protocol.
DUDE, are you kidding me. if i was "doing something", why would i ask for one person to respond with a yes or no. your response is what i didn't want. so if you can't tell me yes or no don't bother to comment back. you have got to be kidding me. this is a place where if you don't know something you can ask questions. DONT TRY TO IMPOSE THAT I KNEW ANYTHING. i put a smile b/c i like them and b/c i can -- SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE ONLY ONE PERSON NEED TO RESPOND W/ A YES OR NO-- get a life and try to stay off the drama pill😡
So thats what it must be like in the big leagues
If you go to a chiropractors, physical therapist, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, you all call them doctor. Other than a dentist, the scope of these health professionals education is usually not greater than a pharmacist.
I guess it does make sense not to not call a pharmacist a doctor to avoid confusion. I have never met a RPh who was offended.
I have spoken to deans of several schools and i have always called them doctor. If a pharmacist with PharmD gets a teaching job, he'll proly tell his students to call him "doctor"
I guess it does make sense not to not call a pharmacist a doctor to avoid confusion. I have never met a RPh who was offended.
I have spoken to deans of several schools and i have always called them doctor. If a pharmacist with PharmD gets a teaching job, he'll proly tell his students to call him "doctor"
Yes, pharmacists with PharmD degrees are doctors.
No, pharmacists with B.Sc degrees are not doctors.
By convention in the health setting, only medical doctors (MD and DO) are addressed as "doctor" to avoid confusion. This carries legal implications as well because only "doctors" (aka MD, DO) can prescribe (exception: PA's and some nurse practitioners under direct supervision).
DDS and OD's don't work with MD's typically, so you can call them doctor just fine without confusion (plus they can prescribe things).
School superintendents usually have Ed.D degrees, and we call them "doctor" within the context of the school system. Same with higher education, anyone with an MD, DO, PhD, PharmD, etc... is to be called doctor.
So yeah I'll be putting "Dr." down when I fill out forms unrelated to health care since I have a doctorate degree, but will avoid that designation when at work.
Pharmacists can write prescriptions for certain drugs in WA state, and nurse practitioners do not need supervision anymore in WA state to write prescriptions.
What drugs? I just moved from there 3 months ago and I have never heard of independent prescribing authority for WA pharmacists, just protocol based prescribing and the therapeutic interchange program, both of which use someone else's prescriptive authority.Pharmacists can write prescriptions for certain drugs in WA state, and nurse practitioners do not need supervision anymore in WA state to write prescriptions.
Pharmacists can write prescriptions for certain drugs in WA state,
Are you sure you are not confusing Washington with Canada? Protocol prescribing and writing prescriptions are different things.
ya it could be protocol prescribing as it is quite limited as to which drugs pharmacists can actually prescribe here
1
165007
If you go to a chiropractors, physical therapist, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, you all call them doctor. Other than a dentist, the scope of these health professionals education is usually not greater than a pharmacist.
I guess it does make sense not to not call a pharmacist a doctor to avoid confusion. I have never met a RPh who was offended.
I have spoken to deans of several schools and i have always called them doctor. If a pharmacist with PharmD gets a teaching job, he'll proly tell his students to call him "doctor"
How can you even compare those professions? They all specialized in different areas. Ignorant is bliss.
How can you even compare those professions? They all specialized in different areas. Ignorant is bliss.
True I dont agree with that statement. Think about all those Ph D professors who have nobel prizes. Just because they aren't in a 90k or more salary doesn't mean they aren't as intelligent.
How can you even compare those professions? They all specialized in different areas. Ignorant is bliss.
What I meant is that these professions entail similar amount of years school and there are many types of doctors around. Calm down urself down.
1
165007
What I meant is that these professions entail similar amount of years school and there are many types of doctors around. Calm down urself down.
I am sure that is what you mean.....
so what do you mean by "other than a dentist"
how many years of "education" do you think they receive in dental school?
I am sure that is what you mean.....
so what do you mean by "other than a dentist"
how many years of "education" do you think they receive in dental school?
I have friend who spent eight and is also an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. Which actually has nothign to do with my point, which is there are 10+ types of degrees that are considerate doctorate and people shouldn't care if there are considered a doctor or not. Rather focus on the career and make sure u enjoy and it's right for u.
1
165007
I have friend who spent eight and is also an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. Which actually has nothign to do with my point, which is there are 10+ types of degrees that are considerate doctorate and people shouldn't care if there are considered a doctor or not. Rather focus on the career and make sure u enjoy and it's right for u.
Good save
Like the above poster said, technically you could call yourself "Dr.", BUT I think it is just not practiced in pharmacy to avoid confusion. It seems like in the medical field the title "doctor" is reserved for the people who diagnose patients and write RX's, M.D.s in other words.
It seems like most customers are confused as to what a pharmacist does anyway, I think calling them "doctors" would probably only make it worse.
We refer to pharmacists as Dr. at the University of Michigan. At many progressive institutions/research institutions, it is becoming the norm. At the local CVS elsewhere? Probably not.
I would NOT call a chiropractor a doctor. I would, however, call him a quack.If you go to a chiropractors, physical therapist, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, you all call them doctor.
Chiropractors are called Dr. but with their last name and first names swapped.
ie. Dr. Bob, Dr. Joey
ie. Dr. Bob, Dr. Joey
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll call myself Dr. if I want. Who will stop me? The Oklahomans? Ha! I laugh at them. After a few years on the system and actually being out and about....nobody really gives a ****. Including me. I've actually considered getting an MBA and making people call me "Master." That sounds way cooler than "Doctor." Doctor is overplayed and overhyped. You don't even have to get a PhD anymore like back in the day. Hell, there is a joint down the street from me called the Rug Doctor. Or, hell, come up with your own title. "Grand Superior Bear Claw General Dave G. Smith, Jr." or something simple like "Czar Smith". It all means roughly the same thing. Jack ****.
Personally, I think only PhD level degrees should constitute a "doctorate" label. MD, DO, PharmD, DDS, all that should be a masters at best. Did you do a dissertation? Did you defend it? Ok, granted, some programs have a baby version of it, but it's still not the same thing.
Personally, I think only PhD level degrees should constitute a "doctorate" label. MD, DO, PharmD, DDS, all that should be a masters at best. Did you do a dissertation? Did you defend it? Ok, granted, some programs have a baby version of it, but it's still not the same thing.
I'll call myself Dr. if I want. Who will stop me? The Oklahomans? Ha! I laugh at them.
🙂 My sentiments exactly.
There's a thread about who can legally call themselves "doctor" (in Oklahoma) over in the allo forum. Pharmacists are not on the list.
Since when did Oklahoma matter? 😕😕
Every time I see this topic, a little part of me dies.
And every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an angel gets set on fire.
And every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an angel gets set on fire.
I've actually considered getting an MBA and making people call me "Master."
That **** was funny as hell! I gotta use that once I get my masters this summmer. Once I finish pharmacy school I will let them call me Master Doctor James!

Because its likely the same throughout the country.Since when did Oklahoma matter? 😕😕
Sorry to interrupt. You guys can get back to playing doctor now.
Because its likely the same throughout the country.
Sorry to interrupt. You guys can get back to playing doctor now.
I think your opinions will change once you go on rotation and see what we really do (especially once we clinically specialize). Give it a few years, and the condescension will wane.
Awww....listen to the premed act like he's better than everyone...they're so cute at that age.....
I agree with SpaceCowgirl - this topic gets older & older.
Insecurity is a sad thing & this topic brings out the most insecure in many professions......
Insecurity is a sad thing & this topic brings out the most insecure in many professions......
Never said "better." But I don't get the reasoning behind calling yourself a doc because the word is contained in the title of your degree. Should we call JDs doctors, too?Awww....listen to the premed act like he's better than everyone...they're so cute at that age.....
Never said "better." But I don't get the reasoning behind calling yourself a doc because the word is contained in the title of your degree. Should we call JDs doctors, too?
If you spend a little time with the awful search function on here, you could find at least 3 threads which span months & involve physicians with good & bad arguments.
But, it normally comes down to the bottom line of either 1) what the individual wants to be called or 2) what the culture of your work environment dictates.
If the hospital one of us works at makes our name badges, coats, etc worded a certain way - thats the way it is.
Our physician colleagues are very respectful of our titles & normally use them, as we do theirs by the way, when in the professional setting, particularly if someone is new.
When we are not around patients or others, we call each other by first name. Yep - I will call Dr so & so, Bob.
My husband is a dentist, his staff calls him by his first name, which he requested - until the door opens.....then he's drsdn until the door closes.
See - its a non-issue once you get far enough along in your career.
At this point, you perhaps might just be seeing the superficial form of address as a reflection of your role, responsibility, burden, etc.. - none of which is to be taken lightly.
However, that holds true for all the rest of us. But, over 30 years, the title becomes less & less important when I'm dealing with my colleagues. Particularly when the call comes from the circulating nurse that dr so & so wants me in OR room 4. I walk in ask "what do you need Jim, Bob, Mary, Hank.....whatever". They respond with my first name & the question, need, etc.
See - we are not fighting over who "owns" the title - we are using each other's talents as they are designed to be used.
Our titles reflect our years of education - not always experience. It works the same for you. I won't call you a cardiologist until you finish your residency, no matter how long your IM rotation was & how you took an elective in cardiology. But, I'll most certainly call you a cardiologist even if over time I find from my experience with you I wouldn't send my dog with CHF to you. In fact, if that case, I'll always call you dr & won't ever become familiar enough, or want to, to call you Hermit.
Don't feel threatened by others. When you obtain your MD, you will deserve the title of Dr & we will all use it deliberately & obviously (we do this each & every July in teaching hospitals almost to excess with the new interns, altho you might not be aware of it). As you become more confident, that title will not mean as much as what you know and how much people trust you. It will always carry significance to patients because that is how the public identifies you. Rarely are we ever introduced as Drs to the public or introduce ourselves, without specificying we are their pharmacist & are here for a specific drug reason. The only time I can think of is when someone is referred to an anticoag clinic where the lettering on the door says Bob Jones, PharmD Anticoagulation Clinic. That person might introduce himself as being Dr Jones, but the pts own physcian has already made the referral & has said I'm sending you to the anticoag clinic & the pharmacist will adjust your warfarin does. People don't just walk in off the street to find that door.
Interestingly, the time you develop the knowledge the title is just a title, it will be about the same time you notice there are some bad Drs out there - in medicine, pharmacy & just about every other profession which gives them out. Be careful - you will share the same title of a bad dr as you will a good one!
Go search the threads - but, really....they are dead horses here.
I agree that this post is a complete lost cause. I'm almost angry at myself for posting here, but I just can't let this pass.
Hermit, I currently work in a hospital setting with a large residency program. I see guys like you graduate every year. You are arrogant and pathetic and most of all HORRIBLY insecure.
The medical field is a collaborative effort with one goal, and that is patient care. I find that the physicians who are true professionals are the ones who repect everyone in the work environment. I don't expect or care to be called Doctor, but you can be assured that I am not "playing doctor" or playing anything else for that matter. Pharmacists are highly educated credentialed professionals. We earn the title of doctor, and whether or not we choose to use it is our business and our prerogative.
Physicians like the one I am certain you will become are the ones who command the least respect in our hospital. They are called Doctor to their faces, but when their backs are turned their titles become less attractive. If you ever expect to be respected and even well liked then I suggest you change your attitude. Physicians depend a great deal on ancillary services, and if you expect to utilize these services, you're gonna need to play nice.
Oh, by the way, that Oklahoma thread lists the credentials that entitle you to be called "physician." This thread is about being called a doctor. I would never want to be called physician, as that is just inaccurate.🙂
Hermit, I currently work in a hospital setting with a large residency program. I see guys like you graduate every year. You are arrogant and pathetic and most of all HORRIBLY insecure.
The medical field is a collaborative effort with one goal, and that is patient care. I find that the physicians who are true professionals are the ones who repect everyone in the work environment. I don't expect or care to be called Doctor, but you can be assured that I am not "playing doctor" or playing anything else for that matter. Pharmacists are highly educated credentialed professionals. We earn the title of doctor, and whether or not we choose to use it is our business and our prerogative.
Physicians like the one I am certain you will become are the ones who command the least respect in our hospital. They are called Doctor to their faces, but when their backs are turned their titles become less attractive. If you ever expect to be respected and even well liked then I suggest you change your attitude. Physicians depend a great deal on ancillary services, and if you expect to utilize these services, you're gonna need to play nice.
Oh, by the way, that Oklahoma thread lists the credentials that entitle you to be called "physician." This thread is about being called a doctor. I would never want to be called physician, as that is just inaccurate.🙂
Should we call JDs doctors, too?
Yes. A doctorate is an academic degree. To this day I have no idea why a practitioner of a specific trade should get a monopoly over a specific title. They've let laymen nomenclature take over. A physician is a doctor, however a doctor is not a physician. Should we start calling diuretics, "water pills"? I've called all of my professors Dr. "whoever", even if their PhD is in freakin' art. And frankly, I don't think any professional degree is worthy of a "doctorate" title, anyway. PhDs are doctors of whatever they got a degree in as they had to go to graduate school to earn said degree. This doctorate for professional school degrees is silly, IMO.
I'm going through a retro phase and thus refer to all physicians as surgeons.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who cares???
As long as I'm doing my job I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of me. You can call me pharmacist, doctor, or frickin MOE for all I care. I'm in this to help people...end of story.
You guys keep debating and worrying about your titles...I'll keep studying how to be the best pharmacist a patient could ever hope to have.
latahz...🙄
As long as I'm doing my job I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of me. You can call me pharmacist, doctor, or frickin MOE for all I care. I'm in this to help people...end of story.
You guys keep debating and worrying about your titles...I'll keep studying how to be the best pharmacist a patient could ever hope to have.
latahz...🙄
1
165007
Awww....listen to the premed act like he's better than everyone...they're so cute at that age.....
OMFG,
read one of your pre pharm student posts.
he clearly stated that other than med/dental schools, the education at pharmacy schools are above others.
🙄
maybe you should be more concerned with your prepharm students making ignorant comments.
If you go to a chiropractors, physical therapist, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, you all call them doctor. Other than a dentist, the scope of these health professionals education is usually not greater than a pharmacist.
I thought by saying "scope" that he meant that the range of material (different organ systems and related diseases) that pharmacists need to learn is broader than the other health professionals; the other professionals focus on certain systems more specifically than us. So, it didn't really seem like he was disrespectful in my opinion.
But basically, PharmD = Doctor of pharmacy, hence pharmacists with this degree are doctors. I don't really understand what the fuss is.
Yes, JD's are technically doctors too. However, by convention of the courts, those with JD's are addressed as "Mr. Miss, etc... If you are a judge, you are addressed as "your honor." Also, the exception for JD's is if they are a witness in a trial, they are addressed as "doctor."
To put an end (hopefully) to this discussion...YES a PharmD is a doctorate. If they weren't, the degree would just be MS Pharmacy or whatnot.
Usage of the DOCTOR has, and always will, depend on the conventions and customs of your country and setting (academic, medical, or otherwise).
And no, Oklahoma doesn't count, even if you guys get the super sonics.
To put an end (hopefully) to this discussion...YES a PharmD is a doctorate. If they weren't, the degree would just be MS Pharmacy or whatnot.
Usage of the DOCTOR has, and always will, depend on the conventions and customs of your country and setting (academic, medical, or otherwise).
And no, Oklahoma doesn't count, even if you guys get the super sonics.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Question
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 12K