** Cost of Living ** Lets get all Schools **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. What school do you attend?

University of Missouri- Kansas City (UMKC)

2. What part of the city do you live?

Downtown City Market

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities?

$425 Rent + $60-70 utilities

4. How many bedrooms/baths?

2 BR/ 2 Bath

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate?

Roommate

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)?

For the most part

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)?

about 3.5 miles from campus, about 10 min. in rush hour

8. Anything else we should know?
Surrounded by good restaurants, concerts, 24hr. gym

Members don't see this ad :)
UMKC SOD

North of the River in Kansas City

Rent=750, Water and Sewer~20, Timer Warner Cable/wireless highspeed internet~75, Electric~averages around 60

2 bedrooms/2 bath, all bedrooms have walk-in closets, full size washer and dryer are included in every place

with my spouse :)

Really great and extremely quite, hardly even know we have neighbors around. Never heard of any problems at the complex.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)?
10-15 minutes by car. You can expect 20-25 minutes during most days in rush hour.

PM me for more info. The place I live is called Falcon Falls apartments. www.falconfalls.com. They have 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, which is where I live. They also have 3 bedroom townhomes, villas, and houses to rent - these look really nice if you have someone you want to share a place with. The staff is excellent and the amenities are pretty good. I visited probably 30 apartments in the KC area and felt that these were the best for the price. I love the location, it's very close to shopping, groceries and restaurants. Quite a few people in the dental school choose to live North of the river, so it's great for study groups and getting together with friends.

1. What school do you attend? NYU with MackChops:love:

2. What part of the city do you live? Gramercy

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $2000+utilities,cable,net=$2200

4. How many bedrooms/baths? studio

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? no and no

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? yes. 24 hr doorman/security/controlled access+swipe cards

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 3 1/2 minutes. one avenue up,one street over

8. Anything else we should know? ummm..NYC is mad expensive. but our school is really pretty.if you live with people,it gets more affordabe, but i have classmates living in 1BR converts with roomates that still pay around 1600-1700. If you dont mind living in another borough or further uptown or crosstown it gets cheaper.

hey can you clear your PM box.. haha i have some questions for you.. I want a place just like yours..

University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-Houston Dental Branch

University Housing

$830 w/ free utilities not including phone and elec.

3/2

family of four

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe
University Housing is safe but neighborhood is not that great

10-15 min.

I love it here

. What school do you attend?
Boston University

Seaport - South Boston

$1950 for 900 sq ft (new construction) apartment complex
$100.00 phone, cable, internet
$100.00 gas, electric, water, etc...
But i have a controlled acces apartment and gym w/ a washer and dryer (these are hard to come by in Boston)

1/1

My wife and dog

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe
Very safe area...Massport, State, and Local police coverage...safest neighborhood in Boston

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does Car: 5-10min
Walk: 30 min
Bike: 15 min
Subway: 20-50 minutes (depends on many factors)

I second.....Go to the cheapest school u can get into!!!

1. What school do you attend? Loma Linda University

2. What part of the city do you live? I know of 4 regions of Loma Linda: The area around the university, the area south of Barton Road, the area north of Barton road (east of campus), and east Loma Linda. I live south of Barton.

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $1750 plus all utilities, probably $2250.

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 3 br + office/ 3 full ba.

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate?I have a roommate, she's my wife :) We also have 3 kids.

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? Yes, except for the occasional coyotes that roam around at night. There are hills in the southern area of LL, and there's plenty of coyotes around there and in the region in general.

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? I don't know exactly how far I am from campus, but I would estimate like 3 miles. It would take less than 10 minutes to drive (city streets, but the speed limit is pretty high).

8. Anything else we should know? If you're going to LLU and looking for a place to live, the first place to check would be the Loma Linda Trading Post (www.llu.edu/news/tp). Lots of rooms, apartments and houses listed for rent. The newer houses are on the eastern side of Loma Linda, and probably the worst area to live would be the area north of Barton, west of Mountain View. The best area is probably south of Barton.

If you're single and don't care, there are plenty of convenient and cheap places to rent.

Best school in the country, and in SF.

UCSF Parnassus

5bd, 2ba

Private bedroom in a group house.

Absolutely. It's very clean, very quiet, and safe.

I leave the house, cross the street, enter the dental clinics.

$5 footlongs at the Subway next door rox my sox. The Golden Gate Park's 2 blocks away. My living cost in SF now's lower than that of the east coast, without trying. Walking up hills sux.

1. What school do you attend? UAB

2. What part of the city do you live? Downtown, Highland Park

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $692 + power and cable/internet

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 2BR 1BA

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? Wife and daughter

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? Yes, both men and women run and walk their dogs at night all the time

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 20 minute walk (closest parking is 10+ minute walk for freshmen and sophomores)

Birmingham is a great city and the perfect size imo.

1. What school do you attend? IU

2. What part of the city do you live? West side -The speedway

3. How much do you pay a month + utilities? $530 + the utilities

4. How many bedrooms/baths? 1 bedroom/1 bath

5. Do you share a room or have a roomate? No, just me

6. Is your housing/neighborhood nice/safe (yes this is relative)? i'll rate it 8 out of 10. It is safe but the apartment complex is pretty old. Neighbors are pretty quiet, except the bumping on the wall on weekends (usually Saturday nights, between 1-5am!!!). I learned to ignore it! :sleep:

7. How far away are you from campus and how long does it take you to commute and by what (car, walk, bike, bus)? 5 miles away. It takes me 10 minutes to get to school. :thumbup:

8. Anything else we should know? People here ( in Indianapolis) don't use their facial muscles much! Yet to see someone outside the school with smile on their faces!!! I mean, not everybody can be depressed here...can they? :eek:

UNC
Campus Housing for Families
814 (with all utilities, broadband internet, and cable)
1/1
Wife
Yes/Very.
10 minute walk to SOD

Its awesome.

UConn

Farmington (10 minutes outside of Hartford)

$500. $400 for rent (heat, water, cable, internet, washer and dryer included). We cover electricity and cooling which I budget $100 for.

4 bedrooms, 2 baths.

I have 3 other roommates

Very safe. Its in a very good area in Connecticut and mostly Medical and Dental students live here. The complex is very quiet and spacious.

I live practically across the street from the Health Center so its about a 10-15 minute walk, 5 min bike ride, and 3-5 min drive (traffic and stop lights can make it 10-15 though at times)

UConn is in close proximity to Boston and NYC (within 2 hours) and is very close to the Mountains for skiing/snowboarding and the ocean for sailing, fishing/wake-boarding. Im taking out 23,000 for living expenses, 8k of which is for insurance, loupes, laptop, tools, lab fees, etc. So ill have 15k for the year and that should be more than enough for rent, food, gas, along with monthly/bi-monthly flights to visit my girlfriend and family.

Feel free to message me with any further questions!

Columbia

Washington Heights, specifically Hudson Heights

My share is $825 rent (includes heat and water) + about $50 for Internet/electric/gas

Very large 1 BR, 1 bath -- up to 3 people could live fairly comfortably. EDIT: Three adults could live decently, if expecting to live with a college dorm-type level of comfort and privacy. The apartment is best for no more than 2 adults + maybe a very small child or a pet.

5. Do you share a room or have a roommate?
1 roommate

I'm in the wealthiest part of Washington Heights. It's a rather typical New York middle-class to upper middle-class neighborhood, and very safe -- there are people walking around at all hours of the day and night, even in some of the parks. My neighbors are mostly older Jews who have been in the area for decades, young professionals, young families, and creative types, along with some immigrants from the FSU.

By Manhattan standards, it's also a very green and low-rise neighborhood. I live near some gorgeous parks (including Fort Tryon Park, my favorite in the city). My apartment gets lots of sunlight because there are so few tall buildings around.

15 minutes walking
10-20 minutes by subway (a good option to have at certain times)

Washington Heights is a neighborhood of contrasts, as is neighboring Inwood. In both neighborhoods, areas east of Broadway are mostly Hispanic and more typical of immigrant/ethnic neighborhoods. Areas west of Broadway are more mixed in terms of population and general flavor, and generally quieter, less busy, and more expensive.

When apartment-shopping, it is best to visit the area by day AND by night. Some areas are louder than others. Some areas are safer than others. Some areas feel more welcoming to "outsiders" than others. These things can differ dramatically, even within the space of a block or two.

For a professional student who doesn't already know the neighborhood well, it is easiest to stay in the more expensive areas (Hudson Heights, Inwood west of Broadway, the area around the medical center west of Broadway), especially as you're just starting out -- you'll have fewer concerns about noise, safety, etc., and you won't be tagged as an outsider. However, you can get some amazing deals if you're willing to venture outward. And you will have plenty of opportunities to explore, since there are lots of great stores, restaurants, and other amenities in the less expensive parts.

Last edited:

University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine

Aurora which is east Denver. Right on campus.

$999 (it hurts) haven't gotten a utility bill yet. Brand new (open Aug. 1 2008) luxury apartments very nice place right on campus and you can walk to a GOLF COURSE!!

1 bed/bath plus a study/office 950 sq ft with a rocky mountain view!!

No

living on campus there are plenty of security/police on patrol but the general area around the health science center is really ghetto and i would not walk around at night. i picked this place primarily on walking distance and safety

7 min walk to front door of dental school

Cheaper housing is available <5 mi from campus some is okay and safe and some is not. Denver is a great city but unfortunately the part of town where the health science center is about the worst in Denver/Aurora although all the facilities are brand new and awesome!!