Still in high school... I got some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skitch92

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay here's the scoop.

I'm about to be 16 and I am a sophomore in high school. I am 100% certain I want to go into med school. I am also pretty sure I want to go into anesthesiology. I know the basics about what you must learn to do it, because my uncle is currently one. But seeing as he went to school ages ago, I would like a more modern understanding.

I would like to know how many years you are in pre-med, an internship, residency, etc.

Also, what is the work load like. Meaning is it 10+/- years of just constant hard work and studying or are some times alot easier than others.

And last, what schools are there in Texas, because I am looking to head down there because of family.

Thanks, any help or input will be appreciated. And sorry that I will not be able to respond for a little while cause I'm driving up to Rhode Island. Should be on in a little over two hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, kid. Nice to meet you. I'm sure that others will tell you to "do a search" and that "this has been answered before", but here's cop's response:

You are sixteen. I admire your vision. But, do not - for the sake of your own sanity and happiness of being - go into medicine. Pick business. Get a top notch MBA from a big B-school, and sail into the corporate world working half the time and making ten times the money when you get to the top of your game. Sure, you'll have to start your way at an entry job and work-up, but with a top 25 B-school degree, you'll be pulling $100-$125k in your first corporate job at the age of 24-25. By the time you're 35, you'll be making 5 times that if you play your cards right. You'll be able to travel, have a life, and not spend every day fixing other people's problems under the constant threat of getting sued or being someone else's byQtch.

But, if you are steadfast and earnest in your quest and you remain undeterred, let me lay it out there for you...

1) You've probably already started too late. You need to kill the SAT's and get into a top 25 undergrad program somewhere. So, if you're under 1300 aggregate right now, you gotta tell your friends you can't hang with them next weekend because you're working on getting your score up at Sylvan. Start pimping the teachers in school who'll sponsor you for a spot in NHS, if you aren't already in it... (another leg down, I might add).

2) Next, get into college and go pre-med with a Biochem or P Chem major. Sure, you can do Biology, but you better shine brighter than Jesus on Easter if you want to get into a competitive med school. Now, don't party on the weekends... okay, maybe once a month or so and after exams... and study, study, study. Give up the best four years of your life to ensure that you get an "A" in all of your undergrad pre-reqs. Whatever you do, don't f-up 2nd semester Organic Chemistry. First semester ain't that hard. If you get anything less than a B+ in second semester, you're going to have a hard time getting into the med school of your choice. And, this is just the first two years of college.

3) Keep busting your ass in your junior and senior years of college. Remember, you gotta keep that GPA above 3.5 to have a realistic shot at the better programs. And, you better score at least a 32 (or higher) on the MCAT. Oh, the MCAT! That's right. That thing, if you have a bad day, can screw it all up for you. And, don't forget about your extra-curriculars. You know? Volunteering at the homeless shelter, working extra hours shadowing a doc in the local hospital, etc., etc. And, you can't get jealous because some of your friends from home are reporting they're having the time of their lives. Your friends will be co-pre-meds, and they will be the most vicious, back-stabbing, competitive, two-faced people who exist only to make you miserable you've ever met. But, remember, they're your friends. Which, if you think about it, is actually pretty good training for learning how to deal with the type of people who will be future professional colleauges.

4) Apply for school through AMCAS, and fund this by getting in line with all the crack addicts at the local blood bank and selling your plasma. Don't worry, you can do this twice a month and it pays pretty well. You'll realize that, when they take your plasma, they're also probably taking that last little piece of what's left of your soul. That is, the part that you didn't give away while shoving your noise up some a-hole Ivory Tower professor's arse just so he'd give you a good med school recommendation.

5) Now, you're in med school. Think you were miserable before? Be prepared for the hardest two years of your life. You will feel like jumping off of a bridge at certain points because there is no way that anyone can actually expect you to learn the volume of information coming at you in the time it is coming at you. Somehow, you get through it, though. And, now you are faced with the first of the "Steps". You'll spend 6-12 weeks preparing for this, and the next four waiting for your score afterwards in a complete panic that you failed it. Because, you know, so much rides on what you get on that test. You can pass it, but you better at least get a 220 or better, or your probably not going to get your spot at that top tier anesthesia program you've been eyeing since you were sixteen.

6) Third and fourth year teach you about the abuse you're going to take as an intern. Sure, you'll be fresh off learning all of this medical knowledge in the first two years of school and ready to apply it. Problem is, no one will let you because they know that you have no earthly idea how to apply it and, you will soon learn, they are right. Soon, you'll figure out that the first two years of med school were - for all intents and purposes - one big masturbatory session that has little to do with actually practicing medicine.

7) Now, you'll apply to anesthesia residency. You'll waste another huge chunk of money applying to 30 or 40 programs, get tons of interviews, and drag yourself all over the country trying to impress people you don't know and don't really care about all over again. You'll wonder to yourself, "when does this end?" to which someday you'll sadly realize in a moment of brilliant insight, an epiphany if you will, that it never does. You'll Match into a spot, maybe your top choice, after you ride the angst once again.

8) Suddenly, you find yourself at age 26 - the prime of your life - in residency. You'll be expected to know and do everything, but you'll quickly realize that you don't really have any authority. You'll be working 90-100 hours (but only allowed to report 80 hours... wink, wink) a week making $38,000/year while your buddy who went to B-school just got promoted to Director of Some Department in a Manhattan business and is now pulling $175k. Your Friday night consists of disimpacting a 89-year-old man's rectum of retained stool. His Friday night consists of partying with a bunch of hotties looking to score a B-school grad and wondering where his doctor buddy is... if only he was there. This goes on for the next four years. It doesn't get better as you progress through residency. You just get more responsibility with the same level of authority: none.

9) Towards the end of your residency, you go on more interviews with people you don't really care about and, somehow everywhere you go you are vaguely reminded of those back-stabbing college "friends" that said to your face "congratulations" when you got accepted to Top Choice School of Medicine, but then discussed how much they hated you when you walked away with their next breaths. Guess what? These are your professional "colleagues" now, AND your future "partners".

So, then there's ...

10) CONGRATULATIONS! Now you're finished college, med school, and residency! You're a board-eligible anesthesiologist! And, you're thirty! You've just given the biggest part of your soul and the best years of your life away to be bombarded by people who think you're "not really a doctor" and battles with midlevels who think they can do your job just as well - if not better - than you can.

Welcome to anesthesiology! If you remain undeterred by what I just wrote, you may actually have a chance at being successful. But, I'll tell you at 16 I was in no way prepared for all of this. And, if I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I can't say I would. But, can't say I wouldn't either... ;)

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
coprolalia-- the perfect reply. Thank you.

Okay, kid. Nice to meet you. I'm sure that others will tell you to "do a search" and that "this has been answered before", but here's cop's response:

You are sixteen. I admire your vision. But, do not - for the sake of your own sanity and happiness of being - go into medicine. Pick business. Get a top notch MBA from a big B-school, and sail into the corporate world working half the time and making ten times the money when you get to the top of your game. Sure, you'll have to start your way at an entry job and work-up, but with a top 25 B-school degree, you'll be pulling $100-$125k in your first corporate job at the age of 24-25. By the time you're 35, you'll be making 5 times that if you play your cards right. You'll be able to travel, have a life, and not spend every day fixing other people's problems under the constant threat of getting sued or being someone else's byQtch.

But, if you are steadfast and earnest in your quest and you remain undeterred, let me lay it out there for you...

1) You've probably already started too late. You need to kill the SAT's and get into a top 25 undergrad program somewhere. So, if you're under 1300 aggregate right now, you gotta tell your friends you can't hang with them next weekend because you're working on getting your score up at Sylvan. Start pimping the teachers in school who'll sponsor you for a spot in NHS, if you aren't already in it... (another leg down, I might add).

2) Next, get into college and go pre-med with a Biochem or P Chem major. Sure, you can do Biology, but you better shine brighter than Jesus on Easter if you want to get into a competitive med school. Now, don't party on the weekends... okay, maybe once a month or so and after exams... and study, study, study. Give up the best four years of your life to ensure that you get an "A" in all of your undergrad pre-reqs. Whatever you do, don't f-up 2nd semester Organic Chemistry. First semester ain't that hard. If you get anything less than a B+ in second semester, you're going to have a hard time getting into the med school of your choice. And, this is just the first two years of college.

3) Keep busting your ass in your junior and senior years of college. Remember, you gotta keep that GPA above 3.5 to have a realistic shot at the better programs. And, you better score at least a 32 (or higher) on the MCAT. Oh, the MCAT! That's right. That thing, if you have a bad day, can screw it all up for you. And, don't forget about your extra-curriculars. You know? Volunteering at the homeless shelter, working extra hours shadowing a doc in the local hospital, etc., etc. And, you can't get jealous because some of your friends from home are reporting they're having the time of their lives. Your friends will be co-pre-meds, and they will be the most vicious, back-stabbing, competitive, two-faced people who exist only to make you miserable you've ever met. But, remember, they're your friends. Which, if you think about it, is actually pretty good training for learning how to deal with the type of people who will be future professional colleauges.

4) Apply for school through AMCAS, and fund this by getting in line with all the crack addicts at the local blood bank and selling your plasma. Don't worry, you can do this twice a month and it pays pretty well. You'll realize that, when they take your plasma, they're also probably taking that last little piece of what's left of your soul. That is, the part that you didn't give away while shoving your noise up some a-hole Ivory Tower professor's arse just so he'd give you a good med school recommendation.

5) Now, you're in med school. Think you were miserable before? Be prepared for the hardest two years of your life. You will feel like jumping off of a bridge at certain points because there is no way that anyone can actually expect you to learn the volume of information coming at you in the time it is coming at you. Somehow, you get through it, though. And, now you are faced with the first of the "Steps". You'll spend 6-12 weeks preparing for this, and the next four waiting for your score afterwards in a complete panic that you failed it. Because, you know, so much rides on what you get on that test. You can pass it, but you better at least get a 220 or better, or your probably not going to get your spot at that top tier anesthesia program you've been eyeing since you were sixteen.

6) Third and fourth year teach you about the abuse you're going to take as an intern. Sure, you'll be fresh off learning all of this medical knowledge in the first two years of school and ready to apply it. Problem is, no one will let you because they know that you have no earthly idea how to apply it and, you will soon learn, they are right. Soon, you'll figure out that the first two years of med school were - for all intents and purposes - one big masturbatory session that has little to do with actually practicing medicine.

7) Now, you'll apply to anesthesia residency. You'll waste another huge chunk of money applying to 30 or 40 programs, get tons of interviews, and drag yourself all over the country trying to impress people you don't know and don't really care about all over again. You'll wonder to yourself, "when does this end?" to which someday you'll sadly realize in a moment of brilliant insight, an epiphany if you will, that it never does. You'll Match into a spot, maybe your top choice, after you ride the angst once again.

8) Suddenly, you find yourself at age 26 - the prime of your life - in residency. You'll be expected to know and do everything, but you'll quickly realize that you don't really have any authority. You'll be working 90-100 hours (but only allowed to report 80 hours... wink, wink) a week making $38,000/year while your buddy who went to B-school just got promoted to Director of Some Department in a Manhattan business and is now pulling $175k. Your Friday night consists of disimpacting a 89-year-old man's rectum of retained stool. His Friday night consists of partying with a bunch of hotties looking to score a B-school grad and wondering where his doctor buddy is... if only he was there. This goes on for the next four years. It doesn't get better as you progress through residency. You just get more responsibility with the same level of authority: none.

9) Towards the end of your residency, you go on more interviews with people you don't really care about and, somehow everywhere you go you are vaguely reminded of those back-stabbing college "friends" that said to your face "congratulations" when you got accepted to Top Choice School of Medicine, but then discussed how much they hated you when you walked away with their next breaths. Guess what? These are your professional "colleagues" now, AND your future "partners".

So, then there's ...

10) CONGRATULATIONS! Now you're finished college, med school, and residency! You're a board-eligible anesthesiologist! And, you're thirty! You've just given the biggest part of your soul and the best years of your life away to be bombarded by people who think you're "not really a doctor" and battles with midlevels who think they can do your job just as well - if not better - than you can.

Welcome to anesthesiology! If you remain undeterred by what I just wrote, you may actually have a chance at being successful. But, I'll tell you at 16 I was in no way prepared for all of this. And, if I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I can't say I would. But, can't say I wouldn't either... ;)

-copro

WOW.

One of the top ten posts in SDN history.

Someone please link this to the PRE ALLO forum. And the ALLO forum. And the I WANNA GO TO MED SCHOOL forum.

GREAT, GREAT POST.

:clap::clap::bow::bow:

Agree - great post, especially 'cause it's pretty accurate; don't think he's exaggerating. However, i should add that if you DO insist on entering the field of medicine, anesthesia is definitely the way to go - it's at least way more fun than the other medical specialties, and relatively more lifestyle-friendly. You'll often see other doctors switching into anesthesia but you'll rarely see anybody switching out.

don't forget about how all your other personal relationships will go straight to hell as well...

but copro, tell us how you really feel?:p

Members don't see this ad :)

So, then there's ...

-copro

I'm going to go kill myself. Thanks.

Haha awesome

Don't forget the part where after he finishes residency in the year 2025, and he's competing with robots for a job :laugh:

Robots manufactured by a corporation where his Business friend is vice president.

to the OP: aren't you glad you asked?
seriously though -- i was advised not to go into medicine, but did it anyways.
had i known how much hard work it was really going to be I don't think I would have done it. really, there is a huge amount of sacrifice involved -- time, money, personal relationships....
you can skate through, not work that hard and end up in primary care somewhere, graduate and never read another medical journal and be a somewhat ****ty doctor (this is my best friends plan) --but anesthesiologist is out of the question. but who knows by the time for you comes around it might hit another low where they are begging for residents.
re-read 5 and 6 again -- medicine is becoming SO complex that there is just an amazing amount of information to master. and nothing sucks worse that studying for the boards.
why do you want to be a doctor?
i guarantee you there are better ways to accomplish whatever your goal is ($, altruism, respect, etc.)

I wish someone posted that when I was still in high school.

Don't forget about how quickly college/med school tuition is going up! MBA is the way to go. Go to a Top 5 business school, make some connections, don't do anything stupid, and you're set for life. If you are smart enough to go to med school, you are smart enough to go to a top business school (no offense to the MBAs out there, but you know it's true).

If you love anesthesiology, start your own company that employs us! This is the way healthcare is going - corporations employing physicians, taking away our profits and autonomy.

Calvin Coolidge said "The business of America is business." This is why we are the only industrialized country that has private, for profit health care. If I were you, I would take advantage of it while it lasts!

Don't throw away the rest of your life.

So, in summary, four years of pre-med, one year of intership, and three years of residency are required to become an anesthesiologist. Fellowships are an extra year, usually. If you have more questions regarding fellowships, one of us would be happy to answer.

It is all hard work. You learn to become stronger and smarter than ever, as impossible as it may seem. This is NOT a good field for those who want to make money in the easiest way possible. Though this is a great field for those who want to lead an altruistic and likely happy life. It's what you make out of it.

The UT system in Tx is huge. I know there are schools at least in the following areas: Galveston, Houston, Lubbock, San Antonio, Dallas. There's a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) school, too, I think.

Overall, I would tell you to do what's in your heart. A lot of what's been said is true, but don't let that deter you. Instead, decide for yourself, "Is this the best field for me?" It's a long road, but I guarantee the highs will outweigh the lows. It's fun and exciting. Remember, if it were that bad, then most of us would just quit at some point. And I have not met many who've done that. Also, don't be so sure about the field of anesthesia. Before you know it, you'll want to go into Radiology or Plastics. Opinions change rapidly in med school.

Don't do it for the money. I'm sure you've heard that before. Work hard and decide for yourself if you want to devote a great amount of time and effort into becoming a physician. If yes, then welcome to this great field. In the end, a business man is...well, just that.

Abe's post is fair enough. My post is certainly intended to be mostly "tongue-in-cheek" too. There are definitely high points. But, you have to really search your soul before you choose this as a career and really know what your motivations are to enter the field. If it's mostly for the glory of being called "doctor", you're going to be sorely disappointed.

And, even the most upbeat and optimistic of practitioners who choose this career for "all the right reasons" will be injected with what is probably "healthy" cynicism at some point in their medical training/career. One of my good friends and colleauges was much like Abe... until she was recently named in a lawsuit. When we discussed it for the first time the day she called me after getting subpoenaed, I'd never before heard such colorful language come out of her otherwise polite and usually smiling mouth.

-copro

You know, cop, the problem is that at 16 this kid will not listen to us. I could not have responded to his question any better. Your response is only slightly tongue in cheek. There is more truth in it than hyperbole. I tell every high school kid who asks me not to go into medicine, and they look at me with a blank stare. Don't get me wrong, I tell them, I love my job. But the total BS you have to go through to get to the end makes me wish sometimes that I had listened to the docs I talked to when I was 16 who told me to go into business school.

So, then there's ...

-copro

A second-year medical student at Baylor was home this weekend on semester break. He assisted the pastor at church this morning.

This individual scored a perfect SAT, cruised through undergrad, got into Baylor med school .... after one year (making excellent grades) he felt called to the ministry. He made arrangements with Baylor, and then spent the next three years as a fulltime student at Duke Divinity School, graduating this past May. Resumed med school at Baylor this August.

His goal is to become a primary care physician to indigent/underserved/third-world patients somewhere. More power to him. And, no, I don't believe he comes from a wealthy family, although I've heard that he attends Baylor on scholarship (same at Duke.)

Some might call him naive, others might call him inspired, pie-in-the-sky, unrealistic, pick your own adjective. It all boils down to what motivates you and what rewards you. And that's also up to your own definition.

Perhaps your school counselor can give you a vocational interest/aptitude test. I would also recommend the Meyers-Briggs, to see if your personality type has similar attributes to those in medicine.

Have you asked your pediatrician / family physician for their input?

Some might call him naive, others might call him inspired, pie-in-the-sky, unrealistic, pick your own adjective. It all boils down to what motivates you and what rewards you. And that's also up to your own definition.

These types are, in my opinion and observation, quite rare. And, we'll see if he becomes jaded or changes his tune the first time someone sues him.

-copro

coprolalia that was the most straight foward best piece of literature ive read about becoming a doctor yet. Strangely enough its just encourages me more even though by the time i finish I'll be 36

First of all, Copro...great post! As an MS2m that is basically just beginning this journey (yet already 90K in debt...thanks private school!), I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Many on this thread have pointed to the B-school and business world option. While I completely agree that from a financial perspective, the business world/invest banking is a better option, think of their day-to-day life. Personally, the thought of traveling around the country, attending meetings, kissing major !@$ and working in the business world makes me want to vomit. However, on the other hand, being able to be that calm, reassuring, excellent anesthesiologist who is able to calm the fears of his patients and handle any difficult situations that may arise...and absolutely loving what you do...to me, that's worth it in the end.

....However, on the other hand, being able to be that calm, reassuring, excellent anesthesiologist who is able to calm the fears of his patients and handle any difficult situations that may arise...and absolutely loving what you do...to me, that's worth it in the end.

Your above statement, sir/ma'am, provides the best reply to my previous comment: It all boils down to what motivates you and what rewards you. And that's also up to your own definition.

So, then there's ...

-copro

Plus when you're done you can practice DEFENSIVE MEDICINE. And always worry about getting SUED. Not to mention the FINGER POINTING SURGEON who'll be your homie in the OR and a combination between RONALD REGAN and THE DEVIL in the COURT ROOM!

Enjoy! BTW, blowing off the time of your life in college leads most to either: A)become totally socially inept in real life (see most medical professionals), B) Bitter (see the rest of medical professionals), or C) A total friggen a$$hole (the rest of your "colleagues").

Amen Copro, Amen.

Enjoy! BTW, blowing off the time of your life in college leads most to either: A)become totally socially inept in real life (see most medical professionals)...

Check.

B) Bitter (see the rest of medical professionals)...

Check.

C) A total friggen a$$hole (the rest of your "colleagues").

Check.

Seems you've nailed my personality with the trifecta!

Amen Copro, Amen.

Hey, my man. Nice to at least know (by the response on this thread) that I've been preaching to the choir.

-coporo

The thing is posts like that only encourage crazy pre-meds because it's like you're testing their dedication. Like in Fight Club when they make new recruits stand outside the house and then "permit" them to do chores etc...

I agree totally with the above comments. I was one of those pre-meds that stuck in there despite wanting to pursue music. I'm an MS4, took time off, going into anesthesiology and will be 34 when I finish. I already feel like any sense of normalcy in my life is gone...and then there's internship and training to look forward to. If I really took into account the amount of debt I'd be in, and how becoming a doctor would alienate me from my friends and family, I probably would have turned in that app to Berkelee School of Music...

Business school is not as great as some Doctors are making it out to be. I think this is a perfect example of "grass is always greener.."

First off, the top 5 Business schools will not even consider your application without sufficient work experience. Admitted students have an average of 5-7 years of work experience before applying. MBA grads are not Directors by the time they are 25-26, more like applying to MBA school when they are 27-28 and maybe Directors by 35-36.

Second, B school is getting VERY expensive. While it is only two years as opposed to 4 years for Medical School, tuition at Michigan (a top 5 school) is close to 60,000 per year right now for OOS tuition. So B-school grads are getting into a significant amount of debt just as Med School grads are.

So now you have graduated from a top 5-10 MBA program with debt just like a Med Student. You get a good first job, which is giving you about 95-100k per year base salary. (I believe the average starting salary for MBA grads from the top 5 B-schools according to business week was around 95k).

Here is where a big disadvantage to B-school can be seen. Graduating from a top 5 MBA school will pretty much guarantee you these starting salaries, but from there on NOTHING is guaranteed. Whether you move up in the company and actually start making the really big bucks is up in the air. You have to kiss a lot of @ss to get there, too. Its not just given to you. You could just as easily be laid off or fired as you could getting that coveted CEO job. Even if you are one of the tens of thousands of MBA grads who gets an executive position or consulting position at a top firm, it will take you at least 5-10 years to get that job, so that coupled with the time it takes to get a top 5 MBA puts you in your 40's. Oh and I didnt mention either that to move up in any company like that, you better be putting in 100 hour workweeks and basically sleeping 4 hours a night to get it, because thats what your competition will be doing as well.

With Medical School, yes the amount of time to get it sucks, but the big difference is once your in, your in. Depending on what specialty you go into, the big money IS ALL BUT GUARANTEED. And also you will never have to worry about trying to find a job. Sure you might not be making the seven figure salary that an executive can make, but going MD route is definetley the safer route as far as money (you can still make anywhere from 150k-800k depending on specialty, etc) Like I said its not the seven figure salary an executive CAN make, however like I said you could also be a B-school grad never making more than that 95k salary you started with also, and thats assuming you went to a top 5-10 school! if you dont go to a school like that dont expect more than 50-60k starting, and thats if you can FIND a job! With Medicine even if you go to the worst ranked Medical School around, you will still make six figures. Not so with MBA. Oh and did I mention how monotonous and boring the work is compared to Diagnosing and treating patients. Cant even compare (though if you are truley business minded the work can be very rewarding). I am guessing though that Medical Students would not be the most business minded.

Business school can be more financial rewarding than medicine, and in some cases give you the most bang for your buck. But its not as great as what some of you Docs are making it out to be. Like I said, the grass is always greener.

Business school can be more financial rewarding than medicine, and in some cases give you the most bang for your buck. But its not as great as what some of you Docs are making it out to be. Like I said, the grass is always greener.

(1) No call.
(2) No threats of huge lawsuits that may effectively end your ability to make a living.
(3) No worries about losing your practice and financial security at any given time (unless you go for a venture-capital type job as an MBA).
(4) Stock options, bonuses, more time with your family, etc.

It's all about numbers.

There are hundreds of thousands of MBAs out there. There are tens of thousands of anesthesiologists.

There are a gajillion potential jobs that an MBA with experience could do. There is only one field for an anesthesiologist.

Your garden-variety MBA probably does pretty well (if my dad, who has a $600K plus job right now coming from an unknown B-school) when he/she gets to the top of his/her career. An anesthesiologist will max-out pretty early in his/her career. So, the upfront (early thirties) pay may be better than an average 30-something, but that MBA who stays in the game and gets a few gray hairs salary.... well, sky's the limit.

I can tell you that my dad does not work NEARLY as hard as I do, and I'll never make that much as a gas-passer.

Choose what you want to do not because of the money, though. If you're choosing medicine for the money, you're making a big mistake. If you're choosing it for the presumed "prestige" you will get, you're making a big mistake. If you're choosing it because you are a bleeding heart that has some Freudian need to help people and don't mind taking it in the a$$ on a regular basis, then it might be the right field for you.

-copro

I'll have to agree with Uppi here. There's no argument that the reward is much larger in business.

But so is the risk. The risk of being laid off. The risk of working that hard and having nothing to show for it (Ibanking hours are just as bad as residency hours. If not worse)

And worst of all, the glass ceiling is still alive and well in business. (I'm sure it's there in medicine as well but solo practice allows some people to escape it)

I did a post search and found this thread. It was worth bumping if only for copro's post.

I'll say this though. In my limited experience on earth, I would say that whenever somebody says...you gotta do this...it's golden...by that time the well is already starting to dry up. i have heard similar advice about stocks and housing market...and if i'd listened to such advice would have been badly burned.

an mba im sure will continue to depreciate in value, and as harder times hit the economy you may be not so thrilled with this degree.

medicine is at least reliable in that you'll never be out of a job. i don't care about what people say. you'll always have a job.

lastly, do NOT sell your soul during college to study all the time. If you want a recipe for bitterness, there it is. If you can't have fun during college, then it isn't worth it.

I never quite figured out what a 16 year old is doing posting on an anesthesiology internet forum instead of trying to con the local 7-11 guy to sell him as many Zima's so him and his buddies can get drunk and try to get their rocks off with the school sluts. His best years are about to start once college begins: frat parties, screwing around with more sluts, vandalizing school property, waking up in trash cans AFTER the frat parties, smoking joints and experimenting with substances. Enjoy it while you can kid and don't worry about med school, residency, etc.

I did a post search and found this thread. It was worth bumping if only for copro's post.

I'll say this though. In my limited experience on earth, I would say that whenever somebody says...you gotta do this...it's golden...by that time the well is already starting to dry up. i have heard similar advice about stocks and housing market...and if i'd listened to such advice would have been badly burned.

an mba im sure will continue to depreciate in value, and as harder times hit the economy you may be not so thrilled with this degree.

medicine is at least reliable in that you'll never be out of a job. i don't care about what people say. you'll always have a job.

lastly, do NOT sell your soul during college to study all the time. If you want a recipe for bitterness, there it is. If you can't have fun during college, then it isn't worth it.

This is very true. You can never time the ultimate highs OR lows. The best investors are ones that can take profits even on a down tick. Some people just freeze and hope that whatever they're in will miraculously recover. Sometimes it will, and other times it won't.

As for selling one's soul in college, I'm no genius, but I was able to work hard AND party with my buddies most of the weekends.

I'm currently studying for Step I, and don't feel it's THAT overwhelming (I know, I shouldn't be talking smack without first taking the test....).

I think this process is what you make of it. The grass is always greener on the other side. You'll see lots of cost analyses in the medical school discussion. But, there are some things you can't put a price on.

When people see me studying at Caribou all the time, they ask me why I decided to pursue medicine. The only thing I can say is that "it's a lifestyle". And I believe this is true. The process IS so long, that if you can only envision yourself as an attending physician, you'll be in for a rough ride.

But, if you can find a way to enjoy the process and the new and unique experiences, you'll do just fine. I do think you really have to like a challenge though, as well as perhaps being a "glutton for punishment"....

I never quite figured out what a 16 year old is doing posting on an anesthesiology internet forum instead of trying to con the local 7-11 guy to sell him as many Zima's so him and his buddies can get drunk and try to get their rocks off with the school sluts. His best years are about to start once college begins: frat parties, screwing around with more sluts, vandalizing school property, waking up in trash cans AFTER the frat parties, smoking joints and experimenting with substances. Enjoy it while you can kid and don't worry about med school, residency, etc.

"sluts".... lol

Actually, I am on the other side of things. I mean, what was he doing in junior high that he couldnt have been thinking about this already? time to grow up son

I'll second the notion that "the grass is always greener on the other side" sure, business might work out for some. However those who business isn't working out for probably aren't so talkative about their failures.

It is just as hard or harder to get into a top MBA program than it is to get into a medical school. It may require a top 20 undergrad degree, whereas that is by no means required to get into a medical school. (I went to a completely unranked public liberal arts school and got into a top ~25 medical school, not that medical school rankings mean anything) I didn't know what I wanted to be when I started college, so I went to my unranked public U and did my thing. I then later went to my state medical school. You couldn't pull that off and end up at a top MBA program most likely.

As others have pointed out, there is a lot of luck and skill involved in becoming a rich businessman, while medicine basically requires that you complete the pre-requisities and you get the benefits.

Also it is worth mentioning, going into business to be rich will mean you are going to be working residency like hours for a lot of years with no guarantee it will pay off.

Plus if you are savvy enough to be a great businessman in business, you are probably savvy enough to be a doctor who manages his money well. There are certainly doctors who own their own clinics and have sports medicine facilities and the like.

Edit: A lot of people mention the "you're losing the best years of your life" phrase as a deterent to medical school. Again, if you go on to be any kind of very sucessful person with a difficult college obtained degree you would likely fall in that category as well. Sure you could go to a tier 4 law school after partying college away with a 3.1 gpa and a mediocre LSAT, but their average starting salary is 40-60grand with no guarantee for improvement.

Certainly the guy shouldn't be worrying about this at 16, but if he plans on doing anything that is particularly difficult (becoming a doctor, top tier lawyer, top tier MBA and so on) he will unfortunately be "wasting" the best years of his life.

Business is a MUCH better way to make money than medicine, if that is your objective. Business is a MUCH easier lifestyle, if that is your objective.
While I cannot compare graduate level business classes to medical school, I can compare undergrad business classes with the pre-med requirements: Business classes are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. The intellectual capacity required for business classes is MUCH less than that required for pre-medical type school classes.
Just depends on what gets you out of bed in the morning....

Sure you could go to a tier 4 law school after partying college away with a 3.1 gpa and a mediocre LSAT, but their average starting salary is 40-60grand with no guarantee for improvement.

True story of three different friends who are lawyers.

(1) Went to a prestigious law firm (known for churning out many Senators and Congressman, as well as other famous people). Got a job straight out of law school in a small, private practice firm with a very famous (almost celebrity) lawyer (e.g., the guy is well-known throughout the country, and has even been on Dateline NBC). Hated it. Went to work for the state government as a prosecuting attorney. Current salary: $72,000/year. This is 8 years out. What's the upside? He typically goes to work at 8:00 AM, and is home by 3:00 PM everyday. He works half-days on Fridays.

(2) Female acquaintance who went to a "Tier 4" law school. Graduated in lower half of her class. Passed the Bar on her second try. Got out of law school, worked for a small local firm making $45,000/year for her first two years. Got frustrated at the crappy cases and doing all the "grunt" work for the senior partners. Left. Pimped herself out for locums work locally, for just a little more than she was making when she left, at a big law firm. Did this for about 6 months, they loved her, offered her a job. New salary: $164,000. She'll make junior partner in another two years (she's 28). Partner share in that particular firm, according to her, is at least $290,000 at the low end.

(3) My brother's (who's older than me) friend. Wesleyan Undergrad. UVA School of Law. Graduated in top 15% of class. Made law review. First job out of law school (1993): $126,000. He was 26 at the time. He's now 38, is full partner in his firm in Northern Virginia/DC area and pulls in over $600k/year.

You be the judge (no pun intended).

-copro

good post by copro. a bit extreme, but probably necessary to illustrate a point.
my additional 2 cents is that you do not have to be the academic superstar as is described. top 25 undergrad? p-chem major? backstabbing pre-med friends?

that has not been my experience at all. i had fun in college and med school and am reasonably happy during residency (starting last year of anesthesiology). i did have to work hard and make sacrifices, that's life.

whatever you decide to do, take it one step at a time (can't swallow the whole experience whole) and keep your eye on the "prize" (whatever it is to you. for me the prize has always been to maintain a sense of personal stability, make a life with friends and family, and to take really good care of my patients).

there are 2 kinds of people in this world. there's YOU and EVERYONE ELSE. you have got to make your own way and experience things in only the way you can. so take everything everyone tells you (including me) with a grain of salt - it's their experience, not yours.

Amyl,

I know you have posted you have biz experience in the past...You know how difficult it is for businessmen to make as much money as docs. It's not exactly something that falls into their laps..

With that said, being an entrepreneur is the way to go, and combining it with being a physician can reap very nice rewards. Due to mindsets, though, the two rarely are found within the same person. Docs are trained to be risk aversive so much that it often sucks the creative life out of the person..

Business is a MUCH better way to make money than medicine, if that is your objective. Business is a MUCH easier lifestyle, if that is your objective.
While I cannot compare graduate level business classes to medical school, I can compare undergrad business classes with the pre-med requirements: Business classes are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. The intellectual capacity required for business classes is MUCH less than that required for pre-medical type school classes.
Just depends on what gets you out of bed in the morning....

Amyl,

I know you have posted you have biz experience in the past...You know how difficult it is for businessmen to make as much money as docs. It's not exactly something that falls into their laps..

With that said, being an entrepreneur is the way to go, and combining it with being a physician can reap very nice rewards. Due to mindsets, though, the two rarely are found within the same person. Docs are trained to be risk aversive so much that it often sucks the creative life out of the person..

im the opposite...i think that's what makes me personally different from most doctors. medicine seems so "safe" it almost sickens me. I would assume anesthesia has a few more cowboys and pro-risk people.