Wake Forest 2012 anyone?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxioushiker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted back in mid-October, and am curious to hear from some others who have a good chance on attending Wake next year. I loved the school and am so happy about my acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, me too
I think its an awesome school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So have you guys looked into living in winston yet?

So have you guys looked into living in winston yet?

Not too much. I am having a tough time comparing Wake with another school that I still am considering. I think financial aid may play a factor in my decision because I really like both schools. Wake is cheaper, so I may be leaning that way. But, to answer your question, it seems like Winston-Salem is pretty affordable, especially compared to living in a metro area. How set on Wake are you at this point?

CONGRATS you guys! Wake is a great school, and I am very excited that you are all considering coming here next year! I am a first year and I really like it here.

Winston-Salem is very affordable, rent-wise. If you have any questions about the school, the area, or would just like to chat, please PM me.

Once again, congrats on the early acceptance, very few people are accepted so early here!

CONGRATS you guys! Wake is a great school, and I am very excited that you are all considering coming here next year!

Winston-Salem is very affordable, rent-wise. If you have any questions about the school, the area, or would just like to chat, please PM me.

Once again, congrats on the early acceptance, very few people are accepted so early here!

Thanks a lot! I just may PM you with some questions in the not so distant future.

Hey. I just got accepted on Friday as well...I am soooo excited!

Congrats on getting in! Im in the c/o 2011, so if you have any questions PM me. Basically, this place owns.

Hey guys, quick question...I sent out a LOI(nterest) recently to WF and I was wondering if anyone had any luck with one pre-interview or if Wake is usually responsive to them. I'm really digging the school and the opportunities offered. Also, do any of the current students know how filled up available seats/interview slots are and how late did some of you interview in previous years?...Sorry to pester but it is Much appreciated :thumbup:

Congratulations to everyone accepted into the class of 2012! I hope you make the (right :)) decision to attend. As a second-year student, I have to say that WFU has exceeded many of my expectations. The people (students, staff, faculty) are approachable, friendly, and genuine. Whether you realize it or not, after spending every day in a lecture hall with 115 other people, the PEOPLE become very important.

PM me if you have any specific questions, particularly about what to do AFTER you accept (living, books, lifestyle, classes, etc). My wife and I have lived in Winston-Salem for more than 15 years; she's also a real estate agent (http://www.lauriebeard.com) - so obviously, we know the area quite well. Best wishes!

I'm also a first year willing to answer any questions. Just send a PM.

Were any of you current students accepted off the waitlist? If so, did you write a letter of interest and do you have any advice about writing one to Wake Forest? I really loved the school, and I know they want to see continued interest, I am just so depressed about being put on the waitlist that I can't seem to find the motivation to write this LOI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were any of you current students accepted off the waitlist? If so, did you write a letter of interest and do you have any advice about writing one to Wake Forest? I really loved the school, and I know they want to see continued interest, I am just so depressed about being put on the waitlist that I can't seem to find the motivation to write this LOI.

Don't fear the waitlist. I got pulled off at the end of June. That being said, I'm pretty sure they finally accepted me because I kept in touch with the admissions office with multiple LOI's and RESPECTFUL phone calls to inquire my status.

Wake likes for their applicants/interviewees to continually show their interest all throughout the app cycle. I got my interview because I called the admissions office, and I eventually got accepted because I kept in touch.

Good luck!

I was accepted in early October this year and loved what I saw. I also have been accepted at my "hometown" medical school so it is certainly very conflicting for me especially both are a horse a piece. If the "hometown" school weren't in the same gray, mildly boring and much malienged midwestern city that I left when deciding to do my undergrad (am doing undergrad out of state) then I'd be much more inclinced to go to said school. I have a cousin going there and the immediate family is a 20-25 minute drive from campus. Having said that, the students at Wake seem like a very cool group, the area is very nice all around, and the people seem enjoyable.

Would any like to comment on what living their is like, faculty attitudes toward students and having a GPA ranking system. Also, how much do you end up reading from a textbook as opposed to getting the information you will be tested on from your lectures and powerpoint? How good is the university health insurance (if you have any experience needing to use it)?

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to Wake! It is an amazing school and I don't think I could be as happy anywhere else! To those of you still waiting, no worries. I didn't interview until mid-February and I got in so don't lose hope too early! If any of you want to look for a place to live next year, I will be looking for a roommate or two to share a 3 bedroom house. I'm an MS2011 so if you're interested feel free to P/M me for more information/pictures/etc. Or if you have any questions about the school or Winston-Salem (except directions to places because I'm horrible at those :) ).

To vidar, the people in Winston-Salem are really nice and it is a very laid-back atmosphere compared to most places. The faculty for the most part seem to really care about the students and they try to adjust things from year to year based on student's suggestions. Almost all lecturers are open and willing to answer questions. As for information from exams, so far it has almost all been from the lectures. I've opened my books very little except for Immunology which was just confusing for me. Sorry but I haven't had any experience with their health insurance, but I will probably be switching to it next year since it is cheaper. Of course all of this is coming from someone who has only been going to the school for a few months so a second-year or higher might be better able to answer your questions.

Well, so far this is the place I'm going to be. Waiting to hear back from state school, but if I don't get in there then see you at Wake!

Yes! I am a part of that class of 2012 at Wake and I'm so excited!

Congrats to everyone and looking forward to meeting you guys!:D

Last edited:
accepted nov. 7th! it's a toss up between wake and south florida right now. what do most 1st years do for living? rent? own? any recommendations on suggested areas for student living?

Someone asked me a few questions about WFU via private message, and here are my answers:

1. my tour guide was very unenthusiastic about the program on the whole and 'was just ready to get out of there.' she said wake was strong in clinicals but did not prepare students for the step 1 boards exams. she said the scores were just about average and students needed to spend a lot of outside time, money, etc. in order to prepare for their step 1. do you find this to be true?

I'm sorry you didn't have a good tour guide. While that person may feel that way, that is in no way the attitude of most people. Compared to other schools, I agree that WFU has more clinical- and problem-based education. And I would therefore imagine that other schools might be able to cram more scientific knowledge into their curriculum. For 2008: USMLE Step 1 average is 218; WFU 2008 average is 216; national pass rate is 93%; WFU pass rate is 96% (first time takers). So I would disagree that WFU "does not prepare" students for the boards. Will it prepare you for >260? I don't think any school can do that... it's more about YOU than the program. FYI - about 8% of students score >245. I am preparing for boards now, and I feel confident that "classic" prep methods are fine (eg - review books, flashcards, notes).

I don't have the numbers, but we absolutely kill Steps 2 and 3... strong clinical skills.

2. what do most students do for their first year as far as living is concerned. rent? own? where in winston would be a good place to start looking?

Ardmore is the closest neighborhood to the school. There are homes for sale, home to rent, and rooms for rent. However, there are no apartment complexes nearby. If you want to rent an apartment, you'll need to drive. Also, there's no "main" apartment complex where most students live. If you want to buy, home prices are quite manageable compared to most of the country. And of course, buying your first year is the best idea to get a good return on investment. My wife is a real estate agent in town (and obviously knows A LOT about medical school life), and would be happy to answer any questions. www.lauriebeard.com

3. do you feel like the faculty take teaching seriously and really care about the students? or are they more concerned with research and other interests?

Absolutely. The relationship with faculty is one of my favorite parts about WFU. They are very approachable and humble. Sometimes they include too much research info in lectures, but that's rare. And they ALWAYS have time to talk with medical students. Always.

4. what do you think about the curriculum at wake?

I give it an A-. It's strong, but there's always room for improvement. And they are constantly tweaking things in response to our feedback. The problem-based learning is a nice break from lectures and really prepares you for clinical years. I sometimes wish they focused a little more explicitly on boards, but in the end, it's about being a good doctor, not some score on a test.

5. what is your opinion on the laptop they give you?

Great. And the IT support is even better.

6. is lecture attendance dwindling?

I wouldn't say it is dwindling. But it certainly decreases once anatomy is over. For an average second-year lecture, attendance is probably 40%. All lectures are recorded and posted online along with the powerpoint.

7. i really like the idea of problem-based learning. how do you feel about the small groups?

WFU has a good balance of PBL and didactic learning. Too many lectures = burnout. Too much PBL = confusion. Wake has just enough PBL to provide variety and prepare for clinical years. But it doesn't rely on the PBL to actually TEACH you the material... only review and synthesize.

8. and most importantly, is it practical for students to ride their bikes to school?

If you live close enough (eg - Ardmore), you can walk or bike. A few people have scooters. The rest drive. I live about 12 minutes away, and the commute has never bothered me.

Someone asked me a few questions about WFU via private message, and here are my answers:

Thanks, this is really useful. It seems like the more time that passes since interview day, the more useful it is to hear student perspectives. It's too bad that there is no second look weekend! I am excited about my Wake acceptance and look forward to receiving more information (i.e. financial aid info). Thanks again too!

Big THANKS to all who replied to my PM yesterday. You have been a great help in the decision process. Since then, I have decided to 'take a second look' and have booked a flight up to Winston this weekend. I'll be arriving on the 19th and leaving Greensboro on the 22nd. I'd really like to be able to meet with a realtor on Sunday afternoon to get an idea of the area as I may be in the market to rent or own a home/apt. Must remember to bring my warm clothes. Looks like thursday is going to be FRIGID.

I was accepted back in October, and so far it looks like wake will be the place for me. The only thing holding me back is fact that my state schools are half as expensive. Does anyone have a clue when financial aid packages are sent, or if there is even such a thing?

I was accepted back in October, and so far it looks like wake will be the place for me. The only thing holding me back is fact that my state schools are half as expensive. Does anyone have a clue when financial aid packages are sent, or if there is even such a thing?

I was wondering the same thing. Current students, do you have any idea?

Hey for those who were acpted.. I interview Feb 12th on paper I love the school I can't wait to see the school and meet the people. any advice ***** I hear the odds are 1 to2 if interviewed ??? is feb too late? It is my #1 choice. also how long will I have to wait to hear?

Unless another current student knows, I'll ask around and get back to you guys soon.

I believe I got my financial aid package sometime in March last year. I can't be sure though. Any other current students on here?

Last year, was there a waiting list for interview invitations? I was told I am in the interview pool, but that they weren't scheduling any interviews at the moment. So, the lady at the admissions office took my contact information and put me on some sort of waiting list...:(

The class is 114, they interview about 500... they interview 4 days a week with 5 to 6 per day adcom meets every 2 weeks and take about 15 the rest get wait listed They get over 10,000 apps. most don't get past the secondary and many don't get interviews.... it is tough everywhere... I have been complete even my secondary begining of Sept

I got a PM about the grading at WFU - here's the deal. The year is divided into blocks and topics (eg - Anatomy, Microbiology, Cardio, etc). Each topic has an exam, for which you receive a numerical grade (eg - 85.7). That exam grade then forms the majority of your topic grade (the other small part is problem-based learning, quizzes, etc). For most topics, the "satisfactory" (passing) grade is above 74. If the class performs poorly in a topic, they sometimes lower the passing grade. If you fail a topic, you talk to the deans and they set strategies to help you do better.

Multiple topics make up a block (used to be called "phases"). For example, "Systems Pathophysiology I" is one block of second year. If you fail the block, it's trouble. The block grade is honors / pass / fail.

If this is confusing to you, I totally agree. I have no idea why it's so complicated. I'm a second-year, so if the first-year system is different, feel free to chime in.

Straight from the financial aid office:

".Applicants accepted by Apr 1 can anticipate receiving an award letter by Apr 15. Those accepted from the wait list will receive award letters as offers to attend are made. Approximately 80-85% of the MD students receive some type of aid.".

what happens to fin aid if you get in off wait list... in June do you miss out?

Hey for those who were acpted.. I interview Feb 12th on paper I love the school I can't wait to see the school and meet the people. any advice ***** I hear the odds are 1 to2 if interviewed ??? is feb too late? It is my #1 choice. also how long will I have to wait to hear?

I interviewed around the same time and got accepted so no...February is not too late. No worries...I'm sure your interview will go splendidly! I found out mid-March. Glad to hear it's your #1 choice! It's a great school!

What advice do you current students have for those of us still waiting on the waitlist in regards to possible financial aid provided a possible acceptance later on? I have heard that many students just go ahead and send in information (FAFSA and specific school financial aid forms) even if they remain on the waitlist. Is this something you would recommend? Also, for those students at Wake accepted off of the waitlist in years past, when did waitlist movement usually start?

Thanks for all the input from current med students. I'm reasonably certain I'm headed to Wake in the Fall, and I'm glad to see students are so positive about the school.

Just bumping....

What are you 2012'ers planning on doing for housing? Rent, buy? Just curious!

hi all I just had my interview on Tues OMG I love this school, I don't see myself anywhere else..... I have had 10 interviews and by far WF is the best. I sure hope I will join you next year. I already wrote them my letter of intent and my thank you notes... anything else?? your all so lucky to be attending WF. does anyone know when Adcom meet? I heard every 2 weeks, I would love feed back thank you

hi all I just had my interview on Tues OMG I love this school, I don't see myself anywhere else..... I have had 10 interviews and by far WF is the best. I sure hope I will join you next year. I already wrote them my letter of intent and my thank you notes... anything else?? your all so lucky to be attending WF. does anyone know when Adcom meet? I heard every 2 weeks, I would love feed back thank you
Everywhere I went people told me they "just knew" when they interviewed at the school that was perfect for them. I thought this was complete BS until my interview at Wake, which was somewhere around number 10. I can't really quantify it....I just felt like it's the right school for me, what more can I say >). Best of luck to you!

Everywhere I went people told me they "just knew" when they interviewed at the school that was perfect for them. I thought this was complete BS until my interview at Wake, which was somewhere around number 10. I can't really quantify it....I just felt like it's the right school for me, what more can I say >). Best of luck to you!

I understand exactly what you are saying. I had interviewed at about 5 other places and already had a few acceptances before my interview at Wake. I almost decided not to go, but it was a perfect fit for me and I can't really quantify it either.

so that email confirming receipt of our 100 dollars is the only mail we've gotten from wake so far, right??

just double checking my housemates haven't thrown anything away...

Does anyone know when the waitlist will start moving or when can people start getting off it? :rolleyes:

em. did you hear that you got in? I haven't heard anything< but I hope to hear any day now. I really want to go there. good luck to both of us

Hrrm, I forgot about that. I've been putting off my FAFSA....I might start working on them tonight :(.

This NeedAccess is murder! What gets me are all the estimated amounts- I haven't the faintest idea what my checking account balance is going to be 7 months from now!

Oh, and "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Student/Spouse's Other Assets." - "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do not include any amount of these investments held in retirement plans, such as pension funds, annuities, IRAs, Keogh accounts, etc., or property such as cars or boats.."

So they want me to list my assets, but nothing that I own.... It doesn't say what TO include, so I'm just putting a 0 for that one.

grr I got wait listed has anyone got rejected post interview ??? are we all wait listed???? I really want to go to WF :(

Question for current med students- when would you recommend we start seriously looking for housing/move to Winston-Salem? I thought I saw something about school/orientation starting at the end of July, can anyone confirm this?

Glad to hear some acceptances have arrived! I know you all are clicking "send/receive" every 5 minutes (at least I was). I'll try to answer a few questions that are still hanging:

- I recommend moving at least a couple of weeks before orientation. From my experience, you will not have extra time to unpack during this week. There are daily activities and nightly social events (very busy), and then school starts (very, very busy). End of July sounds about right for orientation.

- I think some people are rejected after interviewing, but most are waitlisted. Remember that WF is very selective BEFORE interviews, so you've got a 50% chance if you interviewed. I think it's reasonable to assume that most of the other 50% are waitlisted and then rejected (sorry).

- Financial aid process sucks. FYI - you have to reapply every year, so prepare for more suckiness.

- The waitlist is ALWAYS moving. From what I've heard, the WF waitlist is one of the most active, meaning that they accept a large portion of the class from this list. I don't mean to give false hope, but waitlisting is not the end of the world.

- I'm glad that many of you feel WF is "the place" for you; I felt that way too, and it was confirmed once I arrived. If you are mentally committed to WF and REALLY want to go here, let the office know. Write a letter to the dean expressing your interest and update them on any resume changes (eg - new grades, new activities, etc)

- Admission committee meetings are regular events. It's either every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks. They should have told you at your interview when the committee was meeting next. Then you'll receive an email with your decision and a letter a few days later.

- As for rent/buy/lease/beg/borrow/steal housing, there's a mix of everything. Make the decision based on your financial situation, study habits, proximity to school, and personal situation (family, yard, bathrooms, etc). The school hosts rental ads here: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/housing As I've mentioned before, my wife is a real estate agent. She's already showed some 2012ers around W-S and would be happy to help anyone looking for real estate in the area: www.lauriebeard.com

- Not sure about applying for FAFSA if you're on the waitlist. It probably wouldn't hurt.

- Financial aid offers come after you're accepted from the waitlist.

Best wishes!

1) How does the buying market look? My mom said that my dad is making some noise about investing in real estate again, so he may buy a house so I can pay him rent. (joy. at least I can paint.)

I'm not sure where you are now, but Winston is pretty stable. We didn't have the huge estate "boom" of the past 5 years, so we don't have the huge "bust" right now. My wife (the agent) says that the market is down slightly, but nothing like the national average. If you want more detailed info, see her website for contact info (www.lauriebeard.com). She'll be happy to answer general questions or talk details with you or your family. We own our house because we felt like a 4-year commitment was just enough to make a profit (or at least break even). If I stay for residency, it's even better.

2) Can you give me a thorough breakdown of the curriculum or point me in the direction of one? The other school I interviewed at gave me an explicit breakdown of everything they do. I'd like to have something to compare between the schools.

That's a huge question and I'm not sure I can answer it in this format without writing a dissertation. Here is the overview... Year 1 - basic science. Year 2 - organ based. Year 3 - clinical rotations. Year 4 - electives. The WF website actually has some good info: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/School/curriculum.htm The slideshow at the bottom has more details.

3) What's the strongest aspect of WF? (people don't count because they're fabulous!)

Appropriate knowledge. It may sound strange, but there are proper methods and times to learn certain concepts. Sure, clinical medicine sounds totally awesome! But are you really going to learn if you're put on the wards without proper context? At the same time, seeing your first patient during year 3 isn't right either. WF is perfect - no pressure patient contact year 1; light responsibilities year 2; clinical care years 3-4. Similarly, I think we have an appropriate balance of didactic (lectures) with PBL (problem-based learning). Too much of either leads to burn-out and frustration.

4) What's the weakest aspect of WF?

It's expensive. Period.

5) How do you feel only having one hospital for 3rd and 4th year?

First off, that's only partly true. All OB-GYN is done at Forsyth, which is down the road from WF. Secondly, WF works REALLY hard to get you an away rotation if you want it. So if you want to do your residency at a particular hospital, you can do an away rotation there. Overall, I think it's great to have all the resources available at WF. You don't have to worry about time away (esp. if you have a family / house / pet). You don't have to "relearn" everything every 2 months. If you travel, it's new floor plans, new staff, new peers, and most importantly new expectations. That way, you can focus more on learning medicine. It's also reassuring to be at a facility that offers every care available. If you want to do a particular specialty, it's here.

6) Do you like Winston-Salem? Are there cultural activities and good ethnic food?

That depends on your expectations. Winston is certainly not NY or DC. But it's not back-woods either. There's a strong arts community downtown and there are lots of local restaurants. The bar / club scene is so-so. Everything is convenient to your locale (grocery, pharm, gas less than 15 minutes).

7) What's the ratio of in-class time to out of class study time?

That depends on the year / subject. Anatomy requires a lot of class / lab time. During later subjects, many people rely on audio recordings. It's really hard to estimate, but I would GUESS 15-25 hrs/wk. Most days begin at 8 AM and there's at least 1 afternoon off per wk (often more).