Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone offer tips for the interview? I know that the interviewer will have only seen my personal statement... but who will actually be interviewing us? Professors for the post bac program, physicians, med students? What will the actual day be like? We're supposed to be there at 8:45 to check in. We'll have an interview, tour, and sessions... will we also meet the current post-bac students? current WFUSM students?

I guess I'm getting kind of nervous?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard word yet from Wake Forest....i know interviews should be close to over...does anyone know when the acceptance letters will be sent out...it is close to May 1st...:):):):):):):)

The interviews were today. I don't know if I met any of the people that I've spoken to here, but everyone seemed nice. I wish you all luck. I had to leave early, so I don't know what happened later in the lunch, but if you have any questions that you didn't think of today, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just like to say that the choices will be extremely difficult as Dr. Latham- Sadler said! Everyone seemed to be so nice and at this point i seriously dont know how they can eliminate 14 of us...that being said...good luck to everyone...cause that is all it is at this point. The hard part is done. Maybe in mid/late may we will get some good news. Good luck to all those (like me) with finals. See you all soon.

The interviews went well... but I have no idea who they'll pick. They are definitely not going to have fun making the decisions. I wish everyone the best. All I can say is that if it's meant to be then it's meant to be.

I really hope I get in though!

I agree with all of you. It's going to be really hard for them to pick. This had to be the coolest pre-meds I ever met in my life. Everyone was so friendly and down to earth. I wish all of us could be there together. But oh well. The dean needs to increase the class size lol. But good luck to all of you.

you know whats crazy...i thought you guys were going to hear something by May 1st...was perusing the website today...saw May 30th...damn what a waiting game..guess I will have to check this thread back Mid May...

GOOD LUCK!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Hey everyone,

I hope all is going well...I was thinking about what they told us about trying to get back to their first set of "yes" candidates by the end of 2 weeks...and I realized that means tomorrow or Monday. Do you think we'll hear back this early? I don't think my interview went too well, but I am anxious for an official word. I wish everyone the best of luck!

that would be amazing if we got phone calls this week.

hopefully they are getting this done as quickly as possible because, oh wait, this isn't life changing news or anything (i regularly dream about finding out and when i think about for too long my eyes water...)

but its cool... we'll know soon enough... it'll all work out and everything will be fine for all of us

looks like it will be another week or so...

I haven't heard anything.... :(

I have a feeling we'll hear from them on Monday.

Letters went out on Friday afternoon. 10 acceptances and 6 wait lists.
Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my letter yesterday... seems like i'm one of the six.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Anyone else get word?

hey guys, I guess that makes me the 2nd person out of 6 on here. Any suggestions to help us get off the waitlist?!

Congrats to the acceptees!

will they be making phone calls?

@ Shifa & Gonzo111: did you receive your letters via snail mail or an email copy?

Guess I'm kinda anxious to know, good or bad. :(
Congrats to everyone that got accepted and the waitlists! :D:thumbup:

Snail mail, I checked my mail on saturday morning and saw the letter and started tearing up.

I live in South Carolina though, so its not as much of a trek as to many other states where most of us were from. Good Luck!

I guess I am immune to rejection, I just saw it and was like, oh well... I think it is safe to say that if you did not get a letter, then you are probably accepted. I am assuming they sent the waitlists and rejections at the same time, just an assumption.

Last edited:
I received the news today! I'm one of 10. I'm so relieved and happy!
:) Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
i'm in!! this is great... i need to finish moving out of school before i can think about my living situation for next year... but we should definitely all coordinate...

congrats to everyone and best of luck in the future!

I'm so glad to hear all the good news. I just got my letter today and found out that I got in as well. I was so excited. Are all of you who got in attending for sure?

I plan on going for sure... hopefully they give me a good financial aid award too. That would make it a lot easier for sure.

I'm going for sure as well. I know they said they will send more information, but how long do you think they're going to give us to come up with tuition money? I'm kind of stressing about trying to get financial aid....

Congrats to everyone who was accepted into the post bac program... i am starting wf this summer... but i found the school because i realized they had a great post bac program...if i didn't get into school this year i would have applied for it next year

i went to the snma weekend they had during my second look weekend and i met many post bac students who looved it at the school...and they were all in the top of their first year class...i am just an incoming student but I have done extensive research on the school and the relocation parts of it so if u need any info on apartments or where to live and things like that i will be happy to share what i have learned with you...or put u in touch with ppl i have met whom i am sure wouldn't mind helping you out as well...

congrats to you all...and for those who are waitlisted... i am not sure if it works the same as the regular med school app process...but i was waitlisted in october when i interviewed and then i was admitted a few months later after sending them some letters showing interest in the school... so maybe u could write a letter saying how much u really want to attend and how much you enjoyed your visit....

Hey everyone! I was also accepted into the program. Congrats to everyone else and Wait list people do not despair...bc if i get into another program ( Georgetown GEMS) than i will be releasing my spot for someone else. (not bc WF isnt a great program, but bc G-town is close to home, family, and i could save loads of money!) Anyways, i am so blessed and i would love to go to WF so the decision will undoubtedly be tough if i get into both. Congrats again guys and happy graduation to the Class of '08!:D

I got a a question, since the application is so early in the year, how can you give them a copy of your amcas app if you are a first time applicant? Does the goal of this program coincide with targeting the economically disadvantaged people who say are not URM's? What were your guys stats?

For those of you who were accepted, do you guys have any advice/tips that would help applicant for the fall of 2009 gain acceptance? I really do think this is a great program, and would actually much rather attend this program then attend medical school immediately. My GPA is a really low (2.9) and I'm taking my MCAT on the 31st :eek:. Is there anything that you guys did that you think really impressed the board? I have one summer and basically 1 semester to amaze them :D, so any help that you guys could pm me or just post would be much much much appreciated.
Thanks guys!! :)

Hey there NebeL36:

My first words of advice would be since you are interested in the program, what is your personal interest in medicine and how did you come to that decision? This is a crucial aspect to not just the WF post bacc but any medical program in general. Also, i would definitely say that if you are not involved in a medically related job/ volunteering experience then it would serve you well to get involved with one. I am not just saying shadow a doctor for a few hours for just 1 day. medicine is a constantly changing field and experience with a hospital, doctors office etc. over a long period shows your dedication and knowledge of the medical field and its demanding nature.

I personally worked as a medical scribe in an ER for 25 hours/wk for a year, so i def saw medicine in action. Maybe doing something like this would be beneficial to you.

Also, since the program is designed "for increasing URM in medicine" i would show the adcom that you are interested in medicine for helping underserved populations. This i wrote about in my essay and should show from your extracurricular activities. For example you could volunteer at an underserved medical clinic ( i did) or do anything that shows your dedication to help those who are less fortunate.

Logistically, your GPA is fine for the program and as long as you get a 21 on your MCAT (at least 7's in each section), than you have a solid chance for an interview. Remember that the program is EXTREMELY competitive, not just academic- wise but in terms of the people that they accept with regards to motivation, experiences, determination, compassion etc...

I hope that this helps and remember that your essay is EXTREMELY important, take some some time to make it the best thing you have written and wow them there! Good luck and all the best.

Peace and God Bless

So... did anyone else get in or get off the wait list???? I think migs22 is going to GEMS... so that means 1 of 6 should be 1 of 10 soon! Congrats to you both!

Just wondering... how many that got into the Wake Forest program are going to apply to med schools this June (next month?) How does it work since we'll be starting the post bac program in August? Do you we add the school on AMCAS?

There's about a week or so left before we can submit our application and I just realized I should have figured this out by now... and I'm not too sure about selecting regular MD and MD/MPH. I want the MD/MPH but I'm not sure if that will hurt my chances of getting into the regular MD program... advice anyone???

-Jenny

I got a a question, since the application is so early in the year, how can you give them a copy of your amcas app if you are a first time applicant? Does the goal of this program coincide with targeting the economically disadvantaged people who say are not URM's? What were your guys stats?
Any help guys?

Any help guys?
You process your AMCAS so that your GPA gets verified. It's not a big deal if you're a first-time applicant. You have to select a school to send it to in order for it to be processed (I chose some school in Puerto Rico) but as long as it's a school you don't plan on applying to again then you don't have to put that you're a re-applicant when you submit it again the next year.

I processed my AMCAS about a week before the postbac program deadline and got it back in time. I am going to resubmit my AMCAS next week to apply to med schools this June.

Stats: overall 3.0, science 2.54, MCAT 28Q.... and everything else is really good (extracurriculars, letters, PS.) I'm URM and disadvantaged status.

about the AMCAS thing... at first i thought this requirement meant that you had to have applied and not been accepted in order to apply for the program, but that was definitely not the case. i am not exactly sure why they ask for it (maybe because of the way it organizes the information in your application and thats the format they are used to looking at) but i filled it out and printed it without having it verified or processed by AMCAS. instead, i had my letters sent directly to the school or included them with my application in signed, sealed envelopes. and i also included an official copy of my transcript from my university for grade verification. this may not be the way they would prefer it be done so maybe you should ask, but they still accepted mine

i also (just barely) had it postmarked on March 1st because thats how badly i procrastinate... and it was still fine.

hope this helps!

I know it has been established that this in not a strictly URM program, if someone was not a URM but was disadvantaged (economically), would such a person have an advantage over another non URM? I think it has been seen that although it isn't an exclusive URM program, they clearly have the advantage due to the program's mission.

This is to answer your question Jenny. I plan on applying to other medical schools this summer as well. I listed WFU on my AMCAS and then I picked the post-bac option in the drop down box (instead of choosing undergrad or graduate). After that u can list the courses you'll be taking if u want and check that they are upcoming classes (I think thats what I'm going to do). But I definently want other schools to see I'm doing a post-bac.

for anyone who is waiting to hear, i got into med school so I will be dropping my waitlist spot on Monday, hope that is good news for someone. :)

Congratulation Shifa!!!!! You're going to be a doctor :D.

I booked my flight! I can't believe I'll be relocating to North Carolina! :)

I received my packet recently and went to the website to see what forms were required; I saw only a demographics and proof of insurance form. Is that all they need? I thought in the acceptance letter they said something about requiring vaccination history? Does anyone else remember any mention of this?

Thanks! Can't wait to meet everyone :)

-Michelle

jus checking to see if anyone else has been accepted to the program...any new news??

congrats to everyone accepted, but I'm still not clear about this: Out of those accepted, are any of you NOT URM or disadvantaged? Thanks.

hey just wanted to know if there are any people that have applied for the Fall 2009..i noticed that their application process has completely changed (not really)...so if anyone out there is planning on applying..let us know how the application process is going

Merry Christmas everyone....I will be applying for this program real soon...Does anyone know about similar programs like it- i.e. with some sort of linkage to a medical school after completion to the program, besides Ohio State MedPath program, or Drexel's DPMS? As for the current students, did you apply to other post bacc's as well? Thanks!

well there are a few that are like the Wake Forest Program..there is the UConn post bac (the Full Minority program). There is also the Temple ACMS program that provides a linkage...the Upenn Special Science program provides a linkage to RWJMS after a year..(accelerated acceptance)...thats all i remember from the top of my head..

Hey Chuck,

Any other programs like the one at Wake Forest?
It seems wake forest is special because of the no tuition waiver ... and the acceptance into it's medical school upon completion.

The other ones, UPENN and UCONN require a high tuition fee ( 22,000+)

and because im a disadvantaged student it is definitely harder..

I will definitely apply to Wake Forest however.. just wanted to know if you knew of any contingency plans for a bio major with stats much like j.penny

see thats the thing..a lot of programs that i know of..have a GPA requirement of 3.0..there are not too many as special as the Wake Forest (why i really would like to go there) Drexel DPMS is another, oh and EVMS has a great program too..definitely check that one out...http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
i would check out this website for other programs..but trust i have been searching for months now.those things are few and far between (high linkage and stats like that) but if you do find one...PM ME!!! :D:D:D

Just so everyone knows...the application deadline to apply to the program this year was Dec. 15th. The link to the post bacc website from Google says March 1st. However, the link for the post bacc program directly from the Wake Forest Website says Dec. 15th. The Wake post bacc program received over 200 applications this year and will not be accepting anymore.

Good luck to all those that applied!!:)

do you know how they will choose amongst those 200 applications?

Just so everyone knows...the application deadline to apply to the program this year was Dec. 15th. The link to the post bacc website from Google says March 1st. However, the link for the post bacc program directly from the Wake Forest Website says Dec. 15th. The Wake post bacc program received over 200 applications this year and will not be accepting anymore.

Good luck to all those that applied!!:)

where did you hear there were 200 applicants? Is that just a number from the past?

Merry Christmas everyone....I will be applying for this program real soon...Does anyone know about similar programs like it- i.e. with some sort of linkage to a medical school after completion to the program, besides Ohio State MedPath program, or Drexel's DPMS? As for the current students, did you apply to other post bacc's as well? Thanks!

GEMS at Georgetown if like with Wakeforest's requirements you are disadvantaged or a minority.