Med School FAFSA Parental Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBrown23

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out on this.

As I understand it medical students are considered "independent" and as such do not require parental information. I understand that I can get sufficient loans for my education without even submitting their information.

Some schools ask for this information in order to be considered for other aid. My parents are high-earners, and I would certainly not qualify for any need-based aid. As I understand it though the school I will be attending has additional aid options beyond need-based aid but still requires parental information to be considered for it.

I never intended to ask my parents to fill this out as they strongly dislike doing it. Is it worth asking them?

Additionally, my parents are concerned that by providing their information that they would be guaranteeing or co-signing the loans that I take out, is this true? If so I wouldn't want to ask them. By them filling out this information does it affect their credit or place any potential obligations on them?

Thank you for any information you might be able to provide! I am the first in my family to pursue any higher education, so I am lost when it comes to many of these things!

Members don't see this ad.

No, as you said, your loans are your own from the federal government. The school may have lower interest loans or scholarships they provide to students who would be unable to have any parental financial support due to the socioeconomic status.

Up to you if you want to make them go through the effort of providing the information. Current students and the school itself would be the best source of info on what kind of institutional aid they provide and how many seem to receive it.