List parents on FAFSA or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsme87123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm 23 years old and recently have been accepted to medical school! That has also made me start worrying about tuition and loans.

My parents are upper middle class and I've never qualified in the past for need based aid. On my FAFSA, I know that I no longer have to include my parents, but I also heard from an admissions rep that to be considered for need based aid, I must include my parents information. Last year, I only made about $2000 from working as a medical assistant.

I'm wondering if it would be more advantageous for me not list my parents or to list my parents on the FAFSA. I do have a call scheduled with my schools financial aid office, but was just looking if anyone had some quick insights here in the meantime. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

To be considered for the Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) program and a few others, you must include parents' info on the FAFSA. HPSL is subsidized (interest free) while in school and during a 12-month grace period. Interest rate fixed at 5% when in repayment and there are no loan fees. HPSL is better than the Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS programs.

Reactions: 1 user
To be considered for the Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) program and a few others, you must include parents' info on the FAFSA. HPSL is subsidized (interest free) while in school and during a 12-month grace period. Interest rate fixed at 5% when in repayment and there are no loan fees. HPSL is better than the Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS programs.
Oh great! This helps so much. I've only been hearing about Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans.

My parents are middle class and I've never qualified for need based programs, but thanks so much for telling me about the HPSL program.

It seems like there is no disadvantage to listing my parents on the FAFSA... is that correct? Even if the situation is my parents make a good salary and I only made like under 5k while in school last year? Since my parents won't be helping me out, I'm just looking at what to do so I get the most amount of financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh great! This helps so much. I've only been hearing about Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans.

My parents are middle class and I've never qualified for need based programs, but thanks so much for telling me about the HPSL program.

It seems like there is no disadvantage to listing my parents on the FAFSA... is that correct? Even if the situation is my parents make a good salary and I only made like under 5k while in school last year? Since my parents won't be helping me out, I'm just looking at what to do so I get the most amount of financial aid.
There are no disadvantages to listing parents' information on the FAFSA. It's used to determine HPSL eligibility, not Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans.

Reactions: 2 users
There are no disadvantages to listing parents' information on the FAFSA. It's used to determine HPSL eligibility, not Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans.
Thanks so much for clarifying!

Have you heard of anyone getting an exception? My mom hasn't filed taxes for the past 3 years, and my dad has gone even longer... 😢

I don’t think HPSL is a thing for MD/DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think HPSL is a thing for MD/DO schools.
MD schools have Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students (SDS), Primary Care Loan (PCL), and Loans for Disadvantaged Students (LDS) with similar criteria as HPSL.

Reactions: 1 users