Retail Internship: Fred Meyers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RXbeaver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there worked as an intern for Fred Meyers (Kroger)? I'd love to hear some feedback on everything from pay to management to work load. They gave me a very early deadline to respond, and I'd like to know what it's like to work there.

Also any experiences interning with ShopKo, Bi-mart, Safeway, or Costco would be appreciated; bonus points if it was in the Northwest ;).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was an intern at Fred Meyer (Olympia area) for almost 3 years. They started at 14/hr in the Seattle area for 1st years, and went up $1 each year you stayed on. or, they could hire you at $14+ your years of school completed if you had other experience that justifed it and your manager set it up that way. Rumor has it that OR is a little higher in general, but I'm not sure if that carries over to Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer does a good job of providing adequate staff. In that geographic area I'd recommend Fred Meyer or Safeway based on the experience of myself and people I know well. Shopko seems well liked up here, also. I'm not sure about the Vancouver/Portland specific chains. I would not recommend Rite Aid or Walgreens from a staffing standpoint. Albertsons (if you have them) is getting a reputation as one of the more stressful stores to work in, so I wouldn't recommend them either. They screwed with benefits big time after being bought by Sav-On. But, even those who came on after that seem to run like hell once they get out of their contract period. Costco pharmacists in this area generally complain about sheer Rx volume, but some stay because the hours are cushy and the wages are ok. I wouldn't assume they pay interns well - they were in my pharmacy once trying to hire our technicians off of us and offering about $4/hr lower than our starting wage. Bi-mart I know nothing about working for. I can't think of who else you might have down there but if you throw out some names I can give you an idea of the general company reputations and any particular reasons I have heard for people's likes and dislikes.

Fred Meyer/Kroger is supposedly about to launch Connexus, which is a really easy computer system to work with.

Is Leon the DM down there?

Fred Meyer is not bad to work for. The pay is between 20-24 per hour as an intern in Oregon. The only place that pays more is Kaiser, but they are harder to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an intern at Fred Meyer (Olympia area) for almost 3 years. They started at 14/hr in the Seattle area for 1st years, and went up $1 each year you stayed on. or, they could hire you at $14+ your years of school completed if you had other experience that justifed it and your manager set it up that way. Rumor has it that OR is a little higher in general, but I'm not sure if that carries over to Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer does a good job of providing adequate staff. In that geographic area I'd recommend Fred Meyer or Safeway based on the experience of myself and people I know well. Shopko seems well liked up here, also. I'm not sure about the Vancouver/Portland specific chains. I would not recommend Rite Aid or Walgreens from a staffing standpoint. Albertsons (if you have them) is getting a reputation as one of the more stressful stores to work in, so I wouldn't recommend them either. They screwed with benefits big time after being bought by Sav-On. But, even those who came on after that seem to run like hell once they get out of their contract period. Costco pharmacists in this area generally complain about sheer Rx volume, but some stay because the hours are cushy and the wages are ok. I wouldn't assume they pay interns well - they were in my pharmacy once trying to hire our technicians off of us and offering about $4/hr lower than our starting wage. Bi-mart I know nothing about working for. I can't think of who else you might have down there but if you throw out some names I can give you an idea of the general company reputations and any particular reasons I have heard for people's likes and dislikes.

Fred Meyer/Kroger is supposedly about to launch Connexus, which is a really easy computer system to work with.

Is Leon the DM down there?

Thanks for all the great info! That DM isn't the one I spoke with, but does sound familiar. Do you think its possible to ask for more time to make a decision without sounding flakey or wishy-washy? My dilemma is that they want a response before I will most likely have heard back from anyone else...

Thanks for all the great info! That DM isn't the one I spoke with, but does sound familiar. Do you think its possible to ask for more time to make a decision without sounding flakey or wishy-washy? My dilemma is that they want a response before I will most likely have heard back from anyone else...
You could delay, but not for terribly long. "I'm waiting to hear from other companies." would probably not go over well. Are you waiting on salary info? You could probably get that by asking classmates or upperclassmen.

I would take the fred meyer internship if I were you. It can be fairly busy, but it is not bad. The best internship program overall is probably Albertsons, but the pay is quite a bit less as well.