Retail vs WFH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rickyroxy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you choose? 24 hr/week retail floater chill job with benefits vs contract job with no benefits WFH, potential to leave retail forever.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's the pay? At only 24 hours/week I think I'd avoid the retail gig

With just the information presented I’d pick wfh. But I need more info.

For what it’s worth and this will reveal my bias, I work from home, perm role and I make more than retail so yeah…

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay is not comparable to retail. low 50s. I know its now a lot of info and lot depends on individual situation. But just wanted to see if anyone else took leap of faith to unknown and turned out ok. I am ok with pay since its a contract job. Also I am not new grad. Been in business for a while and have some savings to survive. I guess one of the unknown is whether I would like M-F job vs having days off in middle of week since that is what I am used to so far. Second concern is if contract does not continue and If I can't go back to 'cushy' retail job, I am screwed both ways.

What's the pay? At only 24 hours/week I think I'd avoid the retail gig
Only 24 hours a week? That's plenty for working retail. The job is way too stressful to do it for long periods at 40 hours/week.

WFH sounds nice, but from what I’ve heard, there‘s a significant difference in pay. For the time being, I’m grinding out with retail, working on paying off debt. Might be interested in working less retail in the future and possibly supplementing with WFH

I don’t know I think a lot depends on preference in lifestyle…I think any kind of floater position sounds pretty good awful (just can’t stand being thrown around different locations so much - bias from how many different places I’ve lived/moved to early in life)

Pay is not comparable to retail. low 50s. I know its now a lot of info and lot depends on individual situation. But just wanted to see if anyone else took leap of faith to unknown and turned out ok. I am ok with pay since its a contract job. Also I am not new grad. Been in business for a while and have some savings to survive. I guess one of the unknown is whether I would like M-F job vs having days off in middle of week since that is what I am used to so far. Second concern is if contract does not continue and If I can't go back to 'cushy' retail job, I am screwed both ways.
That’s not terribly low. I once interviewed for a wfh position where they didn’t tell me pay until the interview. 46 an hour. I laughed during the interview. For some reason they still tried to offer me the job.

For what it’s worth I’m getting retail manager money and I’ve only been at this two years. What’s wrong with grinding out the contract and keeping the retail job only to the weekend until you see how it works out?

I went WFH in 2011 and will never go back to retail. Yeah my pay is a bit low in the mid 50s, but the improved quality of life is priceless. I paid off my student loans and mortgage a long time ago anyway, and I can always do OT if I want to make some extra cash for pretty low effort.

Regarding a contract job, yes I would have concerns over what happens afterwards. But I also think that retail is desperate for pharmacists right now, so they should take you back if you needed to. Or, it should be very easy for you to get a job at any of the other chains.

Reactions: 1 users
What would you choose? 24 hr/week retail floater chill job with benefits vs contract job with no benefits WFH, potential to leave retail forever.
Go with WFH. I left Walgreens after slightly more than 9 years earlier this year and have been working as a consultation pharmacist on the phones for just over half a year so far . The difference is night and day between my current role and retail . I’d say my position is one of the “unicorn “ or “cushy” positions people talk about . Never work on Sundays , only work 2 Saturdays a month and never more than 8 hours . You get two 15-minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch . During my lunch I choose to take a shower , eat, lay down in bed , etc . Virtually no stress . Yes, you have some metrics that evaluate the quality of the calls you take /how you interact with the patient etc but it’s only 3 or 4 calls a month that are evaluated out of perhaps 1,500-2,000 calls you take a month . Pay is slightly less , around 10% lower than retail but you truly don’t feel it . Patients may call you with questions about side effects of a certain medicine , drug interactions , a package of lantus insulin did not arrive cold and was room temperature and caller maybe wondering if they can still use it or if a replacement is warranted . Another call maybe about a person who can only take a specific manufacturer of adderall or only brand name synthroid due to a medical reason etc . People may call inquiring about a recall they hard about (last one being with quinapril/HCTZ. It’s really a nice job and pretty easy . The challenge is learning the multiple systems /software the company uses because it’s not exactly user friendly like intercom plus at Walgreens so it takes time to learn . I’m at just over 6 months and still learning things though by now I have enough competence with the systems that I am efficient and take anywhere from 75-90 calls per day . Don’t think twice - go with WFH. The only thing I miss about retail is the social camaraderie - there is no social component in WFH and you are isolated . I knew many people in retail , techs, pharmacists, and other employees and now I have 0 interaction with anybody . I realized after leaving WAGS months ago that over time you lose touch with your former colleagues and it’s sad , but still beats retail hands down .

Reactions: 2 users
Go with WFH. I left Walgreens after slightly more than 9 years earlier this year and have been working as a consultation pharmacist on the phones for just over half a year so far . The difference is night and day between my current role and retail . I’d say my position is one of the “unicorn “ or “cushy” positions people talk about . Never work on Sundays , only work 2 Saturdays a month and never more than 8 hours . You get two 15-minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch . During my lunch I choose to take a shower , eat, lay down in bed , etc . Virtually no stress . Yes, you have some metrics that evaluate the quality of the calls you take /how you interact with the patient etc but it’s only 3 or 4 calls a month that are evaluated out of perhaps 1,500-2,000 calls you take a month . Pay is slightly less , around 10% lower than retail but you truly don’t feel it . Patients may call you with questions about side effects of a certain medicine , drug interactions , a package of lantus insulin did not arrive cold and was room temperature and caller maybe wondering if they can still use it or if a replacement is warranted . Another call maybe about a person who can only take a specific manufacturer of adderall or only brand name synthroid due to a medical reason etc . People may call inquiring about a recall they hard about (last one being with quinapril/HCTZ. It’s really a nice job and pretty easy . The challenge is learning the multiple systems /software the company uses because it’s not exactly user friendly like intercom plus at Walgreens so it takes time to learn . I’m at just over 6 months and still learning things though by now I have enough competence with the systems that I am efficient and take anywhere from 75-90 calls per day . Don’t think twice - go with WFH. The only thing I miss about retail is the social camaraderie - there is no social component in WFH and you are isolated . I knew many people in retail , techs, pharmacists, and other employees and now I have 0 interaction with anybody . I realized after leaving WAGS months ago that over time you lose touch with your former colleagues and it’s sad , but still beats retail hands down .

Is there any difficulty turning off work mode after your shift? WFH would be a dream job for me (suits my personality perfectly) - but I always was a bit worried I couldn't fully enjoy my home/leisure time after the shift; subconsciously still feeling like I'm at work.

I'm guessing having a room/space entirely dedicated to work - is partly a solution. But since you're still confined to your house for prolonged period of time, perhaps you still don't feel like you can let loose 100%

Only 24 hours a week? That's plenty for working retail. The job is way too stressful to do it for long periods at 40 hours/week.
24 hours a week would be awesome but I wouldn't be ok with the salary

Is there any difficulty turning off work mode after your shift? WFH would be a dream job for me (suits my personality perfectly) - but I always was a bit worried I couldn't fully enjoy my home/leisure time after the shift; subconsciously still feeling like I'm at work.

I'm guessing having a room/space entirely dedicated to work - is partly a solution. But since you're still confined to your house for prolonged period of time, perhaps you still don't feel like you can let loose 100%
I personally don’t have an issue. I have a home office and just close the door. Wife works from home, having lunch and dinner together has been great for our relationship. Walks and exercise during lunch has also helped my health.

Eliminating the commute has also enabled us to work out together. The peace of mind is great. I had similar concerns, all disappeared within a couple of months. I also don’t have to care about the weather and it’s impact on a commute.

I personally don’t have an issue. I have a home office and just close the door. Wife works from home, having lunch and dinner together has been great for our relationship. Walks and exercise during lunch has also helped my health.

Eliminating the commute has also enabled us to work out together. The peace of mind is great. I had similar concerns, all disappeared within a couple of months. I also don’t have to care about the weather and it’s impact on a commute.

Agreed, not having to commute or “dress up” for work; gifts you so much more valuable time during your day.

I think I’m convinced ! I work for the VA and will look to see if there are any VISN telework available. Maybe @lord999 has input !

Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly, I had more trouble disconnecting from work when I used to work in retail, because of the PTSD from getting yelled at by angry customers, being overworked and never caught up, etc. Now with WFH, once I log off from my computer, I'm done and don't think about work at all. Plus you get so much time back by not having to commute, leaving a buffer for bad traffic, getting dressed, serving that one last customer after closing, etc. And I find that I enjoy my home even more now since I'm making my lunches in my own kitchen, and taking my breaks on my own couch or whatever.

Reactions: 3 users
I did get a glimpse of it during first week of training. On first day of training, it felt weird not to dress up, I still ended up putting on decent formal cloths because we had Teams meeting on webcam. Remaining 4 days, shorts and t-shirt. I have set up desk next to upstairs window. Get to see all day pass by was good feeling. Two 15 min breaks also comes handy for much needed coffee break in evening. Same about lunch since wife works from home too, get to eat together. Also had to adjust not to rush thru lunch in 30 min. exact. I could have snack in between. Get to spend more time with kids in evening. Current retail job is not bad as far as volume and responsibilities wise but you do get tired coming back at 9. Mostly standing all day/partially sitting on stool vs sitting on chair all day. I guess my back will need to adjust too. I might need recommendations on best chair out there.!

Doesn't contract mean temporary? I guess nothing is permanent these days but I'm not in the position to give up job security and benefits. If you can go on your spouse's health plan then maybe, but you still give up 401k, HSA PTO etc.

Last edited:
Doesn't contract mean temporary? I guess nothing is temporary these days but I'm not in the position to give up job security and benefits. If you can go on your spouse's health plan then maybe, but you still give up 401k, HSA PTO etc.
That is the dilemma and reason behind post.

Agreed, not having to commute or “dress up” for work; gifts you so much more valuable time during your day.

I think I’m convinced ! I work for the VA and will look to see if there are any VISN telework available. Maybe @lord999 has input !
Not right now. You should be aware that in a new fiscal year (Starts Oct 1st), Office of Budget and the Financial Services Center NEVER fully funds any VHA site. Only continuation funds are given while VHACO and VACO fight over appropriations internally. Outside of essential operational positions (which for a VISN, are the mandatory and not consultative ones), no hiring is to be done as budgets are flat from continuation. Any hiring done takes place in 2nd quarter (January) or later when the VISNs get funded and the 1st quarter resource meetings are done.

The one exception to this rule right now, you don't work to work for them as telework, which is OEHRM.

And if you're VISN 22, this is a reminder that PBM Operations run out of Phoenix (Williams AFB), not CA. SDC for the western part of the VISN gets too many hires for 22, so the balance of positions will go to Phoenix until a balance is achieved between the two Deputy Network Directors over the older VISN 22 and 18. Finally, the Deputy Network Director of the eastern part was once a Clinical Coordinator before doing LDA, and she's well-known to favor Phoenix given her background.

Good luck, unless you are in a VISN that is starting up a telework network it's almost impossible since they only hire VISN internal and also applicants that live within 30-50 miles incase there are network disruptions or tech difficulties which are rampant in the VHA they will call the staff GS 12's to work at the nearest VAMC of the call center. So good luck but be very aware of what you are signing up for since the VISN call centers are not really as what teleworking seems to be in non-govt facilities. Essentially you better have some good amount of leave saved up when there are network outages etc.....so you can still tele-leave

Good luck, unless you are in a VISN that is starting up a telework network it's almost impossible since they only hire VISN internal and also applicants that live within 30-50 miles incase there are network disruptions or tech difficulties which are rampant in the VHA they will call the staff GS 12's to work at the nearest VAMC of the call center. So good luck but be very aware of what you are signing up for since the VISN call centers are not really as what teleworking seems to be in non-govt facilities. Essentially you better have some good amount of leave saved up when there are network outages etc.....so you can still tele-leave

Please elaborate "VISN call centers are not really as what teleworking seems to be in non-govt facilities. Essentially you better have some good amount of leave saved up when there are network outages etc.....so you can still tele-leave."

Is the job not as comfy as the typical WFH job?

With just the information presented I’d pick wfh. But I need more info.

For what it’s worth and this will reveal my bias, I work from home, perm role and I make more than retail so yeah…
What type of work do you do?

What type of work do you do?
Working in the PBM game doing PAs. I honestly think this role is ripe for automation, so ideally I’d like to move up to something else. But I started my career working from home doing MTMs.

Working in the PBM game doing PAs. I honestly think this role is ripe for automation, so ideally I’d like to move up to something else. But I started my career working from home doing MTMs.
Nice! It’s so hard to find such unicorn positions though!

Nice! It’s so hard to find such unicorn positions though!

I actually transitioned from retail to my first wfh job during the pandemic. These roles were briefly easier to get into at the time. I took advantage of the situation. For what it’s worth I started off as a contractor.

Was it easier to get Perm job from contract? Is it same company for MTM and PA? I am doing PAs too but its contract.

Was it easier to get Perm job from contract? Is it same company for MTM and PA? I am doing PAs too but its contract.
When I was doing my mtm contract, it was fairly straightforward since I performed at their expectations. I went from permanent mtm to permanent PA gig.