** Cost of Living ** Lets get all Schools **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgfuad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now considering cost of living in my choice for school. So i was wondering if current students could post their residential status. I hope there is not another thread like this... but i bet there is.

1. What school do you attend?

2. What part of the city do you live?

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities?

4. How many bedrooms/baths?

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate?

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)?

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)?

8. Anything else we should know?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------52
Dental Schools in the United States:

AL: University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB
AZ: A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
AZ: Midwestern University School of Dental Medicine
CA: Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry
CA: University of Southern California School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry
CA: University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
CO: University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
CT: University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine
DC: Howard University College of Dentistry
FL: Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
FL: University of Florida College of Dentistry
GA: Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry
IA: University of Iowa College of Dentistry
IL: Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
IL: University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
IN: Indiana University School of Dentistry
KY: University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry
LA: Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
MA: Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine (Post 1)
MA: Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine (Post 2)
MA: Harvard University School of Dental Medicine
MA: Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
MD: University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery
MI: University of Michigan School of Dentistry
MI: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
MN: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
MO: University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry
MS: University of Mississippi School of Dentistry
NC: University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
NE: University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
NE: Creighton University School of Dentistry
NJ: University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Dental School
NV: University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
NY: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
NY: Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
NY: New York University College of Dentistry (Post 1)
NY: New York University College of Dentistry (Post 2)
NY: State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine
OH: Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
OH: Ohio State University College of Dentistry
OK: University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry
OR: Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry
PA: Temple University School of Dentistry
PA: University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
PA: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
PR: University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry
SC: Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
TN: University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
TN: Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
TX: Baylor College of Dentistry Component of Texas A & M Health Science Center
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-Houston Dental Branch
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-San Antonio Dental School
VA: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
WA: University of Washington-Health Sciences School of Dentistry
WI: Marquette University School of Dentistry
WV: West Virginia University School of Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
University of Maryland

West of MLK... outskirts of downtown

$850/month + ~$100 utilities/cable/internet

3 BR/2BA

Have 2 roommates (one of the guys owns the place)

Yes, my place is safe. It is "West of MLK" which is traditionally the not so nice part of Baltimore, but the pocket I live in is full of rehabs and is on the upswing.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)?
10 minute walk

There are an abundance of places for students to live in Baltimore city, and families to live in the suburbs (towson, owings mills, glen burnie). Expect to pay rent between $700-$900/month to share a nicer apartment or rowhome. If you want a 1 BR it will be $1000+/month.

jb!:)

Is the dental school at the same campus with the green line metro stop JB?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the dental school at the same campus with the green line metro stop JB?

Green line metro stop? I don't think we have a green line metro stop in baltimore... We only have one subway line throughout the city.

jb!:)

I don't think we have a green line metro stop in baltimore... We only have one subway line throughout the city.

jb!

Ah okay, I remember visiting DC and seeing that the DC metro had a stop at U of Maryland, must have been a different campus.

Ah okay, I remember visiting DC and seeing that the DC metro had a stop at U of Maryland, must have been a different campus.

Yeah, that's the undergrad campus in college park. The MARC train connects DC to Baltimore, however.

any temple, nova, or USC?

You do realize that responses are going to vary depending on how much people are willing to spend. Some people are willing to spend the money to get a luxury apartment which may skew your costs of living data a little bit. If you want to factor in your costs of living into your decision, then find out from the financial aid office, how much they are willing to allocate to you (in loans) to pay for your costs of living).

You do realize that responses are going to vary depending on how much people are willing to spend. Some people are willing to spend the money to get a luxury apartment which may skew your costs of living data a little bit. If you want to factor in your costs of living into your decision, then find out from the financial aid office, how much they are willing to allocate to you (in loans) to pay for your costs of living).

I do realize, but if someone pays 1300 for luxury apartment, then you can only assume a not as nice place should be under 1300 assuming its not next to campus. Its still valuable data.

Pacific

Pacific Heights, 1 block from school

1700 for everything (850/person)

2br/1ba

Roommate

Yes, but as DJeff said above SF is a crazy place.

Like a minute.

My apartment is small and has no dishwasher and the guy who lives above me plays golden oldies at full blast every friday night.

I do realize, but if someone pays 1300 for luxury apartment, then you can only assume a not as nice place should be under 1300 assuming its not next to campus. Its still valuable data.

2nd that. This thread is useful. Keep it going please! Anyone from NYU?

OHSU

On the hill next to the school

512 rent +50 for utilties

2 bed 2.5 bath has laundary

roommate

About as safe as you could expect for a big city. I have not had any problems yet. There is a registered offender living the general area. not sure exactly where. I have never seen him.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 3 minutes for campus 10 from the dental school. It takes a lot of stairs for me to get back and forth.

Definately live on the hill if you go here. commuting otherwise is costly and time consuming.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump for USC NOVA TEMPLE?

Creighton University

South Omaha

I live in Village Green Townhomes which is a special gov. coop full young families in professional school. I purchases the unit for 25K and pay about $280 each month for a assosiation fee.

2beds/2baths

My wife and daughter

Very safe neighborhood

5 minute commute-no traffic-good parking at school

This is a great place to live. Great support group for spouses. Lots of get togethers, parks, activities, and pretty nice units too! Omaha is a really nice city to live in. (Besides those dad-gum ice storms)

I am currently researching the cost of living (specifically rent) in some areas and was surprised that to rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath house/apartment was comparable to Phoenix (where I live). I have heard people talk about the cheap cost of living in Buffalo and during the interviews the students confirmed this, but in my online searches I can't find a decent place that is significantly cheaper.
Anybody from Buffalo want to chime in and talk about current cost of living?

NYU

Stuyvesant Town thru NYU housing (one of the dorm options)

It's a dorm... but I think it comes out to somewhere aroung $1300/mo all inclusive

2br/1ba very nice (marble bath, wood floors)

Private room, one roommate

I feel very safe. Stuy town is like a town within Manhattan and it's mostly students, professionals, and families all around.

10 minute walk

It's much more expensive to live in Stuy town when you're not doing it through the school and NYU only offers dorms to freshmen. If you don't mind a 30-60 minute commute (from Jersey or Brooklyn) you can save a lot of housing.

*****NOTE: I am married with 2 kids, this factors in a lot differently than you single peeps*****
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY KORNBERG SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY

Roxborough

The range in the area is 1100-1500

2/2

I have a wife and two boys age 4 and 2.5

I left my front door wide open for 6 hours once...when I came home I thought I was robbed...nope it sat untouched for 6 hours. Oops! Safe.

Carpool with classmates, 20 minutes, split parking and gas ~180

Take it like a man, thousands of dentists pay off their bills every year, you will too!

The University of Iowa College of Dentistry

Just off the west side of campus.

$350/person for rent and all utilities except TV and mobile phone.

2 Bedroom 1 Bath, approximately 1000 square feet

1 Roommate

Very safe and nice. Men and women go out running at all hours. People walk home after bar close. Probably one of the safer areas someone could attend dental school. I've never felt unsafe at any time.

Less than a mile, 15 minute walk, 5-10 minute bike ride

Iowa City is amazing. Safe, clean, affordable, and a lot of night life. Great downtown with many bars, restaurants, small shops, and businesses. Large/nice mall. Parking is not very good here, though. Big-10 Sports!!!

USC School of Dentistry

Downtown L.A.

$887.50

940 sq. ft. loft

Live with my girlfriend

I live in the South Park district of downtown L.A. This part of L.A. has been at the forefront of the downtown L.A. re-vitalization movement. It's safe, but it's not the suburbs. :laugh:

1.1 miles from campus. 10 min. bus ride or 15 min. car ride.

Downtown L.A. is making great strides to re-invent itself. It should only get better with time. If you are thinking of attending SC, I would suggest that you take a trip downtown and check out some of the lofts L.A. has to offer.

1. What school do you attend? Detroit Mercy

2. What part of the city do you live? Dearborn

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? I bought a house, so my mortgage is $1100/month and around $300/month to cover all utilities and household costs (cleaning products, toilet paper, etc.) But my roommate pays half of all costs.

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 4 bedroom/1 bath. 1800 square feet with a finished basement, full garage, and nice yard

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? I have 1 roommate

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? It is very safe. It is a WASP all-American type neighborhood with a middle school nearby. So sometimes all of the lawnmowing, backyard BBQs, and children playing is a bit much for me when I am trying to study.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 15-20 Minutes to the old school, which is irrelevent now. I think it will be about 10 to the new school, but not for sure

8. Anything else we should know? It is Detroit so BUY BUY BUY!!! You can pick up a sweet house for not that much money. I have friends who rent and spend way more than I do, yet they have nothing to show for it. Don't waste your money on renting. The house next door to me is for sale for $45,000 and it is very nice (it was foreclosed). DON'T live in Royal Oak. It used to be the place to live, so many of the current dental students live there, but now it is WAY too far to the new school from Royal Oak.

Boston University

South End, same neighborhood as the school

$750 (rent) + around $100 (utilities)
I only pay that because I room with 2 others, rent in Boston is really expensive!

3 bedroom, 1 bathroom apt

Yeah, I have 2 roomies, each one of us pay $750

Somewhat, the South End is a good neighborhood, its just that Roxbury (a really bad one) starts literally on the other side of Mass Ave, 2 blocks from my place

walking distance, maybe 5-10min walk, I love that about where I live, especially during the winter

Yeah, after being in d-school for 3 1/2 years, I honestly recommend to go to the cheapest school you get in

1. What school do you attend? Tufts University School of Dental Medicine

2. What part of the city do you live? Chinatown in Boston (right by school)

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? Approx. 1100 (rent, electric, internet)

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 1+1 (very lucky to be paying this cheap)

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? live by myself

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? decent for Chinatown (I feel safe living here).

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 5 minute walk to school

8. Anything else we should know? As a student, owning your own car is impractical unless you live outside of downtown. Rent is expensive in downtown and gets progressively cheaper the further away you live. Tuition is a killer but as long as I get my degree ;). I'm happy with my choice overall. The experience here, thus far, has been great! :)

Boston University

Back Bay, it's considered to be one of the nicest parts of Boston but you pay for it.

I pay $1500 (my share of rent) per month on rent (utils included) and $100 for a internet + TV package from Comcast. Total rent is $2995 per month for my 2 BR apt

It's a 2BR/2Bath apartment in a 26 floor highrise. About 1200 sq ft.

1 Roommate.

Yes, I live in a controlled access apartment building with 24 hour security and concierge.

I'm about a mile away from campus. Walking takes about 15 minutes, but I usually take the bus which takes about the same time and I get to read the daily news.

Tuition sucks but I might as well live nice.

Great thread.

Any Texas folks? Please.

1. What school do you attend? UTHSCSA

2. What part of the city do you live? Near the medical center... the school is not located downtown, so it is in an overall nice area. Lots of restaurants, movie theaters, shopping, etc.

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? I pay $715 on rent and about $100 on cable/electricity. There are places cheaper, and some that are more expensive. It just depends on where you want to live (i.e. close to the school, away from the medical center, an older vs. newer apartment complex, if you want to rent a home, etc.) There are plenty of people in my class who live in apartments (with and without roommates), some are renting homes, some bought condos, etc. I want to say the rent around the medical center area can range anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on size of apartment and age of the apartment complex.

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 1BR/1BA, 700 square feet

5. Do you share a room or have a roommate? Live by myself

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? Yes

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? I commute by car... I am 10 minutes away without traffic, so I normally leave by 7:15 every morning, get to school, study, etc. If I leave campus right around 5pm, it can take as long as 20-25 minutes to get home, so typically I will stay on campus and study some. There are also nice places within walking distance of the school that many of the dental, dental hygiene, medical, PT, nursing students, etc. live at.

8. Anything else we should know? Housing is not a problem to find in San Antonio no matter what your price range. There are so many apartments, and new ones going up all the time. Traffic really isn't that bad either, at least compared to most cities. There is a Starbucks right in the medical center that many of us walk to when we have a break in the day. It really is convenient with all the studying you will be doing.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

1. What school do you attend? Pitt

2. What part of the city do you live? North Oakland

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? it's about $600 when i include internet and cable

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 2 bedroom/1 bath

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? 1 roommate, each with own room

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? yes, it's pretty nice and relatively safe.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? about a 15 minute walk (1.25 mile) and a 5 minute bus ride

8. Anything else we should know? possible to live in south oakland for as low as $250+utilities, but the area is a little iffy and the houses are kind of rundown. people also live in shadyside/squirrel hill which is nice and expensive.

Would an internet search on apartments or rent.com give everybody more useful information. It sometimes come with nice pictures :D of where you could live.

Can we get some people from Marquette to put their info here?

1. What school do you attend? NYU with MackChops:love:

2. What part of the city do you live? Gramercy

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $2000+utilities,cable,net=$2200

4. How many bedrooms/baths? studio

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? no and no

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? yes. 24 hr doorman/security/controlled access+swipe cards

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 3 1/2 minutes. one avenue up,one street over

8. Anything else we should know? ummm..NYC is mad expensive. but our school is really pretty.if you live with people,it gets more affordabe, but i have classmates living in 1BR converts with roomates that still pay around 1600-1700. If you dont mind living in another borough or further uptown or crosstown it gets cheaper.

Since no current students have replied and I am recently graduated, I'll give it a shot...

1. What school do you attend? Kentucky

2. What part of the city do you live? Lived in three different areas while in school
-Downtown-South Hill Station-beautiful loft right next to school
-South Side-Park Place Apartments-good mix of people, sweet amenities, nice front office staff
-North Side-Masterson Station housing edition-quiet neighborhood, good place to live if you have a family

-Downtown-$760 for rent (cable internet/water included), $70/month electric
-South-$700 for rent + $80/month utilities + $50/month internet
-North-$325 for rent + ~$100/month utilities (included cable tv/internet)

-D-1B/1B
-S-1B/1B
-N-3B/2 1/2 B

-D-Solo
-S-Solo
-N-roommate who owned the house (I think the house cost ~120,000)

All yes, overall I felt safe, but I never lived in the ghetto. When I lived downtown, we had swipe cards to get in.

-D-10 minute walk
-S-5-10 minute drive
-N-15 minute drive

There are plenty of affordable options in Lex if you want to buy or rent. The cost of living is among the lowest in the region. Obviously, I paid a little more by living alone. I was satisfied with all three of the places I stayed. Forewarning about the lofts: if you have sensitive ears, this may not be your place. The walls are super-thin and you can literally hear muffled conversations from next door if your place is quiet. I didn't mind so much, but I like a little noise.

Feel free to PM me if anyone would like more details about these places...

***I am married with 2 kids, so take that into consideration.***

1. What school do you attend? Case Western Reserve University

2. What part of the city do you live? Cleveland Heights

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $730 rent, utilities vary, 25 phone/internet, 50-100 electric, 20-300 gas (cold-a$$ winters here)

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 3 bedrooms, 1 bath

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? Wife & my 2 boys ages 2.5 and 2months

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? I have never felt threatened at all. I don't feel like I have to lock my doors (but I do because I'm a paranoid freak). I love where I live, but there are many options around here good for both families and singles.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 10 minute walk.

8. Anything else we should know? Like I said, there are many great options for housing. On-campus is only for undergrads so that is not an option. A lot of students live in Little Italy which is a fun little village a block away from the dental school. Some students have purchased homes, although a few who graduated in May are still trying to sell, so buy cautiously. I would avoid anything that is a "Cleveland" address (other than Little Italy or the Triangle apartments by the school). Many students live in Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, and other surrounding towns (avoid the town of East Cleveland). If anyone wants more info, feel free to PM me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bump this post... I would like to hear from UCSF students, thanks in advance.

Any info on buffalo.

1. What school do you attend? U of M

2. What part of the city do you live? central campus, close to downtown

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $1050 + electricity + $100 parking

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 1 bd/1 bath

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? No

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? Yes, very nice

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 5 min. walk, 2 min. by bus

8. Anything else we should know? 24 hours security and camera in use

UCSF

Inner Sunset

1100 + utilities + internet = 1150

studio

roommate
no

yes, the area is safe. ucsf is in the inner sunset.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 3 minutes for campus 10 from the dental school. It takes a lot of stairs for me to get back and forth.
7 - 10 minute walk

i highly suggest living within walking distance of school