Attending Officer training during medical school interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966906

Hey guys,

So I am attending officer training school/basic combat training this coming fall and am afraid that I will have medical school interviews at this time. How would I be able to attend my medical school interviews? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I am attending officer training school/basic combat training this coming fall and am afraid that I will have medical school interviews at this time. How would I be able to attend my medical school interviews? Thanks in advance
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something here. You're just starting as a officer and applying to medical school at the same time? I knew an officer who applied to medical school after doing ROTC and was trying to get out before her ROTC commitment was done and had to get a waiver from the Army Surgeon General to go and do HPSP. She did get it approved but then crazily deferred her acceptance anyway (but that's another story). Is it easier to waive an initial officer obligation and do HPSP in other services?

I'm taking a gap year and would like to go to officer school to be an army medical officer. I'm trying to do this during my gap year while interviewing for medical schools. How difficult would this be to do? When does army officer candidate school typically take place? Could I do that next summer/spring 2022 after I've (hopefully) been accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking a gap year and would like to go to officer school to be an army medical officer. I'm trying to do this during my gap year while interviewing for medical schools. How difficult would this be to do? When does army officer candidate school typically take place? Could I do that next summer/spring 2022 after I've (hopefully) been accepted?

Again, no comprendo. You're going to OCS in your gap year before going to medical school? Usually when one goes to OCS the intention and obligation is become an Army officer (not officer in HPSP). That requires a waiver that isn't exactly guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You will not be able to attend any med school interviews during Army Basic Training or OCS. You will have little ability to communicate with the 'outside world' during Basic Training with the exception of US Mail. You might get your phone back during the final phase of Basic Training. Generally Officer Candidates that go through the Basic Training to OCS route are assigned their branch (Armor, Infantry, Medical Service Corps, Ordnance, ...) based on the OCS Order of Merit List (OML). OCS produces very few, if any, Medical Service Corps Officers currently. Do you have a qualifying degree for Medical Service Corps and have you been 'boarded' and selected? If you have a qualifying Medical Specialty degree (Pharmacy, ...) you would generally be Direct Commissioned and attend DCC and BOLC rather than Basic Training and OCS. Go see a Military Health Care Recruiter or look here Medical Service Corps.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless I’m not tracking very well, your plan sounds like a horrible one. Seems like you’re hedging your bets but I don’t think you understand that the military isn’t something you just step away from.

Reactions: 1 user
Whoa. Agree. Hard stop. @78954bo you are committing yourself to a non-medical Army Officer career path with no guarantees of release to do medical training.

Once you have an acceptance to medical school you will be sent to an abridged version of officer basic prior to starting medical school. If you go to OCS before being accepted in to a medical pathway (HPSP, USUHS, etc.) you will not necessarily be release for medical training. Like basically zero chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys for all of the advice. This is really helpful for me. My other option is to enlist as a E3-4.....

If I were to enlist in the US army reserves, would I be able to apply for the MDSSP and go to medical school next year/be released for medical school training?

You will not be able to attend any med school interviews during Army Basic Training or OCS. You will have little ability to communicate with the 'outside world' during Basic Training with the exception of US Mail. You might get your phone back during the final phase of Basic Training. Generally Officer Candidates that go through the Basic Training to OCS route are assigned their branch (Armor, Infantry, Medical Service Corps, Ordnance, ...) based on the OCS Order of Merit List (OML). OCS produces very few, if any, Medical Service Corps Officers currently. Do you have a qualifying degree for Medical Service Corps and have you been 'boarded' and selected? If you have a qualifying Medical Specialty degree (Pharmacy, ...) you would generally be Direct Commissioned and attend DCC and BOLC rather than Basic Training and OCS. Go see a Military Health Care Recruiter or look here Medical Service Corps.
I am a Healthcare professional (won't say profession due to anonymity reasons) and have passed boards, working right now, but looking to transition to becoming a physician. Plan to take MDSSP for medical school and serve after med school, should I even join the medical service corps next year while interviewing for med school?

I am a Healthcare professional (won't say profession due to anonymity reasons) and have passed boards, working right now, but looking to transition to becoming a physician. Plan to take MDSSP for medical school and serve after med school, should I even join the medical service corps next year while interviewing for med school?

Why do you need to go into the military right now? If you’re employed, just continue working for the next year before going to Med school. Military service of any kind could prevent you from going to Med school if accepted.

Reactions: 4 users
General guidance is to join the military at the last possible point - after acceptance to med school at the earliest. Some allied health professions are over strength on AD and Reserves - has a Healthcare Recruiter told you your specialty is being recruited? Any training (especially initial military training) scheduled during the med school application process will interfere with completing secondaries and interviewing.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahhh I see. Thank you for the advice. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to military medicine.

So best advice is to wait until after a medical school acceptance?

Should I be in talks with a healthcare recruiter for MDSSP? the recruiters I've been talking to didn't seem familiar with MDSSP and we're pushing HPSP on me. They said MDSSP is very competitive to get for the army.... Is that true? I thought if you were accepted to attend medical school, that's the only requirement per Army website.

Ahhh I see. Thank you for the advice. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to military medicine.

So best advice is to wait until after a medical school acceptance?

Should I be in talks with a healthcare recruiter for MDSSP? the recruiters I've been talking to didn't seem familiar with MDSSP and we're pushing HPSP on me. They said MDSSP is very competitive to get for the army.... Is that true? I thought if you were accepted to attend medical school, that's the only requirement per Army website.

Not sure about the second question, as I'm not as familiar with MDSSP as many others on this forum. But as far as the first question, I think that it's a pretty answer. Absolutely do not sign up to the military right now. Get accepted into medical school, then look at your options. But feel free to ask questions once that time comes.

Thanks guys for all of the advice. This is really helpful for me. My other option is to enlist as a E3-4.....

If I were to enlist in the US army reserves, would I be able to apply for the MDSSP and go to medical school next year/be released for medical school training?

Do not do this. You sign up as enlisted you sign a contract. You get assigned to a unit. They do not have to release you to become an officer. They can hold you through your obligation you signed for as enlisted.