Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone apply this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to have actually applied to medical school to be eligible for this program? I took the MCAT and the science pre-reqs for medical school. What do you do about the AMCAS?

Nope you don't have to have applied to medical school. THe MCAT is a requirement though with at least a seven in each section. This year there will be ten students selected for the class. The current class consists of ten people and from what I know seven of them will be at Wake next year and the other three chose to attend schools in state. Post bac students also get notoriously good financial aid during there four years at Wake which is another benefit of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually applied to the program for this coming year. I don't think they've started reviewing applications yet. Having an AMCAS (applying to med school before) just makes it easier in my opinion. It's not necessary. Just make sure you have at least a 7 in each section on the MCAT.

I've gotten a lot of private messages about the program so here is some general info.
Our classes are taught by the same professors that will teach us during our first year. This is great because we get a lot of intimate contact with our professors and we go in with them knowing our names. They tell you point blank what they think is important and this carries over to the next year.
1st Semester
Biochemistry
Problem Based Learning
Microbiology
Neuroanatomy

2nd Semester
Physiology/Pharmacology
Gross Anatomy
Problem Based Learning

The classes are definitely challenging but hard work makes it very doable. The post bacs from last year are all in the top 30% of their first year class which shows the program is doing its job. YOU DON"T HAVE TO BE A MINORITY STUDENT, but this program was designed with an eye for increasing diversity in medicine.
Good Luck

I sent in my Post bac app to Wake Forest. I know it said on the app that they wanted students to have a minimum 2.7 overall science gpa, but if I'm below that will they still look at my application? I have a 28 MCAT, with a least an 8 in each section so I meet their other requirements, except for the science gpa. I really hope they call me for an interview.

Are you taking any courses right now that could realistically raise your science gpa to a 2.7?

I'm finishing up my double major right now... I am taking my last science requirement for my science major (the other major is women's studies) so no I can't realistically raise my science gpa. I have such a low science gpa because my first two years were really rough, but the subsequent years show solid improvement. (The first two years really dragged down the rest.) I can definitely handle the science courses if you look at my performance in my upper divs, but I'm worried that they won't look at my app because I don't meet their minimum 2.7 science gpa listed on the website. My overall meets the minimum. I think everything else on my app is great, I'm just worried about the science gpa. What do you think? Will my science gpa outweigh the rest of my app? Thanks for your help. I'm really excited about Wake Forest. I've been looking into the school and I just hope I get the chance to interview there. I know it's competitive.

I know that their rules are set by the medical school . Since the post bac program gives about 8% of the seats for the incoming class the medical school is pretty strict about their guidelines. If you wrote in your essay about your passion and the reasons for why your grades may not be the best then maybe they will give you the benefit of the doubt.
Good luck!

HeY everyone..i applied to the program.

My stats : GPA: 3.2
MCAT:27 Q

I am not technically a URM---but i am a minority from El Salvador. HOwever my main goal is to be a doctor for underserved populations. I know that this program is very competitive, and i hope that i get at least an interview. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks! I did put that in my essay. I think I saw somewhere that last year's application requirements had a min. 2.5 science gpa so it changed from last year to this year. I have a 2.54 science gpa (according to AMCAS). My school's science gpa would be higher, but AMCAS took some classes out. Anyway, I'm going to stay hopeful that they look at the rest of my application and like what they see! :)

Hey anybody who frequents this thread or is/has been/knows someone inthe WF post bacc program...are we notified of interviews soon? I am getting antsy, i know that i must be patient. Hope i get an interview, the program seems great.thanks

I know that decisions are made this week so you should find out soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone gotten an interview yet? i just received an email saying that my application is complete and that they are reviewing the applications. It said we should receive letters on our status after March 25th... so by the end of next week.

so we find out if we have interviews based on email, mail, or phone call?

I was a post bacc last year and we got notified by letter for the interview and by phone call if accepted.

could anyone post a link to the wake forest website for the program?

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the Wake decisions coming out this week. I applied as well and am also waiting to hear. I wish you all the best though.

hello...i just got my interview invite, was wondering how many people they interview since only 10 people are eventually placed into the class... hope everyone else got interviews!

hello...i just got my interview invite, was wondering how many people they interview since only 10 people are eventually placed into the class... hope everyone else got interviews!

congrats! I just got an interview invite yesterday and was wondering the same thing!:D best of luck to other applicants

Hey guys!

I just got an interview invite as well. Guess i will see you all on April 21! Congrats to you guys &Good luck to all!:)

Hey guys!

I just got an interview invite as well. Guess i will see you all on April 21! Congrats to you guys &Good luck to all!:)

Did you guys get an invite by snail mail or Email?

Last year they received around 275 completed applications after screening and interviewed 25 students for ten spots. Interviewed candidates came from all over but as far as admitted students the undergraduate institutions represented were:
Princeton
Amherst
University of Miami
New York University
Belmont University
John Hopkins University
Duke
UNC Chapel Hill
UC Davis
Western Carolina University
If you have been given an interview you have a real shot of being admitted. ACE your interview and really know why you want to practice medicine.
Best of luck to you

I received an invitation as well. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for the interview? I reallllyyyy want to go there, and I'm really nervous now about the interview. Any suggestions would be great!

The first thing you should know is that it is a blind interview. They won't have anything but your letter of rec so practice being open and getting your point across. You interview will be fifteen minutes and it is extremely low stress. Research the program and know why you want to go here.
Good luck to you

The first thing you should know is that it is a blind interview. They won't have anything but your letter of rec so practice being open and getting your point across. You interview will be fifteen minutes and it is extremely low stress. Research the program and know why you want to go here.
Good luck to you

I just read about the program and it looks like a great opportunity. Even though the deadline is over I have a question for next year. My mother is colombian and I lived in bogota for a year when i was ten (only spanish speaking school). I'm minoring in spanish but I was raised in a middle class (undisadvantage) setting. Would I be considered as an elgible applicant for next year?

I checked my email today and saw the email from Wake Forest! I got an interview too! I'm so excited. :)

Thank you so much Nyu2004 for telling us about the blind interview process. I'm really happy to know about the letters of rec, because I really liked the professors that wrote my letters. :)

Good luck to everyone who's interviewing. I look forward to meeting you. yay!

anybody know of a site that has more info about this program, the WF website is kind of bare bones....thanks!

Sorry everyone I confused something. The interview is a blind interview but they have your personal statement not your letter of rec. Be prepared to talk about things non academic. During my interview I talked about sports I played in high school, Harry Potter, and I think I was asked once about my ultimate career goal. It was a lot of fun. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions.
Good luck to you

Congrats to everyone who got interviews ! May you all get accepted !

For ppl like me, who have not heard either way, yes or no from the school yet, is it going to be a waiting game.. I hope there are no waitlists here :(

Congrats to all of you who recieved interview invites. I just got my interview invite as well. I'm glad to hear that it is a low-stress interview since this will be my first interview of any type related to medical school or post-bac programs. Good luck to all of you.

When you say they have a copy of your personal statement, do you mean the AMCAs one or the personal statement we wrote about why we wanted to go to Wake's post bac? And if that's the case, does that mean they probably won't ask me about any low grades or any extracurriculars I didn't put in that statement?

I booked my flight! I'm so excited.

So they'll ask us about our personal statement...even better! :) I hope they speak Spanish. ;-)

Does anyone know how far GSO is from Wake Forest? I'm flying in from California... I'm wondering how much time I should give myself to get to the university?

Hey, I booked my flight as well! I'm arriving on Sunday, and I've heard that the airport is a good 30 minutes away, and that renting a car is much cheaper than taking a taxi. Good luck! I'm really excited too!

do they only accept urm?

hey travoltage:

Well according to their website and NYU2004 can back me up on this since he/she has actually been through the program....One of the GOALS of the program is increasing minority recruitment in their medical school. However, i do not think that this should discourage anyone from applying because i think that they would also accept someone who is also interested in helping underserved populations (based on your extracurriculars),that may not be a URM.

In my case i am severely underrepresented in medicine (I'm a Latino) however i do not technically "fit" into the 4 categories specified in the URM definition by the AAMC.

-Also, i believe that since the definition was defined in 2003, it gives the individual medical school more freedom in specifying what is URM to the individual medical school in their local regions. Anyways, i dont think that this thread should go anywhere near the AA issue, just putting in what i believe is true.
On a different note....

For anyone that has an interview on April 21, good luck! and where is everyone coming from? Im coming from Virginia from the College of William and Mary.

I'm coming from UCLA... almost the furthest college possible. lol

I'm coming from the University of Florida.

Is everyone staying with a medical student or is anyone staying in a hotel?

Did anyone recieve an interview through the mail? Or a rejection letter for that matter? ..........I have not heard either way1

I was just curious what you all are planning to bring with you to the interview? I know we are supposed to talk to the Financial Aid people as well. I also wanted to ask you NYU if program participants have to get their own apt. or if there is some type of graduate housing?

I was just curious what you all are planning to bring with you to the interview? I know we are supposed to talk to the Financial Aid people as well. I also wanted to ask you NYU if program participants have to get their own apt. or if there is some type of graduate housing?

You are responsible for your own housing, but there are many places nearby. A lot of people own houses around school and rent them (or rooms therein) out to students. If you have a car (which you will almost definitely need IMO) you can go a little further out to find a place.

:):)

I do want to say to everyone congratulations to everyone who got interviews. I know the date is coming up soon. So I wish you the best of luck. I too am applying to this program but next year. I wanted to know if it were a plus if you know people who sit on the admissions board. Cause actually I met someone at the SNMA conference who sits on the board. I am sure that it can be beneficial either way. Plus I am currently shadowing a doctor who went through the same post-bac program. I mean the signs from up above are clearly telling me to apply to Wake Forest. All of this by chance people! So if anyone is free, please PM me once your interviews are over. I would like to know how that went and the entire application process went. Many blessings!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the information NYU. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all of our questions. :D

I'm bringing my mother. ;-)

I'm bringing my parents' tax information, a copy of my FAFSA application, and that sort of thing.

I'm bringing my mother. ;-)

I'm bringing my parents' tax information, a copy of my FAFSA application, and that sort of thing.

I'm bringing my mother as well so you won't be the only one. :D

Just curious. Did they tell you guys to bring your FAFSA and tax information? I know the year I interviewed the financial aid talk was just a talk on how to budget, ways to get money, etc. It wasn't a one-on-one or even a group session where tax forms, etc. would be needed.

Also, for those bringing mothers. In past years, they've usually given parents directions to the mall when they show up at the interview.

On my letter, it said to fill out a FAFSA by April 15, or you stand a risk of not getting any money from the program. I filled my taxes independently and so filled out the FASFA with only my information, does anyone know if Wake makes us put our parents information? Congrats everyone, I can't wait to see you next weekend!

P.S I'm staying with a medical student who was in my research lab last year...but I wish I could have brought my mom too :)

I believe it clarifies on the website that you only need to bring your parent's tax return if you are deducted on there form as a dependant.