For recently matched seniors...please give us your stats!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heartolgist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since M3s are soon to start the process of applying to residency, I thought it would be a good idea to get some sense of the "stats" of recently matched seniors. It would be awesome if you could provide us with some information (as little or as much) as you would like to give. A possible format to consider:

1. Where did you match?
2. Where you go to medical school? (you can say top 10 or middle tier or whatever if you would like)
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores
4. Are you AOA?
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched?
6. Any other significant information? MD/PhD student, Year-off research (HHMI, Doris Duke, etc), publications, etc.

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

As I did extensively check out this forum for this same question it would be pretty hypocritical if I didn't contribute. My stats are so-so, so hopefully a big up to people who didn't get >250 for step scores (it seems as if all those people hang out on this forum).

1. Top tier program
2. Middle Tier program
3. 214/242
4. Nominated Junior, Senior AOA, nominated Internal Medicine award, nominated for Honors in research
5. Nope no away rotation
6. No publications, 1 research project. Honored all 3rd year rotations aside from 1, honored Medicine core and sub-I.

Good luck have fun! :D

Best of luck guys!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hello,

1) Stanford
2) US News #30-50
3) Step I 258, Step II 266
4) Senior AOA, honors medicine, summa cum laude
5) No away
6) 2nd author for one publication

best of luck!

Since M3s are soon to start the process of applying to residency, I thought it would be a good idea to get some sense of the "stats" of recently matched seniors. It would be awesome if you could provide us with some information (as little or as much) as you would like to give. A possible format to consider:

1. Where did you match?
2. Where you go to medical school? (you can say top 10 or middle tier or whatever if you would like)
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores
4. Are you AOA?
6. Any other significant information? MD/PhD student, Year-off research (HHMI, Doris Duke, etc), publications, etc.

THANKS!

1. Will not post...but suffice it to say it was my #1 rank --NYC middle tier program
2. An osteopathic school
3. Step 1: 197, Step 2 first try fail:(, 2nd try 222:)
4. NO
5. NO
6. Non-traditional "older" student--second career, unpublished--but 1 in-school research project

1. Where did you match? Home program
2. Where you go to medical school? Midwest allopathic, 20s/30s on USN&WR
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores: 238 / 234 I think
4. Are you AOA? No
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched? N/A
6. Any other significant information? MSTP, 5 articles (3 1st author), fair amount of community service.

Happy with the interviews I got (8 out of 10, including top programs, but wanted to stay at home program)

Where matched- UAB
Medical School- Top tier
Step 1/2- 253/279
Senior AOA
No away rotation
Some Research but no publications

1. Where did you match?
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores
4. Are you AOA?

THANKS!

1. An affiliate of Mt. Sinai in New York (was actually pre-matched)
2. University of the West Indies (Jamaica)
3.190/248/210
4. No AOA at my med school
5. No away rotations, no USCE
6. 5 years out of med school, working at a private hospital in Jamaica since then

Hey guys, here are my stats.

1. Matched at UCSF, my home institution and top choice.:oops:
2. Top tier med school
3. 238/255
4. No AOA, no way (just pointing out its not necessary for matching at a top program). Honored in junior/senior medicine. No other 3rd year honors.
5. N/A
6. Year off to get an MPH, research with one poster presentation and one first author publication of review article (on HIV testing). Oh and I couple's matched.

Good luck in the match MS3->4's. Its stressful but ends well!

1. Hopkins
2. Lower tier med school
3. 253/265
4. AOA senior year (no junior year option)
5. No away
6. Lots of research, no pubs

Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
Mid Level Midwest Med School
239 Step 1 / Still waiting on score for Step 2
Senior AOA
Honored all 3rd year rotations, Lange book award for basic sciences
Away rotation in ID at BIDMC --> letter from there
JD and MS (in philosophy (med ethics)+3 years work towards Ph.D): 2 solo authored pubs - one in law (patent law and HIV meds) and one in philosophy

1. Where did you match?
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores
4. Are you AOA?

THANKS!

1. Hopkins
2. Out of USNWR top 50, but I would call it middle tier
3. 238/257
4. Junior AOA
5. Yes
6. Honors in all clinical rotations except 1 high pass (peds), 2 1st author basic science pubs from 3 years of research b/t undergrad and med school.

this thread is a good idea. thanks to those who posted. keep 'em coming!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UAB (my #1)
2. Lower tier
3. 235/252
4. Sr AOA
5. Away rotation at a place I ended up not ranking highly
6. Small research project. No pubs.

1) top tier program
2) lower-mid tier MD medical school
3) 240/233
4) S. AOA
5) no away electives
6) reseach, presentations, extensive volunteering, extensive EX-curric involvement, no pubs; HONORS in all junior clerkships (xpt for Surgery), honors in almost all second year courses and in half of first year courses.

Its possible, keep dreaming :) goodluck guys! :):luck:

1. Wash U. (#2)
2. UTSW
3. 269/276
4. Sr. AOA
5. No aways
6. Honors in most rotations, near honors in medicine (!!), neuro, family. Did some research this year, didn't make into application but talked about it during interviews.

1. MGH
2. Mid tier med school
3. 255/257
4. Jr AOA
5. No aways
6. 3 first author publications, 1 second author publication, 4 abstracts, 1 submitted manuscript. Some other extracurric's, but nothing too big.

1. Where did you match? Community Program West Coast (my 1st choice - a mentor that left the med school for this place drew me there)
2. Where you go to medical school? Top 25
3. 222/240
4. Did away rotation but not at a program I ranked highly
5. No AOA, all honors third year except OB (HATED OB and I didn't really keep it a secret)
6. Any other significant information? 2-1st author publications during med school, Research with significant # of presentations at university and regional meetings - will continue same research during residency

1. Wash U. (#2)
2. UTSW
3. 269/276
4. Sr. AOA
5. No aways
6. Honors in most rotations, near honors in medicine (!!), neuro, family. Did some research this year, didn't make into application but talked about it during interviews.

269/276... what's the catch, yossarian? those scores are preposterous :)

bump

And I'd love to hear from some more earth people with average stats.

As a very average person (at least as far as medical school is concerned), I would like to say there really is hope for us:

1. Top ten program in a city people want to live in (my #1 choice)
2. Mid-tier medical school
3. 230/240
4. NO AOA
5. Did an away at the program I matched in, and got a letter out of it
6. 3rd author on a paper from research in college; absolutely no research in medical school. I did NOT honor a single 3rd year rotation, not even medicine, nor did I win any fancy awards. However, I did honor my medicine sub-I and MICU rotation as a 4th year. Overall, I am ranked in the dead middle of my class. One of the attendings I worked with at my home institution knew the program director at the place I matched, and he put in a good word for me.

I was very intimidated by these boards during the interview/match process, because almost everyone who posts here seemed to look better on paper than I did. I figured there was no way I would match at my #1 choice, but it happened. For those of you out there like me, don't shy away from applying to programs you think you'd like to go to just because you don't think you have the "numbers." Use your resources. And try to do an away rotation so they can see how awesome you are as a clinician and a person.

Good luck! Like someone else said here, it really does end well. Most of my classmates got their top choice :)

Sorry, trying to avoid a duplicate message

As a very average person (at least as far as medical school is concerned), I would like to say there really is hope for us:

1. Top ten program in a city people want to live in (my #1 choice)

Hey santaclaws,
I'm just curious - what ranking system are you referring to by saying "top ten"? I have seen a couple different ones - USNWR has one; NIH has a list for funding. Thanks...

Hey muscles,

I'm referring to one of the ranking systems you mention, although honestly, it doesn't matter which because every system has some sort of political bias. I only wanted to make the point that people who don't have the grades they hoped they'd have can still match successfully, including at "top tier programs".

Agree with your post - rankings have biases one way or the other; a lot of people on SDN have some sort of ranking list they refer to but often fail to specify which one - I'm just curious to see what all is out there, that's all. But I agree with you in your point that you don't have to get 250+ on step I and be AOA to get a good residency.

This discussion is great!

There are questions on other forums to how much these factors (class rank, usmle scores, etc.) actually play out in getting a good residency.

Almost everyone except one person was in AOA? Isn't that top 10% of your class?

Any others with no so great stats get into a good program in a good city?

Also, what is the advantage of going to a big name school (i.e. harvard, mayo, etc.)

Do you get paid more? Learn more? better locations?

Keep the stats coming! Thanks again!

can the people who matched this year add their info?

1. Matched at Duke (#1)
2. US News #10-#20
3. Step 1 240s Step 2 260s
4. Not AOA, top 15% of class though so close. Honored all 3rd year rotations except 1, honored medicine sub-I, Critical care, and cardio elective
5. No away
6. 2 research projects, no pubs. Significant leadership experience
Got interviews all 16 places I applied (including MGH, Brigham, Hopkins). Was couples matching.

1. UWashington-Seattle (#1)
2. mid-lower tier school
3. 237/245
4. 2x away electives at a top-tier NYC program & top-tier mid-west program - got great letters from both, but neither ended up being in my top 3
5. No AOA
6. MSTP, 2x 1st author basic science pubs, non-US citizen

user_offline.gif

There are plenty of people in "good" IM residencies who don't have board scores in the 240's, 250's or 260's, often not even the 230's. There are a ton of people in good IM programs who were not in AOA. I am actually quite shocked at the USMLE scores posted on here for people who matched in IM.
I think there is a response bias in that the peeps with the high scores and the AOA students are probably posting more. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My stats are from a few years ago:
1) matched at good IM program (would probably be top 20-30, not top 10....depends on whose rating system you ascribe to). It was my #1 choice.
2) went to a high tier med school
3) step 1 mid 220's, step 2 240s. I did have a 2nd author publication in a good journal, related to IM. Also had other research without publications.
4) was not AOA, or even close to AOA. Did not honor many clerkships in 3rd year, but did fine/solid. Did honor medicine subI.
5) did not do any away rotations

I'm impressed by the number of publications by a lot of those who posted. This shows the importance that IM programs place on academics/research, although it isn't as critical to getting in if you have high grades and scores.

Keep in mind that how "hard" it is to match somewhere is also related to the location of the residency program (geographic) sometimes as much or more as the quality or academic-ness of the program. For example, it will be easier to match at somewhere like Mayo, places in the South/Southeast or in Texas than in Boston, NYC, or California.

1. matched at cornell
2. top 25 med school
3. step 1: 240/99 step 2: 260/99
4. not aoa. honored most of third year (including medicine). honored all of fourth year (including med sub-i, micu sub-i).
5. no away
6. lots of research, 1 poster presentation at national conference

Last edited:
There are plenty of people in "good" IM residencies who don't have board scores in the 240's, 250's or 260's, often not even the 230's. There are a ton of people in good IM programs who were not in AOA. I am actually quite shocked at the USMLE scores posted on here for people who matched in IM.
I think there is a response bias in that the peeps with the high scores and the AOA students are probably posting more. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My stats are from a few years ago:
1) matched at good IM program (would probably be top 20-30, not top 10....depends on whose rating system you ascribe to). It was my #1 choice.
2) went to a high tier med school
3) step 1 mid 220's, step 2 240s. I did have a 2nd author publication in a good journal, related to IM. Also had other research without publications.
4) was not AOA, or even close to AOA. Did not honor many clerkships in 3rd year, but did fine/solid. Did honor medicine subI.
5) did not do any away rotations

I'm impressed by the number of publications by a lot of those who posted. This shows the importance that IM programs place on academics/research, although it isn't as critical to getting in if you have high grades and scores.

Keep in mind that how "hard" it is to match somewhere is also related to the location of the residency program (geographic) sometimes as much or more as the quality or academic-ness of the program. For example, it will be easier to match at somewhere like Mayo, places in the South/Southeast or in Texas than in Boston, NYC, or California.

I'll contribute since Dragonfly did. I am sure that I am very mediocre to some of the posters in the IM forum.

1. Matched top #30-50? IM program, matched fellowship top #10 program
2. Graduated from a Carib school (oh my!!)
3. On the Steps: 196/217/227 (all first try-terrible standardized test taker)
4. No AOA at my school, high honors on all my rotations
5. Away rotations are the only option for Carib students
6. Was career change, former marine biologist. Undergraduate, post-doc research, 1 pub 5th author, one pending. 15 years of community service in US and islands.

Hope this helps, esp for all the "average" students. Good luck to all!!

Sidethought: To the other average students, what really helped me was my research and community service. I had a degree in marine biology, so I worked on a Bachelor of Medicine prior to clinicals to compensate.

And, no, even though I was a career change, I was not the older non-traditional student.

I'll do this for my nephew (BS in Bio at Rice):

1. Where did you match? Baylor-Houston (IM)
2. Where did you go to medical school? UT-San Antonio
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores: 240/245
4. Are you AOA? No
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched? Yes
6. Any other significant information? Three co-authored publications, one research project, one poster presentation, mostly high honors on rotations.

1. US News #10-20 (my first choice--great city and a different region of the country than I'm from)
2. US News #50-60
3. 221/228
4. No AOA, No honors in medicine clerkship but honors in Sub-I and several other clerkships. Mostly passes in first 2 years. No other honors or awards.
5. No away rotations
6. One co-authored pub, 3 abtracts, 1 presentation (all related to a pre-med school job), and 1 book chapter

There is hope you guys! You don't have to be a remarkable student or have stellar stats to get what you want. Just LOVE what you do! If you do, it will shine through in your PS and in your letters of recommendation. Once you get the interview a good attitude and being able to speak passionately about your personal goals will get you much further than you think! Once you're at the interview they are just looking for people they want to be around every day for the next 3 years. I was in the last group of people invited to interview at the program I got into--I obviously had the worst stats in the final pool but I still got in! Good luck everyone!

To add to the data...

1. Where did you match? Ohio State
2. Where did you go to medical school? Low-Mid Allo school
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores: 239/250
4. Are you AOA? No
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched? No
6. Any other significant information? Honored Sub-I in gen med and MICU, high pass in 3rd yr im rotation, pretty poor grades in basic sciences, no research

Thanks to the other contributors:thumbup:

1. Where did you match? BCM
2. Where you go to medical school? (you can say top 10 or middle tier or whatever if you would like) Whatever tier UTMB is in
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores 251/239 (Took this 2 weeks after Hurricane Ike... crazy times. Nobody asked about it, anyway)
4. Are you AOA? Yep
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched? Nope. I did none of these.
6. Any other significant information? I'm growing a beard

1. Where did you match? a top program in Chicago
2. Where did you go to medical school? USNWR #20-40
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores: 217/260
4. Are you AOA? Senior AOA (H in IM, Surg, Psych, EM, SubI, high pass Peds)
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched? No
6. Any other significant information? No published research

1. IU (#1)
2. IU
3. 192/200
4. No AOA
5. No away rotations
6. 7 peer reviewed publications (4 first author), 8 conference abstracts, excellent LOR's

1. Where did you match?
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores
4. Are you AOA?

THANKS!

1. Small community program in midwest with great hours and resident satisfaction (my #1)
2. Florida State COM
3. 246/237
4. I am AOA
5. no away at the place I matched
6. was visibly pregnant during interviews. I want to do primary care.

1. Top tier program
2. Osteopathic medical school
3. 209/213
4. No away rotation at the program where I matched

Last edited:
1. Stanford (first-choice)
2. Top 25
3. 228/230
4. No AOA, middle of class. Honors in Medicine, Psych, and multiple Cards electives.
5. No away
6. Sarnoff Fellowship, 2 first-author pubs, 1 book chapter, 3 abstracts.

Really, you don't need to have star scores to match into a top place. I interviewed with the big-name programs (Brigham, Hopkins, etc) so don't stress if you're not 240+ like the majority of posters on this thread.

1. UCSF
2. Top 10 school
3. 259/260
4. AOA
5. Yes, I did an away rotation
6. Very minimal research. Lots of leadership/community service.

1. Where did you match? BCM
2. Where you go to medical school? UTMB
3. Step 1/Step 2 scores 227/224
4. Are you AOA? Hell no.
5. Did you do an away rotation at the place you matched? Not at all, too lazy to schedule any aways.
6. Any other significant information? Undergoing cerebral atrophy as we speak

1. Stanford (first-choice)
2. Top 25
3. 228/230
4. No AOA, middle of class. Honors in Medicine, Psych, and multiple Cards electives.
5. No away
6. Sarnoff Fellowship, 2 first-author pubs, 1 book chapter, 3 abstracts.

Really, you don't need to have star scores to match into a top place. I interviewed with the big-name programs (Brigham, Hopkins, etc) so don't stress if you're not 240+ like the majority of posters on this thread.

Uhh... Sarnoff fellowships and first-author pubs help a little :laugh:

Congrats to those who've matched and kudos on undergoing cerebral atrophy. When you're on call and you've gotten paged at 5 in the morning by someone who wants to know if you should give a patient his (already ordered) home BP meds given a blood pressure of 155/85, remembering the cerebral atrophy time of a year ago will help you be nice on the phone.

1. Where? Duke(#1)
2. Mid-Lower Tier
3. 235/245
4. AOA? Nope. High ranking... but no cigar.
5. Away rotation? Nope. Didn't think I needed it.
6. One research publication, decent journal, nothin' too fancy, but basic science. I got EXCELLENT LOR's from some of the well known attds. from my institution, which I think helped me more with the ranking than with getting interviews. Honored the majority of my 3rd year core's, as well as my SubI's in IM, and ICU. Good amount of leadership/community service experience (at least enough to sell during my interviews ;) ).

All in all... I wasn't the most competitive candidate -at least not judging from the posters in this forum... YYYIKES, but I was pretty competitive coming from a Mid-lower tier school. I didn't get all of the interviews I wanted from top notched IM programs, but I got most (Johns Hopkins, U.Mich, Wash U., Cornell, Columbia, UCLA etc.). So like Dragonfly said above I think the posted here data is kinda skewed . Of course, being in a higher tier medical school, steps 240 or greater, AOA, PhD, etc. wouldn't hurt neither. But if you're interested in finding 'a' great IM program that matches your goals in life, I think it should work out fine for most people.