*** - USC School of Dentistry - Class of 2012 - ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad to hear all the response from current students. I just wanted to separate fact from rumor and am glad I asked. The dentist I currently work for told me this information, so I place some merit in what he says. Anyways, glad I got this all clarified and looking forward to the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to hear all the response from current students. I just wanted to separate fact from rumor and am glad I asked. The dentist I currently work for told me this information, so I place some merit in what he says. Anyways, glad I got this all clarified and looking forward to the fall!

It seems that by the time these rumors hit practicing dentists, they get a bit exaggerated. The dentist I work for heard it trough the grape vine that our class would be the last graduating class, as the dental school was going to shut down in 2012. As you can tell by the current AADSAS application, they are clearly taking students for the class of 2013.

All the things you mentioned (except the dean stepping down) seem like old rumors that were prevalent here on SDN in the past.

A new dean huh? I wonder what changes that will bring?

Talked to Brian yesterday and asked him about the rumors even though is looks like the truthfulness of these rumors have been disproved I had to ask. He said yes that the Dean is leaving and that it was do to his age he felt to old I guess. The other one he had herd nothing about any of them. The 2008 class was able to take there board and had a above 95% passing rate. The junior class is fine and happy, and they are accepting applications for the 2013 class now. He said the USC dental school is as strong as ever and that it is going strong and that there is nothing to worry about. SO THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY :luck::hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to Brian yesterday and asked him about the rumors even though is looks like the truthfulness of these rumors have been disproved I had to ask. He said yes that the Dean is leaving and that it was do to his age he felt to old I guess. The other one he had herd nothing about any of them. The 2008 class was able to take there board and had a above 95% passing rate. The junior class is fine and happy, and they are accepting applications for the 2013 class now. He said the USC dental school is as strong as ever and that it is going strong and that there is nothing to worry about. SO THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY :luck::hardy:

It's not that I don't agree, but of course they are giving you lines like this. It is the admissions department's job to sell the school.

Here is the letter from Dean Slavkin that we all received through e-mail.

"Dear USC Trojan Dental Community,

On March 20th of this year, my family celebrated an important “decade” birthday of mine – my 70th birthday. I found it a timely milestone upon which to reflect on my life’s passages to date, and to make decisions that support my hopes and dreams for the future. As a consequence of my reflections, and the input of my family, I want to share with you at this time my decision to resign as dean, effective the end of 2008. My plans are to pursue a sabbatical leave and to refocus my scholarly interests. I want you to know that I leave the deanship of the School of Dentistry with a strong sense of completion and high spirits, with pride in our common accomplishments and full knowledge that the individual who will follow me will find a receptive professional community in which to lead and flourish.

I became a “Trojan” when I first walked onto the University Park campus as an undergraduate in 1958. Thereafter, I was recruited by then-Dean John Ingle to join the faculty of the USC School of Dentistry in July, 1968 – Forty years ago! Over these many years, I have had the pleasure of working with many outstanding people – Board of Councilors, full and part-time faculties, postdocs, graduate students, residents, students, staff and alumni. I have been presented with so many opportunities to make contributions in the fields of dentistry, biomedical sciences, craniofacial developmental biology and health policy, of which I am very proud. However, a rich career such as I have enjoyed is also extremely taxing on one’s family and personal life, with too much time over the years taken from Lois, our four children, eight grandchildren and close friends. And so, my friends, my reflections have brought me to the conclusion that “it is time” – time to be present at little ones’ ballet recitals and soccer games, time to develop and revisit passions that have patiently awaited full expression, and time for Lois and I to enjoy our good health and blessed life.

Provost Max Nikias will soon form a search process to identify my successor. I will serve as dean fully and wholeheartedly through fall 2008, formally stepping down on December 31, 2008. At that time, I will take a one-year sabbatical from January 1 through December 31, 2009, and then return to USC as a faculty member to pursue education and research in January, 2010.

It has been a genuine honor to serve the USC Trojan dental community as the 11th dean of the School of Dentistry, and the first of the 21st Century. Since I arrived as Dean on August 14, 2000, we have, together, made significant progress in learner-centered education, innovation and discovery, patient and community health, and leadership in our professions and in the broader community. I thank you for your support and your friendship!

Cheers "

"...Provost Max Nikias will soon form a search process to identify my successor. I will serve as dean fully and wholeheartedly through fall 2008, formally stepping down on December 31, 2008. At that time, I will take a one-year sabbatical from January 1 through December 31, 2009, and then return to USC as a faculty member to pursue education and research in January, 2010."

It's comforting to see that at least he will be coming back. Shows that he isn't running away from a big mess at USC like previously claimed.

Hey has any one on here received there email account yet. I have a friend that said that he got his yesterday and I didn't receive mine yet.:scared:

Hey can anyone tell me what Brian meant by "Photo Release" form in one of his recent emails. I cant seem to find this form, maybe im just not looking hard enough or someone else has this problem too...

One more question, has anyone received an email regarding season football tickets? On the website it says an email will be sent out mid-June for new undergrad and grad students but I havent gotten anything.

Hey has any one on here received there email account yet. I have a friend that said that he got his yesterday and I didn't receive mine yet.:scared:

I havent received my email account yet

One more question, has anyone received an email regarding season football tickets? On the website it says an email will be sent out mid-June for new undergrad and grad students but I havent gotten anything.

According to the ticket office people we need our emails before we can purchase tickets. The deadline to buy isn't until mid august.

According to the ticket office people we need our emails before we can purchase tickets. The deadline to buy isn't until mid august.
Hysteria
Do you know if most of the Grad students get tickets?

Has anyone got their email account yet?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what kind of scholarships they are giving out and has anyone received any?

Has anyone got their email account yet?:confused:

Nope... Every email we get says that they're "working on it." I would assume we might get them soon since the major July 15th deadline has passed.

Does anyone know what kind of scholarships they are giving out and has anyone received any?

Word is that that the committee met in June to award the scholarships, however they won’t let us know until we show up on day 1 for orientation. They want to make sure we are not tempted to jump ship for somewhere else, but decide to stay for the money.

Got my fingers crossed! :thumbup:

Anyone from UTAH need help moving?
I have rented a truck and will be moving to LA on the 31st of July. The truck is bigger than I need and I will have extra room. If anyone woul d like me to take down some of their stuff it would cut down on both of our costs. Please let me know.
Peter Vrontikis
(801)232-7580
[email protected]

Hey
Has anyone recieved there registration packet or there email adress yet?

Hey
Has anyone recieved there registration packet or there email adress yet?

matriculation packet was the last thing I received.

You mean the email accounts that they have been "currently working" on since the spring? :rolleyes:

I want it now, so I can finally get my football tickets!

I received the registration packet today. There are instructions on how to register for classes. I can't even get past step 1 becuase I don't have a pin number. Does anyone know how to get a pin number?

I received the registration packet today. There are instructions on how to register for classes. I can't even get past step 1 becuase I don't have a pin number. Does anyone know how to get a pin number?

Maybe its your social or birthday

I still havent gotten my registration documents, is anyone else in the same boat?

the pin is you birth date 00/00/00 that worked for me now i have to pay :(

I still havent gotten my registration documents, is anyone else in the same boat?

Hey, I received my registration documents on Aug 2nd.

anyone gotten their email yet? I really want my football tickets!!!!

anyone gotten their email yet? I really want my football tickets!!!!
I know i want mine bad too. Bryan said that we should get them really soon. HAHAHAHA he has been saying that crap for months now. :confused:

I know i want mine bad too. Bryan said that we should get them really soon. HAHAHAHA he has been saying that crap for months now. :confused:

It has almost been half a year now. :rolleyes:

However I did get some email today about setting up my USC email account. Got to do it fast as the deadline for tickets is next week. Fight on!

got my email yesterday, but ticketing site is down until Saturday

Has anyone been able to activate their student ticket account, I dont know what my online pin? Its not my birthday or my email password, Help:scared:

yeah, the ticket website says that an email will be sent to new students regarding ticket sales info but obviously none of us have received that since it was sent out in June I think. Anyways, has anybody out there successfully put it a ticket request?

The ticket offices said that they will send us a email in a few business days. They told me we are still able to get tickets and that we dont need to worry about it YEAH!!!!!!!!

Hey Folks,
I am a 2010 student and just finished my National Boards Part 1 today. Just wanted to make myself available to the new class for any questions you may have. Specifically, I am on the 4 year army scholarship so if anyone is interested or has any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

hey is anyone having trouble registering online? i put my username and pin in, i get through. but when i click on fall 2008, it tells me i can't register b/c admission rejected?! wha? and since yesterday i've been trying to call the admin office. i get passed around from a few people and apparently brian is the only one who can help me with registration problems. i left a few messages and i'm sure he's busy so i haven't been able to register yet. anyone in the same boat?