Clinical Rotations: Schools where you don't have to relocate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to compile an updated list of schools that allow you do your rotations in the vicinity of the school itself. I know many of the schools are working on this.

So if people don't mind sharing:
  • % of students that can do rotations within 30 mins (in urban/crowded area - like say PCOM) and 60 miles in say midwest etc so you'd have like an hour commute.
  • number of rotations guaranteed in the area
  • any other misc points of interest
I know schools like KCUMB/DMU were trying to work on this so it would be nice to get current information.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was trying to compile an updated list of schools that allow you do your rotations in the vicinity of the school itself. I know many of the schools are working on this.

So if people don't mind sharing:
  • % of students that can do rotations within 30 mins (in urban/crowded area - like say PCOM) and 60 miles in say midwest etc so you'd have like an hour commute.
  • number of rotations guaranteed in the area
  • any other misc points of interest
I know schools like KCUMB/DMU were trying to work on this so it would be nice to get current information.

Thanks!

I'm sure a lot of, if not all, schools are working on this and would like to offer students as many rotations as possible close to "home base". I can definitely say this is true for LECOM-B, but putting numbers or percentages to it is pretty much impossible, since 1)it's hard to know where everyone is going for every rotation and 2)it's even harder to know if where they are going was their first choice. Also, "guaranteed" and "rotation" are two words you won't often hear put together...this stuff can change pretty significantly with very little notice.

That said, most people I've talked to who wanted to stick around the Bradenton, St. Pete, Tampa area did not seem to have a problem pulling this off, at least that I've heard about...I'm sure that sounds extremely vague, but that's about all I know. Hope it helps a bit.

LMU-DCOM, located in Harrogate, TN has all of their rotations in Knoxville, which is about 20-30 minutes away from campus. I think it's definitely a benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each school has a certain number of spots available for rotations at "core hospitals". I'm looking for numbers of each which each school can easily give. While I understand its all done by lotteries and "guarantees" are hard to come by, there are generalizations that can be drawn about schools that allow you to do rotations in the general vicinity and those that don't.

I thought Knoxville was a 60 miles (solid hour and a half or so) away from Harrogate (to downtown)? A couple of students that had tried to commute have mentioned that in the LMU thread.

Here's two I can think of:
1) SOMA: 3 years at one clinical site, so you only have to move once (following the first year in AZ).
2) CCOM: Most of their rotations in the Chicago land area, so you could spend all four years there.

LMU-DCOM, located in Harrogate, TN has all of their rotations in Knoxville, which is about 20-30 minutes away from campus. I think it's definitely a benefit.

Not to be a downer....but until DCOM actually has students rotating, any generalizations should be avoided. Affiliate agreements have a tendency to change and things happen. Our program is significantly different now than it was when rotations first began. I'll bet that yours will be too.

Also, Chicagoland area does not mean a short commute. The school is in the western burbs and it could easilly take you 60-90 min to get to some of the sites. (If not 3 hours on bad weather days)

Not to be a downer....but until DCOM actually has students rotating, any generalizations should be avoided. Affiliate agreements have a tendency to change and things happen. Our program is significantly different now than it was when rotations first began. I'll bet that yours will be too.

From what I know, DCOM pays for its rotations. When I went in for my interview, it was pretty clear that all rotations would be within knoxville. From what I know, the LECOMs don't pay for their rotation spots. Its kinda like a scramble. I could be mistaken. If so, my bad.

From what I know, DCOM pays for its rotations. When I went in for my interview, it was pretty clear that all rotations would be within knoxville. From what I know, the LECOMs don't pay for their rotation spots. Its kinda like a scramble. I could be mistaken. If so, my bad.

One thing you should know is that no one in admissions really knows how rotations work. They know what they've been told, which generally isn't much. Since no one at the school has ever been through it, then all you can do is hope they know what they are talking about. Hopefully, when it comes down to it, your rotation years will be like a utopian society and everyone will be happy. But, reality isn't usually that way. Let's talk about this again in four years and see how things worked out.

Most osteopathic schools don't pay for rotations. That's the way it's been done traditionally. Lecom does pay for some, though, but not many. aying for them doesn't make them any better or guarantee that they'll be there when you need them. It does, however, raise your tuition. As for the "scramble", you are mistaken. I really don't know too many people who didn't get their first or second choice of spots in my class.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember someone saying that Touro-NV's rotations can be done in hospitals that are within a "15 minute radius" of the school.

That sounds...a bit too good to be true.

One thing you should know is that no one in admissions really knows how rotations work. They know what they've been told, which generally isn't much. Since no one at the school has ever been through it, then all you can do is hope they know what they are talking about. Hopefully, when it comes down to it, your rotation years will be like a utopian society and everyone will be happy. But, reality isn't usually that way. Let's talk about this again in four years and see how things worked out.

Most osteopathic schools don't pay for rotations. That's the way it's been done traditionally. Lecom does pay for some, though, but not many. aying for them doesn't make them any better or guarantee that they'll be there when you need them. It does, however, raise your tuition. As for the "scramble", you are mistaken. I really don't know too many people who didn't get their first or second choice of spots in my class.

Just to clear things up, when I interviewed at DCOM, the admissions department didn't speak to us regarding rotations....the director of clinical rotations did. its not like these people are "new" to the game, as the director was at Western for quiet a while. From what I know, paying for rotations does hold spots you. Rotations are also organized and its not a free for all. You at least know where you'll be. Not paying might result in people not getting their top choices and having to live out of a box. Then again, as you said, I'll find out for real in two years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember someone saying that Touro-NV's rotations can be done in hospitals that are within a "15 minute radius" of the school.

That sounds...a bit too good to be true.

I am not a student at Touro-NV but I live here in Las Vegas. We have a ton of hospitals in a 15-30 minutes radius in Las Vegas area. I don't know if all of them are in partnership with the school but then again I wouldn't see why not. So its VERY possible.

TouroCOM-NY has a ton of rotations all within a 1-hour commute using public transportation. The distance/time to rotations depends on where in the city you live, some students are in Manhattan, others in Queens, and some across the river in Jersey, but they're close.

Members don't see this ad :)
During my interview at Nova, I think they said that 8 of the 11 rotation sites are in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale "tri-county" area. I don't know what the "commute" will be like, but you probably wouldn't have to relocate if you are okay with city traffic.

I know that at OUCOM, rotations may be done without moving in Athens. However, everyone ends up doing their rotations (after a lottery) at a CORE hospital with only one initial move to the rotation site (Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc). It's all set up, so at least you don't have to worry about doing it yourself.

When I was applying this cycle, this issue was important to me. I don't want to have to move around every month or so during rotations due to family obligations. A huge selling point of Touro-NV was that all of the rotations can be completed in the Vegas area. (but, you CAN do away rotations as well if wanted)

I've confirmed this several times with Roger Corbman (Director of Admissions).

Just my $0.02 :D
Roselee

UNE has core rotation sites in many areas. A core site is an area you do all your 3rd year rotations within 1 hour of that area (generally within 30 minute drive). We have three sites in Maine, one in Rhode Island, one in Mass, one in NJ, one in NY (and I'm probably forgetting a few). And yes, UNE pays a small fee for their rotation sites.

HOWEVER. Lest you think that only the DO schools have you relocate: Portland, Biddeford, and Augusta all have Tufts students and UVM students rotating through as well. And I know Cooperstown NY just formed an exclusive contract with Columbia med school for rotation spots. So MD schools relocate students for rotations too -- not just DO schools.

OSU.

You can stay in Tulsa for all 4 years if you want. A few students choose to move to OKC for the final 2 years, but most choose to stay in Tulsa.

UNE has core rotation sites in many areas. A core site is an area you do all your 3rd year rotations within 1 hour of that area (generally within 30 minute drive). We have three sites in Maine, one in Rhode Island, one in Mass, one in NJ, one in NY (and I'm probably forgetting a few). And yes, UNE pays a small fee for their rotation sites.

HOWEVER. Lest you think that only the DO schools have you relocate: Portland, Biddeford, and Augusta all have Tufts students and UVM students rotating through as well. And I know Cooperstown NY just formed an exclusive contract with Columbia med school for rotation spots. So MD schools relocate students for rotations too -- not just DO schools.

That's very refreshing to know...UNE is my top choice THUS far...:D

AMEN...Disclaimer is that ShyRem has achieved demigod status in my book :love:

OSU.

You can stay in Tulsa for all 4 years if you want. A few students choose to move to OKC for the final 2 years, but most choose to stay in Tulsa.
Yeah just to clarify that your rural rotations of community hospital usually is outside of the tulsa area but most of the rotations are withing 30-45 mins of the hospital but by no means in the Tulsa metro area.

OSU-COM is really one of the few schools where you don't have to move for required (UMDNJ and PCOM come to mid as well) and if you do they provide you housing. That is part of the reason why I started this thread after meeting VCOM students moving all around the east coast every month.

Anyone else have input?

Scpod, how far is St Pete, Tampa, etc from each other for those of use who aren't from the area?

Specifics/details are great to have to make this a thread of reference. Please try to keep it on topic too guys, :D Thanks.

If that's true then it's good, at least for those people who actually want to go to Knoxville. But, what about people who don't want to go there? Is there any provision for them?

Well, all core rotations are in knoxville. selectives and electives will also be in knoxville. The whole purpose of wanting to go to DCOM is knowing you'll do your rotations in the knoxville area. Nonetheless, there are some rotations you can do in Nashville and etc. Furthermore, you can opt to do electives and selectives, during your fourth year, in other cities.

To clarify things for DCOM....yes, a vast majority of CORE rotations will be done in Knoxville, with other rotation spots within 60 miles of your CORE site. They also plan to have some rotation spots in Chatanooga. But like scpod said, things can change. The school is in the process getting all their plans finalized and the 2011ers will have their rotation spots assigned before Christmas. As for selectives, they can be done with any adjunct doc in most specialties and most of them are around DCOM. As for electives, they can be done anywhere in the country with any doc, as well as internationally.

So yes, we will be the guinea pigs for rotations, but I am very confident in DCOM and the product they will give us. The adjunct docs that have given us some lectures have been outstanding and I am looking forward to rotating with them. And like camel said, altho DCOM is new, the people running the school are not. We have many people who have been, not only teaching for many years, but have been in administrative positions as well. Does this mean we won't have any bumps in the road, of course not, but if rotations go anything like the 1st year has, the bumps will be few and minor.

And I know Cooperstown NY just formed an exclusive contract with Columbia med school for rotation spots.

Yay for Bassett! The core rotation there was one of the big reasons I wanted to go to UNE, but waitlist it is. I still think I'm going to try to come home to do a couple of rotations though, the director of medical education there is such a nice guy, and my friend's dad :)

When I was applying this cycle, this issue was important to me. I don't want to have to move around every month or so during rotations due to family obligations. A huge selling point of Touro-NV was that all of the rotations can be completed in the Vegas area. (but, you CAN do away rotations as well if wanted)

I've confirmed this several times with Roger Corbman (Director of Admissions).

Just my $0.02 :D
Roselee

:thumbup:

At TUCOM_MI_CA, the 3 and 4th year students told me that they can stay at one place for the whole year to complete all the rotation requirements.

Do NOT to go VCOM if you are hoping to stay within a close radius for third year rotations. Only 9 students (out of about 150) get to stay in the Blacksburg area for the entire third year. Yes we do have 45 students that get to stay in the Bburg area for part of third year, but they have to do about 1/2 of their rotations at least an hour away. Another 36-45 students will get to do their third year in Roanoke (which is about 45 minutes away), but again only 9 of those students will do their entire third year in the Roanoke area. The others will be sent to more remote areas for about 1/2 of their rotations.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but the sites of the normal track at Western U are all within about 30 miles of COMP (just barely). The majority of rotations happen at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, which is about 27 miles away. It's a different story if you go into the Northwest Track...

Any other schools to add to the list? We have "forgotten" a few! Please add your input.

At GA-PCOM, they let you do all your rotations at your own house.

TT, you're really getting annoying with your sarcasm. :mad: There are some people who are really trying to get information which is pretty darn important to them and their lives. This can be a make or break thing for people with children.

You're not helping them.

To clarify things for DCOM....yes, a vast majority of CORE rotations will be done in Knoxville, with other rotation spots within 60 miles of your CORE site. They also plan to have some rotation spots in Chatanooga. But like scpod said, things can change. The school is in the process getting all their plans finalized and the 2011ers will have their rotation spots assigned before Christmas. As for selectives, they can be done with any adjunct doc in most specialties and most of them are around DCOM. As for electives, they can be done anywhere in the country with any doc, as well as internationally.

So yes, we will be the guinea pigs for rotations, but I am very confident in DCOM and the product they will give us. The adjunct docs that have given us some lectures have been outstanding and I am looking forward to rotating with them. And like camel said, altho DCOM is new, the people running the school are not. We have many people who have been, not only teaching for many years, but have been in administrative positions as well. Does this mean we won't have any bumps in the road, of course not, but if rotations go anything like the 1st year has, the bumps will be few and minor.

Let me add to what ND has said and also let the cameljockie know not to argue with an actual student who is getting ready to start rotations, even if at another school, about how rotations work.

First of all, cooper, Knoxville is anywhere from 1 - 1.5 hours away from campus, depending on destination...sorry.

Camel the rotations are very fluid in nature. The school cannot account for hospital buy-outs, closures, or a variety of other variables. Scpod is correct in that the admissions is only repeating what they have been told. Granted, our head of admissions is pretty knowledgeable in what is happening with the school. Since I do not know what you were told during your interview, which I guarantee will change, I will not go into that.

Now, the school is trying to set up core hospitals in many locations, not just Knoxville. The majority of core hospitals are in the Knoxville area but there are several about 130-200 miles away, and a few ~250 miles, and even as far away as ~350+ miles. I will not discuss locations so don't ask, since it will probably change. Also understand that there will probably be more slots available than will be used by our whole class.

Now, our school has discussed a "lottery" system after which we can swap. So if you want a particular area, it should not be difficult to go there. Also the core is only, I may be wrong, six months. So even if you don't particularly like it there, go somewhere else after your core.

I apologize for the long post since all I really wanted to say was that if you're a pre-med, don't argue with those that are going through it, even if at other locations.

TT, you're really getting annoying with your sarcasm. :mad: There are some people who are really trying to get information which is pretty darn important to them and their lives. This can be a make or break thing for people with children.

You're not helping them.
Look, I'm sorry you don't like my sarcasm. Your opinion on the matter has been noted. I have no doubt that people complain to you about it. On the same token, I get messages all the time from people who think its great. It isn't all great humor or anything, but it isn't supposed to be. The purpose of my sarcasm is to bring levity to an otherwise very stressful process. Don't try to imply something as idiotic as my posts somehow endangering the future of the children of the people posting here. Or do, I don't care. Anyone who reads what I wrote here, and takes it seriously, isn't getting into medical school. In fact, they're probably not getting into ITT Tech, for the chance at an exciting career in air conditioning repair.

I have given tons of advice on here, and even more in PM/e-mail exchanges. Particularly to people with similar backgrounds to mine. I've also read and edited more personal statements than I can count, and they come in on a pretty regular basis lately. Please don't try to tell me I'm not helping either. My whole purpose for being on here, even now that I'm accepted, is to help.

I know you're stressed out about school and you've got a family and whatever. You've got plenty to worry about, and my sarcasm shouldn't even make the list. It just isn't that big of a deal.

Look, I'm sorry you don't like my sarcasm. Your opinion on the matter has been noted. I have no doubt that people complain to you about it. On the same token, I get messages all the time from people who think its great. It isn't all great humor or anything, but it isn't supposed to be. The purpose of my sarcasm is to bring levity to an otherwise very stressful process. Don't try to imply something as idiotic as my posts somehow endangering the future of the children of the people posting here. Or do, I don't care. Anyone who reads what I wrote here, and takes it seriously, isn't getting into medical school. In fact, they're probably not getting into ITT Tech, for the chance at an exciting career in air conditioning repair.

I have given tons of advice on here, and even more in PM/e-mail exchanges. Particularly to people with similar backgrounds to mine. I've also read and edited more personal statements than I can count, and they come in on a pretty regular basis lately. Please don't try to tell me I'm not helping either. My whole purpose for being on here, even now that I'm accepted, is to help.

I know you're stressed out about school and you've got a family and whatever. You've got plenty to worry about, and my sarcasm shouldn't even make the list. It just isn't that big of a deal.

I agree:):)

I'm pretty sure you don't have to relocate at this school. The rotations are in NY or just over the bridge in Jersey from what I understand.

i am surprised that no one has mentioned UMDNJ.
They give you two options:
1. South jersey track - one hospital is next to the medical school and other one is 5 miles away.
2. North jersey track - one hospital for all of the rotations

You're not helping them.

Calm down there chief, there is plenty of useless information on SDN to side track even the most astute of people; I think TT brings some brevity to the whole situation.

Calm down there chief, there is plenty of useless information on SDN to side track even the most astute of people; I think TT brings some brevity to the whole situation.
While I 100% agree with Shyrem's opinion of TT in this situation I'd like to get back on topic here. While I occasionally enjoy slight derails (and TT's comments), I get annoyed when people but into threads like this so unless you want to mention more schools, feel free to take your comments to another thread. There are many of us that have families to consider which what my main purpose for this thread. Sarcastic comments aren't appreciated in informational topics such as this thread.

Thanks in advance :D

Rock on TT :thumbup:

Do NOT to go VCOM if you are hoping to stay within a close radius for third year rotations. Only 9 students (out of about 150) get to stay in the Blacksburg area for the entire third year. Yes we do have 45 students that get to stay in the Bburg area for part of third year, but they have to do about 1/2 of their rotations at least an hour away. Another 36-45 students will get to do their third year in Roanoke (which is about 45 minutes away), but again only 9 of those students will do their entire third year in the Roanoke area. The others will be sent to more remote areas for about 1/2 of their rotations.

Reasons I am glad that I did NOT get in here, and did get into LECOM-B!:D

Fantastic. That's a pretty good idea if more people did that! *hint hint*

No prob. There are other rotations available...I just made a list from most of the ones they gave me at my interview...LECOM-B students can also do the Erie rotations, if they so desire...

bump, anyone else like to contribute information?

bump, anyone else like to contribute information?

Not really, but I do have a question I've been dying to ask you. Are you a cylon?

And do you know Bob Dylan?

You are right but we do have a tentative list with numerous locations within 60 mile radius..as a current student let me tell ya my school's trying hard to compile student friendly locations. DCOM will give you the option of opting to do your electives at the locations affiliated classified as selectives. So for those who want to stay around the school area..you should be able to do all your core rotations/electives by not moving around a lot.

I'm in-line with SCPOD's logic with regard to the unknowns relevant to newly-established rotations. That said, for RVU-COM the majority of our slated clinical rotations are local (Denver and surrounding areas); there are some hospital affiliations in outlying areas (Pueblo, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs), but only a small percentage.

Just FYI & no longer heresay (common knowledge now): Univ of Colorado (UofC) has been formally notifying their accepted and waitlisted students that there will be a re-allocation of students to Anschutz (their teaching hospital). They (UofC) will be transitioning a large portion of their key teaching sites to the RVUCOM med school/med students over the coming years.

In addition, UofC is working very closely with RVUCOM, including cross faculty participation and medical teaching resources (cadavers, etc.) - as reported to UofC students recently. It's going to be a great relationship and the clinicals transition is what I was hoping would pan out.

Best to everyone in your med school endeavors! :thumbup: