Do dental schools get the percentile??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my DAT on jan 31 and got some lousy percentiles to go with my standard scores. i want to fax my score in but the percentiles are preventing me from hitting the send button...

do the dental schools receive the percentiles when ada sends in the official score and do they even matter if my scores are in the 20-22 range??

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that on the score sheet they print out/give to you right after you finish the test, it says that only the scores are sent to the schools, not the percentiles. Plus, when you go to fill out your application on AADSAS, under the DAT score section, you only enter in the two-digit number for the score.

dental schools will get the same sheet you got from the prometric center. They do get your percentiles. I haven't heard of them looking at it because i think they focus on your actual scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, they dont get the percentile.
"The results are reported to dental schools in terms of standard scores rather than raw scores or percentile equivalents. Through the use of standard scores it is possible to compare the performance of one examinee with the performance of all examinees."

This is from http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_examinee_guide_2008.pdf

I took my DAT on jan 31 and got some lousy percentiles to go with my standard scores. i want to fax my score in but the percentiles are preventing me from hitting the send button...

do the dental schools receive the percentiles when ada sends in the official score and do they even matter if my scores are in the 20-22 range??

Percentile have little or no relevance. DS are not particularly interested in how you did compared to your sub group. They are interested in how you did compared to the national pool of applicants.

They dont get the percentile. They just receive your scores.

The schools know from past experience approximately what the percentiles are for each section for a given score.

For example:
Scores in the mid teens -> average perf (50-65 percentile)
Scores in the high teens -> above ave perf, (65-75 percentile)
Scores in the 20's -> top 10-15% of the applicant pool

When a given school is reading through 3000 apps, they will see thousands of people with scores in the high teens or lower. But, they will only see a few hundred people with scores consistently in the 20's.

If you have scores it the mid teens, the d-schools don't need a percentile sheet to know that you had an average performance.