MIT (Medical in Training) program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flightdoc165

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any personal experience with this program? I am getting out of the Navy this June after 5 yrs of service (1 yr internship, 6 months stash, 6 months flight surgery school, 3 yrs as a flight surgeon) and so have 3 yrs left of mandatory IRR time. I am going back to a 3 yr civilian residency. One of my friends, also getting out, heard about this program--what we have been told is that you are in the reserves but all your continuing education--lectures, grand rounds, etc.--counts as your drill time, so you don't actually have to drill, you just have to go to your reserve center twice a yr to do your PRT and get a nonobserved fitrep. However, you get paid drill pay. Also, supposedly you cannot be called back into AD status while in training on this program. At the end of residency, if you have no obligated IRR time left, you can pull chocks, no strings attached, or you can choose to stay as a regular reservist. It sounds too good to be true, so I'm suspicious. Anyone with any actual experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard about this program too. Its selective reserve with a manpower availability status that makes you non-deployable and you don't have weekend training. After 3 years you can just roll into the IRR.

seems to good to be true.

Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

But I am tempted....

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't you guys learned anything after doing your time with the militray?:eek: HPSP also sounded pretty f-ing good when you signed. Stay away! Use the GI Bill and live within your means during residency. You will be free, happy and making plenty of money once you finish training.

Haven't you guys learned anything after doing your time with the militray?:eek: HPSP also sounded pretty f-ing good when you signed. Stay away! Use the GI Bill and live within your means during residency. You will be free, happy and making plenty of money once you finish training.

TRUE DAT!

If it sounds too good to be true...

Kind of funny you mention this. My wife doesn't even want me to take the GI Bill for fear that there is some hidden language commiting me to another 4 years of hell! (Her words, of course ;))

Originally Posted by DiveMD

Well, I did learn how to spell military. Just kidding. Actually, HPSP held up to their agreement--they paid for all of my medical school, I gave them a year for year payback and worked for 4 years. The big advantage of the MIT program would not be the money (I live well within a resident's means already) but the fact that they say they will not call you up during that time, which is not the case if you are in the IRR--hasn't happened to doctors yet, but who knows, especially with the lack of HPSP students coming down the pipeline. Just something to think about.

Also, to anyone who is worried about the GI Bill, don't be. Use it, and get the kicker.

Well, I did learn how to spell military. Just kidding. Actually, HPSP held up to their agreement--they paid for all of my medical school, I gave them a year for year payback and worked for 4 years. The big advantage of the MIT program would not be the money (I live well within a resident's means already) but the fact that they say they will not call you up during that time, which is not the case if you are in the IRR--hasn't happened to doctors yet, but who knows, especially with the lack of HPSP students coming down the pipeline. Just something to think about.

Also, to anyone who is worried about the GI Bill, don't be. Use it, and get the kicker.

Did your recruiter ever mention the infamous GMO tour before you signed the HPSP contact? Mine didn't. He kept saying: "Don't worry, is like civilian medical education but in uniform. You will not be deployed until you finish your residency." :bullcrap: Eventually they dropped the GMO bomb at OIS. :boom:

My point is that the military lures you to sign something that sounds pretty good while the real "deal breakers" are deliberately concealed. That is definitely their MO. Now, after graduating from med school FOUR years ago, I am getting ready to start my residency in civilian institution. Is that ideal? Is that how you plan your medical education? I doubt it. HPSP sucks!:thumbdown:

HPSP doesn't always hold up "their end" of the bargain. I got slammed during my interviews about my military commitment. Apparently enough people have been involuntarily extended beyond their HPSP contract that we are on the PD's radar. My obligation is up in June does not convince them they will have a resident in July

Did your recruiter ever mention the infamous GMO tour before you signed the HPSP contact? Mine didn’t. He kept saying: “Don’t worry, is like civilian medical education but in uniform. You will not be deployed until you finish your residency.” Eventually they dropped the GMO bomb at OIS.

My point is that the military lures you to sign something that sounds pretty good while the real “deal breakers” are deliberately concealed. That is definitely their MO. Now, after graduating from med school FOUR years ago, I am getting ready to start my residency in civilian institution. Is that ideal? Is that how you plan your medical education? I doubt it. HPSP sucks!

I don't remember whether my recruiter mentioned the GMO tour, I didn't really listen to the recruiter. I sought out people who had done HPSP, were in GMO tours or residency, and got information from them. I am trying to do the same thing now, which is why I asked if anyone had personal, actual experience with the program. I had already read the link that sethco had listed, and spoke with the recruiter listed on that link, but I'd like to talk to someone actually in the program, which is why I posted. If I want to hear about how much HPSP sucks, I'll just ask my friends in clinic

HPSP doesn't always hold up "their end" of the bargain. I got slammed during my interviews about my military commitment. Apparently enough people have been involuntarily extended beyond their HPSP contract that we are on the PD's radar. My obligation is up in June does not convince them they will have a resident in July .

I have heard these stories, too, but I have yet to meet someone who has been involuntary extended beyond their HPSP contract. We have 7 docs (approx 50% of our clinic) getting out this summer, and we all have our orders and are getting out on time with fairly little hassle. Same thing happened last year. I hear the stories, but my personal experience leads me to believe that the stories are exaggerated. I'm not saying that it never happens, I'm just saying I know a lot of Navy GMOs. A lot of them have hated life, but they were all able to get out when their time was up.

HPSP doesn't always hold up "their end" of the bargain. I got slammed during my interviews about my military commitment. Apparently enough people have been involuntarily extended beyond their HPSP contract that we are on the PD's radar. My obligation is up in June does not convince them they will have a resident in July .

I have heard these stories, too, but I have yet to meet someone who has been involuntary extended beyond their HPSP contract. We have 7 docs (approx 50% of our clinic) getting out this summer, and we all have our orders and are getting out on time with fairly little hassle. Same thing happened last year. I hear the stories, but my personal experience leads me to believe that the stories are exaggerated. I'm not saying that it never happens, I'm just saying I know a lot of Navy GMOs. A lot of them have hated life, but they were all able to get out when their time was up.

The chief resident at my program had that happen to him. I know of couple others.

The MIT program pays us money for 3-4 years and expects nothing in return? Its Insane! We can just roll back into the IRR? There must be a catch. Nothing in this world is for free.

I am a curious person and have asked the recruiter all of the information on the program. In black and white.

The MIT program pays us money for 3-4 years and expects nothing in return? Its Insane! We can just roll back into the IRR? There must be a catch. Nothing in this world is for free.

I am a curious person and have asked the recruiter all of the information on the program. In black and white

I agree, it does sound insane. What I was told by a few people is that if the Navy can hang on to just 1 out of 10 doctors in the reserves through the MIT program, the cost benefit is worth it to them. You don't add on time because they are not paying for your training, which is what generally adds on obligation, they are just paying you as a reservist. I guess some people do it and decide that they like the reserves (there are some good benefits) and decide to stay. Anyways, the money is not that big of a deal--extra always helps, of course, but the big draw is that they say they won't activate you while in residency--I would hope they wouldn't do this anyway from the IRR, but you never know. Being reactivated out of residency would royally suck. Also, I've been told that it's only good if your residency lasts as long or longer than your mandatory IRR time--and at the end, you would either permanently end your military commitment--you wouldn't roll back into the IRR because your 8 yrs would be up and you would be fully out. Or, you decide to become a regular reservist. However, if the length of time you will be in residency is shorter than the remainder of your mandatory 8 years, it may be difficult to get back in the IRR for that last year (your first year as an attending). I'm not trying to be the voice of authority on this, this is just what I've heard through the grapevine from "people who know people who've done it", but some first hand knowledge would be great. I don't put too much faith into what the recruiters tell me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways, the money is not that big of a deal--extra always helps, of course, but the big draw is that they say they won't activate you while in residency--I would hope they wouldn't do this anyway from the IRR, but you never know. Being reactivated out of residency would royally suck.

You should check one of my previous posts regarding IRR. I gave a link to the AFI regarding IRR service while in residency. It basically states that if we are in a training program while in IRR we are protected from being mobilized. So if the only big deal for you is that you are non-deployable while in residency (and not the money ;)) don't sign up for the MIT program. It would be essentially taking an unnecessary risk

Found it...

Here is some good reference material (Maybe we can sticky this or something?)...

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/123513p.pdf

and

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/121518p.pdf

For those of us that this applies (i.e. GMOs that are going into residency after finishing their ADSC or going into a fellowship/another residency after their ADSC)...

6.4. Hardships and Delays
6.4.1. Hardships. Individuals with orders to involuntary AD that shall result in
extreme community or personal hardship, on their request, may be transferred to the
Standby Reserve, the Retired Reserve, or may be discharged, in accordance with DoD
Directive 1200.7 (reference (g)).
6.4.2. Delays. Individuals involuntarily ordered to AD or ADT under this
section, may be authorized a delay, according to the rules set by the Secretary concerned.
6.5. Exceptions. Members of the Ready Reserve that are unable to participate for
any of the following reasons shall be processed, as indicated:

6.5.6. Individuals Enrolled in Health Professions Graduate Study. Individuals
enrolled in a course of graduate study in one of the health professions shall be screened,
in accordance with DoD Directive 6000.12 (reference (j)).

There is a lot of fine print attached to this program.:thumbdown:

You can be deployed even during residency depending on the specialty. This hasn't happened but with the exodus of doctors and PAs out of the Navy coupled with the reduction of GMOs that might change.

I am in a similar situation as the original poster (Navy HPSP, getting out after 5yr to go to civ residency, 3yr IRR left) and considering the MIT program. One of my friends got out last year and has been in the MIT since...so far he reports all is as promised. I also know 3 other colleagues getting out that are convinced there is no catch and have just signed on.

For those of you that have been researching MIT, anyone come across more solid info? Any more reports from people in the program?

I am in a similar situation as the original poster (Navy HPSP, getting out after 5yr to go to civ residency, 3yr IRR left) and considering the MIT program. One of my friends got out last year and has been in the MIT since...so far he reports all is as promised. I also know 3 other colleagues getting out that are convinced there is no catch and have just signed on.

For those of you that have been researching MIT, anyone come across more solid info? Any more reports from people in the program?

This is from a recruiter(see below). The Stipend they refer to is the 1900/mo. with a 3 year reserve obligation after residency. They rec. I don't take the stipend because I don't want to incur obligation. The only downside I can see to the bonus is that the pro-rated payback to get out of the reserve is before taxes. Loan repayment also has an obligation. Lastly, it doesn't reduce GI bill benifits....does anyone have any more info on that?

There is no way to take the stipend without obligation. You can take advantage of the $10K bonus, and the remote drill pay, without obligation, other than you stay in the MIT program for three years of your residency. As stated below, you "owe"
the Navy Reserve three years for the bonus, but your residency years count toward that obligation. You WILL NOT be eligible for mobilization of any kind while you are in residency, and you can slip into the IRR when your residency is complete, if that is your wish. As I've learned, it's free money for doing what you will already be doing.
The transition into the SELRES would be seamless and immediate

There is no way to take the stipend without obligation. You can take advantage of the $10K bonus, and the remote drill pay, without obligation, other than you stay in the MIT program for three years of your residency. As stated below, you "owe"the Navy Reserve three years for the bonus, but your residency years count toward that obligation. You WILL NOT be eligible for mobilization of any kind while you are in residency, and you can slip into the IRR when your residency is complete, if that is your wish. As I've learned, it's free money for doing what you will already be doing.
The transition into the SELRES would be seamless and immediate[/quote]

So you can get the 10K bonus + drill pay and have no obligation other than to stay in the MIT for 3 years? I was not aware that you could get a 10 K bonus as well. How does one apply for that without taking the stipend?

These are a few points on the MIT you should know before committing to the reserves:

1) By taking the 10K bonus you will incur in a 3 years “soft” commitment with the reserves. Apparently you can resign before the 3 year mark and return part of your bonus but this is not as simple as it sounds. The Navy Reserves can actually decide to retain you until you finish the 3 years. This usually happens with war critical positions in the military; LIKE DOCTORS!!!

2) Your payback starts after you first IDT (Inactive Duty Training); not at the beginning of your residency.

3) You are protected from deployment for the initial 2 years of your reserve time; not the duration of your residency. IOW, there is always a potential of getting mobilized before you medical training is over.:eek::eek::scared:

4) The safest option IMHO is to join the reserves through the MIT w/o taking the 10K bonus, collect reserve pay for 2 years while you are “protected” and then resign. In this scenario, you will avoid the possibility of getting deployed during your medical training while making around $600 bucks per month for 2 years. I know $10,000 sound pretty sweet but the possibility of being mobilized during my PGY-4 offset its benefits. :thumbdown:

Hope this helps...:luck:

DiveMD
19 days to go!!!

You WILL NOT be eligible for mobilization of any kind while you are in residency, and you can slip into the IRR when your residency is complete, if that is your wish. As I've learned, it's free money for doing

False.

Please read my previous post. You are only protected for the first 2 years of your residency (reserve time).

I have selected the MIT. Email for more information. I have spoken with both BUPERS and CNAF Surgeon regarding potential deployment after 2 years. I was assured - and have it reflected in my contract - that I am protected for the duration of residency (4 years). I did not take any bonuses, but do receive approx $600.00/mo for "drill time" (connected to residency training). The only requirement is a bi-annual PRT. This, in combination with the GI Bill, helps off set the 50% pay-cut I took to returned to civilian GME.

Here is a copy of my contract for the MIT program. I am an EM resident and am considered to be in a DOD critical wartime specialty.

"________________: I acknowledge that participation in the Medical - in- Training (MIT) drill option bears unique responsibilities and obligations in addition to those requirements for the normal FLEX IDT drill option.

I acknowledge that:

MIT participants must perform 2 IDTs per half year at the supporting NRA to fulfill PFA and Navy administrative requirements.

MIT participants can use their didactic training time toward drill credit once it is approved by their unit CO. The Individual Monthly Drill Performance Form (NAVRES 1570/16) documents the drills and is submitted to the unit CO/OIC to record drill performance.

I understand that a minimum of 50 points (one point per drill) a year including 15 membership point , is required to qualify for a satisfactory year for retirement. To be eligible for a Navy Reserve retirement I must complete 20 qualifying years of service.

I must remain within Navy fitness standards and pass the semi-annual PRT.

As an MIT participant, I AM EXEMPT FROM MOBILIZATION if the specialty for which I am training is on the DOD critical wartime specialty list. Otherwise, I must apply for possible exemption."

Hope this helps clear some confusion.

Mark
USN Flight Surgeon
EM Resident
Albany Med School - 2003

I have selected the MIT. Email for more information. I have spoken with both BUPERS and CNAF Surgeon regarding potential deployment after 2 years. I was assured - and have it reflected in my contract - that I am protected for the duration of residency (4 years). I did not take any bonuses, but do receive approx $600.00/mo for "drill time" (connected to residency training). The only requirement is a bi-annual PRT. This, in combination with the GI Bill, helps off set the 50% pay-cut I took to returned to civilian GME.

So, what are you doing after you finish your residency?

Are you going to stay in the Guard/Reserves or try to transition to the IRR to finish out your 8 year Minimum Service Obligation (MSO)?

Seriously, what's the catch? Apparently, you are non-deployable during the length of your residency and when you are done you can transition seeminglessly to IRR without any commitment post-training to the MIT program (assuming you don't take the 10K bonus)?

I could care less about the money (although it would be a nice bonus in addition to the GI Bill). The main benefit seems the lack of mobilization while you are in residency training.

Also, is there any way for an AF Flight doc to join this program (i.e. Cross-Service)?

Anyone with any new updates on the Navy MIT program?
I am missing where the benefit of the GI Bill comes to play, since you have already completed all your training except for residency. What would you be eligible for during residency as it relates to the GI Bill?

I'm receiving both MIT "Flex Drill" monthly pay (~$680 as an O4, don't quote me on that) and Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits. Post replies if questions continue on MIT program and GI Bill during residency. I've been through both with a fine tooth comb, but I'm coming late to this particular forum, so questions may no longer exist.

I'm receiving both MIT "Flex Drill" monthly pay (~$680 as an O4, don't quote me on that) and Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits. Post replies if questions continue on MIT program and GI Bill during residency. I've been through both with a fine tooth comb, but I'm coming late to this particular forum, so questions may no longer exist.

Thanks for posting, divemeddoc. I am reluctantly coming to accept that residency probably will not tolerate a drilling reservist, law or no law, so I won't be able to continue in my current track (USAFR, IMA, non-medical career field) for more than another 2-3 years. I do want to remain affiliated with the reserves, so that leaves a medical program with flexible drilling. I haven't found any such thing in the USAFR or ANG, and I can't quite see myself in the Army, so I'm very curious to find specifics of the Navy Reserve program.

Questions definitely still exist! The dtic links previously posted didn't work for me (do they require a .mil address?)... other than that, I've found these websites:
http://www.navy-la.com/doctors.html
http://www.navy-officer.com/reserves.html
which don't go into details at all. Neither one says anything about a stipend, for instance, and since I'm hoping to remain in anyway, I certainly won't mind taking money to do it.

One of my rules of thumb is always to read the regulations myself. Obviously, after 10 years, I pretty much know where to look and what to read when dealing with Air Force regs, but I don't have a clue about the Navy. It's weird to think of switching services (what I know about the Navy consists of the impression that they have a bazillion uniforms.) Do you know have any official sources of information, especially the applicable regulation? I take it, since you're pulling in O4 pay, that previous rank is retained (unlike USUHS or HPSP)? There's got to be a 2-weeks-a-year somewhere, even if drills are considered to be accomplished during routine academic work, right?

After that we get into what I don't know about being in the Navy Reserve after residency, but that's a whole different thread... does anybody know whether we have Navy Reservists hanging out on this forum anywhere?

Did your recruiter ever mention the infamous GMO tour before you signed the HPSP contact? Mine didn’t. He kept saying: “Don’t worry, is like civilian medical education but in uniform. You will not be deployed until you finish your residency.” :bullcrap: Eventually they dropped the GMO bomb at OIS. :boom:

My point is that the military lures you to sign something that sounds pretty good while the real “deal breakers” are deliberately concealed. That is definitely their MO. Now, after graduating from med school FOUR years ago, I am getting ready to start my residency in civilian institution. Is that ideal? Is that how you plan your medical education? I doubt it. HPSP sucks!:thumbdown:

I'm starting civ residency in July. Someone mentioned this program to me today and I found this board while looking into it. Some of the comments written, like the one above, are as if I wrote them. Unbelievable! Glad to know I am not the only one who feels like he got totally screwed. I don't want any affiliation with the military for any amount of money ever again. I value my freedom too much.

There is a lot of fine print attached to this program.:thumbdown:

You can be deployed even during residency depending on the specialty. This hasn't happened but with the exodus of doctors and PAs out of the Navy coupled with the reduction of GMOs that might change.

That is highly unlikely, if they start deploying doctors during residency its probably WWIII and there would be a draft anyway, and doctors are always the first to get drafted.

And how did you guys not hear about GMO's... before signing HPSP i researched every nook and cranny, and contemplated all the best case and worst case scenarios. Of course you are going to give more than you receive if you accept HPSP, its the freakin military, what were you expecting? You just have to be okay with that before you accept. GOod luck my friend.

Last edited:
Here is a copy of my contract for the MIT program. I am an EM resident and am considered to be in a DOD critical wartime specialty.

"________________: I acknowledge that participation in the Medical - in- Training (MIT) drill option bears unique responsibilities and obligations in addition to those requirements for the normal FLEX IDT drill option.

I acknowledge that:

MIT participants must perform 2 IDTs per half year at the supporting NRA to fulfill PFA and Navy administrative requirements.

MIT participants can use their didactic training time toward drill credit once it is approved by their unit CO. The Individual Monthly Drill Performance Form (NAVRES 1570/16) documents the drills and is submitted to the unit CO/OIC to record drill performance.

I understand that a minimum of 50 points (one point per drill) a year including 15 membership point , is required to qualify for a satisfactory year for retirement. To be eligible for a Navy Reserve retirement I must complete 20 qualifying years of service.

I must remain within Navy fitness standards and pass the semi-annual PRT.

As an MIT participant, I AM EXEMPT FROM MOBILIZATION if the specialty for which I am training is on the DOD critical wartime specialty list. Otherwise, I must apply for possible exemption."

Hope this helps clear some confusion.

Mark
USN Flight Surgeon
EM Resident
Albany Med School - 2003

This thread was active in 2008 and I am curious if anyone who decided to do MIT could offer further feedback on how it is going?

Above it mentions as a MIT participant there is exemption IF THE SPECIALITY IS ON THE DOD critical specialty list. Were do we find this?

Personally I have been honored to serve as a Naval FS but am looking at getting out next July at the start of residency. Any feedback would be appreciated.

R/
Hippuppy

This thread was active in 2008 and I am curious if anyone who decided to do MIT could offer further feedback on how it is going?

Above it mentions as a MIT participant there is exemption IF THE SPECIALITY IS ON THE DOD critical specialty list. Were do we find this?

Personally I have been honored to serve as a Naval FS but am looking at getting out next July at the start of residency. Any feedback would be appreciated.

R/
Hippuppy

I'm doing MIT now, and have so far found them true to their word. I send in a drill chit every month, and (usually) they send me a check every month. When they don't, I remind them ,and they put it in the next months paycheck. Going to drill every six months to do the PRT is a pain, but worth the monthly check. My residency, and time in MIT, will take me to the end of my 8 years.
They offer another program that pays a stipend, and a lot more cash, but generates an active reserve commitment. I wasn't looking for that.
People on this board get really worked up about being mobilized during residency, and I think that issue is over blown. You'll be in the selres or IRR, so you might as well be in the one that pays you. The cash is sitting on the ground. You just have to pick it up.

The TMS program is still here but as of 1 March there is a change. You can not transfer to the IRR after residency, you have to complete 3 years in the Reserves (1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year). Then you can transfer into the Inactive Ready Reserves. You get paid $500-600 every month even though you only actually attend 2 weekends each year. The others are accounted for by what you're already doing in your residency.

Someone mentioned above that you could be recalled during your IRR time, which is true, but it has never happened in the 200+ years of the Navy. It's a popular theme with the Army, but has never happened in the Navy.

Option 2:
If you know you want the pride of service and you want the added experience of Navy medicine, then there is the Stipend and Loan Repayment option. You give the Navy 2 years Reserve time for every year you receive this but you get $2060 per month Stipend AND you get $50,000 loan repayment. Receive it 2 years, give 4. Receive it 3, give 6.

We should look at it as a chance to serve our country, even if only part time for just a few years. But you can also look at it as 3 years of residency equals $74,160 in pay plus $50,000 loan repayment and you serve part-time for 6 years (still making about $10,000 each year).

Then add the Post 9/11 GI Bill that you'll be entitled to. 100% tuition paid plus living expenses that you can use yourself or transfer to your spouse/children.

Add the $50 month Medical Insurance option you have as a reservist (also during your residency).

Add the travel, experiences, and friendships you gain along the way.

Presidents who served:
John F. Kennedy (1961-63)
Lyndon B. Johnson (1963-69)
Richard M. Nixon (1969-74)
Gerald R. Ford (1974-77)
Jimmy Carter (1977-81)
George Bush (1989-93)

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy,'" wrote President John F. Kennedy in August 1963.

As you can tell, I'm serving and proud to be in the Navy!

Last edited:
Babalou23- Cross-posting is a violation of the Terms of Service on SDN. Do not copy what you're written and paste it into multiple threads. Doing this will eventually get you banned.