Prosthodontics Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is an open discussion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of prosth programs to serve as a resource to current and future applicants. Please feel free to post anything you've learned about your own school's prosth program or through residency interviews/externships.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is an open discussion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of prosth programs to serve as a resource to current and future applicants. Please feel free to post anything you've learned about your own school's prosth program or through residency interviews/externships.

Nice idea Armorshell for the DDS students out there. Now Im a few years out of residency I wont assume to know whats happening in 2008 at the top programs but from when I was interviewing I recall Seattle, Texas, Chicago, Michigan to be solid programs. So Ill just mention program components that are a must.

1. At least 30% of cases are implant reconstructions
2. Implant placement is mandatory
3. Ask for the average number of elective cosmetic cases are completed
4. Average full mouths
5. Strong perio/OS program on campus
6. In house lab
7. Less important but are there any business lectures....this is a component of some ortho programs and is a big plus.

What about UCLA?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
What about UCLA?:confused:

It's very good. They only take a coupe, of residents a year which is a big advantage, offers a good stipend, but it's very competitive. Applicants need a Green Card too.

I think he means they accept foreign applicants only under the circumstance that they have a green card, not that they limit their acceptances to foreign applicants.

Are you saying UCLA's prosth program values foreign trained dentists very much?

No,thats not what the sentence says. Maybe your English does not come across clearly but in America the requirement for a Green card as a minimum requirement means the applicant is either American or that you are a permanent resident (Green Card).

For those residents or graduates of prosth programs. I am very interested in doing a prosth program but am really having a hard time deciding if it will be worth it in the end.

What percentage of your daily work are really the big cases which require a prostho residency. Do you need to be in a big city in order to actually get enough referalls? Alot of the prosthodontists I know in small towns work as GP's still doing most of their own endo, surgery, and crown lengthening because very few people in those areas can afford big full mouth reconstructions and implants. When they are doing implant cases most of the time its implant retained dentures.

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am trying for DDS program from past three years, but no use. This year planning to apply for 3 years prostho certificate program.
I have a question, is GPR and certificate program are same or different? If yes, which is good.What about future, can we practice with that? I appreciate your help. Please somebody help me.

Thank You
Shdentist:confused:

Hi,

I have a question, is GPR and certificate program are same or different? If yes, which is good.What about future, can we practice with that? I appreciate your help. Please somebody help me.
QUOTE]

A GPR and a certificate program are NOT the same. A GPR is a general practice residency, and is one year in length.

A certificate program is a post-graduate specialty program in which you earn a certificate in an area of expertise (such as pediatric dentistry). Many post-graduate specialty programs grant a masters degree (MSD or some variation) rather than simply a certificate.

Dear Calident,

Your thread was helpful. You said you completed your residency a few years ago... was it in Prostho? I was wondering if you could provide me with some info on Prostho programs:
1. I understand that they have become more competitive than before but do u have to be in the top of ur class?
2. Does private practice experience help?
3. Wat is the scope after residency especially if u are non-resident of the US.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Sdent