Can't use one of my parent's tax data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ok so I know that while parents' tax data isn't necessary for basic federal loans, most schools require parent info to be considered for additional aid. But what if you can only give your mother's info because your parents are divorced and your father is estranged and won't communicate with you? Would schools still consider you eligible for other aid?

Members don't see this ad.

From everything that I have been told, if you don't provide all of the info they ask for then you won't be considered for the institutional aid, regardless of the reason. This, obviously, may vary greatly from school to school, so you should explain your situation to your financial aid office and see what they say.

I have heard of people getting waivers from submitting some information in situations like this. As mentioned above, it is up to the individual school, though. Submit what you can and contact the schools to let them know what's going on. I suspect most schools will be willing to work with you in some way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of people getting waivers from submitting some information in situations like this. As mentioned above, it is up to the individual school, though. Submit what you can and contact the schools to let them know what's going on. I suspect most schools will be willing to work with you in some way.

Thanks, I really hope so. I'd hate for something stupid like that to limit my available aid.

Thanks, I really hope so. I'd hate for something stupid like that to limit my available aid.

I know this sounds bad but could you just say that your father is dead? This would avoid any problems with financial aid. You would be able to get scholarships, grants, ect. That is unless they look for his death certificate...

I know this sounds bad but could you just say that your father is dead? This would avoid any problems with financial aid. You would be able to get scholarships, grants, ect. That is unless they look for his death certificate...
I'm sure you sign a statement saying that everything that you have reported is true to the best of your knowledge. Committing fraud is not a good way to start off your career as a healthcare professional.

I don't know if you still need help with this topic, but generally only the custodial parent (aka your mom) needs to list his/her information on the FAFSA and the individual institution's application. Again, like people have mentioned, this may depend on the school. I am in your situation and have already called some schools. If you are filling applications for UCSF, UCSD, or UM, only the custodial parent needs to be listed on the FAFSA. However, UCSF requires the noncustodial parent to submit a form via the CollegeBoard profile. If you cannot provide this information, you are required to talk to their FA office.

I don't know if you still need help with this topic, but generally only the custodial parent (aka your mom) needs to list his/her information on the FAFSA and the individual institution's application. Again, like people have mentioned, this may depend on the school. I am in your situation and have already called some schools. If you are filling applications for UCSF, UCSD, or UM, only the custodial parent needs to be listed on the FAFSA. However, UCSF requires the noncustodial parent to submit a form via the CollegeBoard profile. If you cannot provide this information, you are required to talk to their FA office.

Thank you very much. I emailed my top 2 choices to which I've been accepted (neither are ones you listed) but got no replies. I'll probably call them on monday.

I filled out my FAFSA (but haven't yet submitted) and I recall that after I said my parents were divorced, I think it just let me pick which parent I was using, not requiring or even prompting me for the other one. But I may be mistaken.

Thank you very much. I emailed my top 2 choices to which I've been accepted (neither are ones you listed) but got no replies. I'll probably call them on monday.

I filled out my FAFSA (but haven't yet submitted) and I recall that after I said my parents were divorced, I think it just let me pick which parent I was using, not requiring or even prompting me for the other one. But I may be mistaken.

That's correct. The online fafsa will only let you fill out the financial info of one parent (your custodial parent) if your parents are divorced. Most schools then require your non-custodial parent to fill out another form specific to their school.

That's correct. The online fafsa will only let you fill out the financial info of one parent (your custodial parent) if your parents are divorced. Most schools then require your non-custodial parent to fill out another form specific to their school.

I see. Would these schools contact me with these forms after I've submitted my FAFSA?

I see. Would these schools contact me with these forms after I've submitted my FAFSA?
I don't think they will contact you. You should check the financial aid websites of the schools. Many of the forms are posted. There should also be instructions specifically for students with divorced parents. If not, you should contact the finaid offices. Hope this helps! I've been trying to figure this stuff out myself.

I think you'll be ok. Wait to see what your schools say but in general you can appeal to not submit a parent's info. But you usually have to be able to somehow convince a committee that your father is actually estranged.