Tax issue: Business Deduction for work related education expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
I am a doctoral student in school to obtain my Psy.D. and I am currently practicing as a School Psychologist. I was wondering if you could give me some guidance about a tax deduction I would like to take on my Schedule A. I have done my research and from what I have gathered I can deduct all of my education expenses because they are work-related to maintain or improve skills and they are also expenses for education credits that increase my salary as a School Psychologist. The two rules are they can be deducted if:
1) the education maintains or improves a skill REQUIRED in the taxpayer's employment or other trade or business or 2) meets the express requirements of the taxpayer's employer, laws or regulations imposed as a condition to the taxpayer's retention of an established employment relationship, status or rate of compensation. These expenses are $19,000 which I have paid for by a loan and exceed 2% of adjusted gross income. Can you please, please tell me if I can deduct these expenses.. and if so, can you direct me to some literature including court cases or specificied examples for PsyD students. I do not want to be penalized by the IRS but want a fair chance at getting my maximum deduction possible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say the question is whether the doctoral program will qualify you for a new trade or business.

If completing the Psy.D. program allows you to do things that you couldn't do without that designation, I'm afraid the cost of obtaining a Psy.D. wouldn't be tax deductible.

On the other hand, if you can provide similar services without the Psy.D. designation, but you can do your job better with a Psy.D., then you could argue that it would be tax deductible since it's improving your skills in your current trade or business.

I have never seen this rule applied to Psychologists. I have seen that the IRS has ruled that a practicing dentist is allowed to deduct the cost of a speciality program, and a psychiatrist in training is allowed to deduct the cost of psychotherapy that is a required part of his or her training.

I hope this sheds some light on this matter for you. I'm sorry I can't give you a more exact answer.

Andy has hit the nail right on the head. The pertinent question is does your schooling QUALIFY you for a new job, it is not relevant whether or not you are going to use these new qualifications. These questions come up frequently, but your situation is closer to the line. Here are some things that would not be OK:

1) You work as a paralegal for a law firm and they tell you need to go to law school to stay employed there. You can't use the deduction because this allows you to get a law license and work as an attorney -- a completely different job.

2) You work as a medical researcher and decide to get you MD to bolster your resume. Similarly, since the MD trains you for a new job, you can't deduct it even if you intend on keeping the same research job.

The common theme her is it's the training that matters, not your job. If the training qualifies you for the new filed, you're out of luck.

Some things that would generally be OK: A corporate executive getting an MBA, a teacher getting a masters. Interestingly, the tax regs specifically allow deduction of expenses for a teacher getting administrative credentials even though this is a new field. I guess they have a good lobby.

Interestingly, Publication 970 has the following example:
"While working in the private practice of psychiatry, you enter a program to study and train at an accredited psychoanalytic institute. The program will lead to qualifying you to practice psychoanalysis. The psychoanalytic training does not qualify you for a new profession. It is qualifying work-related education because it maintains or improves skills required in your present profession."

For you, the most relevant factor may be whether you are currently eligible to get a license to practice psychiatry. If you program permits you to get that license, you are probably out of luck.

These are the rules for business related educational expenses. You would still need to consider the lifetime learning credit and the tuition and fees deduction

Ed

Thank you very much for your input and help on this matter.

I am obtaining a PsyD specifically in School Psychology. I am currently a practicing School Psychologist so it sounds like I can take the deduction because it is to maintain or improve skills in my current trade.

I appreciate your help.