Need Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear to whom it may concern,

What does one do who is a US medical grade in 2005" Had barley passing USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores after 2 attempts each, had 8 months of residency experience in family medicine which went bad but, want to continue with family medicine. I am currently studying to take and hopefully pass step 3 in March.

I have good clinical skill and great professionalism with patients and co-workers alike. I am a bi-racial African American and have not been getting any luck with ERAS 2008. I had 4 interviews total out of 78 total programs applied too. The interviews I had, letters state "you make a great resident", "I would be great to work with you", "we will give your application serious attention"...etc but when it came to 2nd look all but one suggested it would be a waste of my time(meaning, not going to be ranked).

I am 38 years of age, married with two wonderful daughters. It has taken me years to get to this point. Do I walk away from it all and start a new career or keep trying? I was considering about applying to a Canadian family residency program.

I love medicine, and it has always been a dream of mine to engage in patient care as a practicing physician. However, I am very disenchanted about the politics involved in medicine just to find a program that would have been relatively easy to get into 20 years ago. What the hell do I do?????

Eric

Members don't see this ad.

I would suspect that a lot of the issues have to do with the fact that you completed only 8 months of residency, something went "bad," and you are trying to get back into the same field. Sounds to me like there are some red flags in your application that are making PDs wary. If that is so, you need to confront this head on and convince people (actively) that whatever happened in the past is in the past and you are not going to make the same mistakes again. Perhaps this is what they are looking for. There are also plenty of programs in FM that do not fill in the match, and the scramble could be an option.

Dear to whom it may concern,

What does one do who is a US medical grade in 2005" Had barley passing USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores after 2 attempts each, had 8 months of residency experience in family medicine which went bad but, want to continue with family medicine. I am currently studying to take and hopefully pass step 3 in March.

I have good clinical skill and great professionalism with patients and co-workers alike. I am a bi-racial African American and have not been getting any luck with ERAS 2008. I had 4 interviews total out of 78 total programs applied too. The interviews I had, letters state "you make a great resident", "I would be great to work with you", "we will give your application serious attention"...etc but when it came to 2nd look all but one suggested it would be a waste of my time(meaning, not going to be ranked).

I am 38 years of age, married with two wonderful daughters. It has taken me years to get to this point. Do I walk away from it all and start a new career or keep trying? I was considering about applying to a Canadian family residency program.

I love medicine, and it has always been a dream of mine to engage in patient care as a practicing physician. However, I am very disenchanted about the politics involved in medicine just to find a program that would have been relatively easy to get into 20 years ago. What the hell do I do?????

Eric

In a previous thread you mentioned you managed to scramble into an FM program and you were set to start on June 2006:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=272991

Then in December of 2006 you stated that your residency program was going to dismiss you for academic issues:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=351008

You never replied to the last thread, so we don't know what happened. Since there are 6 months between June and December 2006 and you state you have 8 months experience in FM we can assume that you were dismissed from your program in February 2007.

Now yesterday (January 2008) you're posting this. Does this mean that you've done nothing for a whole year after being dismissed from an FM program in early 2007? What happened to the $269,000 in debt that you said you have? Did you work after you were dismissed?

Anyway, if you're applying via ERAS 2008 good luck and I hope you finally reach your goals. However, although yaah's advice is good, given your past history (if true) I think you have a very, very hard road ahead, and it would be very wise if you also started to consider different career options in case medicine doesn't work out for you.

I just want to comment on the Canadian residency idea. You cannot match in Canada unless you are a Can citizen or permanent resident. In addition, there is another set of licensing exams you need to start taking (you are already much too late for the 2008 match). Canadian FM residency is not a last-ditch easier-to-get-into option.

Now yesterday (January 2008) you're posting this. Does this mean that you've done nothing for a whole year after being dismissed from an FM program in early 2007?

I was about to post those same threads! I remember the OP's original threads for a while back...

I also have to ask, what have you been doing the past 12 months? I'm assuming you applied for the 2007 Match as well but were unsucessful - in the meantime, where you working anywhere? Moonlighting? Have you passed Step 3 yet?

I was about to post those same threads! I remember the OP's original threads for a while back...

Yup, I remembered those too. We were all rooting for him.

FirstMANdown, I doubt the advice you receive on this thread is going to be much different from the good advice you got in your previous threads.