ACLS, PALS certification and orientation schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting residency this July. I finish my rotations on May 23rd and wanted to do a little bit of traveling in between that date and the start of residency. When do most residents accomplish their certifications and have their orientation? Is it in early/mid/late june? I just wanted to travel to a few places in the last week of may or early june and wanted to start making plans now. I don't want to make plans and then find out that I have to be in the US attending a ACLS course. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your residency program. Most places will have an ACLS course set aside for new housestaff just before they start; sometimes its the weekend before orientation. If not, ask when the next available one will be. I would recommend getting it done before you start, as you don't want to waste a precious weekend off during internship doing ACLS

Orientation can start as early as June 5th and as late as just a couple of days before July 1. There is no one answer...VERY program and year dependent.

You should be prepared to be at work by the last two weeks of June, but bear in mind that some have reported programs starting much earlier. So check with them after you match.