How do dental schools evaluate the PAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dachshund22

Reaction score
I know the important of the AA but the PAT is not included in the average. So I am wondering how dental school adcoms view a 21+ PAT score as an indicator of success if they seem to value AA more than any other part.

Members don't see this ad.

A 21+ PAT score is a solid score. I’m not sure if they use it as a means of success but it does show that you are able to problem solve and be able to look at an object and mentally orient it in such a way to find an answer. Which is an aspect of dentistry that is important. I think a combination of PAT and solid displays of manual dexterity give schools confidence that you will be able to learn the minute details and procedures that dentist’s are required to do

Reactions: 1 user
I know the important of the AA but the PAT is not included in the average. So I am wondering how dental school adcoms view a 21+ PAT score as an indicator of success if they seem to value AA more than any other part.
The PAT addresses your spatial ability. It's generally taken very seriously as spatial ability is not always evident in an application, and it is extremely important to succeed in dentistry/dental education.

Dentistry is more than just acquisition of knowledge. It's about visualizing three-dimensional problems from two-dimensional views. Then there's being able not to make a mistake when the error is not more than a millimeter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances. A 21 out of 30 is considered a good score on the DAT Exam, but it may not be enough for certain programs. Generally, the higher your PAT score, the better you'll look when applying to dental schools. However, some programs place less emphasis on the PAT than others, so you should still consider the specific requirements of the program before making a decision. Additionally, even if your PAT score is not as high as you would like, other aspects of your application may be strong enough to make up for it. Ultimately, you should seek advice from a dental admissions expert who can assess your entire profile and provide personalized guidance on how best to proceed. With the right information and support, you can maximize your chances of getting accepted into a dental school program.

The PAT addresses your spatial ability. It's generally taken very seriously as spatial ability is not always evident in an application, and it is extremely important to succeed in dentistry/dental education.

Dentistry is more than just acquisition of knowledge. It's about visualizing three-dimensional problems from two-dimensional views. Then there's being able not to make a mistake when the error is not more than a millimeter.
I personally have a 23 in both AA and the PAT score so I am not concerned about having one part outbalance the other. I ask because I am still not sure how much weight is placed on a good PAT score to separate two candidates with the same AA/TS.

I personally have a 23 in both AA and the PAT score so I am not concerned about having one part outbalance the other. I ask because I am still not sure how much weight is placed on a good PAT score to separate two candidates with the same AA/TS.
AA is calculated from the TS the last time I checked, so I question the assumption.

Holistic review too... it's just part of a whole file screening.