*** - USC School of Dentistry - Class of 2012 - ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems as though the class is starting to take shape and I think it’s about time for this. We can use the thread to get in touch, and discuss upcoming matters for life as a D1!

There also seems to be quite a bit of people still trying to make the cut with plenty of questions regarding the interview and admissions in general. Feel free to ask away here. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Let me know if any of you have any questions!

how soon do you find out after interviews, whether you got in or not? I interviewed on Feb. 8th.

Members don't see this ad :)
how soon do you find out after interviews, whether you got in or not? I interviewed on Feb. 8th.

I can’t comment specifically on that since I had a pre Dec 1st interview that throws off that sort of timing. However, I would recommend dissecting last years class on predents.com. Look at the people who were accepted post Jan, and then look at their profile to see when they interviewed. This will give you the best idea.

I can't wait for the fall. LA is going to be sweet! Go trojans! Any ideas for married housing?

I can't wait for the fall. LA is going to be sweet! Go trojans! Any ideas for married housing?

Alright… We got another! I know of a few other future Trojans out there lurking these boards (through PM’s). Come say hi. :welcome:

I'm wondering about housing too and I'm married with a daughter. I'm starting to look into glendale but I haven't even interviewed yet so it's kind of premature.

Glendale is a little far from USC specially with the traffic, I don't know if you know or not, if you want to be closer maybe Santa Monica or the Valley even might be better. I am so jealous of you guys, I really want to get into USC it's like 20 min from my house, I want to stay in LA, we'll see what happens.

Glendale is a little far from USC specially with the traffic, I don't know if you know or not, if you want to be closer maybe Santa Monica or the Valley even might be better. I am so jealous of you guys, I really want to get into USC it's like 20 min from my house, I want to stay in LA, we'll see what happens.

I’m working on research for my housing situation. Out of the places you mentioned, any idea what traffic would be like from Santa Monica (or other beach area), or Pasadena?

Any thought on the area just north of campus? A five minute walk for a commute would be pretty tough to beat.

LA is huge as you know, Pasadena and Glendale are both far from USC with Traffic it could take as much as 1:30 hour :), but it also depends on the time of day no traffic (which is unlikely) 30 min, in my opinion it would be a pain. I don't know about your budget but Santa Monica is close enough and the prices are somewhat better than most places around USC (Beverly Hills, westwood, ...) , Valley is a little farther but the prices are much better than West LA (where USC is). USC is in Downtown LA so I don't think you want to live too close to the school either (not too safe:D) so the 5 min walk thing I am not sure about, Downtown LA is not the best place, not horrible, after all it's like 10 min from Beverly Hills, but still with someone who is married and has a child is better not to live next to the school. I have a lot of friends who commute from Valley to USC daily and they are ok with it, Valley has good prices compare to other places around LA.

Just interviewed today (Feb 15) and loved it. We were told a batch of letters will go out the first of March, so everyone keep your fingers crossed.

"Fight On"

I was just there, I know a guy from there, and I grew up there soooo..... for what it is worth the married types (like myself) will be in south Pasadena and West LA. Decent neighbor hoods and 10-20 minute commutes no matter the time of day. Go Trojans!!! BTW I was just in heritage hall this last weekend it was awesome!!

Got an interview on the 29th. Good luck and Fight On! I hope I get to stay at my alma mater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview on the 29th. Good luck and Fight On! I hope I get to stay at my alma mater.

Question for you, since you have experience at USC:

What's your take on the "North University Park" area for living during dental school? I don't have a family to worry about like some of the previous posters. It seems like there is ample housing, with many students living in the area. Anything I should know before I stake a claim in the area?

Edit: Oh yeah.... congrats on the interview!

Hey gijohn, I'll be there on the 29th also. I'll see you there.

Hey guys,

Since this thread has shifted into housing concerns, i wanted to let u know, that i am subleasing my studio which is in one of the safest locations around the campus, quite close to the dental school...
If any of u guys are interested, PM me..

Since this thread has shifted into housing concerns....

It will get back on track soon. Just waiting for USC to actually send out some acceptance letters to fill up the other half of the class. Then we can get some people here to post with more exciting topics!

LA is huge as you know, Pasadena and Glendale are both far from USC with Traffic it could take as much as 1:30 hour :), but it also depends on the time of day no traffic (which is unlikely) 30 min, in my opinion it would be a pain. I don't know about your budget but Santa Monica is close enough and the prices are somewhat better than most places around USC (Beverly Hills, westwood, ...) , Valley is a little farther but the prices are much better than West LA (where USC is). USC is in Downtown LA so I don't think you want to live too close to the school either (not too safe:D) so the 5 min walk thing I am not sure about, Downtown LA is not the best place, not horrible, after all it's like 10 min from Beverly Hills, but still with someone who is married and has a child is better not to live next to the school. I have a lot of friends who commute from Valley to USC daily and they are ok with it, Valley has good prices compare to other places around LA.

lmao....who said it would take an 1.5 hours to get from pasadena or glendale to USC!!! Thats impossible...it only takes 30-40 minutes...i live in valencia which is about 40 miles away and it takes me an hour...and Santa Monica is NOT that much closer with the traffic ont eh 10 in the morning plus its way more expensive...Pasadena is a great area and would recommend it....!!

lmao....who said it would take an 1.5 hours to get from pasadena or glendale to USC!!! Thats impossible...it only takes 30-40 minutes...i live in valencia which is about 40 miles away and it takes me an hour...and Santa Monica is NOT that much closer with the traffic ont eh 10 in the morning plus its way more expensive...Pasadena is a great area and would recommend it....!!

Yeah, I think for my first year I’m just going to stick with the “North University Park” area. Granted it’s not like walking down the street in the suburbs, but seems like it is almost 100% populated by USC students. I found a building 3 blocks away from the dental building, which would be my easiest commute ever! Once I get the feel of things, know how much time I will need to be on/off campus, or where I would love to live, then I’ll entertain the idea of a longer commute, paying for gas, and a parking pass.

Congrats to those of you who are accepted! I'm not in the class, just hoping for a spot at this point. At the interview on Feb. 15th they said they send out acceptances once a month. For those of you who were accepted, did you hear by e-mail, phone, or letter? Any predictions on when the next round of acceptances is coming out?

Congrats to those of you who are accepted! I'm not in the class, just hoping for a spot at this point. At the interview on Feb. 15th they said they send out acceptances once a month. For those of you who were accepted, did you hear by e-mail, phone, or letter? Any predictions on when the next round of acceptances is coming out?

email

Hi Hysteria 24,
I saw that you are finishing up your MS, when USC gave you your admissions, did they mention anything about you finishing your MS? I just had my interview there and I saw in their forms that they expect you to finish your Degree by July, I am also fininshing up my MS in bio chem and I just wanted to see if they emphasize on your time of graduation ? Thanks and best of luck to you,,

My guess is that since they have another batch interviewing this Friday the 29th that the admissions committee will meet on March 3rd (Monday) and emails will be going out the couple of days following.... so March 5th or 6th would make a lot of sense going with old time lines and their current interview schedule. I sure hope I see an email from USC in my in box come Wednesday of next week.....

Hi Hysteria 24,
I saw that you are finishing up your MS, when USC gave you your admissions, did they mention anything about you finishing your MS? I just had my interview there and I saw in their forms that they expect you to finish your Degree by July, I am also fininshing up my MS in bio chem and I just wanted to see if they emphasize on your time of graduation ? Thanks and best of luck to you,,

From my experience, you don't need the master's degree in hand the day you start school, but you better be done with it. For example, when I got my master's at Columbia, the degree was actually granted in late October, but I had finished my thesis before starting school. So, while I had completed all of the requirements for my master's degree, I did not technically have it in my possession until about 2 mos. in to school. They are very understanding, but they DO expect you to complete it. Good luck!

From my experience, you don't need the master's degree in hand the day you start school, but you better be done with it. For example, when I got my master's at Columbia, the degree was actually granted in late October, but I had finished my thesis before starting school. So, while I had completed all of the requirements for my master's degree, I did not technically have it in my possession until about 2 mos. in to school. They are very understanding, but they DO expect you to complete it. Good luck!

This is by far the best news I have heard in a while! (with the most coincidental timing as well). Just yesterday I started to stress out about this exact issue, leading me to reread the verbiage in acceptance packet a few times. I will be 100% finished with my master’s degree in June. Everything will be completed and all paperwork filed. However, since my school just implemented a new route for obtaining the degree (different course requirements), and me being the first ever student to take this route, they cannot grant my degree until the fall. Granted I still have to get final approval from USC, but this story lets me breathe a sigh of relief for now.

Hey Guys,

I live in the area just east of Santa Monica and it is a decent area but it is a little expensive. It takes me between 15-30 minutes to get to school depending on traffic. I will be moving south towards the Torrance area after my lease expires. It is about the same drive time and rent is cheaper. This is also a great place for those of you who are married and may have children. Tons of parks and everything you need is very close. Many of the married students in our class live in that area or South Pasadena. PM me if you have any specific questions about the school or anything about USC in general.

Welcome all of you to the Trojan Family!:)

Thank you so much for your very helpful response. so since you did not have your degree by the time you started school what kind of proof did the school asked you to show in order to see that you actually completed your degree? Thanks a lot again.

Final transcripts showing that my degree had been awarded. They don't need to see the diploma--I'm sure you could show them if you want. :D

Hey, I've been looking for a while now and I can't seem to find the information... where are we supposed to report for the interview? Anyone recall the name of the building?

there is only one building and thats the dental school, so just in the lobby of the dental school and then there is signs to fallow,,

Hi everybody, I am so glad to be writing in this thread, I just got accepted and wanted to say Hi to everybody, can't wait to see you all in Aug.
Cheers

Hi everybody, I am so glad to be writing in this thread, I just got accepted and wanted to say Hi to everybody, can't wait to see you all in Aug.
Cheers

That's what I'm talking about! :horns:

That's what I'm talking about! :horns:
By the way Hysteria, we are both from San Diego, right now I am finishing up my masters at SDSU.... ( I better finish it!!!! ) I look forward to seeing you in Aug,,,,

It seems as though the class is starting to take shape and I think it’s about time for this. We can use the thread to get in touch, and discuss upcoming matters for life as a D1!

There also seems to be quite a bit of people still trying to make the cut with plenty of questions regarding the interview and admissions in general. Feel free to ask away here. :D
I just got my acceptance today, and you'd better believe I am going.
FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

I think its facebook time!

It seems to be the norm around here on SDN after the “c/o thread” gets enough members. Anyone down for joining if I create a group? The other classes at USC all have them, and it seems like a good idea so we can introduce ourselves, work on housing, etc. (Here is USC c/o 2011 for reference: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2256280383)

And for the peeps without a facebook account, it’s easy to make one and only takes a name and pic. As long as I get one yes, I’ll put it together.

I received an acceptance yesterday also!!! See you in the fall!!!!

Hmm, how do you join the facebook group? It seems to be a closed group...

Hmm, how do you join the facebook group? It seems to be a closed group...

I’m still new to facebook, but my guess is that the admins (listed on the main page) can invite people. Send them a message to see if they will let you in.

**Facebook update**

The original group required everyone to have an active USC email address to join. Because this would exclude a majority of us until the fall, the admins closed the old group and made a new one that is open to everyone:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8188739703

does anybody know if USC has shuttles from school to the union Amtrak station , the station is about 6 miles away from school. Thanx,

does anybody know if USC has shuttles from school to the union Amtrak station , the station is about 6 miles away from school. Thanx,

They do from "Union Station." That’s the train station ~6 miles away from the school. Check here:

http://transnet.usc.edu/transit/routes.aspx

They have both ways listed: Union station to UPC, and UPC to Union station.

I will actually be taking that tomorrow morning as I head back to LA to secure housing. :D

Thanx a lot Hysteria 24, you are always helpful. Do you know by any chance how much it will cost to rent a small room by USC, I live in San Diego and my husband's job is here, and I was wondering if I can rent a room very close to campus and just commute by Amtrak,and stay there maybe 2-3 nights a week.. any ideas?! thanx

Hey Everyone! I got accepted to USC last friday!! I am pumped about it! glad to have this forum with my new classmates. i don't know much about how to find groups in facebook, if whoever is moderating the group could look me up

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! I got accepted to USC last friday!! I am pumped about it! glad to have this forum with my new classmates. i don't know much about how to find groups in facebook, if whoever is moderating the group could look me up?
same boat.... look up Bryan Baker

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when the USC will send out another batch of letters. I have heard end of March or mid-April? I want to be a classmate :oops:.

I got accepted last Friday as well, through email.

I got accepted last Friday as well, through email.

Could you please let me know when was your interview? Has anyone interviewed on Feb. 27th been accepted (or rejected)? Thank you.

Could you please let me know when was your interview? Has anyone interviewed on Feb. 27th been accepted (or rejected)? Thank you.

I interviewed on Feb. 15th and was notified that I got accepted by email on March 6th.