Buy in still a thing in current market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly. The advertised salaries for academics are usually not even close to the full picture. Low 300s, and people think wow terrible. They don't tell you that's the base for 35 hours per week and does not include any call, weekends, late pay, bonus, loan forgiveness, academic rank, etc. Many of these places your W2 earnings can be 50-100% above base if you include these shift stipends and incentive pay.

I worked my ass off in academics with clinical work ... Plenty of weekend calls doing terrible cases ... and was amongst the highest biller in my department. Our base pay is about 350k for 50 hour weeks. Even in my most soul crushing and lucrative year i only made about 450k. So far I've been pulling about 70k a month during locums with a lot less stress.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I worked my ass off in academics with clinical work ... Plenty of weekend calls doing terrible cases ... and was amongst the highest biller in my department. Our base pay is about 350k for 50 hour weeks. Even in my most soul crushing and lucrative year i only made about 450k. So far I've been pulling about 70k a month during locums with a lot less stress.

Sounds like a crappy academic gig (in terms of compensation at least). There are far better out there now. The recent market conditions have recalibrated and shrunk the private vs academic pay disparity.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a crappy academic gig (in terms of compensation at least). There are far better out there now. The recent market conditions have recalibrated and shrunk the private vs academic pay disparity.

In our community, some of the academic doctors are the best paid anesthesiologists in town. Chair makes 7 figures, division chiefs (pain, peds, regional) make close to a million. About 10 yrs ago, the chair made <500k so things have really changed. They are state employees so it is all public record.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of them are still pretty bad with high workload and low pay. At a place down the street from me the chair (of a dept well over 100 with physicians + CRNAs) is only at 600K. Even with lots of hustle the rank and file are sub 500K and can’t break it. They have 1:3-4 direction requirements too. Yet people keep signing up (as people keep leaving).

This is just to say that there are still plenty of not great academic jobs out there. A lot are not calibrating up.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of them are still pretty bad with high workload and low pay. At a place down the street from me the chair (of a dept well over 100 with physicians + CRNAs) is only at 600K. Even with lots of hustle the rank and file are sub 500K and can’t break it. They have 1:3-4 direction requirements too. Yet people keep signing up (as people keep leaving).

This is just to say that there are still plenty of not great academic jobs out there. A lot are not calibrating up.

I had a chief who stayed on and worked like every weekend but barely got to 500k.

This was my experience interviewing at academic places. Yes you could pick up more work but it still seemed $500-550k was where most people topped out, and they were working a lot more hours than I do and still making less :/ I’m not saying it will always be this way and it does seem academics is slowly improving.

Im academics I did a 36 hour call during the holiday. Was up for about 30 hours of it. Cranis, perf bowels, and a **** ton of stupid appys and choles because we are just a resource for some toolish surgeons. I couldn't think straight after 24 hours.. i was putting a prone view on backwards. I was paid about $8000 for that call.

Last weekend i did a 24 hour backup call at my locums place. I did 1 simple urology case that took less than 2 hours. I spent the rest of my time with my wife and kids at the mall. And after dinner I drove with my locums-paid rental car and I slept at the locums-paid hotel. I was paid about $6500 for that.

Reactions: 9 users

Surprised people keep signing up for such a non-competitive job when its easy to get a solid job almost anywhere you want right now. What's the draw? Big name institution? Extremely desirable locale?

Im academics I did a 36 hour call during the holiday. Was up for about 30 hours of it. Cranis, perf bowels, and a **** ton of stupid appys and choles because we are just a resource for some toolish surgeons. I couldn't think straight after 24 hours.. i was putting a prone view on backwards. I was paid about $8000 for that call.

Last weekend i did a 24 hour backup call at my locums place. I did 1 simple urology case that took less than 2 hours. I spent the rest of my time with my wife and kids at the mall. And after dinner I drove with my locums-paid rental car and I slept at the locums-paid hotel. I was paid about $6500 for that.

Sounds awful. The academic gig in my area is ~q10 call which are 12hr shifts and always post-call off. Comp is pretty similar to private practice. New hire assistant professors without any special titles/status hitting 600k working pretty reasonable hours (~50hrs/wk) and always supervising only 1:2 even CRNA rooms. I know of other academic gigs that are similarly reasonable too, they are definitely out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was at a place that would pay max $2000 for a 24 hr call. Now they changed it all the way up to $2500 and people still sign up.

8K sounds reasonable for the amount of work, but it also sounds rough.

Sounds awful. The academic gig in my area is ~q10 call which are 12hr shifts and always post-call off. Comp is pretty similar to private practice. New hire assistant professors without any special titles/status hitting 600k working pretty reasonable hours (~50hrs/wk) and always supervising only 1:2 even CRNA rooms. I know of other academic gigs that are similarly reasonable too, they are definitely out there.
What part of the country?

Sorting my last round of job hunting just a couple of years ago, the two academic programs in my state started $270-290k. I did not inquire much beyond that, because both said that I would never again do my own case, couldn't do cardiac, and the faculty with whom I spoke just seemed beat down. Now, one still can't hire, has a mass exodus, but says that sometimes you can do your own cases. The other upped starting salary to $400k, and seems to be doing alright-ish.

The best offer I had at the time was M-F 7-5 for two weeks then one seven day week in the ICU (12hr shifts), then one week off, plus four weeks vacation, two weeks CME. that came to $315k, and during those off weeks, evening shifts or liver call was optional, but still only about $1000/ evening shift or night with the liver pager.

Members don't see this ad :)

Base: $295

I was at a place that would pay max $2000 for a 24 hr call. Now they changed it all the way up to $2500 and people still sign up.

8K sounds reasonable for the amount of work, but it also sounds rough.
Before I landed where I am now, I was doing 24h Saturday locums shifts at an academic trauma center. Essentially continuous work for the shift, 2:1 with a resident and CRNA. It included cardiac, but liver call was someone else. Any gaps in the emergencies were filled, usually by ortho and gen surg, some of whom actually hung around the OR eyeballing the board and looking for gaps to squeeze in non-urgent inpatient garbage. Literally bullying the OR charge RN to stuff bull**** into the cracks.

Think 450 pound covid trachs at 2 AM Sunday morning kind of garbage. Just nonstop.

$7500 for the 24, which was well above the going rate at the time. This was prior to the current market. So I kept going back for the beatdowns.

I only mention this because these brutal 24 shifts aren't just 24s. You are exhausted, just wiped out, for the entire next day. And the day after that, still kind of tired. It's rough at age 30. But 20 years later it's miserable.

So I didn't think of it as $7500 for a 24. It was $7500 for the weekend plus a mild Monday hangover.

Reactions: 5 users
Before I landed where I am now, I was doing 24h Saturday locums shifts at an academic trauma center. Essentially continuous work for the shift, 2:1 with a resident and CRNA. It included cardiac, but liver call was someone else. Any gaps in the emergencies were filled, usually by ortho and gen surg, some of whom actually hung around the OR eyeballing the board and looking for gaps to squeeze in non-urgent inpatient garbage. Literally bullying the OR charge RN to stuff bull**** into the cracks.

Think 450 pound covid trachs at 2 AM Sunday morning kind of garbage. Just nonstop.

$7500 for the 24, which was well above the going rate at the time. This was prior to the current market. So I kept going back for the beatdowns.

I only mention this because these brutal 24 shifts aren't just 24s. You are exhausted, just wiped out, for the entire next day. And the day after that, still kind of tired. It's rough at age 30. But 20 years later it's miserable.

So I didn't think of it as $7500 for a 24. It was $7500 for the weekend plus a mild Monday hangover.
At my current gig, if I was up doing cases for a 24 hr Saturday, itd ballpark around 10k, including stipend and billing. Not even close to worth it for what you describe. SO glad my shop is mostly rational people who don’t want to do BS after 10pm.

At my current gig, if I was up doing cases for a 24 hr Saturday, itd ballpark around 10k, including stipend and billing. Not even close to worth it for what you describe. SO glad my shop is mostly rational people who don’t want to do BS after 10pm.
It was worth it to me then because I wanted to supplement my way-below-market Navy pay, and because I needed to scrounge up pump cases after the Navy closed our cardiac surgery program. And the Navy job was low production, low stress - so I could burn hard doing locums for a while and then recharge at the government job, without feeling suicidal.

Would not do it now. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Their benefits are awesome, they have a ton of admin/sick time, and a lot of incentive pay on top of that. And of course it’s a super desirable place to live, so I think that could actually be a great job.
Job posting June 4, 2021

Their benefits are awesome, they have a ton of admin/sick time, and a lot of incentive pay on top of that. And of course it’s a super desirable place to live, so I think that could actually be a great job.

Don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying here. There could theoretically be benefits that outweigh the private groups incomes in the area (USAP and a couple private groups I see on gasworks advertise base >$400). But your earlier post suggested a shrinking pay disparity and this suggests to me a pretty stark disparity exists in the Denver area at least. Maybe you have a counter example?

More recent posting on gasworks for peds anesthesiologist at same campus - starting $320. Posted 1/3/24. Suggests to me this is still an accurate reflection of base salary expectations.

It also says “variable pay 60-100k” described on their website as "(call, incentive)" Q15 call is pretty light. I see other references online to a 10% contribution to retirement too. That might bring the amount to 400k 7 weeks academic time, 6 weeks vacation + 32-40k retirement to start. The biggest thing is how many hours is expected for base pay.

Don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying here. There could theoretically be benefits that outweigh the private groups incomes in the area (USAP and a couple private groups I see on gasworks advertise base >$400). But your earlier post suggested a shrinking pay disparity and this suggests to me a pretty stark disparity exists in the Denver area at least. Maybe you have a counter example?

My point was eloquently stated above - essentially, the base salary might not tell you much in academics and it always comes down to dollars per hour, like any job. I’ve seen academic jobs where base was 90% of comp and some where it was closer to 50%.

It also says “variable pay 60-100k” described on their website as "(call, incentive)" Q15 call is pretty light. I see other references online to a 10% contribution to retirement too. That might bring the amount to 400k 7 weeks academic time, 6 weeks vacation + 32-40k retirement to start. The biggest thing is how many hours is expected for base pay.
Maybe we have different definitions of what "base salary" means. IMO, if you're adding on extra call requirements and speculating 10% retirement contributions then sure we can say anything is reaching parity with anything.

But like the other guy said which I agreed with, there are always other factors to consider. College professors will often get discounted/free tuition for their kids too so that's certainly a potential factor I acknowledge.

My point was eloquently stated above - essentially, the base salary might not tell you much in academics and it always comes down to dollars per hour, like any job. I’ve seen academic jobs where base was 90% of comp and some where it was closer to 50%.

Ok, cool. What new information suggested to you that the disparity is decreasing?

What gave you this impression: "The recent market conditions have recalibrated and shrunk the private vs academic pay disparity."

Edit: I could absolutely be persuaded here if you had something persuasive, but looking at the Denver numbers as a case study, I'm not convinced the disparity is decreasing.

Last edited:
Ok, cool. What new information suggested to you that the disparity is decreasing?

What gave you this impression: "The recent market conditions have recalibrated and shrunk the private vs academic pay disparity."

Edit: I could absolutely be persuaded here if you had something persuasive, but looking at the Denver numbers as a case study, I'm not convinced the disparity is decreasing.
In my (non-Denver) metro, the average unit in private groups is stagnant or decreasing and subsidies have been hard won, so their income is stagnant. Academics pays based on salary surveys which have increased over the past 3-5 years, so pay has increased 10-20% in many groups. Note that ‘private’ hospital employed jobs have also increased given big raises as they also pay based on surveys, but I’d argue those are not really private practices.

5year progression (2018-2022) at our state university academic hospital. Nobody else in town can match that trajectory. PP Income has not increased 50% over the past 5 years. From what I’ve been told, starting pay is 400-450 but yearly growth is baked in. I know several people who have jumped from PP to get on that train.

Chair:

IMG_0784.jpeg

Peds chief:

IMG_0782.jpeg

Pain chief:

IMG_0786.jpeg

Regional chief:

IMG_0785.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Maybe we have different definitions of what "base salary" means. IMO, if you're adding on extra call requirements and speculating 10% retirement contributions then sure we can say anything is reaching parity with anything.

But like the other guy said which I agreed with, there are always other factors to consider. College professors will often get discounted/free tuition for their kids too so that's certainly a potential factor I acknowledge.
Well that’s the thing. Where I trained base pay was 40 hours a week, no call, not even late hours. It was for like 7-3 5 days a week. You did anything beyond that (working late, weekend day, overnight, transplant call, pain, more than 40 hours a week etc) you got more. The average comp was >50% base pay and average hours was about 50.

Open Rank- Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor in Aurora, Colorado, United States seems to say 2x match for up to 10% gross pay.

I’m not saying it’s reaching parity or not. Just saying the job might be better than you think.

5year progression (2018-2022) at our state university academic hospital. Nobody else in town can match that trajectory. PP Income has not increased 50% over the past 5 years. From what I’ve been told, starting pay is 400-450 but yearly growth is baked in. I know several people who have jumped from PP to get on that train.

Chair:

View attachment 382003

Peds chief:

View attachment 382005

Pain chief:

View attachment 382006

Regional chief:

View attachment 382009
similar in my state for the chiefs at the big state medical center, but what do the regular docs get? more like 400-450 IME

In our community, some of the academic doctors are the best paid anesthesiologists in town. Chair makes 7 figures, division chiefs (pain, peds, regional) make close to a million. About 10 yrs ago, the chair made <500k so things have really changed. They are state employees so it is all public record.

I don’t think that is a fair comparison my friend haha. Let’s talk about pay during all those years you are a clinical instructor, assistant professor, associate professor.

Reactions: 3 users

I am familiar with the Denver market. The academic job in town that was posted call makes up about 40%, plus some incentive bonuses. They get paid extra after 330pm and an hourly rate for call. Most are making mid 400s W2 and the ones who hustle are making mid 500s. But the ones who hustle are working 60 hour weeks and lots of weekends. That's also just W2. The university pays malpractices insurance and gives a 10% retirement match. PTO, sick time, disability insurance.

Contrast this to the private jobs in town. The numbers posted are the total package. For example USAP and PAS currently have jobs posted. The numbers advertised are partner salaries, and rather than plus benefits it's minus benefits. As in here is your salary, minus retirement, minus insurance, minus overhead. Any "match" they advertise actually comes out of your salary. The academic vs private disparity is actually pretty minimal.

Here’s a job from Denver Health. 320-380k salary. So similar base. Can’t tell what the overall comp is.

I don’t think that is a fair comparison my friend haha. Let’s talk about pay during all those years you are a clinical instructor, assistant professor, associate professor.

Instructors now start at 400-450. When I was there in 1998, it was 115k which was way below market.

The regional chief completed fellowship in 2017 and is an associate clinical professor. Peds chief completed fellowship in 2012. So “all those years” is not a long time. The previous chair who stepped down in 2013 never made more than $500k. The current chair is very savvy and goes to bat for the department.

Last edited: