Xferring Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Righty123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering how difficult it is to transfer medical schools? I am currently slightly unhappy with my current medical school (location and faculty). I am worried that if I apply for a transfer and don't get in, i'll be shooting myself in the foot since the deans / faculty would know.

Does anyone have any stories or know of anyone that has successfully transferred and their reason for transferring?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not gonna happen unless its extenuating circumstances, health emergency, or family emergency.

You can't transfer because you don't like your school. Sorry, we're all stuck where we are until graduation day.

Usually transfers are only granted to students moving for their spouses (e.g. new job) or a family illness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me, or is there a new "transferring medical schools" thread started every week?

what does 'slightly unhappy' even mean?

I know a person who transferred after M1-he did it because he didn't like the location of med school A (i don't know what he told either administration). He found out that the same class at med school B had someone who quit, and he filled their spot. I don't think it is easy, but it isn't as unheard of as one would believe. Another guy switched after M2 & step 1 but that was due to wife. WHat makes you so unhappy about med school-figure that out before you start burning bridges-if its the curriculum-its the same crap everywhere for the most part. I also don't get the whole location sucks argument-I spend most of my time studying, and the free time I have is spent doing hobbbies that aren't location dependent (exercise, reading, blogging, petting the one eyed trouser snake etc) but whatever hope it works out for ya

(Anonymous account for obvious reasons)

This sort of sentiment is exactly what I'm worried about. I am in the process of applying to transfer to be in the same city as my fiancee and soon to be wife. We are going to get married this summer whether I am able to transfer or not. I have already spoken with the deans of my school and have an official blessing from them to continue in the process. There is only one school in the city where I am applying to, and while I know they have a couple of spots open, I'm still very much realistic about my chances. The odds are very much against me. There are a few other schools within 100 miles that accept transfer students, but they don't have any seats open. I keep hearing that family circumstances will be taken into consideration, but I'm worried that there are people out there who might be applying for other reasons, and are willing to lie in their applications in order to be accepted.

I think you might consider people in my position, and not just whether you will be burning bridges as you leave.

I don't think it is easy, but it isn't as unheard of as one would believe.

What you are describing is extremely rare, and not worth counting on. Most schools have, at best, 1-2 spots open after second year for transferees, and quite a few hopefuls seeking those spots. So the ones with the best reasons to transfer (spouse/health) are going to win out 99.9% of the time. And you need two schools to cooperate -- one to accept you and another to endorse you. Being unhappy at your current location simply doesn't get you to another perch.

What you are describing is extremely rare, and not worth counting on. Most schools have, at best, 1-2 spots open after second year for transferees, and quite a few hopefuls seeking those spots. So the ones with the best reasons to transfer (spouse/health) are going to win out 99.9% of the time. And you need two schools to cooperate -- one to accept you and another to endorse you. Being unhappy at your current location simply doesn't get you to another perch.

it seems there are quite a few students who are pushed back a year (well, more than I thought). wouldn't this open up more spots? say, 5 (random #), at least?

it seems there are quite a few students who are pushed back a year (well, more than I thought). wouldn't this open up more spots? say, 5 (random #), at least?

It's not a one time event -- There are also folks who took off a year for research or childbirth who pop back into the classes behind, taking the spots of the folks who leave for various reasons -- there's a constant ebb and flow. Usually results in a net of 1-2 slots "open" per school each year at most. Quite often there are no (or negative) slots because the number of people coming back into the class exceeds those leaving.

I transferred after M2 because I realized that I liked IU better than my previous school as well as feeling that my original school shafted me on scholarships $. I also hated the previous city. It helps if you applied to your prospective school initially and had a strong application. It is not a common event to transfer, but it can be done even without having a spouse or other serious deal. Just make sure to let the school you would like to transfer to how much you like their program and why you feel you would be better off there.