Clinical Rotations: Schools where you don't have to relocate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have anything for NSU-COM, KCOM, DMU-COM, COMP, etc. There are a ton of schools that haven't been mentioned yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have anything for NSU-COM, KCOM, DMU-COM, COMP, etc. There are a ton of schools that haven't been mentioned yet.

I don't go to any of these schools, but from what I remember at interviews, NSU you can stay in the area, but some of the core sites the students said were not great. The sites in northern florida were difficult to get, and for the rural rotation you get shipped to somewhere different in Florida. And remember Florida is big, so think about that when you consider how far something else is.

DMU was trying to get more sites in Iowa this year, there is a thread in the osteo forums that talked about this issue at length. They lost some sites in Michigan/Ohio(can't remember). I asked many times, but b/c the changes just happened this year, I never felt comfortable, but you may with the possiblity that you end up in Ohio(although from what they had said, it was for the entire 2 years). Otherwise, it was an amazing school.

CCOM - all in chicago. Honestly, if the tuition wasn't so expensive, I would have considered it more. You can't beat the location, since there are also so many allo programs in the area if you want to do an allo residency or allo audition rotation.

KCOM, no clue, didn't apply.

anymore opinions? I think this is a good thread if we can get all the necessary information from current students :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather an actual KCOM student answer this for you, but from what I remember, very few stay in Kirksville. The rest go to various sites in Missouri, or Michigan, etc...literally all over.

Sorry to bump up an older thread, but does anyone have schools to add to this list? :)

Yep, if someone can talk about AZCOM or VCOM in more detail, that'd be awesome.

WCU in Mississippi opening in 2010 has "hub sites" in MS, AR and LA where you do years 3 and 4 in one place.

PCOM Georgia offers 3rd and 4th year in Atlanta area if you like as well as many other locations around the state.

My wife works for the University of Florida Medical School in Jacksonville, Florida. Shands Hospital, UF's teaching hospital has medical students from Nova, LECOM Brandenton and, by special agrement, any other DO school. I personally spoke with the medical school coordinator. This hospital loves DO students even though it is owned and operated by an M.D. medical school.

As for residencies, for example, of the General Surgery residents who started July 1, 2009, 3 of 8 were D.O. physicians. I don't know the number of other specialties but D.O. physicians are in ER, IM, even pathology. Doen't seem to be any discrimination.

At the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, D.O. physicans are in Family Medicine. UF Shands Hospital does not offer Family Medicine residencies.

Opportunities abound.

This thread could have been really useful :(

A lot of people just saying a bunch of random stuff about random schools.

I'll give some info about what I know, but do your own research, because this is just the information I've gathered.

COMP - Most likely don't have to move for core rotations

Nova - May have to move for core rotations, there are different "tracks," but you'd most likely only have to move to the area where the rotation sites are.

Touro NV - Don't have to move for core rotations

Touro CA - Lottery system determines who gets to stay in the area, many students do have to move for rotations, some students end up in MI or So Cal

DMU - Some have to move for rotations to other areas of the state, but aren't moving around constantly. Most students get to where they want to go, I believe, and you can most likely stay in the Des Moines area. (someone help me out on this one).

PCOM and CCOM - I believe both of these have core rotation sites in the area, so no need to move for the most part (Chicago for sure, PCOM pretty sure).

I think rotations are up there when choosing which school to attend. Anyone have any advice whether PCOM, NYCOM or LECOM-Erie has best rotations? I hope to do my residency in NY, which school sets rotations up for you, doesn't make you travel like crazy and in my case gives you an upperhand when trying to land residency in the NYC area? I heard LECOM often drops students from rotations sites because they don't pay hospitals, is this true?

Yep, if someone can talk about AZCOM or VCOM in more detail, that'd be awesome.

When I was at my AZCOM interview they said that out of the 250 students, 150 stay in the Phoenix area and the rest go elsewhere... Mostly other parts of Arizona, but some go to Ohio (I think? Pls correct me if I'm wong) because they have Osteopathic Orthopedic surgery rotations which are not available in the midwest. So it sounds like there's a pretty good chance of getting to stay if you want to or going somewhere else if you want to.

I think rotations are up there when choosing which school to attend. Anyone have any advice whether PCOM, NYCOM or LECOM-Erie has best rotations? I hope to do my residency in NY, which school sets rotations up for you, doesn't make you travel like crazy and in my case gives you an upperhand when trying to land residency in the NYC area? I heard LECOM often drops students from rotations sites because they don't pay hospitals, is this true?

Go to NYCOM if you want an upperhand for residency in NYC. 3rd year most rotations are in LI, Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. No rotations in Manhattan. 4th year you can go anywhere in NYC including hospitals in Manhattan. 3rd year sites include St. Barnabas, Lutheran med center, North Shore University Hosptial, Queens Hospital Med center, Good Samaritan, NUMC. Thats just a few there are many more on the list. Most of these hospitals are tertiary care centers or University Hospitals.

Go to NYCOM if you want an upperhand for residency in NYC. 3rd year most rotations are in LI, Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. No rotations in Manhattan. 4th year you can go anywhere in NYC including hospitals in Manhattan. 3rd year sites include St. Barnabas, Lutheran med center, North Shore University Hosptial, Queens Hospital Med center, Good Samaritan, NUMC. Thats just a few there are many more on the list. Most of these hospitals are tertiary care centers or University Hospitals.

Thank you so much! :)

As someone who lives 8 miles from CCOM, I can say yes the core sites are in the Chicagoland area. But, that is a big area. The rotations at Swedish Covenant in Olympia Fields, and a good number of the other ones will definitely require relocation. Honestly, I cant see any other way. Those are far from campus. Even Lutheran General in Park Ridge can be done if you lived near campus but you would definitely require serious budegting of time for the commute. Not exactly down the street.

As for the few hospital rotations actually in Chicago or Cook County, some of them would probably require relocation. Mt. Sinai is on the South Side of the city and, by the way, in a very crappy neighborhood. Trust me. It isn't nice. I dont know how CCOM's rotation assignment system works. Choice, Lottery, or just luck of the draw I dont know. I have an interview on 10/20 at CCOM and this is actually one of my big questions.

I'm really glad somebody started this discussion... I feel like it's a really important issue and I'm extremely surprised at how little information I've received at the four interviews I've been to so far. I think knowing whether or not I'm going to need to move in two years, possibly to another state is HUGE! I'm in a long term relationship, and I feel that it's one thing to ask my boyfriend to move to one of 15 places in the country with me, but to ask him to do that only to move again in 2 years?! Even if that's what's going to happen, I'd like to go into it as informed as possible! Thanks for all the info, guys!:thumbup:

LMU-DCOM, to my understanding, has changed a little bit. One of the Class of 2007 can probably elaborate over what I know. A lot of rotations are now held within the Wellmont Health System at hospitals no more than ~1.5 hour radius around the campus. Three hospitals are within 30 minutes of one another and two additional Wellmont facilities are separated from those three but only 10-15 minutes apart from one another.

This thread is an AMAZING idea. Clinical rotation sites are one of the most important aspects of selecting a medical school, and one that is often looked over by pre-medical students. Does anyone have any objections to creating a list in the thread and adding to it like the ones in the interview invitation threads??? IE have all the schools listed, we will use the info already in the thread to write about it and people can add info and write about schools that don't have info ??

This thread is an AMAZING idea. Clinical rotation sites are one of the most important aspects of selecting a medical school, and one that is often looked over by pre-medical students. Does anyone have any objections to creating a list in the thread and adding to it like the ones in the interview invitation threads??? IE have all the schools listed, we will use the info already in the thread to write about it and people can add info and write about schools that don't have info ??

Just having a list of the rotation sites doesn't tell the whole picture... that's the problem. It's not like you can just pick and choose wherever you wanna go whenever you want. You really gotta research which sites take a lot of students, which ones take a few, where do most students end up going, etc. It's tough!

Just having a list of the rotation sites doesn't tell the whole picture... that's the problem. It's not like you can just pick and choose wherever you wanna go whenever you want. You really gotta research which sites take a lot of students, which ones take a few, where do most students end up going, etc. It's tough!

I totally agree. However, I think that a generated list of schools where you didn't have to travel around might help. Another big factor is quality of sites. You're correct too, it's tough and frankly, you can't figure it out 100% until you are really there. I mean, you can definitely research, pay attention to SDN threads and comments, but it's still tough to really know until you're going through it on your own 3rd/4th year.

I totally agree. However, I think that a generated list of schools where you didn't have to travel around might help. Another big factor is quality of sites. You're correct too, it's tough and frankly, you can't figure it out 100% until you are really there. I mean, you can definitely research, pay attention to SDN threads and comments, but it's still tough to really know until you're going through it on your own 3rd/4th year.

A sticky thread with a list would be cool anyway, though. Something clean.