SDN 2008 Match Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you match?

• Yes, I matched!

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's match time again and every year I collect and post applicants' stats anonymously. Your participation provides data that are not available elsewhere and are helpful to those who follow in your footsteps!

If you matched, then remember to join the American Academy of Ophthalmology. You can contact [email protected] for more information.

Consider this article by Ruben Sanchez, MD when making your match list:
http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/articles/Sanchez-Match-Pearls.pdf

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED UNTIL AFTER MATCH DAY, JAN 17, 2008
Reminder: ranklists due by JAN 08, 2008, 12:00 PM (PST)

In addition to the poll above, if you would like to participate in the anonymous detailed listing of matched and unmatched applications (hopefully all matched on this board), then please submit a personal message to me. I'll post your stats without identification if you prefer. (Click here for 2006 SDN Match Poll).

If you send me a PM or post, then please use the template below:

--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Where invited for interviews:
--Where matched:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)

Also, several faculty and I have started Pearls in Ophthalmology, which is a newsletter for new and current residents. The purpose of the newsletter is to provide you with review articles that will help new residents get up to speed and to stimulate review for current residents. If you would like to opt into this newsletter, then please subscribe at: http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2006/12/subscribe-to-free-pearls-in.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
--Board Scores: 98
--AOA and class rank: Top 10%, AOA
--Reputation of medical school: above avg med school in the midwest, good clinical program (NOT top 25)
--Research: Lots with publications
--Honors in clerkships: Honor in Ophtho x3, Surgery, Family Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Internal Med
--# and where you did away rotations: 2
--# of programs you applied to:oops:ver 50
--Where invited for interviews: USC-Doheny, UT-Southwestern, Michigan, Yale, Case Western Reserve, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Duke, Kresge,UT-Houston, Colorado, Wake Forest, Boston, Temple, WashU, Mayo Clinic, Iowa, Stanford, UC-San Diego, Arizona
--Where matched: Mayo Clinic
--Anything that helped your app: good letters of rec I assume... never saw them, but really great people wrote them for me; unique Personal Statement; unique extracurricular that was talked about during my interviews...maybe one of those helped, or hurt, who knows

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 233/94, Step 2: not yet taken
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top 20%
--Reputation of medical school: Probably not top 25 but a solid school
--Research: No publications, worked on one project that hasn't even finished yet
--Honors in clerkships: Peds, Neuro, Psych, High passed everything else except a P in Family
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 away rotation - Denver
--# of programs you applied to: ~50
--Where invited for interviews: Denver, SLU, UMKC, KU, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-New Orleans, Texas Tech, UTSW, UTMB, UT-Houston, Kresge, MCW, Long Island (didn't go), UNC (couldn't go...offered me a spot 2 days in advance)
--Where matched: In my top 3!!
--Anything that helped your app: I had good letters, but none were from big names. I think my 2 ophtho letters sounded pretty strong (I never read them but one PD read excerpts from them to me). I think the biggest strength was just me being me. I think that I am a pretty normal, down to earth guy, a strong interviewer, I try to be extremely friendly and personable, and I smiled alot and was sincere. :) That's my best advice to people: be friendly and be yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
These are anonymous stats I received:
=============================

Board Scores: Step 1 - 242 Step 2CK - 259
--AOA and class rank: Senior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: unranked
--Research: little research with no ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Honor: medicine, FP, OB/GYN, Peds, Psych High Pass: surgery
--# of programs you applied to: 44
--Where invited for interviews: 20
--Where matched: The Ohio State University
--Anything that helped your app: Didn't have any big wig letters or publications. Just a solid all around application. Decent amount of community service.
============================
--Board Scores: Step 1: 230, Step 2: 249
--AOA and class rank: not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) unknown, bottom half most likely
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) 1 year off, 3 submitted for publication
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) Family Med, all 3 ophtho electives
--# and where you did away rotations: 3
--# of programs you applied to: 50
--Where invited for interviews: 13
--Where matched: UC Davis!!!!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) 2 big wig letters and being a nice person!!
--Board Scores: 224/92 and 244/99
--AOA and class rank: not AOA. rank unknown.
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) top 25.
--Research: some ophtho with pending, and some other pending publications, 1 year research in a different field
--Honors in clerkships: only surgery and one other. rest high pass.
--# and where you did away rotations: 3 altogether, 2 were aways but not where i matched.
--# of programs you applied to: ~45
--Where invited for interviews: ~15, went to 10
--Where matched: lower top tier / upper middle tier
--Anything that helped your app: A big-wig letter from a very nice person who really believed in me (I think that part matters) plus an additional strong ophtho letter given to them at the interview. If you sort of know what u want to do after residency, then be bold enough to bring it up in ur personal statement/interview - people who agree with ur views/ideas will love you /remember you for it. A year of research def helped for research-oriented programs, even in a different field. Definitely interview at ur favorite places last - there's a learning curve! Lastly, my advice is to NOT be discouraged from applying for ophtho by anyone or anything, but at the same time make sure you have back up plans... be realistic but optimistic through this loooong application process!
--Board Scores: 240, 240
--AOA and class rank: not AOA upper half of class
--Reputation of medical school: middle to upper tier
--Research: some ophtho with no publications, and other non ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Honors: Ophtho High Pass: OB, Surg
--# and where you did away rotations: 1
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: 22 invites, went to 14
--Where matched: Case Western
--Anything that helped your app: good letters maybe (I really don't have a clue)
--Board Scores: step 1: 246 step 2: 243
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, top 1/3
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: One trauma surgery poster, no ophtho research
--Honors in clerkships: Honor in Surgery, Med, Peds, Ophtho, neuro
--# of programs you applied to: 43
--Where invited for interviews: went to St. Louis, UVa, GW, Emory, Henry Ford, MUSC, Wake, Loma Linda, Indiana. Didn't go to BU and UNC
--Where matched: 2nd choice
--Anything that helped your app: just typical ophtho application. No thank you note/cards
--Board Scores: 242/234
--Reputation of medical school: lesser-known med school
--Research: 2 publications pending, 3 abstracts
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) Honors Ophtho (x2), Psych
--# and where you did away rotations: NYEEI, NS-LIJ, Wills
--# of programs you applied to: 60
--Where invited for interviews: Downstate, NYMC (Westchester & Brooklyn/Queens), St. Vincents, St. Lukes, NYEEI, Albert Einstein, Wills, Temple, Drexel, Georgetown, Tufts, Albany, Penn State, SUNY Upstate, Howard, Bronx-Leb, NUMC, NS-LIJ, UVA, SUNY Stonybrook.
--Where matched: Albert Einstein
--Anything that helped your app: Strong letters, Additional degree (MPH), additional research year.
Board Scores: Step 1 - 222/90 Step 2CK - 234/94
--AOA and class rank: NOT AOA/ rank unknown
--Reputation of medical school: no one has ever heard of it
--Research: 1 year basic science ophthalmology at NIH
--Honors in clerkships: Honor: OB/GYN High Pass: surgery, peds, psych, family med Pass: Medicine
--Where invited for interviews: 15
--Where matched: New York University
--Anything that helped your app: Didn't have any big wig letters, infact my school doesn't even have an ophthalmology residency program! I did however get 2 publications from my year at the NIH.
--Board Scores: 247/99 Step I, Step II not taken
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Research: 1 ophtho case report, several small ophtho pubs.
--Honors in clerkships: only surgery and medicine
--Where invited for interviews: 12
--Where matched: #2 Choice (top 5 ophthalmology program) -- was a toss up between it and what ended up being my #1
--Anything that helped your app: big-wig letter of rec, knowing people at where I matched as I did my away there.
--Board Scores: Step 1 247
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, class rank unkonwn
--Reputation of medical school: top 10
--Research: (Some non-ophtho, some ophtho with pending publication)
--Honors in clerkships: (Med., Peds, OB/Gyn, Family)
--# of programs you applied to: 30
--Where invited for interviews: (Went to) Baylor, UTSW, UT Houston, UAB, Duke, U Michigan, Iowa, Vanderbilt, UCLA, USC, Casey, Wash U
--Where matched: Duke
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: MD/PhD, great letter from Ophto)
--Board Scores: 248/99 (no Step 2 yet)
--AOA and class rank: not AOA (but I am A-OK!)
--Reputation of medical school: top 50, growing ophtho department
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) 1 non ophtho publication, 2 ophtho in preparation, 1 year research fellowship during school, at a different institution (
outside funding)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) Medicine Sub-I, both ophtho aways
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 aways in Philadelphia
--# of programs you applied to: 64
--Where invited for interviews: 35, went on 18 (Columbia, NYEEI, Yale, Vandy, Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, Albany, Cleveland Clinic, Penn, Wills, Albert Einstein, Wash U, Iowa, Oregon/Casey, CPMC, Temple, Drexel, UIC), cancelled 17 (UVA, UNC, SLU, Syracuse, Geisenger, Mt. Sinai, Utah, Oklahoma, Mayo, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Arkansas, Memphis, Minnesota, Tufts, UTSW, CWRU)
--Where matched: one of my top philly programs!!!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) I did a LOT of ophtho rotations got to know my letter writers very well. I am lucky that my ophthalmology letter writers are respected names in the field. My year out was with a fantastic mentor who made me genuinely excited about my research, which I think showed. A non-ophtho reference from my psych attending who could speak a lot about my personal qualities.
--Board Scores: Step 1: 245/99, Step 2: not yet taken
--AOA and class rank: unknown
--Reputation of medical school: top 3
--Research: 10 papers, 1 in ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in neuro, optho, medicine sub-I
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--Where invited for interviews: 20: Wilmer, Utah, Duke, Baylor, Michigan, UCLA, USC, UCSD, Bascom, Wills, Tufts, Cleveland Clinic, UW-Madison, Iowa, Casey. Could not make: UCIrvine, UCDavis, Stanford, Yale
--Where matched: UCLA!!
--Anything that helped your app: big-wig letter of rec, HHMI fellowship (research background), reputation of med school
Board Scores: Step 1: 248/99 Step 2:247/99
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, #4 in Class
--Reputation of medical school: not a top 50, but very good Ophtho department
--Research: some research, 1 ophtho paper published, abstract on the way
--Honors in clerkships: everything, except just a pass in Neurology and a high pass in Internal Medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: no aways
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 22, went on 16: UTSW, Baylor, Michigan, Bascom Palmer, UIC, Colorado, Boston, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia, University of Chicago, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Kresge, Henry Ford, UNC
--Where matched:Colorado!!!
--Anything that helped your app: Great letters of rec
--Board Scores: Step 1: 209/85 Step 2:236/98
--AOA and class rank: definitely not, bottom third
--Reputation of medical school: solid regionally, probably unknown nationally
--Research: graduate work with several projects in neurosurgery, several ophtho, several papers with a few first name author
--Honors in clerkships: ophtho x 3, high pass in surgery,medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 2, did not match at either
--# of programs you applied to:~70
--Where invited for interviews:13, went on 12 including arkansas, lsu-shreveport, lsu-ochsner, minnesota, cook county/stroger, loyola, SUNY Downstate, UMKC, kansas, nebraska, EVMS, nassau
--Where matched: top half of rank list
--Anything that helped your app:
step 2 saved my bacon :banana:, grad degree maybe helped, faculty advisor and advocate from elite program definitely helped, normal person with a sense of humor and of course :luck:
--Board Scores: 220 (89), not taken
--AOA and class rank: No AOA, top 50%
--Reputation of medical school: Unranked, large state school
--Research: none
--Honors in clerkships: Family med; HP in Med, Surg, Psych, Peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, Henry Ford
--# of programs you applied to: 56
--Where invited for interviews: HF, Beaumont, Kresge/WSU, Rush, Stroger-Cook Cty, Buffalo, SUNY Upstate, Albany, Howard, Downstate, Bronx-Lebanon, NYMC-BQ
--Where matched: Kresge
--Anything that helped your app: Strong letters, Good interview possibly?
--Board Scores: Step1 199/ Step 2 195
--Reputation of medical school: not ranked
--Research: some ophtho with publication pending (although not 1st/2nd author)
--Honors in clerkships: pediatrics
--# and where you did away rotations: 3 away rotations in southern region
--# of programs you applied to: 80
--Where invited for interviews: 5
--Where matched: middle-lower tier program
--Anything that helped your app: AOA, big wig letter plus glowing LORs from home school (according to interviewers) and worked hard at away rotations
--Board Scores: 248/put off 2CK until after the match
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 25%
--Reputation of medical school: average state school
--Research: 1 month research elective with 2 publications as co-author
--Honors in clerkships: Ophtho, Surgery, Peds, Family Medicine ("high passes" in Medicine, OB, Psych)
--# and where you did away rotations: 0
--# of programs you applied to: 55
--# of invitations to interview: 25
--# of interviews attended: 15
--interview invitations: Loyola, Northwestern, Cook County, UW Madison, MCW Milwaukee, Mayo Clinic, Temple, Drexel, BU, UMDNJ, Nassau, St. Vincent's NYC, St. Luke's NYC, VCU, EVMS, UVA, GWU, Howard, UNC, LSU/Ochsner New Orleans, UTSW Dallas, UT Houston, CU Denver, CPMC San Francisco, UC Davis.
--Where matched: Top of my list of programs, all of which I felt privileged to attend and would have been happy to join.
--Anything that helped your app: being true to myself à examples include: writing a truly personal statement, articulating clear professional goals during interviews, asking non-ophtho faculty to write strong LOR, answering questions honestly during interviews, being genuinely enthusiastic to learn about both the programs and their people during the interview days, not doing away rotations despite peers being hyper-intense about "ophtho being so competitive; you have to do aways!", focusing on peer teaching and community service projects rather than research during med school (ie. focusing on my passions, not a residency-acceptance formula), having a broad non-science academic and extracurricular background, trusting my instincts, following the sage advice in the pertinent chapters on 4th year/applications/interviewing in Jeff Wiese's The Answer Book.

--Board Scores: step 1 247
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, not top 30%
--Reputation of medical school: Big 10 school, top 30 maybe?
--Research: a little, one case report (not published), ongoing project
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, not medicine
--# of programs you applied to: 46
--Where invited for interviews: casey, colorado, michigan, UNC, Minnesota, U Chicago, WI, MCW, Rochester, Albany, Mayo, Oklahoma, Virginia, Brown, Boston U, Arkansas, UT-Memphis, South Carolina, NW)
--Anything that helped your app: being nice, good karma?

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1:245 Step 2:251
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, Ranked in top 10 out of 100ish
--Reputation of medical school: Unranked medical school
--Research: A lot of basic science and clinical ophtho with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all clerkships
--# of programs you applied to: 20
--Where invited for interviews: 11
--Where matched: Second choice, middle tier program
--Anything that helped your app: big-wig letter of recs, matched at away

--Board Scores: Step 1 246; Step 2 250
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) Middle tire ( not top 50)
--Research: Ophtho pub pending; no other publications
--Honors in clerkships: All Honors except surgery high pass
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at UC Irvine
--# of programs you applied to: around 60
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 18; I only went to 13
--Where matched: My number 1 U of Colorado :)
--Anything that helped your app: just being myself; I had some strong letters I think ( I did not read them, but a lot of people have commented on them)

--Board Scores: Step 1 : 252 Step 2: 243
--AOA and class rank: AOA, likely top 10%
--Research: International research
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, Psych, Peds, FP
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 45
--Where invited for interviews: Invited, went: Duke, UTSW, Wills, Baylor, UAB, Wake, UVA, MUSC, Emory, Pitt, Rochester, Georgetown, Maryland, So. Carolina Invited, didn't go: SUNY-Syracuse, SUNY-Buffalo, BU, Tufts, Penn State, UPenn- Scheie, MCV, EVMS, MCG, UMississippi, UTenn-Memphis, Louisville, Kentucky, U South Florida, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, Yale, UT-San Antonio
--Where matched: UT-Southwestern!!!!!!!!! (#2)
--Anything that helped your app: strong letters, one ophtho letter from well-known faculty

--Board Scores: 257/99
--AOA and class rank: Sr. AOA
--Reputation of medical school: unknown
--Research: few presentations, ARVO poster
--Honors in clerkships: all BUT medicine and surgery :oops:
--Where invited for interviews: 10
--Where matched: UC Davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--Anything that helped your app: No big wig letters, just a smile and a solid app. an interesting hobby got a lot of comments

CO-RESIDENTS PLEASE PM ME!!!!!!!!!!

--Board Scores: Step 1 239/97 Step 2 no thank you
--AOA and class rank: nope, top 40%
--Reputation of medical school: not a good rep, but I really like it!
--Research: ophtho with 4 publications. 3 in undergrad and 1 recently. All in refractive surgery
--Honors in clerkships: Surgery, Psych, OB/Gyn,
--# and where you did away rotations: 3, USC, Rush, Cook County
--Where invited for interviews: UT-Houston, UTMB- Galveston, UTSA, Texas Tech, Cook County, Univ of Virginia, St Louis U, UMiss, Wake Forest, SUNY Downstate, LSU Shreveport, Drexel. Didn't go to UMiss and Texas Tech
--Where matched: Univ of Virginia!
--Anything that helped your app: Lots of research, but at the same time it seemed like some people didn't like it was in refractive surgery. I was told I had really good letters. One from a famous refractive surgery, and one from the chair of cardiothoracic surgery. Got a lot of comments on my interest in classic cars

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1 234; Step 2 238
--Reputation of medical school: Middle tire ( not top 50)
--Research: 1 pre med publication; Ophtho ongoing research; no other publications
--Honors in clerkships: All HP, only H in Neuro and AI
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 late in the process didn't use for LOR
--# of programs you applied to: 55
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 6; went to 6
--Where matched: My number 2!!!!
--Anything that helped your app: just being myself; good letters from different faculty 2 ophtho, 1 Ob, 1 IM

--Board Scores: Step 1 256/99
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, top 30%
--Research: some ophtho publications, some non-ophtho publications
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, peds
--# and where you did away rotations: Mount Sinai and NYEEI
--# of programs you applied to: 31
--Where invited for interviews: Cornell, Wilmer, MEEI, Wills, USC, Wash U, Iowa, UCLA, Upenn, Columbia, NYU, Downstate, Mount Sinai, UMDNJ, St. Vincent's, NYMC, UVA, Nassau, Stony Brook
--Where matched: Cornell (#1)
--Anything that helped your app: MD/PhD, big wig letters

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: 260s/260s
--Reputation of medical school: Probably bottom of barrel
--Research: 3 published ophtho papers
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, OB, Peds, FP
--# and where you did away rotations: Columbia, Cornell
--# of programs you applied to: 41
--Where invited for interviews: 30 - motley mix of top, mid, bottom tier programs
--Where matched: second choice (top 10 program)
--Anything that helped your app: Boards scores probably got me in the door, medical school reputation made it difficult to get some interviews in retrospect. Great letters of recommendation in optho and medicine (probably greatest impact), along with ophtho research which has a fair impact and gives interviewers something to talk about. Having spent time in the past involved in non-medicine things showing range of experience. I think it would have been helpful to have a letter of rec from someone in the retina, because the chair is usually a retina person and from speaking w/ other applicants.

--Board Scores: Step 1 227/92, Step 2 continuing to avoid
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top third
--Reputation of medical school: Top 50
--Research: several published ophtho papers, some non-ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, OB, Peds, Ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations: Columbia, NYEEI
--# of programs you applied to: 35
--Where invited for interviews: Cornell, Columbia, NYEEI, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Downstate, Einstein, St. Vincent's, Tufts, BU, Yale, Doheny, Wilmer, U Maryland
--Where matched: Columbia!
--Anything that helped your app: Great letters of recommendation from ophtho bigwigs, extra year of research supported by a nice fellowship. Doing an away rotation.

--Board Scores: Step 1 252/99, Step 2 256/99
--AOA and class rank: Unknown
--Reputation of medical school: Top 10
--Research: Basic science and clinical, a few submitted clinical papers, 1 publication
--Honors in clerkships: Nearly all
--# of programs you applied to: 30 – mix of high, mid, and low-tier
--Where invited for interviews: 25, attended 12
--Where matched: #1 choice (Top 5 ophtho program)
--Anything that helped your app: Med school reputation, letters of rec. Make sure you pick letter writers who know you well AND are nice people! Don’t opt for an empty letter by a famous person who doesn’t even remember your name…

--Board Scores:225 / 225
--AOA and class rank: Nope, Top 25%
--Reputation of medical school: Mediocre
--Research: No ophtho-related
--Honors in clerkships: Ophthox2, Psych, Peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, UT-Houston
--Where invited for interviews: 9
--Where matched: Loyola-Chicago (1st choice)
--Anything that helped your app: Being devastatingly handsome, Strong recc letter from home dept chair, Life experience, MS degree, Being a real live person who can speak intelligently about sports & is willing to have a beer on the weekends

--Board Scores: Step 1 239/97, Step 2 Not taken
--AOA and class rank: Unknown
--Reputation of medical school: Caribbean
--Research: Basic science, 3 Publications, 2 ARVO posters, 1 AAO poster
--Honors in clerkships: All except medicine
--# of programs you applied :99
--Where invited for interviews: 6 (LSU-Shreveport, SUNY-Upstate, Nassau, MCV, UVA, St. Vincent's)
--Where matched: #1 choice
--Anything that helped your app: Performing well during away rotations (presented at grand rounds, took q3 call, came early and stayed late, basically worked hard and was a team player), letters of rec - opt for those who know you and can write a strong rec, prior optometrist
--Things that hurt: being foreign, needing a VISA. Nonetheless, perseverance and learning to play to application game goes a long way. Also, I can't stress this enough - attitude and how you treat/work with others (colleagues & patients) is #1

--Anything that helped your app: Being devastatingly handsome, Strong recc letter from home dept chair, Life experience, MS degree, Being a real live person who can speak intelligently about sports & is willing to have a beer on the weekends

HA! That's funny! Congrats dude...

Board Scores:Step 1 231/ Step 2 247
--AOA and class rank: Don't know. Not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Unranked
--Research: I year non optho research post undergrad, other small research projects
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all except Surgery
--# and where you did away rotations:1 at UAB
--# of programs you applied to:46
--Where invited for interviews:UAB, Emory, CPMC, Boston U, Mt Sinai, Bronx-Lebanon, Howard U, LSU-Shreveport, UMKC
--Where matched:Boston U! My number 2!
--Anything that helped your app: Big wig letter i think

--Board Scores:step 1 233/94; step 2 CK i'm studying i promise; step 2 CS PASS (there's $1000 i'll never get back)
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, not even close
--Reputation of medical school: robert wood who? yeah that's what i thought (there goes my anonymity)
--Research: undergrad first author publication in an eye development lab, autism research summer after first year, some ongoing ophtho research projects, no arvo at least not yet
--Honors in clerkships: only surgery and ophtho electives, hp everything else
--# and where you did away rotations:3 - umdnj, brown, memorial sloan kettering - i heart dr. a
--# of programs you applied to: 54
--Where invited for interviews: 10 (though i'm still holding out ;)) - univ louisville, mount sinai, vandy, umdnj, ut san antonio, drexel, brown, georgetown, howard, beaumont
--Where matched: georgetown top 3 - pm me baby
--Anything that helped your app: a beautiful smile, an infectious laugh (maybe i shoulda done this before the champagne kick - oh well) - no seriously we don't have an ophtho program at my school (and yet 11 people matched - how awesome is that!) so no on the big wig letters, and i didn't match at my aways (by choice), so i don't know was someone at the sf match feeling generous? is my match forever indebted to robert wood johnson (just google it for the love of god) who knows.... don't question fate, just go with it. Cheers!

It was so nice to meet all you incredible future colleagues on the interview trail. Okay, now where's everybody all going? Who's going to be in LA?? PM me!

------------
--Board Scores: Step 1 - 235 (95), Step 2 CK/CS: not taken
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 25%
--Reputation of medical school: middle tier
--Research: 2 ophtho papers in peer-review (one for Cornea, the other for JRCS), 2 more pending, 3 ARVO abstracts. 3 presentations at conferences (including Academy meeting and ASCRS). 1 internal medicine paper (presented at society of general internal medicine).
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in Med, Peds, and Ophtho (x2). shelf exams screwed me of honors in everything else :)shakes fist: )
--# of programs you applied to: 65
--Where invited for interviews: 22, confirmed and went to 17: Michigan, Mayo, UCSF, UIC, Albany Medical College, Univ of Minnesota, Henry Ford, Loma Linda, Wills, Loyola, Northwestern, Rush, St. Louis, County/Stroger, Summa, UMKC, Univ of South Carolina.
--Where matched: Northwestern! (loved the faculty and facilities and wanted to be in Chicago)
--Anything that helped your app: research in hot fields (DSAEK, etc), bigwig letter, multiple languages (5, everyone asked during interviews), philosophical/metaphysical personal statement (surprised that people read it and were interested by it), undergrad degrees in humanities, and ability to talk about any sport with interviewers (male interviewers love sports),

Anyone else at NU, PM me please!

--Board Scores: Step1: 237/96 Step2: Not Taken
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, middle third
--Research: pending ophtho publication
--Honors in clerkships: Surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 (neither at Wilmer)
--# of programs you applied to: 47
--Where invited for interviews: 25 programs (UTSW, Baylor, Wilmer, Wills, Tufts, Cornell, NYEE, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, CPMC, Mt. Sinai)
--Where matched: Wilmer
--Anything that helped your app: big-wig letters of rec from people who know you well and can speak strongly about you (the more ophtho letters the better), lots of leadership experience, being down-to-earth and interesting to talk to, great international experiences.

-Board Scores: 255
--AOA and class rank: senior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 25ish
--Research: some pubs premed school, non-ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, psych, FP, Ob/Gyn, Medicine, neuro
--# and where you did away rotations:1
--# of programs you applied to:~40
--Where invited for interviews: went on 15
--Where matched:Emory
--Anything that helped your app: not sure; maybe my letters but not from big wigs. Interesting life experiences?

Board Scores:step 1 215/89; step 2 maybe before I graduate
--AOA and class rank: Wish I knew, but definitely not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Who knows. I've never heard of it before I went there.
--Research: Some crap research in other fields
--Honors in clerkships: only surgery and away electives. HP medicine and just passed everything else
--# of programs you applied to: 100 (yeah a lot huh?) Hey but it worked
--Where invited for interviews: 7 all over the country
--Where matched: #4 choice
--Anything that helped your app: Having spectacular LOR. I had some world class ones. Cause there's no way I should have matched otherwise. Just look at my stats. Step 1's lower than the national average? It's all about the LOR. Having strange interests like spurlunking or diving helped to get people interested in you. For those on the cusp like me apply with a shotgun approach.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 249 Step 2: 248
--AOA and class rank: top 20%, no AOA
--Reputation of medical school: maybe top 60 ;)
--Research: 1 ophtho paper, many ARVO presentations
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all except HP in Medicine, Psych & Neuro
--Where invited for interviews: invited on 16, went on 12
--Where matched: Top 10 program
--Anything that helped your app: MD/PhD, great LORs

--Board Scores: Step 1: 243 Step 2: Taken after interviews
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, probably top 20%
--Reputation of medical school: Top 25
--Research: 1 non-ophtho paper, one crap ophtho project pending
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all, except high pass in Medicine & Ob/Gyn (hate!)
--Where invited for interviews: Invited for 22, went to 16
--Where matched: #3 choice
--Anything that helped your app: Outside interests and life experience. I think being a generally well rounded person helps a lot, especially on the interviews. Involved in a few unique long-term volunteer / community service projects. I had very good letters, but school has smaller ophtho dept, so no chance for "big-wig" letter

--Board Scores: 252(99), 259 (99)
--Research: ARVO poster, some previous non-ophtho. stuff.
--Honors in clerkships: All except medicine and psychiatry
--# and where you did away rotations: One
--# of programs you applied to:44
--Where invited for interviews: ~25 (good mix of top, middle, and low tier)
--Where matched: Top 3 program
--Anything that helped your app: Good letters (not earth shatteringly good, but one was from well known faculty member), research (wouldn't have matched where I did without this), being genuine in my interviews. Didn't go to quite a few pre-interview dinners, Didn't go overboard with thank you notes. Advice: Don't go on too many interviews. If you are a solid candidate there is very little chance you will fall to your fourteenth rank list choice. Also, be careful how you portray yourself on your application. BE HONEST about everything. They want real people and not a fake "perfect" candidate. :cool:

--Board Scores: Step 1: 248/99 Step 2: 258/99 (not reported to ophtho programs)
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top 25%
--Reputation of medical school: Top 40 (a big State U)
--Research: 1 paper in Peds (first-authored; presented at big conference), two ongoing Ophtho projects
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in Ob/Gyn (surprisingly), Ambulatory, Ophtho; Letters/High Pass in Psych, Neuro, IM, Surgery; Pass in Peds
--Where invited for interviews: Invited for 14, attended 7 [outright rejections: 18; waitlist rejections: 2; never heard a peep from: 11]
--Where matched: #1 choice (highly regarded East Coast program)
--Anything that helped your app: Slightly older applicant with a variety of interests, influences and experiences. One transcendent letter from a respected ophtho. I felt like my idiosyncrasies jibed with my interviewers' at several places. I'm a very lucky chap. I still can't believe I matched where I did. If you engage in this process, you'll be humbled, surprised, disconsolate, elated, taken aback, thrown for a loop....and so on in this manner. [Platitude alert] Keep your head up and be yourself. You'll find the place that best fits you.

--Board Scores:step1 99
--Reputation of medical school: middle of the road
--Research: none, zero, zip, didn't even think about it
--Honors in clerkships: ob, med, psych, surg
--# of programs you applied to:5
--Where invited for interviews:4
--Where matched:suicide to TTU. Only went to the other to see what they were like. Would have gone into anesthesia/pain if not matched ;)

--Board Scores: step 1 - 238/99; step 2 - who knows when i'll take that now
--AOA and class rank: 42%/not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) 50's
--Research: some ophtho with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: ophtho, neuro-ophth, derm (shelfs prevented any real honors)
--# of programs you applied to: 67 (umm definitely applied to places i had NO shot at)
--Where invited for interviews: 6 (4 initially, then emailed/called program coordinators and got two more) - mcg, musc, uva, summa health system, einstein, drexel
--Where matched: albert einstein (#1 choice, i was shocked)
--Anything that helped your app: performing very well on interviews - be the normal, fun, likeable guy who constantly smiles and cracked a few jokes during interviews; honestly believe that did it for me as i was told by a few programs that i interviewed well; einstein was last interview so i had some practice already; one great surgery LOR + two ophtho LORs; submitted one extra LOR to places I interview at; as you notice, nothing special about my application except decent step I.

--Board Scores: Step 1 229/93, Step 2 232/94
--Reputation of medical school: average (not ranked but respected east coast school)
--Research: Basic science research year, 2 first author publications, several other pubs, posters, and presentations. only one of these directly in ophthalmology.
--Honors in clerkships: 7/9 and all H in ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations: 3: 2 big names and one small, no home rotation in ophtho.
--# of programs you applied to: 45 (felt stupidly excessive but helped i think mostly because you can't predict so well where interview offers come from)
--Where invited for interviews: 26 and went on 12 (Hopkins, UPenn, UCSF, CPMC, Stanford, Davis, UW, U Colorado, U Utah, UCSD, Columbia, BU)
--Where matched: #2 choice at a top west coast program
--Anything that helped your app: Having interesting educational and personal background, presented new discovery at grand rounds, wonderful rec letters from well-known people i did one-one clerkships with (WAY better than formal ones for many reasons, best that you work with someone who gets to know you very well), research fellowship year, multiple publications, knowing people!!, and genuine enthusiasm
--Things that hurt: not being from med school with big reputation (generally not a big deal but helps to have big name school) knowing people too well

i found these stats pages so helpful when i applied. good luck to you all.

Jill Hartle from the AAO e-mailed me and confirmed that AAO Membership forms will be mailed to everyone who matches after they receive the information from SF Match.

This is what she said:

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:46 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Future Resident Ophthalmologists

"Hi Andy, I got a great response to your posting regarding free membership for the match folks. Unfortunately, you were a bit ahead of us. We have not yet received the Match information so we have not been able to input the information into our database to begin communicating with these guys. We will respond to the 10 docs who emailed me and plan to get an email out to the entire Match group as soon as possible. It would be great if you could put something out again about this in a couple of months. Thanks for your help. The enthusiasm about the AAO is great! -- Jill"

--Board Scores:step 1 220 (i know!!:p) STEP 2 260
--AOA and class rank: unknown
--Reputation of medical school: average
--Research: ophtho publications :)(x2)
--Honors in clerkships: none
--# and where you did away rotations:1 where matched
--# of programs you applied to:60
--Where invited for interviews:ny mostly, some nj and pa
--Where matched:my 2nd choice:D
--Anything that helped your app: step 2 score and LOR`s, publications helped too

I would like to congrat all of my future coleages and wish them a happy residency and I hope we all survive internship.... I am already dreading it!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way where do you think the best transitional programs are in the north east ( good experience-somewhat cush??

--Board Scores: Step 1: 237, Step 2: not yet taken
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Solid state school
--Research: 1 publication (Cornea, not 1st author), 1 ARVO poster
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Neuro, Psych, FP, OBgyn
--# and where you did away rotations: 2: UTSW, Loyola
--# of programs you applied to: ~40
--Where invited for interviews: (went on 13/17) UTSW, UTH, UTSA, Baylor, Emory, Tufts, Colorado, Loyola, UIC, UChicago, UMKC, UNC, Oklahoma
--Where matched: my #1 (where I didn't do an away)
--Anything that helped your app: Research (most schools asked about it), I only had 1 ophtho letter, but all three letters were solid, I'm pretty avg on paper, but I think being myself during away rotations and interviews helped - I'm outgoing and friendly and knew my research well.

Advice I would give applicants - things are pretty regional, so doing away rotations lets programs know you're interested in getting out of your region. Most of my interviews were south and midwest for a reason I think.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 218, Step 2: 245
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, no ranks at my med school
--Reputation of medical school: Top 20 school (closer to the "20")
--Research: Worked in R&D in engineering at a major company for 1 year, 2 first author publications, 1 other pub. National conference posters and presentations (non-ophtho). Only one paper in ophthalmology.
--Honors in clerkships: General Surgery Clerkship, Surgical Subspecialty Clerkship, all H in Ophtho.
--# of programs you applied to: 76
--Where invited for interviews: (went on 7/8) GWU, Temple, MedCollGeorgia, UTSW, Pittsburgh, CaseWestern, NYMC
--Where matched: my #1 (where I didn't do an away)
--Anything that helped your app: Research/engineering bkrnd (most schools asked about it), 2 ophtho letters, but I think all 3 were pretty good. I was not AOA but I high passed and honored all clerkships. I have an interesting research project but not a ton of publications. I do a lot of community service (including 3 international experiences), and leadership. I'm friendly and knew my research well. My community and international experiences were also well-received. I bombed step 1 but my step 2 score made up for it enough to allow me a first choice match at a wonderful program. My step 1 score made top programs unattainable, I believe. I knew that, but I went for it anyway, and it was expensive but if you don't try you never know.

Advice I would give applicants - Away rotations not critical. I prefered to do international electives and my med school limits away electives. Do an away rotation if you have a dream program. I got interviews all over the place, no regional pattern. I am from the West, but got no interviews out there. I go to school in the Midwest and got 1 interview there (except my own medical school). Take Step 2 early if you need to, & don't if you don't. Don't be scared by a low Step 1! If you have iffy numbers, apply to more programs (like me), & don't if you don't.

it seems like the trend this year is to list "my #1" or "my #4" under the "where you matched" area. why is that?

be proud of where you matched! =]

it seems like the trend this year is to list "my #1" or "my #4" under the "where you matched" area. why is that?

I agree, also could one specify authorship (first, second) when listing publications. Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. The whole point of this thing, as I see it, is to give people an idea of where they should apply, and are likely to match with their stats/achievements.

I was thinking the same thing. The whole point of this thing, as I see it, is to give people an idea of where they should apply, and are likely to match with their stats/achievements.

agreed...this doesnt help people so much knowing that it was a #1 choice if the person has no interest in the program (or LOTS of interest)...that's why Dr. Doan has the option to let y'all post anonymously if you wanna stay anonymous (and give us more info) :)

agreed...this doesnt help people so much knowing that it was a #1 choice if the person has no interest in the program (or LOTS of interest)...that's why Dr. Doan has the option to let y'all post anonymously if you wanna stay anonymous (and give us more info) :)
I believe the issue lies in the fact that most programs list out their residents and where they went to school. This obviously cuts the anonimity down considerably as you can then probably match the person to their SDN profile. Realistically though, would people take the time to do this - probably not.

I believe the issue lies in the fact that most programs list out their residents and where they went to school. This obviously cuts the anonimity down considerably as you can then probably match the person to their SDN profile. Realistically though, would people take the time to do this - probably not.

And even if they did, does it really matter? I can't really see why someone would mind losing their anonymity on SDN. I guess if you had a bonehead question or a rant, but then you could just post under another nickname :)

--Board Scores: 99,99
--Reputation of medical school: State School
--Research: some pending pubs in radiology
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, medicine, OB, psych
--# and where you did away rotations: none, just rotated at home program
--Where invited for interviews: Iowa, Miami, Wills, Colorado, OU, Texas A&M, UTSW, MUSC, UIC, Baylor, UT-Memphis, U Florida, Arkansas, Wake Forest, Virginia
--Where matched: OU (top choice)
--Anything that helped your app: Letters of recommendation from attendings that knew me well, undergrad major (Chemical Engineering)

Last edited:
--Board Scores: 249/99 Step 1, (Step 2 taken after the match - 257/99)
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA
--Research: 1 pending publication
--Clerkships: Ophtho x 2 (regular student rotation + 1 research elective)
--# and where you did away rotations: No away rotations
--# of programs you applied to:53
--# of interviews gone to: 13
--Where matched: Cole Eye / Cleveland Clinic (1st choice)
--Anything that helped your app:
Good letters of rec I guess.
Interested in academic career & come from an academic family.
Undergrad major (electrical engineering). Significant career as an engineer, including working through first couple yrs of med school.

--Board Scores: Step 1 266
--AOA and class rank: AOA, top 5%
--Research: 3 non-ophtho publications and a few ophtho posters and on-going projects
--Honors in clerkships: all but Psych
--# of programs you applied to: 39
--Where invited for interviews: 27
--Interviews attended: 14 = UT Southwestern, Johns Hopkins, Baylor, Loyola, Univ. of Michigan, Northwestern, Washington Univ., Vanderbilt, Emory, Maryland, UCLA, UCSF, Univ. of Washington, Cleveland Clinic
--Where matched: UT Southwestern (my 1st choice)
--Anything that helped your app: having fun on the interview trail, Chairman's letter, prior to medical school work experience